IMDb > Big Fat Gypsy Gangster (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Big Fat Gypsy Gangster More at IMDbPro »

Complete Rubbish

Author: Motorbrain from United Kingdom
1 October 2011

I gave up on this after half an hour, no jokes at all, a complete waste of time. A bit like watching some mates doing a home video version of Eastenders only worse. I can't believe anyone would release this. Lots of 10/10 reviews here that must be fake. Ricky Grover cannot act to save his life. This film is so bad I'm compelled to warn people to avoid it. Big Fat piece of turd would be a better title. It stinks. Watch the fast show mock up cockney barrel of monkeys if you want some cockney gangster comedy. Why do you have to write 10 lines to review this when one word will do fine. For gods sake just let me submit the bloody review.

Complete and utter rubbish!

Author: bluetd5 from United Kingdom
28 July 2012

The only people to find this funny must be ten year olds on crack cocaine. Seriously, this film just isn't funny in any way shape or form. I was hoping for a snatch type film, all I got was tripe with a load of amateurs running about like headless chickens. The plot was non existent, the acting was terrible, proof of why some of the actors can only get work on Eastenders.

This film was a waste of electricity, time and effort, I'd rather stick needles under my finger nails than watch this film for more than ten minutes. Believe me, it gets no better after 10 minutes or an hour! The best bit of the film was when I switched it off! I really wanted this British film to be of a high standard, it wasn't, far, far from it.

Vanity Projects are should be banned....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
28 July 2012

Bulla is labelled 'the most dangerous man in Britain'. After serving sixteen years at her majesty's pleasure Bulla is out on the streets again, but things start to go wrong from the moment he steps out when he finds out he's lost everything on the outside world.

Fleeced by the same corrupt copper that put him behind bars, even his favourite 'Aunt Queenie' is about to lose the roof from over her head; in Bulla's world family is everything.

It's time for Bulla to fight back Get ready for a white knuckle ride into London's underworld as the most dangerous man in Britain sets about reclaiming his crime empire....

An awful movie, featuring a cast of talented people, who just look like they have had a favour called in by Grover and look highly, highly embarrassed.

Grover thinks he is making a Guy Ritchie movie crossed with Bronson. The truth is, dire film like this were being made in the late nineties, when we had drivel like Hard Men, and love, honour and obey.

The film is virtually unwatchable, and the only reason to see this, is to look at all the talent he has here, and how mortified they look.

As bad as the title suggests.

A Balla Laughs

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
4 August 2013

This is a very low budget, strange rather surreal and off the wall but a surprisingly watchable film.

Bulla portrayed Ricky Grover who as well as starring in it, directed it, co wrote it and produced it. I think he might even did the catering and sweeping up at the end of the shoot.

Bulla plays a gypsy gangster just released from prison after a bent cop put him behind bars. After his release he is being followed by a television documentary crew and his Aunty is about to lose her pub whilst being possessed by ghosts and his local boxing club has heard the final bell.

Bulla is trying to to climb back to the top of the heap but the world has changed a lot since he has been inside.

Grover probably called in a few favours from friends when he did his stint in Eastenders and other shows he was also aided by the hit TV show, Big Fat Gypsy wedding hence the punning title.

Its a mixed bag, rather marmite, some people will hate this film, and its low budget limitations are plain to see but its reach has to be admired. Grover puts everything in his performance as the hyper Bulla and there are some nifty performances from Rufus Hound, Omid Djalili and especially Steven Berkoff as the Eastern mystic. Its funny, violent, weird but worth a watch.

Utter Rubbish

Author: pault-webster from United Kingdom
24 February 2012

I can't really fully express just how bad this movie is! What were they thinking of when they made it? It was a sad day for British comedy when this pile was released. There is no real thread to the storyline, other than it follows a random pattern of events and is presented in a stereotype, mocumentary fashion that has really been done to death, and to greater effect.

Many of the subject themes are not only offencive, and I don't mean offencive in a shock comedy 'ok it's offencive but it's funny' way...I mean just plain offencive!

Sorry to be negative, but there really is not one good thing I can think of to say about this film......apart from that it does eventually end.

Not what i was expecting but still brilliant!

Author: billy hunt from United Kingdom
27 March 2016

Watched this film by chance Saturday night, brilliant! Very very funny, the scene with the bent copper is genius, along with the cemetery scene had my jaw aching with laughter. The film is quite surreal at times but laugh out loud funny with unexpected actors cropping up throughout. We was expecting run of the mill British gangster flick but it turned out to be a hilarious off the wall watch. Perhaps the storyline didn't flow as well as it could have done but it didn't matter because the funniness more than made up for it. It obviously had something special going for it to involve the cast which included Peter Capaldi, Tulisa, Rufus Hound, Steven Bercoff, to name a few... be warned though, this is not a standard gangster film but an off the wall comedy... if you like your comedy, a must watch. Zum! Zum!

Propa norty? Propa nonsesne more like.

Author: spirals23 from United Kingdom
5 September 2012

The second worst Britsh movie I have ever seen - which is going some as the modern Brit movie crowd only deal in cliché when it comes to the flicks. You even get a bunch of smug posh people lurching round big old houses or a gang of awful 'villains' with cameos from plastic gangsters and soccer players.

For some reason most Brit movies feel like they have been made up by a bunch of self satisfied tits talking utter bs in some rich fool's over sized kitchen after a night out drinking Vodka Gimlets in Soho and snorting poorly washed cocaine.

Oh...wait a minute.

Propa Norty Geezahs. -10.

New contender for crown of worst British gangster film

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
4 November 2015

There are no two ways about it: BIG FAT GYPSY GANGSTER is a terrible, terrible film. It's a skinflint production, written, directed, and starring the same guy (the unknown and untalented Ricky Grover), and it's a wannabe gangster spoof about a hard man who comes out of jail and gets involved in various shenanigans with the local underworld.

BIG FAT GYPSY GANGSTER appears to be mining the likes of CHOPPER for inspiration as it portrays events in a quasi-documentary style. Yes, this is supposed to be a comedy, but the laughs are of the lowest common denominator style; nothing funny here, just offensive scenes of dwarfs being abused and other lowbrow stuff. It truly is a bottom of the barrel production, with zero redeeming values.

Grover is one of those modern leading men in low budget British cinema (like Simon Phillips) who have no discernible charisma or acting talent. In order to put some names on the DVD case, a bunch of has-beens have been incorporated randomly into the storyline, the most incongruous of whom is an embarrassed-looking Derek Acorah. Others, like Steven Berkoff, Dave Legeno, and Geoff Bell, should really know better. Cameos from the likes of Michael Smiley, Peter Capaldi, and Laila Morse just seem to consist of them swearing constantly, which I suppose is supposed to be funny - if you're a 14-year-old schoolboy.

Had to turn it off!

Author: Liam Tony Oliver from London
31 March 2013

Being a fan of British film making and gangster related films I looked forward to watching. You would have more fun watching paint dry in my opinion. The best part for me was when I turned it off! What the hell were they thinking having Tulisa from N Dubz appear!? I would like to know if anyone actually enjoyed watching and if the cast were that desperate for money that they threw their self respect and reputations away to be a part of it! I would have liked to rate this film a -10 but the option isn't there. Very disappointing considering some of the actors involved. A few actors played their parts well but on the whole the plot, direction and awful humor made me loose interest in the first 10 minutes. Big fat gypsy gangster? More like Big Fat load of rubbish.

Bulla is Genius

Author: sparksonetwo from London
17 September 2011

What can I say - I've been waiting for this film since I heard it was in production - - and not only was I not disappointed - it was funnier than I thought possible.

A great bit of British comedy with some amazing actors - Steven Berkoff to names but one.

There are some real funny gags in here and it just goes to show Grover hasn't lost his punch...The character of Jik Jikkels played by Omid Djalili is also hilarious and there is a scene in there with a corrupt policemen that still leaves me in stitches - OMG! Can't recommend this film enough