IMDb > Repeaters (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Repeaters

Repeaters More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

A real good watch........Great ending to.

Author: suissenavy from Switzerland
7 August 2011

Just saw this and thought I would give it a review as it entertained me. There is a lot of hardcore scenes due to one characters O.T.T. maniac tendencies. It really is enjoyable and reaches full speed at an admirable pace. I won't bother re-rewriting the plot synopsis posted with the film, just tell you that you can expect all the same rules as the Bill Murray film about the same situation, just here we see a more sinister side to the event. We also have three very troubled people trying to figure out why this is happening to them, on this day. The climax is cool and don't turn your head too soon when you see the first credits role.OK?

Old Storyline, Great Story of Redemption, Awful Twist in the Last Scene

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
20 November 2012

In Mission City, Kyle Halsted (Dustin Milligan), Sonia Logan (Amanda Crew) and Michael "Mike" Weeks (Richard de Klerk) are interned in a rehabilitation facility run by Bob Simpson (Benjamin Ratner). One Wednesday, they have a pass to go outside the site and Kyle visits his sister Charlotte Halsted (Alexia Fast) at the Mission Secondary School but she does not talk to him. Sonia goes to the hospital where her father is terminal, but she does not visit him. Mike visits his father at the Maximum Security Correctional Facility where he is prisoner and the man does not talk to Mike.

During the night, there is a storm and Kyle, Sonia and Mike have electrical shocks and on the next morning, they awaken on the same day. When they realize that the Wednesday is repeating over and over again, their first reaction is to have fun with dangerous situations. Soon Kyle and Sonia disclose secrets and they decide to use the days to resolve personal issues mending their lives. But Mike decides to route through a criminal life believing that on the next morning, everything would be over.

A couple of months ago, I started watching "Repeaters" on DVD with family and friends at home and we decided to stop. Today I have just watched alone and despite the old storyline of many other movies, I found a great story of redemption of youths that have the chance to rethink their lives and mend their lives. Unfortunately there is an awful twist in the last scene that I prefer to ignore. The question is, what would the writer and the director be thinking including such stupid last scene? A sequel? My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Labirinto do Tempo" ("Time Labyrinth")

strong performances

Author: trashgang from Midian
22 September 2011

When I was looking at the cast I thought, oh no not another teenager flick like Twilight or that kind of trash. I have nothing against teenager flicks, I liked Red Riding Hood and Jennifer's Body, but I have something against flicks that are about nothing just some love story. But when I saw Michael (Richard De Klerk) I remembered him from the 4400 series, and the face of Amanda Crew did ring a bell too, Final Destination 3. Dustin Milligan, the third main lead I knew from The Messengers so I knew they could deliver their stuff. And they did, the performances are excellent and you really believe the characters. Somehow the story reminded me of Triangle. You better have full attention to understand it all. It's an excellent flick not only for teens but also for Sci-Fi freaks and for people who can dig thrillers. I won't go that far to say it's a drama because the Sci-Fy takes the main part. It's never explained what has happened to them but the story is strong enough to let you forget that. Their is some red stuff in it, not that it's creepy or anything but it can offend the people with weak stomachs. So it's a bit for everybody, or did I repeat myself?

Film school film

Author: teainthesierras from United States
17 July 2012

Repeaters contains numerous film school conventions and setups -- pretty shots with shallow depth of field while characters say things that sound profound but are meaningless. It feels like a movie with the mission to look like a real movie. Bessai certainly wanted to make something thinky and challenging. But we've seen this movie already a thousand times and its stale dialogue. The late night group drug trip gone awry is just so cliché. It would have been much edgier to avoid the MTV soundtrack and instead of trying to sell us on how wild these kids are (Fast Times at Ridgemont High was much more harrowing as a comedy), go into their real fears and dreams. It starts with writing not camera work.

Welcome to Purgatory

Author: Spacebaby1 from United Kingdom
26 January 2012

This remake of Groundhog Day has some things to recommend it. It is not the greatest movie ever made, and it is skating the clichés. You have to have some guts to remake a big successful movie, and work the clichés and not drop into crap movie territory. This movie remains a good solid flick. It takes advantage firstly of an implicit nondescript but plaintive Canadian tone, which reminded me of Atom Egoyan's 'Exotica' or 1989's 'Roadkill.' It looks American, but little things scream that it isn't. Interesting, and this kept the film from becoming hackneyed and obvious.

On top of this, I thought solid acting from the 3 leads and supporting actors, especially Alexia Fast, allowed some of this peculiar non-American tone of introspection to surface. The three leads all had clear trajectories, and I think de Klerk really anchored them. The acting was not over the top and it stayed forlorn and gritty, even when two characters are redeemed. It is likely that the characters have already left the mortal plane, at the beginning of the film, so their experiences are basically spiritual - but their mortal free will remains. I thought they could have gone deeper with the purgatory idea - especially the day after Sonia comes back the first time. It would have been intriguing to pursue de Klerk's descent.

Instead of going deeper into what was happening on a spiritual level, the director opted to keep the action going, and keep the film clipping along at a good pace. What it lost in depth, it gained somewhat in some good physical acting between de Klerk and Milligan. Milligan in particular settled by the end of the film into the central role, a kind of scrapped up gilded hero that made him really look like Hollywood star material. But I don't think he could have gotten there without de Klerk, Crew and Fast supporting him.

Crew did a very nice job of opening up. Her intimate scenes with Milligan were extremely well done - touching and not contrived. They cultivated some gentleness and actual on screen chemistry. She faced a similar connundrum to Heather Donahue in 'Blair Witch' - a low grade wardrobe role where a girl with the same hat on all the way through has to become the psychological and emotional catalyst for two males.

All in all, some choppy bits, but a good enough film that got the job done. It could have been deeper, could have been more big budget and glossier, but frankly only the former would have made the pretty good performances here even better.

Old idea, new story

Author: Gerard van den Akker (monnikje) from Amsterdam, the Netherlands
13 August 2011

Repeaters is a film about three drugs addicts in a clinic who all got one evening at the same time an electrical shock, after which that same day repeats for them several times. Each one of them has issues: Kyle sees his younger sister sliding down the same road he went, Sonia was abused by her father who will die that day, but whom she still needs to say goodbye too, and Michael, whose dad is in jail because of him, and doesn't want to talk to him. While in the beginning they enjoy the freedom this repeating day gives, they all follow their own path in the end.

The comparison with Groundhog Day, a movie with a similar idea, is quickly made. But where that film with Bill Murray is a comedy, this one has a more serious tone. It's not about the idea of repeating days, but about the way people interact in such a condition. We see Michael, who was bullied before, rise up from his underdog position and transform into a bully himself, as an opposite to both Sonia and Kyle, who amend their ways.

The acting wasn't the best I've seen, but still OK. I found it a fresh look at the idea Groundhog Day gave us. A nice movie to watch, and I surely enjoyed it, but I wouldn't watch it a second time like I would with Groundhog Day. If you're into movies like The Butterfly Effect, Groundhog day and such, go watch this one and enjoy. If you are just interested by the idea of repeating days and what you would do with it, better watch Groundhog Day.

Cast And Crew Know The Magic

Author: Mike Elliott (AlanMichaelElliott) from Windsor, Ontario, Canada
21 August 2011

The cast and crew of this film know what it takes to make an interesting movie. I was quite surprised to discover it was a Canadian thriller comprised of all Canadian actors and crew. I did not realize this until after I watched the movie and then checked out the movie's details on IMDb. Repeaters' repeating theme is sort of another take on Groundhog Day starring Bill Murray and though this duplication takes away from any claim Repeaters could have to originality the two movies are totally different in plot and genre. There are some unexplained parts in the storyline's flow but I do not think they are strong enough to throw the audience out of it's constant comprehension of the general stream. In other words Repeaters has the ability to entrance an audience and so thereby can be appreciated as a good, reasonable piece of movie entertainment. My congratulations go out to the crew and to the talented young actors for not engaging in melodrama but instead delivering a good, down-to-earth performance with excellent production effects. Let's see more of these 'way to do it' movies which appear so very together. Well done, cast and crew - 'you've got the feel'!

high entertainment value

Author: s g
8 August 2011

Any movie set in the country where trees outnumber the cast/crew and plausible town population is well on its way to drawing me in. The scene sets the mood for any film and it was chosen wisely for this Canadian country thriller. The filmmakers gave a taste of the natural surroundings of the location to give some of its own say in the plot which is a big win. It had a bit of feel from Rambo/First Blood where you get the environment playing a part in the characters with strong sounds from the river and a dirt bike. The dialog came across as unforced and played out creatively into a spire of events that held high entertainment value. Mid level psychological value but more entertaining than trying to draw on conceptual values over its own path and plot. This film kept me watching without a yawn and did a quality job of taking the expected state of affairs to the next level. While admittedly most movies drawn up these days use a bit of the same sleazy concepts, this one I believe nestles down into its own unique little fortified holding and fires upon the viewer with a quality helping of raw.

pretty good DRAMA---

Author: dahauk-1 from United States
29 March 2013

First off, don't watch the trailer. It gives away too much of the meat of the movie that you probably shouldn't see till it plays out past you. One of those go-in-blind movies. I just watched it and it's a pretty good DRAMA. Don't expect flashy special effects here. 3 young adults in a half-way house experience an electrical shock during a storm and get stuck in a day-loop, not unlike Groundhog Day. This is NOT a comedy. The 3 realize pretty early on what is going on and decide to 'ride it' doing different things every repeat, goofy and fun early on, then turning dark..and deadly. Good photography, direction and especially good acting from the three unknown leads. Worth the time.

Not a synopsis

Author: knockemdeadkidd23 from Lethbridge, AB
17 March 2013

As it states, I'm not going to repeat what you already know.

In the strange event that today repeated itself, tomorrow, and the next day, and so on. Questions you would ask yourself would be grand, and this movie does NOT leave many questions.

If you were given the same day to do what ever you want, would you kill, would you murder, would you rape, or would you save a life? these are possibly already questions you may have.

Luckily this movie gets to the darker groundhogs day that some people may have been thinking about the whole time. I mean why wouldn't some one want to go rob a bank, or possibly commit a even more heinous crime? Tomorrow it wouldn't count right?

This movie bends your emotions, plays with your mind, and doesn't stop until the end.

This movie does lack real depth, which may cause you to not be as close with the characters, or may cause you to lose interest. But with that being said with what depth it tries to create it isn't a reason that this film should be avoided, not by any means.

The filming is perfect, it captures the lovely British Columbia that I've loved since I was a kid, and happens to make a wicked back drop for the entire film.

There was only one actress I knew in this entire film, which was Amanda Crews, asides from that I have never seen any of the other actors/actresses in anything. If they have been in several other works than that would explain how their acting helps this movie on so many levels, it will play with every emotion no matter how heartless you are.

But if this is actually one of their few jobs they pulled it off perfectly.

I couldn't give this anything less than a 6