IMDb > StarStruck (2010) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

StarStruck (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Has An Excellent Start

Author: aimless-46 from Kentucky
14 February 2010

"Starstruck" (2010) is as good as most Disney movies and much better than some (insert "Princess Protection Program" here). Think "Win a Date with Tad Hamilton!" (2004) minus that film's PG elements.

At its core it is another fairy tale as Kalamazoo teenager Jessica Olsen (nicely played by Danielle Campbell) visits Hollywood and accidentally meets mega-star teen heartthrob Christopher Wilde (Sterling Knight). Knight is joined by his "Sonny With A Chance" cast-mate Brandon Mychal Smith.

The secret of this type of fairy tale lies in how well they connect with viewers; if the movie can get viewers to strongly identify with the character as she gets a huge rush from suddenly becoming part of the celebrity world, the viewer will get hooked. Then the challenge is to keep them hooked for as long as possible. "Starstruck" hooks you and provides this vicarious rush well past the midway point, in large part because of the twist of having Jessica rather under-whelmed by the circumstances. But eventually the wheels fall off, or in this case sink into an unlikely mud hole. The illusion bursts and everyone crashes back to reality because it is impossible to suspend disbelief when the AMC Pacer (Petunia) sinks into the mire. From that point on it is just overwrought melodrama until the movie finally recovers and goes out on a very nice reconciliation sequence.

Chelsea Staub is again unsuccessful at playing a mean girl (remember the "Bratz" disaster). Too much natural likability, you would think they would have figured this out by now.

Maggie Castle does a good job as Jessica's older sister Sara, who throughout most of the film is far more into Chad than is Jessica. Abbie Cobb plays Sara's friend AJ. If imitation is really the sincerest form of flattery, then Kay Panabaker should feel real good these days; as Cobb joins Bridgit Mendler and Meaghan Jett Martin (who can successfully play a mean girl) as yet another of Disney's bleached out Panabaker wannabe clones.

Then again, what do I know? I'm only a child.

I love this movie.

Author: american-beauty60 from Egypt
19 February 2011

Honestly, the best DCOM since very long time. It has everything.. comedy, romance, music. All the qualities that make a movie a perfect one for me.

I love how Disney movies are all sweat and really descent for kids and teens. I always love to watch them. Camp Rock movies are great too.

This one has really some amazing songs. They were very heartwarming too.

Sterling Knight is such a rising star. I adore him very much. He is quite talented. I esp. love him in SWAC.

Danielle Campbell is a very pretty actress. She played her role well witch I guess was not easy for a girl her age.

Overall, this movie was a real pleasure to watch. I really really wish they make a 2nd one.

I liked it.

Author: Tera Swearngin from United States
7 May 2010

I have to admit when I saw the trailer for this movie, I had no desire to watch it.

Well, one night I was bored and decided to watch it. I liked it.

I think Sterling Knight was great in it. He is the only reason I watch Sonny with a Chance. I wanted to see what he would be like in a different role.

Danielle Campbell was okay, I believe she has acting potential. I liked her character because she wasn't easy, she made Christopher work.

I found the grandma and the older sister endearing, for some reason. I'll admit the dialogue was cheesy in some parts and cliché.

But over all, the movie is worth watching.

One of the Better Disney Originals

Author: the_unique_jasjas from United States
26 March 2010

I was deeply surprised by this movie. Considering I haven't enjoyed a Disney Original small-screen movie since Halloweentown, I was very reluctant to watch this one. Not to mention, I am not a fan of Sonny with a Chance, on which Sterling is a regular cast member. But I can happily say that I have never been more surprised by a made-for-TV film.

There is something in the essence of this film that draws the viewer in and keeps them deeply invested in the storyline. The young talent that makes up most of the cast is a realistic mix of good and bad acting, with the two leads- Danielle and Sterling- bringing far more to their characters than the predictable dialogue affords. Sterling, as the typical teen idol who lives life in a fantasy world as fake as a Hollywood movie, does favorable credit to the role of the selfish and arrogant teen music sensation Christopher Wilde. And Danielle, as his feet-on-the-ground, non-fan love interest Jessica Olsen, offers a sense of chemistry to the pairing that I rarely see in Disney's Originals. Neither is a brilliant actor, but they truly complement each other's talents and flaws in a realistic manner.

The plot is a recycled story to be sure. But there is a lot of originality in the specific scenes. For instance, a trip to the ER, and the sinking of a car are what writers refer to as 'plot devices', but the style in which these scenes were written, shot, and acted gives them new life.

Perhaps the main detriment to this film is the predictable dialogue. While there is a freshness to the script of this film, there are several moments in the action where I was literally able to finish the characters' lines before they did so on the screen.

Overall, this is a solid film with a feel-good vibe, but its flare is not nearly as strong as the film makers would have wished it to be. 7 out 10, and well worth a watch if you are a Sterling fan, a Disney Originals fan, or a Danielle fan. But do not expect perfection; you will not find it. And I think that is the heart of the charm of this movie- the flaws.

SWEET sweet sweet MOVIE!!!!!!

Author: Steve Mason from United States
20 February 2011

I love this movie like a lot. A real descent DCOM which sends great message to kids and teens esp. those who seem to be obsessed with celebrities so much that they treat them if they were angels or something!!!! I am a 20 years old guy who is not supposed to be fan of such movies but.... this one has really impressed me with its catchy song, funny moments and other cute romantic moments.... it was almost perfect.

I hate HSM movies by the way. They have nothing special except for the songs off course.... they were good but.... the story lines of these musical series were pretty lame and not interesting.

This one is a real exception. It is not like the best movie I ever seen but.... it is on my best movies list. Thanks Disney.

I loved this movie :)

Author: mprcperry-205-947816 from United States
5 November 2011

Seriously, I loved this movie. It was cute and sweet. It created a nice mood. After I watched it, I wanted to see it again.

It reminded me of "10 things I hate about you". I love all "Taming of the Shrew" re-makes. I thought it was kind of funny that the non-famous girl is the biggest brat and has the most temper tantrums. If you like this type of movies, you should give this one a chance. It's fun and entertaining. What else can you really ask of one of these movies, right?

(I might like better music, but even that could be worse. I also wondered where that mud-puddle in the middle of the desert came from, but whatever)

My point is that "Starstruck" doesn't tell a new story, but it's one that I always enjoy in all its incarnations.

Okay Movie, Bad Main Character

Author: Fairley Lloyd
6 July 2013

Starstruck is a pretty average Disney film. To be honest I wasn't extremely hyped when I first say the trailer back in 2010, but I decided to watch it anyway because it was on a Friday night and I had nothing else to do.

The script itself was so-so; an average girl (Jessica Olsen) ends up running into the famous teen popstar Christopher Wilde. However, she isn't like most girls Christopher knows-she's not infatuated with him and even admits that she doesn't like him because he comes across as fake. But throughout the movie they start to understand each other and start to fall in love. Just your average DCOM.

However, I will say that, although I liked the film alright, I did not like the main character, Jessica Olsen. I, like other reviewers have been saying, found Jessica to be a very unlikable character, which is strange as she is the protagonist (or one of them, as Christopher is also a main character).

At the very beginning of the film (and throughout much of it later on), Jessica acts very hostile towards Christopher. She seems to hate him for no reason other than that he's a famous celebrity and assumes he's a jerk for this reason. Where this assumption/animosity comes from is never explained, which further frustrated me because it was just downright confusing. She seriously drove me up a wall, and I would like to rant about her more if IMDb let me put more words into my review.

The rest of the story is so-so, but-like I said earlier-it was entertaining enough. I just wish Jessica wasn't so unlikable.

Entertaining with some uninteresting characters

Author: TheAE from United States
6 December 2012

I was trying to find another Geek Charming-esque movie to enjoy, but this one wasn't nearly as fun. The main characters seemed lifeless, and that's mostly due to the writing.

Jessica, the protagonist, is always moping around because her sister is said to be more popular and beautiful, while in reality Jessica is undoubtedly the prettiest girl in the movie. The conclusion was predictably sappy. However, I paused the movie halfway through, and later I was interested enough to finish it.

It gets a solid B-.

Geek Charming was better.

I admit it, I was quite star struck by this movie!

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
15 March 2011

StarStruck is not the best movie I have ever seen, but I was really surprised at how much I liked it. I will be honest, I was actually expecting it to not be very good from what I saw of the trailer. I was expecting bad acting, predictable story ideas, forgettable songs, terrible dialogue and mediocre filming which was what I disliked most about the High School Musical franchise and the Hannah Montana movie.

So I was really surprised that even with the flaws StarStruck I was quite taken with. As I've said, the film isn't perfect as it is too short and some of the dialogue doesn't convince and comes across as cheesy. That said, while the story is recycled and somewhat predictable in a sense, it is also heart-warming and sweet. I also liked how StarStruck was filmed, the editing was quick and efficient without being slip-shod and the lighting, sets and costumes are very pleasing to the eye.

The songs also surprised me and in a good way too. They weren't forgettable or distracting, instead they were tuneful with cute melodies and quite meaningful lyrics. I also loved the film's feel-good style, assured direction and slick pacing. The acting is nothing groundbreaking, but it is quite good all the same. Sterling Knight and Danielle Campbell are very likable and they share a comfortable chemistry. Chelsea Staub is decent enough, if not quite delving into her character, a little more bitchiness would've been nice.

All in all, a refreshingly decent movie without being groundbreaking, then again it didn't need to be and it didn't try to be either. What it tried to be was a tuneful, sweet and likable film with assured acting and style and good songs and it succeeded, looking at the trailer I wouldn't have thought I would have said that about StarStruck. 8/10 Bethany Cox

Great Idea, Poor execution

Author: Kyle Mallory (kemallory340@gmail.com) from United States
19 February 2010

I have to say that I do like the plot of this movie. I thought it was different, it certainly isn't something I've seen before. However, This is clearly a made for TV kids movie. The script is cheesy (normal for Disney, though) and poorly directed. They just don't make it seem real. That seems to be one of Disney's biggest problems lately, they make these movies that are supposed to be inspirational or lesson learning for kids, but they're too unrealistic. This follows suit in the Disney portfolio.

I think it's worth watching once or twice but it's no masterpiece. If you like Disney, you'll like Starstruck. Even if you don't like Disney, you might find it mildly enjoyable.