IMDb > Break Ke Baad (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Break Ke Baad More at IMDbPro »

Break is Good

Author: Addy Dos from United States
11 January 2011

i for one enjoyed the movie, i don't know why yooou guys are giving it such bad reviews. i watched the movie with a clear mind. i don't think there is any movie in bollywood that hasn't been done before. Most bollywood storyline all fall in the same categories which is why it is important for the actors to try to deliver a great performance so they can stand out. i applaud deepika for her role in this movie and i encourage imran to try to get out of his comfort zone and explore different horizons. i could relate to break ke baad because i was once in that situation and i understood deepikas character wanting to take a break because being in a long term relationship could be suffocating. overall, i like the movie, hope to see more from the pair because they have great screen chemistry and a bright future ahead of them. TO IMRAN and DEEPIKA!!!!

Watchable but never particularly special

Author: Peter Young from Earth
19 July 2011

I watched Break Ke Baad without expectations and it neither surprised nor disappointed me. It was quite a watchable movie but way too ordinary to be memorable. The film follows the relationship of Abhay and Aaliya, their love, friendship and differences. At times the movie manages to work with its light nature and looks quite believable and fun, but at others it's also too subtle for the story it tells and lacks the power to convince and captivate. The story is very simple, and it could have been more interesting had the direction and the script been better handled. Here, the narrative style is a bit dark and plain, and it often seems like it was taken too seriously by the makers, which is odd considering the fact that it does not really have much substance. The film's music is quite okay although, like the film, it is nothing particularly special. The main lead Imran Khan and Deepika Padukone are well cast, and frankly enough they are not really challenged by some great roles to begin with, so don't expect much. Imran is okay. Deepika is better in a performance that is pretty nice and more impressive than his but never particularly impressive in and of itself. She is undeniably pretty and attractive and something about her in this film works and may improve her prospects in the film industry, but she is far from being a glowing talent (like Anushka Sharma, for example). To sum it up, Break Ke Baad is overall an ordinary feature which does have its moments but after all can be watched only once, at least according to me.

A Refreshment in the age of clichés

Author: prachi1690 from dartmouth, united states
8 March 2011

I am still wondering how this movie got bad reviews. This is of one of the better Hindi romantic movies I have seen lately.Yes ! It does have its cliché moments but it is still a fresh air.

Directed by first timer Danish Aslam, it is about a young couple. They have been together for it seems forever and they are growing out of the relation. They want to restore the relation so decides to take a break. And that's all there is to movie. But its being handle so well It has this very real young vibe to it. Also, it brings some real issues for the young generation of India. The movie's music adds to it.

Have to admit that I am not big fan of Deepiak Padoukone but her performance blew me away. She was so invested in the movie that it was hard to remember her glamor self. It was first time I felt she was acting. And Imran Khan was amazing. Inspite of what people have been saying he has some true potential to grow in very fine actor.

Overall, I would suggest this movie over any recent Hindi "love story". It is predictable but it does raises some interesting questions.

I'd throw eggs on the screen if I wasn't watching it on my laptop.

Author: Rahul Hanchinamane from India
16 January 2011

If you haven't watched this movie yet, you're lucky you've got 2 hours or something of your life in your hands. DO NOT watch this movie even if you're bored!

The movie starts out with some really bad acting, mostly from Deepika, and from then on the story starts shpeeling you with the ridiculous load of whimsical nonsense. There's no character development, no depth in the story. I wouldn't be surprised if they shot the whole movie in under 20 days.

Don't even hope of the story improving after "Break Ke Baad". If you have seen this movie, you will understand when I say 'there's simply no story'. All this running around countries boils down to only this - girl wants space, boy's too much of a sissy to allow that.

I am - or rather was - a big fan of Deepika. I have watched every movie of her's right from the original debut movie 'Aishwarya' in Kannada (my native language).. and by god, she just keeps getting worse and worse. And Imran, dude you're a really good actor, choose your movies better.

The makers should take a break too from giving us such lifeless movies made with a dualistic mindset.

Author: bobbysing from India
27 January 2011

After watching numerous mediocre romantic projects releases recently, here is one more similar kind of lifeless product from the house of Kunal Kohli. Once again coming from a debutant director, Danish Aslam, the film raises a valid question that why a first time director decides to make his debut movie on such boring, uninteresting and sleepy kind of script which has nothing new or fresh to offer to its viewers.

Apart from this I made two conclusions after watching "Break Ke Baad". One, that Imran Khan has stopped taking any advice from his perfectionist senior Aamir Khan, who earlier reportedly used to take a keen interest in his career. Imran's choice of projects after Aamir Khan's produced "Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na" clearly gives us the indication of his understanding and judgment of various projects & scripts. With no Hit Project post his debut movie, Imran now really needs to sit back and review his career seriously.

The second conclusion is about the leading lady Deepika Padukone, who I think is there in the industry only to make some quick money and then walk on to her marriage plans. With a lot more to learn in the acting department, Deepika looks almost the same in her every new movie and also has the same kind of act to offer. In fact its quite silly of both Imran and Deepika to sign "Break Ke Baad" which more or less revolves around the same kind of theme exploited in their previous movies such as JTYJN and LOVE AAJ KAL. So, after watching BKB one can only assume that either both the lead actors signed this movie without reading the script or they don't have any kind of script sense at all.

Apart from the completely outdated, overused and a routine storyline, the film hasn't got a single good scene to impress the viewer. Progressing at a very boring pace right from its first reel, the characters keep moving on the screen in their cool revealing dresses but you feel nothing for them till the end. The direction itself has so many flaws in it, which even allows you to have a little nap on your seat in its second half. For example, the story is set in Delhi and the lead pair reaches the mountains to have their adventures rides just in few hours and then return to their home in the same day itself (as if Delhi was a two hour drive from the mountains). And Deepika calling her mother by her name seems completely out of place and is quite irritating too.

Actually Danish Aslam has made the film keeping in mind the western culture and its casual relationship styles prevailing between a boy and a girl. But his attempt falls flat when it comes to the subject of sex between his two lead characters. His script shows a boy and a girl being friends from their childhood days. Even when they transform into a young boy and girl they still enjoy the same kind of cool relationship between them without any kind of shyness. Ironically both Imran & Deepika talk, walk and behave like two mature lovers throughout, wherein they can even touch, kiss and cuddle each other any moment as they like. But yet as per the Indian Tradition they still haven't gone physical. Now that was plain unbelievable considering the setting, background and narration of the movie. Had it been an English movie, they would have done that in the first half itself and that too without any guilt or regret. But since it was a Hindi movie, they cannot do that.

The point I want to make is that our directors are walking on a dual path today which doesn't allow them to come up with some bold and intelligent movies close to the reality. In the current BREAK KE BAAD, the director is OK with showing a western kind of relationship between a young boy and girl but at the same time he is not ready to show that they can even go physical. So at one end he wants to copy from the West, but on the other also wants to make a film for the Indian audience, keeping their cultural tradition alive, which is not an easy path to walk on. Falling in the same dilemma, BKB is a complete washout and has no relief moments even in its few songs. Vishal-Shekhar deliver an average sort of soundtrack which lacks the melody and is disappointing. Though the film scores fine in its Cinematography but in the casting department it fails to take advantage of many talented people such as Sharmila Tagore, Shahana Goswami, Lillete Dubey and Navin Nischal. Yudhishtir also overacts as the sex driven housemate.

As far as the lead pair is concerned I didn't find anything to write about the acts of both Imran and Deepika. They gave me nothing fresh or better than their last films. As a matter of fact in BREAK KE BAAD, the actors on the screen look as confused as the director and the writer standing behind the screen. Hence everyone should essentially take a break from watching this underworked venture and if you really want to see Deepika in her cools shorts then do watch it but at your own risk.

Fun, fresh romcom with meaningful messages

Author: AishFan from San Jose, CA, US
1 December 2010

With a rather simple plot, Break Ke Baad explores and examines the relationship between the lead pair Imran and Deepika. This fun, fresh, and light-hearted romcom contains some really nice themes and messages that are badly needed for today's times. In an age where break-ups are too common and used as an escape from life's troubles, a quick fix to a relationship going through a rough phase, or a convenient denial of one's own weaknesses, we end up losing and hurting our loved ones and well-wishers. It takes courage, patience, acceptance, and resilience to keep two people together. While we may not realize it in the pursuit of freedom and independence, it's these relationships that brings us the most contentment. The film doesn't downplay or discourage ambition; on the contrary, it does show it as necessary to developing oneself. However, one's means of achieving his/her goals should not be done through rebellious means or by despisement of others' attitudes, but rather by cooperating and understanding those who are closest to you. The film has a great starcast and direction as well as nice music.

Story has been done to death...

Author: Sherazade from United States
10 January 2014

...and the worst part is not only that BREAK KE BAAD is retelling such a clichéd tale but with poor execution and little to no direction. From the first five minutes you can already tell how the film is going to end but still the director probably assumed that its fresh and attractive cast, scenic locales, supposedly hip lingo and ambition could and would save his script. Sadly, he was wrong. The main leads (Imraan Khan and Deepika Padukone) end up looking foolish and wooden in their roles of lovebirds needing some space in their relationship, with a role reversal of the guy being the one who wants to settle down and the girl being the one who wants to find herself and defy society's norms. Sigh! It's all been done before and way, way better.

Mills and Boon

Author: Avinash Patalay from Middle Earth
26 January 2011

"Break Ke Baad" is an ideal romcom catering to the segment of audience who bunk classes and chill out in the multiplexes. At the outset the plot might look "space issues" meets "coming of age". However the writers, Danish Aslam and Renuka Kunzru take the liberty of overloading layers for every character who makes an appearance on the silver screen. Imagine even the acid tongue landlady's brother has issues in life! On that note the overkill phenomena was last witnessed in "Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na".

Imran Khan delivers a restraint and matured performance. Deepika gets a lion's share in terms of characterisation. Her spontaneity is a treat to watch to the extent that would seem she has mastered the art of impromptu acting. Sharmila Tagore and Naveen Nischol were under-utilised. Lillete Dubey and Shahana Goswami get a few fiery lines to mouth.

If you set aside the shortcomings on the writing front, the movie excels in other technical departments. Songs are noteworthy (Kunal Kohli is renowned for a good music taste, so there you go). Costumes deserve a mention. The DOP has a fine job. The tongue-in-cheek lines ensures audience stay with the proceedings. Editing is slick. Lastly there was no need shifting the storyline to Australia. IIM-Ahemadabad would have been done the job.

Verdict: Not too bad for one-time watch.

Absolute misogynistic trash

Author: Rishad from United States
28 December 2015

*** POSSIBLE SPOILER (but not really, since it's so predictable) ***

OK, I should preface my review by stating that I'm not a huge, huge fan of Bollywood films, am not up to snuff on my actors, directors, and what-not, but do watch them on occasion (usually with my folks), and they can be fun, as in, "Singh is Kingg."

This film was without a doubt, the absolute trashiest film I've watched in quite a while, Bollywood or not. So bad in fact, that I couldn't even finish watching it, as I felt a nap would be more imaginative.

Not only that, the vaguely (and at times, overtly) misogynistic messages in this steaming pile was quite a shock. Sooooo ... stalking someone who's told you in no uncertain terms that they want a break (hence the title), showing up unexpectedly at their door, and playing on their emotions is totz kewl? ?:-/

Alrighty then. I guess I'm not up on my desi culture (and yes, I'm brown, in case it matters.)

Quite Okay

Author: silvan-desouza from India
24 October 2014

Break Ke Baad released few months after I Hate Love Storys which had Imran run away from love, in this he has to face Deepika who is confused. The film is a decent modern film about love and does work at many places however it does get predictable, slow paced and worst at times the comedy is too over the top.

Direction by Danish Aslam is decent Music by VS was quite popular, Adhoore, Dooriyan and Ajab leher are good numbers

Imran Khan reprises his romantic act which he kept doing in most films, he does well though, Deepika Padukone is good in her role Sharmila Tagore gets less scope but is good, Lillete Dubey is typecast Navin Nischol in his last film is good, Yudi is lively while Shahana Goswami is good as always, both however are sort of used to playing such roles,rest are okay