IMDb > "The Royle Family" The Golden Egg Cup (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Royle Family" The Golden Egg Cup (2009)

« Prev | 23 of 25 Episodes | Next »

Disappointing

Author: manimal99 from Nottingham
24 February 2010

The Royle Family is a true classic of British comedy. Funny, inventive and with warm, realistic characters its certainly one of the highlights of the last few years.

However, having seen this episode shown at Christmas I have to say it seems to have lost its way. This feels like a reasonable 30 minute episode was stretched too thinly out to a full hour.

** Spoiler Alert ** taking the cast out of the family home and away on holiday was a big mistake in my view - a lazy plot device to try and inject some life into the series, and with even lazier (and unfunny) padding of the script by getting the characters to sing along to a song in the car, or asking each other what they want for dinner. The writers have used this before in the series and whilst funny the first time now it just feels old hat.

If you are a fan of the classic series, then this is probably best avoided.

A brilliant episode that's sadly let down

Author: Benjamin Linus
12 August 2014

The Royles left their sofa behind last year for dinner with Dave Senior, but this year saw them go even further - into a caravan for a week.

Though the comedy is still the same and as enjoyable as ever - which alone is enough to make it worth an 8 out of 10, the episode is let down by the diminished cast. Once away on their holidays, all we have is four of our favourites, leaving the friends and neighbours behind. The four characters we are left with are more than capable of taking care of the screen time themselves, but we would all like to see some more of the rest.

The story of the golden egg cup is well worth a watch though. Forgetting the lack of Twiggy, the story is light and fun, packed full of ridiculous happenings and praise of the One Show, making for a very enjoyable episode.