IMDb > The Last Circus (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Balada triste de trompeta

The Last Circus More at IMDbPro »Balada triste de trompeta (original title)

Page 4 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4]

Total exhaustion

Author: metalquass from Vilnius, Lithuania
7 April 2011

In March 2011, there was annual film festival "Kino Pavasaris" ("The Cinema Spring") here in Vilnius, I watched 15 movies during 2 weeks, "The Last Circus" (referred as "A Sad Trumpet Ballad") actually being the last to watch. Unfortunately, it was the worst possible choice as it nearly spoiled an overall positive impression of the whole festival. I was almost sick when I left the hall, emaciated of all I've just seen: inexplicable rudeness, hysteric behaviours, pointless wandering and fighting, seemingly endless dialogs. Surely, this movie was intended to be ambitious and pretentious, however, it totally missed the mark. From all 15, only sluggish Vietnamese movie "Bi, don't be afraid" surpassed (on the negative scale) "The Last Circus" in terms of pointless and boring plot, however, in terms of overall impression ("total exhaustion") no one even stood near "The Last Circus". Needless to say, it also marked "the last circus" for me regarding Alex de la Iglesia as director. Moreover, in future I will have to check twice before attending another "made in Spain" (which is too sad considering a pair of amazing movies by Julio Medem I saw recently).

Total waste of money

Author: aliena1984 from Valencia, Spain
2 January 2011

I had pretty high expectations with this movie, since critics were delighted with it and it was said that Tarantino had loved it in Cannes. While I can really see why he did (the first two scenes are Tarantino-wannabe), I found the movie boring, too ambitious for nothing.

A short summary would be that De la Iglesia wanted to achieve a lot and ended up with a useless movie, full of good intended jokes that didn't end up well, not even one well developed character and almost all performances from bad to too bad.

I did not believe any of the characters, especially the Sad Clown (El Payaso Triste) and Natalia, a woman towards whom I should have felt compassion and some understanding but none of these feelings touched me.

In short, De la Iglesia is not as good and big as he would like to be.

Excellent!

Author: manolytomanson84 from Spain
27 December 2010

it was worth going to the cinema for see the movie. incredible, spectacular, amazing, funny ... I have no words to say but, the movie is great!, Is a movie of love, terror, violence, macabre humor, sex, and much blood. Has it all!, What more do you want!,I have seen almost all movies of Alex De la Iglesia and this film is the best movie, and the best Spanish film too, a masterpiece that will traumatize you. And of course some people will not like the movie, but that is because they are sissies. I left the cinema fascinated and eager to see the movie again. I recommend you it!. Tarantino ended up delighted with the movie.

The best word is Disappointing

Author: Mario Eleno from Spain
27 December 2010

After being seduced by the massive publicity which has surrounded this film in Spain (or better said, the friend I was going with), I went to the cinema with moderate to high expectations.

At the end I was quite disappointed, this is one of this films which you can sense it won't add anything to you.

The beginning is promising, and at one point I thought that even this one could be a really innovative film, David Fincher style. But after the running time was passing I did realize that, it is at least 30 minutes too long, there is too much absurd blood and death, at least one story line is complete needless.

Summarizing, one of this movies which you will forget quite soon and you'll feel lucky for it.

From now on, in Spanish dictionaries, next to the word "pretencioso" ("pretentious") there should be a still from this film to illustrate the concept

Author: el_monty_BCN from Barcelona, Spain
4 January 2011

I cannot understand how this disastrous film is earning so many awards. I was *this* close to walking out of the cinema, honestly, I could hardly stand it. The story is utterly ridiculous, and clumsy to the point of verging on the childish, full to the brim with incongruences, jarring shifts in tone and artificial dialog; and it overflows with pretentiousness, De la Iglesia trying to give it the depth it so sorely lacks by interweaving it with famous real-life events, and grotesquely trivializing Spanish history in the process by turning it into a mere setback for his absurd psycho-killer clowns. The acting is also weak, with only Antonio de la Torre, the one with by far most acting chops of the leading trio, managing to give his character some semblance of believability; then again, it can't be easy to achieve a credible performance give the awful lines the actors had to deal with.

Venice Festival is death if it awarded this movie.

Author: rodrigoqbo from Spain
18 June 2011

To be honest, I've never been a big De la Iglesia fan, even if Acción Mutante is on of the best Spanish commercial films ever made. But anyway I watched this movie with great expectations, specially for the Venice awards. It's a shame that the basis of the script and the idea is so good, but the screenplay is a total shame, full of implausible dialogues and characters, and the direction is totally unfortunate: what was supposed to be a Fellinian farce becomes a melodramatic soap opera. The same happen with the editing, full of miss raccords and with no dramatic or rhythm sense or proposal. At the end, with this movie, I made a lot of conclusions of things I've already was wondering: 1. We can understand why commercial Spanish movie is so bad when the writer of Mentiras y gordas is the Minister of Culture and Álex de la Iglesia is the president of the Film Academy, 2. Really, couldn't Álex de la Iglesia, with his name and power, contract a writer and another editor for this?, 3. The Venice Film Festival, as I had notices for like the past ten years, has became a joke (and not even a good one, more like, let's say, the jokes supposed to be in this movie).

Worst film I have seen in 10 years, no joke.

Author: jordansemailis from Spain
19 December 2010

A total waste of money. I had high hopes for the film, being a fan of De la Iglesia. With this film however, I have lost all interest in seeing anymore of his films. The film has no social value what so ever. I didn't relate to or like any of the characters. It is a gruesome, violent without reason, test to see how long you can hold down your food. I hated it. I highly do not recommend this film. It left me feeling accosted and frustrated, lamenting the time I lost in the cinema.(I would write the rest of my review in Spanish for the many Spanish speaking people that frequent the IMDb, especially for directors from Spain, but the mandatory spell check at the end of the review doesn't allow words that are not English. Huh. Too bad.)

Page 4 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4]