IMDb > The Skeleton Twins (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Skeleton Twins

The Skeleton Twins More at IMDbPro »

Brilliantly done dramedy with Hader stealing it

Author: bmennen from New York City
12 September 2014

Upstate NY is the setting for this funny and poignant film about a set of twins that split apart but are brought together by near-death experiences.

It is difficult to make a movie that can go from laughter to the depths of anguish and remain entertaining or even believable, but "The Skeleton Twins" manages it well; but without Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig the degree of difficulty would have increased significantly.

Hader plays a gay wannabe actor who is not doing well out in LA and paying his rent by waiting tables; Wiig is his twin who has stayed in the small town where they grew up and she is a dental hygienist. Although the flamboyantly gay "Stephone" was a Hader favorite on Saturday Night Live, do not expect a stereotype with Milo: this is a human and not a joke.

Wiig's Maggie is a flawed character, and both sibs are scarred by their dreadful childhood. How they eventually come to depend on each other is a thing of beauty.

Finally, cheers to Craig Johnson for the way he wrote Luke Wilson's Lance: the straight guy who just wants Maggie to be happy and have his children. Johnson makes him a noble character unlike the buffoon so many in Hollywood would have made of this type.

The chemistry between Wiig and Hader is incredible, and Wilson is a joy to behold. This is a must-see.

Dramatic / Comedic Balance

Author: sssummerson from United States
18 January 2014

I went to this film at the Sundance premier based on the cast. Knowing this was a Drama with comedic talent left me hopeful but skeptical that it would not be a fish out of water (watch the film to see why I use that analogy) The movie was great. Kristin Wiig was the star she is. Bill Hader was strong in his first dramatic role and the chemistry between these two successful comedians paid off in spades. I believe Luke Wilson will not get his deserved credit in the film due to the role of the leading players, but he was fabulous. This was a drama highlighting some tough stuff. The talent of these actors and their ability to shift to comic relief was the highlight of the film. Get ready to laugh and cry. It was good.

An amazing mix of comedy and drama from two Saturnday Night Live alums

Author: bbickley13-921-58664
15 September 2014

Laughing at the pain of two siblings who unknowingly attempt to kill themselves at the same time, reunite due to this tragedy after ten years of non-communication.

With Kristen Wig in the movie, I was expecting to laugh, but I think the best laughs came from Bill Hader. His role as Milo, A gay actor who's life is know where near what he expected in high school, sets us on a whirlwind of emotions as he tries to cope with being back home after being away for so long.

Luke Wilson's supporting role as a the likable husband to Kristen Wig's character also gave me a big chuckle as well.

Rounding out the cast is Ty Burrell, best known for his role on Modern Family. It was cool to see him do something out of Type.

It was weird laughing at people with such messed up lives but some say this is the secret to great comedy, that it comes from a dark place. The filmmakers were able to show light coming from this darkness and it was well played in a way that made the twin's issues relateable to us.

It was a great drama with a lot of comedy in it, A must see.

Very Special Siblings

Author: aharmas from United States
13 September 2014

Bill and Kirsten are names we have to remember because they're the actors who make this film a very special achievement. They're not the sole reason we love this movie, but if their acting wasn't so amazing, this film would not fly, but it soars, leaving us with the satisfaction we just saw something unique.

The story of two siblings that share a special bond, yet haven't seen each other for more than a decade. We learn they have survived a devastating experience related to their father, something that has left them scarred and resentful. Later in the film, we are witness to a scene with their mother, and the pieces start falling together.

In the opening scene, both of them are undergoing almost an identical situation, and it's only fate that saves both and gets them both together. It should be a cathartic moment, instead it propels the drama to other level because much needs to be fixed, and it's going to be a very arduous task.

Enters Lance, wonderfully played by Luke Wilson, a kind, accepting and generous soul who is more than willing to love, support, and take just about anything his spouse throws in front of him. He welcomes her brother with open arms, gives him a job, and appears to love him as part of the family right away. Wilson wins our hearts right away, and the emotional impact of his final scene is bound to shatter whatever type of thick skin we have developed after thousands of movies with similar themes.

However, it's the interaction between Wigg and Hader that is incredible. These two actors capture the essence of their characters in a manner that makes us feel they have been together forever, can read each other's thoughts and emotions, just like real siblings. Watching them fight, express their resentments, frustrations, their love, their bonds is truly something to enjoy. There is a scene where we see how they connect when they lip sync to "Nothing is gonna stop us now". It's what intrigued me in the preview. The film is full of scenes like these, and it never disappoints. The rest of the acting ensemble is capable and good, but the range of emotions displayed by both certainly reaches greatness more than a few times.

The film recalls that fantastic film that was bypassed by critics last year with its honesty and sensational performances. Charlize Theron did great work by herself in "Young Adult". I can't help but think the two films share a common point, the love a good story and the goal of showing what good acting can deliver.

There is lots of darkness here. We see suicide attempts, adultery, depression and more, and it's not hidden behind fancy camera work, elevated language. It feels real and we can relate to it. These characters show what families can offer and take away, how parents' actions affect the future of their children.

10 out of 10.

A Quality Comedy / Drama

Author: lost_child5 from Australia
10 August 2014

The Skeleton Twins is an impressive comedy / drama from director Craig Johnson and starring Saturday Night Live regulars Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader. It tells the story of two twins who are reunited through an attempted suicide, having not spoken for 10 years. The story explores love, loss, and how, after growing up in a broken home, we cope with the challenges of adulthood in the modern world.

First and foremost, the casting was superb, with brilliant comedic performances from Wiig and Hader, who also bring great depth to their characters. Luke Wilson is also fantastic as the fantasy-football playing jock husband. There are some really great, very funny moments; the chemistry of the two leads really carries the film. There were one or two flaws to the story, but they are few and far between. And although the ending was bit too "Hollywood" and predictable, the charm of the story allows some forgiveness here, and I would definitely recommend this film.