Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II (VG) More at IMDbPro »

Fun initially, though becomes repetitive early on

Author: Lionbeard from Australia
6 November 2010

This game was one of the most anticipated releases of 2010 for me. I'd been watching the trailers on loop and downloading the wallpapers (which is very unlike me). There had been such a hype surrounding The Force Unleashed 2, that, when I actually got around to playing it - it seemed a little disappointing in some areas.

Aesthetically, this game is amazing. The graphics and physics engine really make it a lot of fun to play. Force-gripping Storm Troopers and then impaling them with your dual-wielded light-sabers never got old. The ability to collect and change your saber crystals, effectively enabling you to change your light-saber's colour, was also a fantastic touch which enabled me to give my character a more personal feel. In addition to the colour changes, each crystal had a unique effect. For example, equipping a green coloured crystal would enable your character to heal faster; a white crystal for force regeneration; an orange crystal to set your enemies on fire etc etc.

The downside, however, to this game, is the story itself. You begin the game on Kamino, the cloning planet, where you're told that you are a clone of The Force Unleashed 1's main character - Starkiller. After being declared a 'failure' by your master, Darth Vader, you escape his clutches by jumping out a window, and then commencing to face wave-after-wave of storm troopers. The idea is that your character attempts to discover, or perhaps, re-discover his identity.

Combat in The Force Unleashed 2 is initially a lot of fun, however, after facing the same enemies over and over, you quickly learn how to defeat them very easily, leading them to become more of a hindrance than a challenge. The boss fights are lengthy; unnecessarily so, and I found the game's cut-scenes, whilst impressively pre-rendered, were a bore to sit through as the 'Skip' option wasn't always available.

Overall, this is a great game if you're up for a bit of hack-n-slash before work, however, the combat's formulaic design, the lack of well developed plot and the length of story, left much to be desired. This game took me a total of around 3-4 hours to complete.

How do you screw up the story this badly?

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
18 April 2014

Well I guess I was the only one who didn't like the story for the original Force Unleashed game because this game seems to have the story leaped on even more-so than the original. Now Star Wars games were a big part of my childhood and some of them like the Jedi Knight series were ones that I still love to this day. From the get-go the story was disappointing.

Okay so the story, Garen Malek is cloned... I said from the get-go it was disappointing and he begins to remember his past and he races across the galaxy to rejoin The Rebellion and tell Juno and they can live happily ever after and take down The Empire yadda yadda yadda.

Onto the positives. The game-play is really fun as usual and it does have some new powers that were awesome like the Mind Trick and using force powers to enhance your lightsaber combos. This is easily the best element of the game and if you're into the hack n slash games that are almost literally button mashing then you'll probably enjoy the game as a style-over-substance even more than the first game.

Onto the complaints. Where in what world does this story feel needed. I mean the first game does have a decent set-up and it does tie in some of the continuity well. In this game... It ends with more holes in the continuity of the series than if they established that C3PO and Chewbacca were related. Didn't the original game already end where the story needed to end? I mean what else could there be to tell.

Not to mention the actual investment of it. First of all - in the first game Juno and Malek are only on screen together for a short period of time and Juno was on her first mission as pilot in the second level of the game. They don't develop the relationship any more than that in this game because Malek's first conversation with her in this game takes place once you've finished it. I'm sorry was there a lot of cut-scene footage of the first game that we missed for this one? This is a legit question.

Okay the characters are boring and don't go through a single story arc, the story is completely unnecessary so why did I give it a 6 if the story is this bad you may ask? Well lets just say I'm a sucker for having the kind of power you have in the game at your fingertips. I mean it is a much worse game than the original which I think is a real shame because there was so much the first one didn't get right that I thought "Okay, I'm kind of open to a sequel to this so will this fix the problems with the story that the original had?" If you've played the first one then let me advise you - this sequel is completely unnecessary.

I don't care what they say... i like it.

Author: bige144 from Canada
31 May 2011

With reading on both of these games on this site and others it really seems that your gonna like this series or your gonna hate it. but for me i love it. i am a pretty big star wars fan i love all the movies and enjoy most of the games (jedi academy and republic commandos being my all time favourites)but the force unleashed is my second fav 1and 2 and i got to say for this one is tones more better then the 1st every gripe i had in the first has been fixed and it was with game play. its so fun and easy to pick this up and just go for it and unlike the first were it was fun in the beginning and just got stupid later on for game play the 2nd has none of that. repetitive? yes but its the fun kind (for me anyway)But the number one thing that I'm sooooo happy for is that in this one the enemy's don't land a cheap shot on you knock you down and you get you and they just keep doing it over and over and over again. this one has none of that. do you get knocked down... duh but does it keep happening over and over no. My second fav thing that i loved and u may too is that lightsabers actually chop body parts off thats awesome. finally! and of course the graphics. the graphics are amazing for the c.g.i cut scenes to the in game cut scenes and in game graphics... WOW. but now for the bad as i have said the game is repetitive and yes i said i like it for others though this may be an issue its much like the first one in that way but there are better boss fights (minus the end boss fight) and the story. this is why for me its not a ten the story in this is kinda flat but does have a few good bumps in it but not like the first but i still found it enjoyable and the last thing is length I'm not usually one to complain about this but i finished this in 4 to 5 hours yeah i know pretty short. But thats why i would recommend borrowing this or renting first then make your choice to buy or not to buy (no pun intended) but i highly recommend that you give it a try if your a fan of this series.

It's disappointing, but it isn't a bad game just could be better

Author: jfernandoga from Mexico
9 November 2010

I'm a big fan of star wars, I loved the first one and when I heard about a sequel, I was very excited, but when I see the bad reviews about the game, I decide to rent first, and it's a good game for me, but I must say that I was expected more about this game and here is my pros and cons:

Pros: -Great graphics. -Some mistakes of the first one have been repair. -I enjoy playing with 2 lightsabers. -I see how I can cut off heads, arms of the stormtroopers, it's something that I never see in a star wars game.

Cons: -The game is too expensive. -The story. -It's too short. -Repetitive enemies and levels. -It's too easy than the first one. -I was not satisfied with the limited appearance of boba fett and yoda (I was expected a battle with boba fett).

In the end, this game it's not great but not terrible just could be better, I recommend you rent it first and that's all.

A good experience, But... Something seems OFF!

Author: A_Voice from India
6 November 2013

The game follows a successful part one, which was actually an engaging and testing game (with the SIth Lord difficulty), accompanied by extraordinary graphics and a "curiously fitting" story.

This game is in continuity with the previous one and carries on where it left, so it is essential to first play through part one and then pick this one up. It improves upon the already great graphics, has some added and removed features (eg. Starkiller has 2 lightsabers and is faster and more agile, he can perform mind tricks etc. whereas, the force crystal concept is scraped and replaced by "Force Points", holcrons concept is improvised and Starkiller has an awesome new power, The "Force Fury"). Mouth watering right !? But wait, even with so much good features, when you play the game you will find it less challenging, less engaging and less enjoyable than its predecessor.

The game tends to be extremely easy and will only be enjoyed by the first time or naive gamers who seek to kill every enemy without depleting their "lives". The enemies tend to be repetitive and the bosses are easily defeated. The game lacks the "Oh, I am getting bored, Lets play The Force Unleashed Part II" Factor. Whereas the part I completely got me hooked and I found myself playing at the time I shouldn't be. The game lacks any novelty factor despite the cool new additions.

The makers have shifted more of the emphasis on "stylizing" the game rather than innovating it or make it more engaging.

Coming to the story, the previous game featured a curious bridge story which tries to bridge the gap between the two star wars trilogies. Though it might not have completely justified the story but it certainly was a good attempt with a strong and nice concept. Whereas, the sequel totally falls apart in the story aspect, its a no-brainer which could have been a good one. The concept was good, but the story and character development was lacking. You don't tend to feel attached to the characters, whereas in the previous installment one was bound to feel the emotions of the protagonist.

Direction: Average.

Story and Script: Extremely bad.

Gameplay: Very easy.

Music: Good.

Graphics and setting: Jawdroping!!!

Overall an excellent game for a novice, and a smooth time pass for the typical gamers!

It looks good, it feels good playing it but it ain't much for the rest

Author: High Contrast from at my place
3 August 2013

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2 a sequel to the previous game I haven't played, is a state of the art when it comes to graphics and even game play. Only for this it deserves 6 stars. Sadly there's not much left, as the story is really crappy and everything feels so damn unimportant as they've failed building likable characters.

Because I've actually had fun playing it and regarding the fact the game works on average systems even if it has such nice graphics I think it deserves 7 stars, hands down.

The story is cheesy. A clone that somehow has powers that will make most Jedi masters and sith lords feel ashamed, while the clone itself basically is neither of them, has some sort of addiction in saving a damsel in distress named Juno, just because of some reminiscent memories. Anyway, when it comes to fighting bosses the fights are epic, so the game does has its redeeming qualities and it worths a try, especially if you're a Star Wars fan. The usual battles you wage against the empire troops, mech warriors and tanks tend to be repeating and because of that they can get really boring at a certain point as they didn't cared much in building a bit of more consistent diversity.

If you;re looking for an easy going game, without being too demanding on the story side and diversity, where you're walking through enemies hordes leaving no foe alive, then this is a must try.

Whoa... short-term game play much?

Author: lizwilder_1234 from England
18 January 2012

Dear god, i would love to give this game a brilliant 10 out of 10... It would deserve it too if it had had the decency to actually last longer than a few hours game play. The story wasn't anything special, and the ending didn't really tell you either. At least, the light side ending doesn't tell you whether or not Starkiller is truly a clone. Not too sure about the dark side ending, but really? REALLY? The first game was absolutely amazing and incredibly... BRILLIANT! It took me a week to complete it and this game was disappointingly not so satisfying. It took me 4 days (technically 3 because i had a break) and so... 3 days x 2 hours of game play is possibly the shortest game ever. About 6 hours maybe. I don't know. Just, the animation is MUCH better, which is a definite 9/10 from me. The story was meaningless and completely unnecessary and overly disappointing: 7/10 from me. Gameplay was slightly improved, and i loved the force charge that let you unleash your total power and burn your enemies to shreds. But there wasn't that much difference. 7/10. Oh and as for cut scenes... 6/10. The ending is one of the most incomplete and abrupt endings ever, so don't be expecting anything amazing. Maybe rent it from a store.

Size (of the game) matter

Author: nightcrow44 from United States
30 November 2010

OK Yoda you are wrong on this one, although not a bad game, is not very good either in almost every way especially compared to the last game. Let's start with the good, the graphics is better that the original, even though, sadly they did not improve the controls as much as I still had a problem focusing on one enemy or to another. Another thing is the sound and voice acting was top notch even though the old player of Juno and Proxy was not in it too much. Juno was the main focus of Starkiller's rage to get back with her, which is a complaint because, unlike the main motivation would be the rebellion and freeing millions, Starkiller is focused solely on Juno. Other things was the scenes of Yoda and Boba Fett which was so over hyped, but I felt ripped off as combined they might be in the game for less than 5 minutes. And when Yoda was talking to Starkiller nothing very important to the story that couldn't have been done by meditations like he did last game. The "bad ending" made no scene at all, but the real ending gave me hope to a better game next time....which will hopefully happen in less than two years. The places he goes is few as he only arrives to three places the rest are on ships. The ending was good and guarantees a 3rd game.... and hopes they make it a bit longer because us Star Wars fans expect longer and frankly better.... I really wanted to like this game, too bad I bought the special edition, because it was not worth it. And now I hear they have enough balls to start with the DLC sending Starkiller to Endor, this pisses me off because after spending over $70 it should have been included in this ridiculously short game.

Fails both as a competent game and as a continuation of the story.

Author: HipsterSithGuy from United Kingdom
17 July 2013

I was one of the few people who actually enjoyed the first SW: Force Unleashed game. It had a few disappointing elements to it but it was overall an ambitious and action-packed video game with a creative and exciting story and some fun gameplay and the climax sets up the premise of the Rebel story in the original trilogy perfectly well. With The Force Unleashed II, the developers decided to take the ending to the first game and craft a story that is too short, lacking in substance and undoes the ending to its predecessor egregiously. It also fails to make up for those flaws with repetitive gameplay, obnoxious voice acting and bland levels.

A year after the events in the first game, Darth Vader arrives at the cloning facility on Kamino where he meets his new specimen, a clone of Galen 'Starkiller' Marek, his deceased apprentice who defected to the Rebel Alliance and fought against his master and the Emperor before his death. Using tissue from Starkiller's corpse on the Death Star, Vader has attempted to grow a perfect clone of his apprentice but to no avail as they had all become mad and unstable. This latest clone appears to be the final specimen but when he begins having recurring visions of Starkiller's old lover Juno Eclipse, Vader realizes that the cloning process has once again failed and tries to kill this clone. However, this one escapes and manages to make his way off Kamino to search for his former mentor and ally Rahm Kota who is held hostage in an Imperial- controlled city on Cato Neimoidia. Starkiller makes his way there and saves Kota in a gladiatorial arena but not before battling and killing the giant Gorog creature. Onboard the Rogue Shadow, Kota denies that Starkiller is a clone due to the impossibility of cloning Jedi. Starkiller however decides to venture somewhere to meditate and find his identity and travels to Dagobah after learning about it from Kota.

The story to TFU II is not just disappointing but also unnecessary. Why they decided to bring back Starkiller is just baffling to me considering how poignant the end to the first game was. Doing a sequel to the game is not a bad idea if they maybe focused on a different character or made a spin-off game involving another character. Here, it just feels like a lazy attempt to cash in on the character using two lightsabers. The story focuses on Starkiller trying to locate Juno and reclaim his love for her but the end result is unsatisfying because they never shared any moments together in it and them setting out together at the end just feels soulless and rushed. The conclusion is also left opening the possibility of a third game which is a pain. There's a pretty cool backstory surrounding the creation of the clone before the events of this game which are unlocked by completing different chapters but it should really appear in the game's main story rather than just be a mere bonus feature. Yoda and Boba Fett make cameos in this game but are both underused and really only there to remind gamers that they are playing a Star Wars game.

The gameplay can be described as repetitive and rehashed. Starkiller using two lightsabers is fun at first but gets really old after a while. The boss battles are rehashed and the same ones reappear in nearly every chapter, becoming really irritating and lazy; although the Gorog battle and the final duel with Darth Vader are exceptions. The only level that really stands out is the final one on Kamino, deep inside the cloning facility but even that can get boring after a while. There is one level on Dagobah which could've been a fun interesting level to play through but only lasts for one minute and only requires the player to walk to the one checkpoint. This could easily have been solved in one cutscene. The light side/dark side ending is still here but is only decided by the pressing of a button. Truly, hard work was put into crafting this game.

What's equally annoying is the voice acting. Sam Witwer and Cully Frederickson, both voicing Starkiller and Kota respectively, stand out as providing the most obnoxious voice acting I've heard in a game. Witwer spends the last level of the game screaming and shouting like a teenager arguing with his Dad. And people say Hayden Christensen is annoying. Frederickson spends most of the game moaning at Starkiller and spouting out 'words of wisdom' like an exasperated old dude who had just been drinking. In the first game, Kota was a drunk has-been for most of the second half but then reverted back to his dignified wise self toward the end. Now, he's reverted back, only.. more annoying.

The Force Unleashed II is a disappointing tripe of a game that fails to be fun or develop a compelling continuation to the story which had already resolved perfectly in the first game. The graphics in the game look somewhat good-looking but other than that, there is little to appreciate. I actually hope that there will be a Force Unleashed III being released that will in someway make up for this but I doubt it will ever evolve past the early stages. For now, I find little to enjoy here. Bland gameplay, irritating voice acting, an incompetent story and insulting cameos from popular characters make this a tragic disappointment of a game.

The Force is truly strong with this game

Author: Skyfire432 from United States
22 January 2011

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed was, honestly, one of my favorite games of 2008. Some people may criticize it for it's lack of longevity, but that's OK with me. They made it short(it's 8 hours) to be like a movie, or I think they did. And, there's DLC to keep you playing, so that's good too. WARNING: some spoilers ahead although they do not spoil the ending of the game or major plot points-twists.

Gameplay is not as fun first playthrough, due to lack of some force powers and upgrades, but that's why it's good to play again with the new force upgrades. First playthrough(especially on first level) you have barely any powers, not even Lightning! Just very weak force push. But you get lightning later in the game, and you can upgrade it and Lightning, and get some new powers you never saw in the Star Wars films, such as Lightsaber Throw and Repulse, the latter force power being one of the reason's this game is truly unleashed. Lightsaber combat without force powers can only do 2 combos, but you can also infuse your lightsaber with force power to do more combos. The first level(after the prologue), sends you to a Tie Fighter factory, where the Jedi survivor of the Great Jedi Purge, Rahm Kota, is battling the Empire with a hired militia to get Vader's attention(this is not the Rebellion seen in the movies, however, it is Kota's own army). But, instead, Vader's secret apprentice comes. He supposedly kills Kota. He then hunts some more Jedi. The story gets better(and less repetitive) from here, and, I won't spoil anything, but Vader's jedi hunter gets a change of heart sometime in the game, won't say anything else about that. And, one of the levels is on the Deathstar(my favorite level), an iconic location from the Star Wars movies. But there was also 2 levels I had a slight problem with. 2 planets were revisited again, but the levels are different and the place is different, so it still feels like a new level. And, one level got me really frustrated. There is a level when you have to bring down a Star Destroyer, with the Force! But...as difficult as this sounds, pesky TIE fighters come every 30 seconds to make it more difficult, and it takes 5 minutes to take it down, so they have to be destroyed quickly or the Star Destroyer will get back in position. This was one of my most frustrating gaming experiences, EVER. But other than that, this game is great.(warning, slight spoiler alert) You even battle the Emperor and Darth Vader at the end, I won't say why.

Overall I rate this game 9 out of 10, almost perfect, except for that Star Destroyer level............

BTW: I am not an experienced reviewer(of games or movies) so sorry if my review wasn't very good. I did my best.