IMDb > Crazy, Stupid, Love. (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Crazy, Stupid, Love.

Crazy, Stupid, Love. More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 27: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

An interesting and surprisingly entertaining comedy

Author: Mcjoe74 from United Kingdom
6 September 2013

Before seeing this movie I was happy to see they had assembled a strong cast for this one including Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone and YES Kevin bacon. Carell is literally made for these sort of movies so it was good to see him in the lead position. He did a great job as well, making use of a genuinely funny script and definitely adding a personal touch to it.

Personally, I feel this movie bears a strong resemblance to 'love actually' , the tale of a number of couples and the complications of their relationships. If you enjoyed that movie, you will definitely love this one . I actually preferred it.

This movie has a perfect length of just under 2 hours and I'm pleased to say I never once found it to be dragging thanks to the quirky script and charisma of the actors. This movie is predictable but that doesn't make it any less of a crowd-pleaser than it should be. I would definitely recommend.

Loved It

Author: sarahevkay from Calgary, Alberta, Canada
27 August 2013

Crazy, Stupid, Love is one of those movies I can watch over and over again and never get bored of it. Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling have great on-screen chemistry and it shines through in this movie. Although the story line is somewhat predictable with the bad-boy- changes-his-ways-because-of-a-girl and the typical the-babysitter's-in-love-with-the-father storyline, it's nice to see the development of the characters through their hilarious experiences. I'm not the biggest fan of romantic comedies but Crazy, Stupid, Love is definitely an exception. I always picture Steve Carell to be one of those awkwardly funny comedians because of The 40-Year Old Virgin and The Office, but his role in this movie opened up a new perspective. He still has his Steve Carell charm but brings in a new side of him as a man who has been broken by the love of his life. I have a newfound love for him after this movie. There's a lot going on with the plot of the story but it's easy to follow and I was never left uninterested. Good job!

The boy is creepy and Julianne Moore's character isn't great. Apart from that it's swell.

Author: (mg174) from The world
10 August 2013

Liked this movie a lot. Thought Ryan Gosling's chest was great and his suave way of dressing was ace. I loved the Dirty Dancing scene with Emma Stone and the banter when they first met. My main beef is about the little boy Robbie: I assume he is meant to be portrayed as cute and winning because he doesn't give up on true love but really he is a serial killer in waiting - completely creepy and a total stalker. Never blinks, masturbating to her, telling her every five seconds. In real life the girl should be disgusted and freaked out - especially given her age. The movie just lost it for me when Jessica (the pretty teenager who is the object of little Robbie's unceasing desire) gave the little creep naked photos of herself. It's meant to be touching and kind I guess but it's not - it's just wrong. Anyway, moving on... the movie is excellent - there is lots of humour and pathos. Emma Stone is excellent in everything she does. Steve Carell was amusing and engaging and sympathetic. Another qualm is that there was nothing that interesting about Julianne Moore's character. The movie didn't explore her midlife crisis if that's what it was. It was pretty shallow - it seemed like she decided not to go for Kevin Bacon because he loved sushi and she didn't (or words to that effect). She seemed like an object between the two guys rather than a real woman. It's not a feminist movie by any means - at one point Steve Carell's character says to Kevin Bacon's "She's all yours" and I would have loved for Julianne Moore to tell them she was nobody's. Anyway, a fun and well made, fairly clever movie - with flaws - and not so lovable ones.

Thought it was going to be better

Author: cory5521 from United States
6 July 2013

Like so many other movies I have seen, it started out great but ended weak. Gosling was perfect in his role and Carell was hilarious as always. Emma Stone was also very good, and crazy hot. The problem I had was that the situations between everyone became more unbelievable as the movie went on. But those situations, while not great, weren't terrible either. The one thing I did have a major issue with was the son. Every time I saw him I wanted to slap him and shave his head. Maybe that is a little cruel for a child that can't act to save his life and has an absurd haircut, but whatever. Still, if the movie had wrapped up nicely it would have all been worth it. But the speech at the end went from dumb to just plain ridiculous. And if what's her face's dad was mad before, I wonder how he will react to being the father of a registered sex offender. You know, the polaroid deal. I mean, seriously!?!?!

Cal becomes a student of how to pick up women after his divorce. His teacher decides to retire when he meets the woman of his dreams, leaving Cal to it.

Author: bethmellick from Australia
30 June 2013

Cal (Carell) and Emily (Moore) have been married for 25 years. Emily asks for a divorce, revealing that she's been unfaithful. Unable to work out how to be successfully single, Cal meets Jacob (Gosling) in a bar. Jacob takes him under his wing and shows Cal how to successfully pick up women. Jacob is a top gun Lothario and is willing to share his secrets. Cal becomes a great student, thus reclaiming his 'lost manhood'.

Eventually, however, Jacob meets the girl that makes him want to change his ways (Hannah, played by Stone), leaving Cal to negotiate the womanizing scene solo. Typically it all falls apart as true love dominates over casual sex.

I love Emma Stone – she and Julianne Moore made this movie likable. There is an element of the bromance in this flick as Cal and Jacob develop a relationship. There are love interests all over the shop which are supposed to tie in together, but the major criticism that I have of this movie is that they didn't fit together smoothly.

Apart from this, there is a lot of humor and great 'bit' parts. This is definitely one of the better romantic comedies of 2011.

Thank you for showing there is a middle term

Author: Olivia Brumei from United States
27 March 2013

I just ended up writing a review on Silver Linings Playbook and I know this review on Crazy, Stupid Love comes a little late, but guess what? There's no problem, it's probably new for many people and just made sense for me to review this two movies right now (probably because I wasn't very nice with SLP and I felt like showing that I'm not a Romance/Comedy/Dramas hater) . This movie really worked for me! It has the funny parts, the more sad ones that make you wonder and the regular ones that just brings you into the characters world. In CSL you get why they're doing what they're doing, you get compassion with them and you route for some situations. The best is that the movie occurs in a natural way and yes, in the end sort of goes the happy ending stuff to everyone but not so much in the obvious way that we're used to and in a way that you realize that is not the end. It is like it was you're life and you know life doesn't just end when you get want you want: there's more to it and CSL shows there's more to it after marriage, after kids, after our first love, after things going really bad. All of this with a funny touch and a modern way of seeing romance (nothing like Romeo and Juliet big drama/passion).

Dry Humor Film!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
17 March 2013

Really a dry humor bittersweet film as it shows a great cast and writing along the way.

Steve Carell plays Cal Weaver, who's wife played by Julianne Moore dumps him as he goes to a bar and meets up with Jacob, played by sexy Ryan Gosling.

Jacob and Cal begin to hang out as the former teaches the latter how to pick up clothes, and dates for the soon to be single Cal.

Meanwhile a lawyer to be played by Emma Stone is frustrated with her boyfriend, played by singer-actor Josh Groban in his film debut, who has yet to propose to her. As when he fails to do so, she hangs up with Jacob whom she meet a few nights before.

Also Cal and Julianne Moore's older son has developed a crush on the babysitter who only wants to be friends. While the babysitter has a huge crush on Cal.

So it is indeed crazy, stupid, love. Dry humor to a bittersweet story!

Best Film Ever

Author: Fiona Sharman from Australia
16 March 2013

Wow you can imagine my excitement! That scene where Ryan is just looking over the balcony and it is all in slow motion and he is wearing those tight pants and eating the pizza, i was drooling. (not for the pizza) WATCH this just because he is in it. And beautiful Emma Stone (Nanna/Anna) she is such a joyful actress she is full of life and love and I am so glad her and Ryan end up together! The teenage girl on the other hand that loves Cal is so gross he awkward face and body creep me the hell out i would have enjoyed the film so much more with out her in it! I felt like that was an unnecessary side story. "do you wanna get out of here?" is the line most girls will want to be said to them by the end of this film because we all want to have 'the time of our life'. Oh stop it, Fiona, with all those cheesy puns. You will understand if you have watched the film!

Sweet and Enjoyable!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
10 March 2013

I am starting to become a bigger fan of rom coms precisely because of movies such as Crazy, Stupid, Love. This movie despite some normal clichés we see in rom coms has a heart and is just too sweet to pass on. After you get to know all the characters in the film, you really root for them. They all have good intentions even if they don't make the right choices.

Glenn Requa and John Ficarra's film is about a guy, who after being married for 25 years, is asked for a divorce by his wife. Suddenly being free, he tries to move on but is unsuccessful. Suddenly he meets a younger guy who is about to teach him all he needs to know about women. But will that get him over his wife? The cast is a really good one. Steve Carell plays another sweet, likable guy. He is starting to grow on me as an actor instead of just a comedian. Julianne Moore as always delivers a strong performance as well as Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone. I also liked the subplot that involved the two teenagers.

Overall, this is a very good film that rises above the other romantic comedies made recently just because it's so memorable and has strong, good-hearted characters. I also liked the fact that the funny moments and there were many, didn't come from any raucousness. If romantic comedies are getting made like this, they may have a brighter future. But, unfortunately these kind of above-average rom-coms are very rare. I'm glad I got to check out this gem. I rate this film 9/10.

Do not give up on what you love

Author: Diana Roijakkers from Netherlands
4 March 2013

Normal I don't really like romantic movies. My best friend convinced me to watch it and I'm happy she did. This is now one of my favorite movies!

This movie is not about the 'unrealistic Notebook love'. It's based on real life stuff and problems. Steve Carell as Cal Weaver perfectly fits for this character. And oh my goodness, Ryan Gossling plays the ladies men in the movie and off course he does an excellent job. In the end of the movie, which is super funny and so good, it is clear which message they want to spread to the world; don't ever give up on your soul mate. I really loved this about the movie. Age, size, history, it doesn't matter; don't give up on what you love. And that's why I recommend this movie, it is funny, not overdone and sends a great message to the world