IMDb > Crazy, Stupid, Love. (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Crazy, Stupid, Love.

Crazy, Stupid, Love. More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 30: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

crazy crazy movie

Author: phoenix 2 from Greece
23 January 2014

Crazy stupid love is a romantic movie. But it is also a comedy. The story : Emily announces to her husband Cal that they must get a divorce. Cal accept it, moves out of the house and every night visits the same bar and speaks of his story. There he will meet Jacob, a rich attractive man who will teach Cal how to date women (one night stand usually). However Cal is still in love with Emily. The movie has lots of twists, giving the audience enough to satisfy them and keep them entertained till the end. Very funny and clever dialogs keep the interest high. The actors are great each one at presenting a different character quite convincing. All in all a great movie about relationships and love.

Crazy, Stupid, Love.

Author: Jacob Rosen (bix171@comcast.net) from United States
5 January 2014

A huge cast (Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, Julianne Moore, Emma Stone, Kevin Bacon, Marisa Tomei) struggles mightily with a glib, pre-fab screenplay by Dan Fogelman, packed with awkward situations that go nowhere. Each character seems to be prepared to espouse platitudes with the utmost sincerity any time the script deems them appropriate, even if credibility suffers, which it almost always does. With the exceptions of the agreeably smooth Gosling and the warm and witty Stone, everyone has done better work: they seem lost in all the talk; Carell, in particular, alters between cowering and manic but always just happens to be articulate enough to hammer home the literal points Fogelman is intent on making. Overlong and unengaging.

I am really starting like the Ryan Gossling Emma Stone Pairing

Author: richcarter1962 from United States
25 November 2013

First I want to say I do not know how I barely even heard of this movie when it came out. It has a who's who list of A-list actors/actresses and yet I don't remember it getting much press. Well onto how great this movie was. This is a Steve Carell vehicle but all the actors give really wonderful performances, really small parts for some big actors Marissa Tomei, and Kevin Bacon, but they do well with a little screen time. Julianne Moore is as wonderful as ever. And as my title indicates Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone really sizzle together. I watched the their movies in reverse but they were very good in this movie and Gangster Squad earlier this year. and kudos to the youngsters in the movie they were well played and very believable.

This movie was equally well written and directed. It moves along at a nice pace, there is almost no moment in the movie that left me a little bored or thinking of what I was going to have for dinner. There are moments that will tug at your heart strings, and there are outright laugh out loud moments, plenty of both actually.

Even if you don't like romantic comedies, watch this movie, it's probably the best of it's genre in years.

A Very Different and Better Romantic Comedy With a Lot of Twists and Turns,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
25 October 2013

Crazy Stupid Love is a fantastic movie with a really well put together storyline with a very talented cast both in a dramatic and comedic way.I was very pleasantly surprised with this movie,I thought it was going to be a complete cliché romantic comedy and only wanted to watch it because I am a fan of Steve Carell and Emma Stone,but it was very much,much better than what you would usually suspect in a romantic comedy,its a lot more serious and has very little cliché and a lot of unique situations you wouldn't see in other movies and one very unexpected scenes.The moment I realized that this movie was really good was in the scene when we discover that twist,which I won't mention for those that have yet to see this movie,is discovered and all the other romantic situations are thrown together in to one scene,it was really interesting to see how much these characters messed up and that see really just blew me away,its hard to describe how clever this scene is,but you'll know if you see this movie.I would highly recommend Crazy Stupid Love to all fans of drama and comedy,and to fans of Steve Carell,in one of his finest performances,I always liked him,but never knew he could act so well in such a serious role.

Cal (Steve Carell) seeks help from Jacob (Ryan Gosling) on how to pick up women when his wife leaves him after being married for many years.Jacob is a womanizer but soon thinks he may have found really love when he meets Hannah (Emma Stone).

Great in parts but horribly flawed in others.

Author: D_Y_Evans from London, England
11 September 2013

Crazy, Stupid, Love is almost a brilliant film, but it misses the mark so heavily on one of its main elements that is is dragged down into the mud. To it credit it does the 'Com' bit fantastically, Steve Carell plays the awkward 40-something part brilliantly, as he does whenever he is cast in this role. He is a pleasure to watch and this movie would be lost without him. Gosling is even pretty watchable, and at times funny, his character has little depth however, and the parts of the film that are emotional or romantic he fails to put any real feeling into his character.

The films biggest flaw is its women, I am not one to shout the feminist agenda from the rooftops but you get the feeling the Writers had a complete contempt for the female sex. Moore sometimes emerges from these shackles and you start to emphasise with her character but mostly she is the cause of the breakup and has little on screen time with her family. Emma Stones character is simply awful, and her friend in the film played by Liza Lapira is downright sickening. If we take one thing away from this film it is that if a woman is better looking than her partner he better know it, and he better know that he is lucky to have her. It is such a pathetic and shallow view of love an relationships and it jibes so sharply with the message this film thinks its trying to communicate that it not only taints the film but destroys it. As if this wasn't bas enough Stones character for the rest of the film goes from mish-mash-crazy to completely uninvolved, its a real shame.

The film still has its laugh-out-loud moments, and some great writing, but it cant recover from its fatal flaws.

Loved It

Author: sarahevkay from Calgary, Alberta, Canada
27 August 2013

Crazy, Stupid, Love is one of those movies I can watch over and over again and never get bored of it. Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling have great on-screen chemistry and it shines through in this movie. Although the story line is somewhat predictable with the bad-boy- changes-his-ways-because-of-a-girl and the typical the-babysitter's-in-love-with-the-father storyline, it's nice to see the development of the characters through their hilarious experiences. I'm not the biggest fan of romantic comedies but Crazy, Stupid, Love is definitely an exception. I always picture Steve Carell to be one of those awkwardly funny comedians because of The 40-Year Old Virgin and The Office, but his role in this movie opened up a new perspective. He still has his Steve Carell charm but brings in a new side of him as a man who has been broken by the love of his life. I have a newfound love for him after this movie. There's a lot going on with the plot of the story but it's easy to follow and I was never left uninterested. Good job!

The boy is creepy and Julianne Moore's character isn't great. Apart from that it's swell.

Author: (mg174) from The world
10 August 2013

Liked this movie a lot. Thought Ryan Gosling's chest was great and his suave way of dressing was ace. I loved the Dirty Dancing scene with Emma Stone and the banter when they first met. My main beef is about the little boy Robbie: I assume he is meant to be portrayed as cute and winning because he doesn't give up on true love but really he is a serial killer in waiting - completely creepy and a total stalker. Never blinks, masturbating to her, telling her every five seconds. In real life the girl should be disgusted and freaked out - especially given her age. The movie just lost it for me when Jessica (the pretty teenager who is the object of little Robbie's unceasing desire) gave the little creep naked photos of herself. It's meant to be touching and kind I guess but it's not - it's just wrong. Anyway, moving on... the movie is excellent - there is lots of humour and pathos. Emma Stone is excellent in everything she does. Steve Carell was amusing and engaging and sympathetic. Another qualm is that there was nothing that interesting about Julianne Moore's character. The movie didn't explore her midlife crisis if that's what it was. It was pretty shallow - it seemed like she decided not to go for Kevin Bacon because he loved sushi and she didn't (or words to that effect). She seemed like an object between the two guys rather than a real woman. It's not a feminist movie by any means - at one point Steve Carell's character says to Kevin Bacon's "She's all yours" and I would have loved for Julianne Moore to tell them she was nobody's. Anyway, a fun and well made, fairly clever movie - with flaws - and not so lovable ones.

Thought it was going to be better

Author: cory5521 from United States
6 July 2013

Like so many other movies I have seen, it started out great but ended weak. Gosling was perfect in his role and Carell was hilarious as always. Emma Stone was also very good, and crazy hot. The problem I had was that the situations between everyone became more unbelievable as the movie went on. But those situations, while not great, weren't terrible either. The one thing I did have a major issue with was the son. Every time I saw him I wanted to slap him and shave his head. Maybe that is a little cruel for a child that can't act to save his life and has an absurd haircut, but whatever. Still, if the movie had wrapped up nicely it would have all been worth it. But the speech at the end went from dumb to just plain ridiculous. And if what's her face's dad was mad before, I wonder how he will react to being the father of a registered sex offender. You know, the polaroid deal. I mean, seriously!?!?!

Cal becomes a student of how to pick up women after his divorce. His teacher decides to retire when he meets the woman of his dreams, leaving Cal to it.

Author: bethmellick from Australia
30 June 2013

Cal (Carell) and Emily (Moore) have been married for 25 years. Emily asks for a divorce, revealing that she's been unfaithful. Unable to work out how to be successfully single, Cal meets Jacob (Gosling) in a bar. Jacob takes him under his wing and shows Cal how to successfully pick up women. Jacob is a top gun Lothario and is willing to share his secrets. Cal becomes a great student, thus reclaiming his 'lost manhood'.

Eventually, however, Jacob meets the girl that makes him want to change his ways (Hannah, played by Stone), leaving Cal to negotiate the womanizing scene solo. Typically it all falls apart as true love dominates over casual sex.

I love Emma Stone – she and Julianne Moore made this movie likable. There is an element of the bromance in this flick as Cal and Jacob develop a relationship. There are love interests all over the shop which are supposed to tie in together, but the major criticism that I have of this movie is that they didn't fit together smoothly.

Apart from this, there is a lot of humor and great 'bit' parts. This is definitely one of the better romantic comedies of 2011.

Thank you for showing there is a middle term

Author: Olivia Brumei from United States
27 March 2013

I just ended up writing a review on Silver Linings Playbook and I know this review on Crazy, Stupid Love comes a little late, but guess what? There's no problem, it's probably new for many people and just made sense for me to review this two movies right now (probably because I wasn't very nice with SLP and I felt like showing that I'm not a Romance/Comedy/Dramas hater) . This movie really worked for me! It has the funny parts, the more sad ones that make you wonder and the regular ones that just brings you into the characters world. In CSL you get why they're doing what they're doing, you get compassion with them and you route for some situations. The best is that the movie occurs in a natural way and yes, in the end sort of goes the happy ending stuff to everyone but not so much in the obvious way that we're used to and in a way that you realize that is not the end. It is like it was you're life and you know life doesn't just end when you get want you want: there's more to it and CSL shows there's more to it after marriage, after kids, after our first love, after things going really bad. All of this with a funny touch and a modern way of seeing romance (nothing like Romeo and Juliet big drama/passion).