IMDb > Crazy, Stupid, Love. (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Crazy, Stupid, Love.

Crazy, Stupid, Love. More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 27: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Thought it was going to be better

Author: cory5521 from United States
6 July 2013

Like so many other movies I have seen, it started out great but ended weak. Gosling was perfect in his role and Carell was hilarious as always. Emma Stone was also very good, and crazy hot. The problem I had was that the situations between everyone became more unbelievable as the movie went on. But those situations, while not great, weren't terrible either. The one thing I did have a major issue with was the son. Every time I saw him I wanted to slap him and shave his head. Maybe that is a little cruel for a child that can't act to save his life and has an absurd haircut, but whatever. Still, if the movie had wrapped up nicely it would have all been worth it. But the speech at the end went from dumb to just plain ridiculous. And if what's her face's dad was mad before, I wonder how he will react to being the father of a registered sex offender. You know, the polaroid deal. I mean, seriously!?!?!

Cal becomes a student of how to pick up women after his divorce. His teacher decides to retire when he meets the woman of his dreams, leaving Cal to it.

Author: bethmellick from Australia
30 June 2013

Cal (Carell) and Emily (Moore) have been married for 25 years. Emily asks for a divorce, revealing that she's been unfaithful. Unable to work out how to be successfully single, Cal meets Jacob (Gosling) in a bar. Jacob takes him under his wing and shows Cal how to successfully pick up women. Jacob is a top gun Lothario and is willing to share his secrets. Cal becomes a great student, thus reclaiming his 'lost manhood'.

Eventually, however, Jacob meets the girl that makes him want to change his ways (Hannah, played by Stone), leaving Cal to negotiate the womanizing scene solo. Typically it all falls apart as true love dominates over casual sex.

I love Emma Stone – she and Julianne Moore made this movie likable. There is an element of the bromance in this flick as Cal and Jacob develop a relationship. There are love interests all over the shop which are supposed to tie in together, but the major criticism that I have of this movie is that they didn't fit together smoothly.

Apart from this, there is a lot of humor and great 'bit' parts. This is definitely one of the better romantic comedies of 2011.

Thank you for showing there is a middle term

Author: Olivia Brumei from United States
27 March 2013

I just ended up writing a review on Silver Linings Playbook and I know this review on Crazy, Stupid Love comes a little late, but guess what? There's no problem, it's probably new for many people and just made sense for me to review this two movies right now (probably because I wasn't very nice with SLP and I felt like showing that I'm not a Romance/Comedy/Dramas hater) . This movie really worked for me! It has the funny parts, the more sad ones that make you wonder and the regular ones that just brings you into the characters world. In CSL you get why they're doing what they're doing, you get compassion with them and you route for some situations. The best is that the movie occurs in a natural way and yes, in the end sort of goes the happy ending stuff to everyone but not so much in the obvious way that we're used to and in a way that you realize that is not the end. It is like it was you're life and you know life doesn't just end when you get want you want: there's more to it and CSL shows there's more to it after marriage, after kids, after our first love, after things going really bad. All of this with a funny touch and a modern way of seeing romance (nothing like Romeo and Juliet big drama/passion).

Dry Humor Film!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
17 March 2013

Really a dry humor bittersweet film as it shows a great cast and writing along the way.

Steve Carell plays Cal Weaver, who's wife played by Julianne Moore dumps him as he goes to a bar and meets up with Jacob, played by sexy Ryan Gosling.

Jacob and Cal begin to hang out as the former teaches the latter how to pick up clothes, and dates for the soon to be single Cal.

Meanwhile a lawyer to be played by Emma Stone is frustrated with her boyfriend, played by singer-actor Josh Groban in his film debut, who has yet to propose to her. As when he fails to do so, she hangs up with Jacob whom she meet a few nights before.

Also Cal and Julianne Moore's older son has developed a crush on the babysitter who only wants to be friends. While the babysitter has a huge crush on Cal.

So it is indeed crazy, stupid, love. Dry humor to a bittersweet story!

Best Film Ever

Author: Fiona Sharman from Australia
16 March 2013

Wow you can imagine my excitement! That scene where Ryan is just looking over the balcony and it is all in slow motion and he is wearing those tight pants and eating the pizza, i was drooling. (not for the pizza) WATCH this just because he is in it. And beautiful Emma Stone (Nanna/Anna) she is such a joyful actress she is full of life and love and I am so glad her and Ryan end up together! The teenage girl on the other hand that loves Cal is so gross he awkward face and body creep me the hell out i would have enjoyed the film so much more with out her in it! I felt like that was an unnecessary side story. "do you wanna get out of here?" is the line most girls will want to be said to them by the end of this film because we all want to have 'the time of our life'. Oh stop it, Fiona, with all those cheesy puns. You will understand if you have watched the film!

Sweet and Enjoyable!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
10 March 2013

I am starting to become a bigger fan of rom coms precisely because of movies such as Crazy, Stupid, Love. This movie despite some normal clichés we see in rom coms has a heart and is just too sweet to pass on. After you get to know all the characters in the film, you really root for them. They all have good intentions even if they don't make the right choices.

Glenn Requa and John Ficarra's film is about a guy, who after being married for 25 years, is asked for a divorce by his wife. Suddenly being free, he tries to move on but is unsuccessful. Suddenly he meets a younger guy who is about to teach him all he needs to know about women. But will that get him over his wife? The cast is a really good one. Steve Carell plays another sweet, likable guy. He is starting to grow on me as an actor instead of just a comedian. Julianne Moore as always delivers a strong performance as well as Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone. I also liked the subplot that involved the two teenagers.

Overall, this is a very good film that rises above the other romantic comedies made recently just because it's so memorable and has strong, good-hearted characters. I also liked the fact that the funny moments and there were many, didn't come from any raucousness. If romantic comedies are getting made like this, they may have a brighter future. But, unfortunately these kind of above-average rom-coms are very rare. I'm glad I got to check out this gem. I rate this film 9/10.

Do not give up on what you love

Author: Diana Roijakkers from Netherlands
4 March 2013

Normal I don't really like romantic movies. My best friend convinced me to watch it and I'm happy she did. This is now one of my favorite movies!

This movie is not about the 'unrealistic Notebook love'. It's based on real life stuff and problems. Steve Carell as Cal Weaver perfectly fits for this character. And oh my goodness, Ryan Gossling plays the ladies men in the movie and off course he does an excellent job. In the end of the movie, which is super funny and so good, it is clear which message they want to spread to the world; don't ever give up on your soul mate. I really loved this about the movie. Age, size, history, it doesn't matter; don't give up on what you love. And that's why I recommend this movie, it is funny, not overdone and sends a great message to the world

Quirky, entertaining "love" movie with many different entanglements.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
28 December 2011

It used to be the screwball comedies of the 1950s and 1960s, where you would get so many complicated relationships. At first we had no idea where this one was headed but eventually it turned into a very entertaining diversion.

The mainstream story here involves a married couple who have been together for 25 years, and it seems that "love" has become stale. They are out for dinner, looking at the menu, when he asks if she knows what she wants she looks up and says "I want a divorce." This is a great surprise to him, a devoted husband and father.

The husband is Steve Carell as Cal Weaver in what amounts to a mostly serious role for the funny man. His wife is Julianne Moore as Emily Weaver. This quickly results in his moving to an apartment, and their 10 and 13 year old kids struggle with the new developments.

Despondent and confused Cal goes to a nightspot and meets Ryan Gosling as Jacob Palmer whose sole purpose in life appears to be picking up pretty ladies for one-night stands. Jacob observes Cal's sloppy appearance and awkward manner and decides to take him under his wing, to give him a new image and teach him the finer points of charming and picking up women.

All this transpires as Cal and Emily are wrestling with their personal feelings, realizing that they just want to be back together but not knowing how to handle it. The movie is filled with established actors, many in small roles, including the likes of Emma Stone, Marisa Tomei, Kevin Bacon, and Josh Groban in a non-singling role. As the movie nears its end the entanglements get more and more complicated, and funnier and funnier. Entertaining movie!

SPOILERS: The Emma Stone character, a newly minted lawyer, is actually the daughter of Cal and Emily, they were only 17 when she was born. She meets the dastardly Jacob and brings him home as her new love, which startles Cal, who it turns out had a one-night stand with his own 13-yr-old son's teacher who didn't know he was married. And on and on it goes. All seems to end well though as Cal and Emily realize they are soul mates and will get back together, forgiving each for unwise transgressions.

I loved it ... but the wife hated it.

Author: Glock_Boy from South Dakota
5 December 2011

I rented this movie thinking I would score big points in selecting a funny, romantic movie on the night of my wife's 43rd birthday.

She ended up not liking it, but I, on the other hand, thought it was a hoot. So, guys, don't be surprised if you end of sleeping on the couch after renting this one for your date or significant other.

This film represents the romantic changes and challenges we face as we mature.

Seen from all perspectives (15-year old boy, 18 year old girl, 20-something bachelor, 40-something parents), you come away bewildered at the complexities of love, marriage and relationships in general.

How do we marry and keep it fresh after so many years? How does a career bachelor finally find true love? How does a boy express feelings about his babysitter? How do we know we are with the right companion? I liked this film because it touched a nerve with me, and spoke certain truths that I hadn't considered before.

My wife, on the other hand, couldn't get past the multiple triangles of relationship building (especially amongst the younger characters), and I think checked out mentally before she should have.

This is a quality piece of work with some solid acting, character development and a few surprises at the end. Oh yeah, it's pretty darn funny too.

Not Citzen Kane but a thoughtful unexpectedly good movie

Author: jeromec-2 from Canada
19 November 2011

Crazy, Stupid, Love is a movie about 3 couples and 2 educations. It is not an ordinary comedy because people are allowed to say and do things which reflects our times and our society more than it does the wishes and dreams of a segment of our society.

Couple Number One ================= Cal Weaver (Steve Carell) and Emily Weaver (Juliette Moore) are out celebrating when he asks her what she would like (thinking the answer might be something like pumpkin pie) when she announces she wants a divorce.

That's quite an opening line for a "comedy."

Because he loves her, he immediately though very reluctantly agrees. He's read all the modern truisms about separation "If you love someone let them go." So he lets her go. All very cold and civilized. But he doesn't respond that way; he's not civilized at all.

Reliable straight arrow Cal has a response that his 13 year old son Robbie (Jonah Bobo) would understand perfectly. He goes to a bar, drinks too much, and announces to the people in the bar just how sad, hurt, unaccepting he really is. He lives the 21st century but he feels the 1950's.

The Educations ============= The education is in two parts. There is Cal's education and then there is Jacob's (delightfully filled out by Ryan Gosling – a terrific actor who can do just about anything). The first one is easy. It is all fantasy. Jacob convinces Cal that there is a method to dealing with women: Right clothes, right lines, right attitude and right tone of voice; that's all it takes. Jacob is shallow, and who knows but his shallow methods might work on a certain type of woman. Cal sees it works like Alternate Medicine. People around you say one thing and Dr. Jacob another. Who's to say Jacob isn't right?

So Cal is a good student. He goes from an uncertain bubbling incompetent to a clone almost as good as Jacob himself. In one of the minor sub plots, he seduces Marisa Tomei who plays her absolute best over the top recovering alcoholic who has bought into our view that sex is therapy. That is the height of Cal's career as 21st century lounge lizard. It also is a wake up call for him. He knows how shallow all of this is.

The second education is that of Jacob, who discovers that for all her brilliance, Hannah, (Cal's oldest daughter played by Emma Stone) is grounded in something far better than meaningless sex. She believes in love and though she is distracted by her reaction to the cold stupidity of a coworker, she is not so blinded that she can't see where Jacob will lead her even though she thinks that's what she wants. Hannah demands underneath that frustration, that Jacob do more than get her fixed. Perhaps because some of Cal's virtue rubs off on him, Jacob realizes he must comply with her values.

The Second Couple ================= This is really intended as either comedy relief or a spoof on the "Nerd" movies.

It is the puppy love of a thirteen year old (Jonah Bobo who plays Robbie Weaver) and his baby sitter (Jessica startlingly well done by Analeigh Tipton). It is a real over the top presentation, but its not unrealistic. It is the way a young teen would act, if not over someone then something. There is commitment, there is enthusiasm, there is desire, there is single mindedness, there is the willingness to do anything it takes to succeed. And there is wisdom. He is smart enough and practical enough that Cal (who both loves and admires Robbie – a rare combination) admits out loud that sometimes Robbie scares him.

In the meantime Jessica is in love with Cal. She's older but really just as inexperienced as Robbie. In our century sex knows no real boundaries (it's love that's the problem), and she's willing to take the advice of a much more knowledgeable "older" woman – a classmate that knows how to deal with "older men." Jessica accepts the advice and does what she is told. The trouble is that she cannot get up the nerve to give what she does to Cal and her parents discover it. That's when parental love comes in contract with sexual ease. Hell hath no fury like an inflamed parent.

Robbie, faithful and very truthful observer that he is, gives up on her. How can he compete when a woman does not recognize him to be on the same playing field? We have just killed the 1930's and 40's notion of one girl many beaus.

The Least Convincing Couple =========================== I was least convinced by Emily and Kevin Bacon. Of all the people in this movie, she learned the least. Once she was convinced how much Cal had learned, how he could cope and how much he was dedicated to the idea of her, she wanted him back. She's Harlequin at its best.

What this movie did =================== The director and actors rejected any notion of anything less than a good strong marriage. With all its troubles and disadvantages it is still our best option. This movie makes any of us who are in committed marriages very uncomfortable because it is bleak and at the same time rich, powerful and yet people get to snivel, it knows its society, yet it dares to choose a value as old as the beginning chapters of Genesis. It shows our vulgarity, but chooses modesty.

Like it or hate it, Crazy, Stupid Love at least has the courage to stand for something that is critical of our revolving divorce door and shallow discontent.