IMDb > Crazy, Stupid, Love. (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Crazy, Stupid, Love.

Crazy, Stupid, Love. More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 28: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

For those who are still dreaming about an eternal love

Author: voanh99 from Vietnam
21 October 2011

It's been a while since I last came across such a good romance-comedy. The movie has interconnected stories, A loves B, B loves C, C loves D, and it goes around and around. The relationships between characters were portrayed very subtle, so that whenever realizing something new, I'd go "Oh, so that's it!". Despite being a romance-comedy, there are some touching moments, one of such was when Emily was calling Cal.

The movie features a strong cast, albeit not your current hot stars. All managed to give a memorable and empathetic performance.

Although the story spanned an extended set of characters, the plot line remained tight and deep. Highly recommended for in-love couples, married couples, and all the single out there who is still dreaming about an eternal love.

For more reviews, please visit http://voicemotion.wordpress.com/

Realistic Comedy of Modern Love

Author: Troye Dchgl from Hong Kong
19 October 2011

Wow. "Crazy, Stupid, Love" is one of the top comedies this year. Depicting the story of a mid-aged father amid a marital crisis, this film prevails as both as a drama and comedy.

The first great thing is the unpredictability of the plot. You never know what happens next as the story unfolds. There are a lot of twists for dramatic and comedic effects and they unravel very well as the storyline develops. With its appropriate pace and distinctive style of portrait, it has the ability to make the audience burst out laughing and sobbing.

The second plus is that the film is very realistic, full of moments that a lot of people may actually experience in their lives. It is an excellent drama because it takes you through a roller coaster of emotions. What's better is that it makes you feel everything in a relaxing environment most of the time. Sometimes, it can be depressing, and sometimes cheering, but most vitally, it is nothing too serious and deep. After all, this is a comedy and even you are supposed to feel the sadness of the characters you can laugh at the same time.

The message is clear and a great one too. Love is uncertain and unpredictable, but that does not mean we should give up on it. It's quite the opposite. Once you find the one true love, you must hold on to it and keep trying despite the hardship.

This is highly recommended. It's a realistic drama with loaded fun moments and along with a great message and lesson for us all.

Almost good

Author: valadas from Portugal
16 October 2011

It would be a good movie if it weren't for its indecision between being a funny movie and a serious sentimental one. But anyway it has enough of both features to make it agreeable to watch though on the whole it has too many funny scenes to be considered serious and too many serious scenes to be considered funny. But it has some witty dialogues and a few powerful sentimental scenes along with funny ones. The story tells us about a few crossed love situations: a 13 year old boy in love with his 17 year old babysitter who is herself in love with the boy's father, a husband and a wife who seem to be on the verge of a divorce which appears not to be wished by the husband and maybe also not fully for the wife despite of her confessed adultery, a husband who tries to take lessons of seduction from a professional philanderer and a few confusing situations that finish with a great surprise in the end. In sum a pleasant but not too ambitious movie.

The perfect blend of funny and serious

Author: vostf (vik@noos.fr) from Paris, Fr
6 October 2011

The major achievement of Crazy, Stupid, Love is to bundle so much fun and emotion, without a dull moment, in a basically routine suburban family crisis setup. You can't say this for a whole lot of movies each year, unfortunately.

It doesn't start fast, it's rather low key until you get your run through the whole exposition. But it gathers momentum, scene after scene situations become crazier while never spinning out of hand, and characters are consistent and likable all along.

With such a nice movie, delivering on all counts, you should be plenty happy. Yet, if you really insist, typecast is Julianne Moore as the neurotic suburban wife (but she does it very good and with some nuance from previous assignments) and typecast is Marisa Tomei as the crazy funny spicy litmus gal. These great actresses are really underused here. For it's more a movie about the guys, understanding them and have some fun with them, but who cares about this bias as long as it works?

Rom-com with a few surprises

Author: Philby-3 from Sydney, Australia
1 October 2011

As the movie opens Cal Weaver's humdrum but comfortable life as an accountant in Beverly Hills is rudely shattered by his wife Emily (Julianne Moore announcing in a crowded restaurant that she's being having an affair with a workmate and wants a divorce after 25 years marriage. Cal (Steve Carell) moves out and drops in to the single bars scene where for reasons not entirely clear ("you remind me of someone") lounge room Lothario Jacob (Ryan Gosling) who beds a different gorgeous woman each night takes Cal in hand and trains him to be just as successful. Meanwhile Cal's 13 old son Robby (Johna Bobo) has fallen in love with the family's babysitter, High School student Jessica (Analeigh Tipton) who in turn has a crush on Cal. Then Jacob actually falls in love, with young lawyer Hanna (Emma Stone) and Emily starts to yearn for her discarded husband.

This all sounds like a conventional romantic comedy of the feel-good variety, but directors Glenn Ficarra and John Requa and writer Dan Fogelman have a few surprises up their sleeves. The performances are first-rate and the dialogue crackling. There is some reliance on slapstick but also some real emotion conveyed. Ryan Gosling's Jacob might perhaps be too shallow to be true ("you look like you've been photoshopped" says Emily, on seeing his torso), but it turns out that even he has a credible backstory. As the principal lovers, Steve Carell and Julianne Moore exhibit a realism seldom seen in romantic comedy and there is some fine comic work from Maresa Tomei as one of Cal's lounge bar conquests who pops up a bit closer to home. At 120 minutes the film is slow in places – I would describe the direction as quirky rather than slick (how else can one explain the cinematographer's penchant for shoe-level shots) but more rewarding than the average rom-com, and although the ending is contrived it's still satisfying.

The directors, whose best known previous works, "Bad Santa" and "I Love You Phillip Morris" were decidedly quirky, have toned things down a bit here, but the characters are credible and sympathetic. I also liked the way the deep seated prudery and overdeveloped sense of decorum that afflicts middle class Americans are sent up. After an unseemly though perfectly understandable brawl in the Weaver's picture perfect back yard it falls to Vietnamese-American Officer Huang to tell the warring parties to do their fighting inside where the neighbours can't hear. I also liked Cal's line as he is rejected again by Emily outside Robbies' high school after a disastrous parent teacher interview and it starts to rain: "This is such a cliché". Well I suppose anyone going to see a rom-com ought to be prepared for clichés, but here they are cleverly handled, if a little sugar-coated.

Succeeds in every way, with a wonderful performance from Carell

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
30 September 2011

Cal Weaver (Steve Carell) goes into shock when his wife Emily (Julianne Moore) tells him she wants a divorce (she has been having a low-key affair with work colleague Dave (Kevin Bacon). Cal reacts by spending evenings at a bar drunkenly telling anyone who will listen (and many who won't) about his problems: pick-up artist Jacob (Ryan Gosling) decides to take on Cal as a project and remodel him for his new circumstances. Factor in Gosling's interest in lawyer Hannah (Emma Stone), Cal's son's yearning for babysitter Jessica (who is herself infatuated with Cal), and some additional wrinkles...

It is fair, I think, to call this film a romantic comedy - it features at least six romantic relationships and is, at times, very funny indeed. But it is also deadly serious at times, and contains some deep truths about people and their relationships, romantic or otherwise.

While the eventual resolution is no surprise, there are a number of surprises on the way, and these are very welcome (one, in particular, leads to a very funny physical sequence on Cal's lawn). There are a number of places when you are laughing one moment and all choked up the next.. And there are some terrific payoffs, in particular the storyline between Cal's son and babysitter Jessica.

Let me say that this is a wonderful part for Steve Carell, and he picks up the ball and runs with it. His performance here is mesmerising at times, particularly in the early stages where you see a decent man who wants nothing more than to do the right thing, hurt, bewildered, angry, shocked, and completely unable to process what has happened to him, and all conveyed in a performance of quiet and stillness.

Pleasingly, the bad language is kept to a minimum.

I rate this film very highly, and recommend it thoroughly.

a romantic comedy indeed

Author: dhaneshgandhi from United Arab Emirates
5 September 2011

its been a long time since I saw a true romantic comedy.steve carell was at his very best and this Movie was truly worth the money I paid for it

I have always admired Steve carell's acting skills. overall this movie was fun and exciting

to be honest many men in the modern times can relate to steve carell's situation

spoiler.... i loved how the movie turned out in the end,it was completely unexpected to see how jacob(ryan goslin) was actually in love with cal's(steve carell)daughter when all along jacob was the one training cal to amaze women i always love a movie with an unexpected ending

Pulls Out some Stops even if Sometimes Sentimental

Author: pc95 from San Diego
4 September 2011

It's true, the high average review for this movie is somewhat warranted I'm happy to report as I enjoyed this movie when it was at it's best, pulling out the stops and (spoiler) heaping on the surprises. And this movie exceeds at doing that. "Crazy, Stupid, Love" is a movie which packs in quite a few laughs while managing to mostly veer away from the crude humor, something that in-and-of- itself deserves praise. The whole Steve Carrol and Ryan Gosling character relationship and development was a hoot. This is probably Steve Carrol's best movie to date and thanks in no small part to Gosling. Carrol is more or less in a reprieve of his usual character, but the script helps uplift him. Thereare unfortunately the occasional almost forced scenes of sentimentality too that feel mis-placed. Especially a lot of the Dad-to-Son talks, and wife and husband talk - which I patiently waited through as the heavy-handedness of those scenes would abate. Still let me emphasize the occasional nature of those scenes, not enough hurt my recommendation of a rental or check-out.

Finally, a smart feel-good movie. (even if you're not a fan of Steve Carell)

Author: Sharicespieces from United States
25 August 2011

I originally didn't want to see this movie because all I knew about it was that Steve Carell was starring. But my friends (two guys, mind you) insisted that it was the only worthy-looking film in theaters. Probably because they think Steve Carell is hilarious, and not because they're die-hard "rom-com" fans. When they told me Emma Stone (the coolest person ever) was in it, I agreed to go.

This movie starts out a bit depressing, while staying in-tact with the humor that's found in our every day tragedies; divorce, unrequited love, etc. The story starts from hitting rock-bottom and going forward with life. Things are getting better and worse at the same time for Cal (Steve Carell) when he deals with his high-school-sweetheart-wife (Julianne Moore)'s infidelity and her decision to divorce him. At the bar where he goes to look pathetic every night, he befriends an over-confident, over-stylish pick-up artist (Ryan Gosling) who oddly feels responsible to give Cal a make-over. The objective is to make his wife jealous by building his confidence and "game" with other women.

Ryan Gosling gives a great performance, even though he's semi-ripping off Robert DeNiro's trademark persona. And Emma Stone is as cool as ever, winning his heart by being curiously honest and poking fun at what she sees. She effortlessly makes the inner pain of Gosling a little lighter.

This movie is filled with fun scenarios. Did I mention that their 17-year-old babysitter is in love with Cal? And that their over-romantic younger son is in love with the babysitter? I know this movie sounds cliché, but it's the good kind of cliché. The kind that has built on romcoms before it, and made the genre better and more appealing to both sexes. After all, it wasn't me who pushed us to see it.

Absolutely Amazing!

Author: me smith
23 August 2011

I was very impressed! I have always loved romantic comedies, and was very excited to see Crazy Stupid Love when I saw the preview. Honestly, it blew away my expectations! It was full of love, humor, tears, and so much more! Unlike many romantic comedies, this movie had many surprises which, many times, had the audience in the theater laughing out loud and thinking things over in their heads! The only thing - which is not necessarily a bad thing - is that some parts have the characteristics of an R rated film instead of pg13. So just think it over before bringing the little ones! But no doubt about it, Crazy Stupid Love is a must see for everyone!!