IMDb > Crazy, Stupid, Love. (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Crazy, Stupid, Love.

Crazy, Stupid, Love. More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 30: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Might be the best romantic comedy ever made

Author: Davis P from United States
25 May 2016

I saw this movie some time ago, but never got around to reviewing it for some reason. Anyways, like I said in the description, this is definitely one of the best romantic comedies I think has ever been made. The actors portray their characters wonderfully, and the characters themselves are just so well written and gave depth to them. The dialogue in and the writing is hilarious where it needs to be and touching and heartwarming where it needs to be. Julianne Moore and Steve Carell have undeniable chemistry between each other, and that chemistry is definitely electric and alive. Also Julianne Moore is so hilarious here, she made me cry with laughter in several scenes. Steve Carrel is perfect here, no other actor could've done this character justice like he did. Also Marisa Tomei was very funny even though she wasn't in a lot of the movie. This movie is definitely not shallow, it's very deep with a lot of that subject matter and it really shows how intelligent the writing is. The comedy is top niche and the writing and acting is also of the highest possible quality. Ryan gosling and Emma stone do their jobs well and carry their characters all of their own. Stone and gosling also have great chemistry with each other, and that works well. There really isn't any downsides or negatives to this movie. I can't think of anything that didn't work well. 10/10 for Crazy Stupid Love.

More of A Drama and Less of A Comedy

Author: garyhvizdak from United States
8 April 2016

This movie probably looked good on paper (i.e. the screen play) but it lost its way in production with the blame spread around between casting, direction, and perhaps also editing. Mostly, I think what was missing, was creative vision by the director.

Pros: Some tender moments. Several plot surprises. A few good laughs. Several commendable supporting role performances, most notably by: Ryan Gosling; Analeigh Tipton; and Jonah Bobo.

Cons: Most of the plot was boring, with the entire first half of the movie being painful to sit through. There were far too many contrived scenes, some of the more notably being parent teacher night, graduation, and the (cell) phone conversation about re-lighting the heater in the basement.

Mixed: Casting was all over the place, some excellent choices, some not so much.

It's good

Author: Tareq Abo Shokur from Sweden
28 March 2016

I usually cringe through these cheesy and dramatic moments but in this movie I didn't I actually enjoyed many of them and that has to be because of the great acting and that I like these actors especially Emma stone and Steve Carrel. and the story is really well done, interesting and enjoyable with good twists. I had few laughs as well through the movie so if you like romantic comedies you like this one especially that this is not a typical love story between two persons that you know they will end up together besides the drama is really well done here. A great message is delivered through this movie as well that you will get to you without too much cringing .

Ups the ante of idiocy

Author: nameless earthling from Greece
21 January 2016

I had higher expectations of this movie based on the actors involved. The first part is not that bad, but it goes downhill after Steve Carell's character stops playing the miserable and cheated on husband and becomes a womanizer. This movie offers an extremely moronic view of human relationships, since Gosling's character eventually decides to stop chasing skirts after he meets Mrs. right of course and Julianne Moore's character all of a sudden wants her husband back after cheating on him (the reason for this is never spelled out, the same with why she felt the need to have sex with another guy in the first place). The icing on the cake of stupidity is the relationship between the son of the family and the nanny, that concludes with the latter offering some photos of her posing naked to the former as a means of compensating (???) for the fact that he is still very young and she is not into him. In a nutshell this movie manages to offer some of the silliest romantic clichés about adult relationships, while it piles up on the creepy factor about the teenage ones. Not a mean feat by any means!!

After getting a divorce, one man must navigate the single scene with the unexpected help from a bachelor.

Author: Gregory Mucci (muccigreg@gmail.com) from Boston, MA
12 December 2015

Love is many things; it's encompassing, beautiful, painful, and ever changing. When it first begins to build inside us, we tend to stand on the shoulders of giants, embracing the world as this wonderful and tiny organism. After a while that love changes; sometimes for the better, other times for the worse. When it does take a nosedive, we often shun it all together. Crazy, Stupid, Love shows us that no matter how unexplainable or heart wrenching love can be, it will always be within our reach to hold and cherish when we need it the most. Love can come from many angles, and that's where the sincerity in not only the pieced together title comes from, but where the plethora of characters really shine. Showing the relationships between unlikely friends, a boy and his babysitter, a womanizer and a romantic, Crazy, Stupid, Love paints a ray of colors over a simple palette, providing that sophisticated touch to a well-worn genre.

Telling the story of multiple characters that interweave throughout the film, Crazy, Stupid, Love focuses on Cal Weaver (Steve Carrell), a married man that suddenly finds himself cast out into the single- peoples social sphere, ultimately out-dressed and out-numbered by the young and the restless. Holding up in a bar catering to those twenty years younger, Cal finds himself taken under the tailored wing of Jacob (Ryan Gosling), an inheritance rich womanizer that has just about every woman stumbling under his well-crafted and meticulous spell. As Cal begins straying away from but never forgetting his soul-mate Emily (Julianne Moore), we are shown loves game from the eyes of Cal's optimistic son Robbie (Jonah Bobo), and confused romantic Hannah (Emma Stone). As Cal tries to hold onto what he refused to fight for, Jacob begins to realize that there is something worth fighting for, something that will prove just how crazy love can be.

Coming off the heels of 2009's quirky prison-love tale I Love You, Philip Morris, screen writing/directing duo Glenn Ficarra and John Requa know how to handle the multiple facets that come from budding romances. The way they handle love is akin to lighting a bunch of sleazy romance novels on fire atop the roof of a fine adult book store, sending smoke signals to those worn and withered romantics out there. Just like Francois Truffaut's epic love-triangle Jules and Jim, Crazy, Stupid, Love works best as a meditation on the hetero-fueled relationship between its male focal points Cal and Jacob. As we see each one in their individual state, it only adds to the bond they develop later on, providing that true essence of masculine friendship. Though not quite capturing the crazy side of love, Ficarra and Requa manage to add just enough charm and wit to their characters for us to feel attached to, showing just how powerful any relationship can be.

Bringing all of these characters to life is an ensemble cast that feels surprisingly fresh considering they have all been in these roles before. It doesn't feel too long ago that we saw Steve Carrell as the down on his luck forty-year old, Julianne Moore as the confused and cheating wife, Emma Stone as the desirable take-charge woman, or Kevin Bacon as well, the villain. These are all actors that have been through the motions their characters go through multiple times, though it all feels so pure like a new love. Taking a prominent position amongst the A-listers is Jonah Bobo as Cal's son Robbie, and Analeigh Tipton as Jessica the babysitter who both bring a raw emotion to the screen that feels as if we're watching our self fall in love all over again for the first time.

Crazy, Stupid, Love is one of those films that shouldn't work as well as it does, but succeeds in almost every regard. While the title falls a bit short in showing us just how crazy and stupid love can truly be, it does provide a beautiful take on love gone bad and love that has yet to even start. Dan Fogelman's script injects the romantic comedy genre with a vibrancy that hasn't been seen for years, causing us to embrace our youthful woe with nostalgic fondness all the while embracing what we have. Rarely do we get to revel in the marital misfortune of others with such gleeful wit than with this rare treat, ranking high amongst modern romances.

Atypical

Author: oliverwilliamknight from Australia
7 December 2015

Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling AND Emma Stone all in one movie together?! First and foremost this movie has a fantastic cast. Ryan Gosling plays womaniser 'Jacob Palmer' who lives a lavish lifestyle picking up girls at bars night after night, and one night in particular he meets Cal Weaver (Steve Carell) who has just found out his wife has cheated on him. Long story short, Jacob teaches Cal almost how to be a true man if he wants any chance at getting his wife back. After sleeping with several women, whilst also being on the fence with rekindling his love with his wife, Cal and Jacob form a light sort of 'bromance'. One issue I have with this movie is that some parts of the plot are all kinds of messed up. I mean, a 17 year old girl giving a 13 year old boy nude pictures of herself?! The first half of the narrative seems very slow and almost depressing but of course, being a romantic comedy, the movie has an almost 'uplifting' and happy-ever-after ending. Nevertheless, this movie is hands down entertaining and really sets itself apart from your traditional rom-com. Worth a watch.

So Sick

Author: Raul Faust from Joinville, Brazil
6 December 2015

"Crazy, Stupid, Love." is a very known film for a reason that I don't have any idea of. The characters are somehow interesting, but the cast is just as hack as it could be, considering there's just no new actor at all. Therefore, as you can imagine, the movie as a whole is just another merchandising for those actors whose performances are almost always the same. Ryan Gosling, on the other hand, is someone I had rarely heard of, and even thought he seems to be a copy of David Arquette. Moreover, there isn't much to be said about this picture, since it didn't stay in my memory due to the uninteresting plot that has been showed. Maybe "Crazy, Stupid, Love." is just another movie from the Hollywood that we'll hardly remember of.

Boring stupid movie

Author: Edmunds Zvejnieks from EU
8 November 2015

I was disappointed, maybe expectations was too high because of high ratings. Almost nothing was funny. I find there are very few good comedies from Hollywood during last years, probably there are some problems in this genre. To make a good comedy must be way harder than chunks full of special effects. Another one dumb... I can't call it comedy, a romantic film neither. Waste of your time. Nothing in this movie was plausible. A middle aged man, who's wife is vice president in some company, wears dirty running NB shoes matched with too big suit at his office (and restaurant) and when he finds out his wife wants divorce throws himself out of running car. Then comes the Saver and helps to get appropriate dress and the whole trite story begins. Really boring.

Crazy, Stupid, Fun.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
19 August 2015

Crazy, Stupid, Love (2011): Dir: Glenn Ficarra, John Requa / Cast: Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, Julianne Moore, Emma Stone, Analeigh Tipton: Here is a romantic comedy about that urge we all have that is suppose to be pleasant but it often has its hangups. No, I'm not talking about a trip to the toilet. No, I'm talking about love. Steve Carell and Julianne Moore play a married couple of many years but on this evening she desires a divorce. She has had an affair so he moves into an apartment. Unknown to them both, their son is infatuated with the babysitter. Ryan Gosling plays a young playboy who witnesses Carell's drunken rants and decides to help him change his life. This is all done with wit and observation by directors Glenn Ficarra and John Requa who touch down on situations that are common. Carell is taken from despair to repair as his new dating life takes an unexpected hilarious turn when arriving at a parent teachers meeting. He will eventually have to man up and represent the father he always wanted to be. Moore's role is more predictable but her confusion with regards to a relationship with a co-worker works best during her son's visit. Gosling goes from teaching Carell to meeting a woman who takes his expectations to blunt face value. Analeigh Tipton plays a babysitter who actually has a thing for the Carell character while the kid she babysits crushes on her. Emma Stone steals her scenes as the woman whom Gosling cannot figure out, and who ends up being a big surprise revelation during the over the top climax. This is where things get crazy and stupid until love finally renders victory. Score: 8 / 10

A Feel Good Movie that gives an Ephemeral feeling of ecstasy!!

Author: vishaal811 from India
19 July 2015

Crazy, Stupid, Love is an above average romantic comedy that surprisingly manages to add something new to this perennially clichéd genre. The film features an ensemble cast comprising of immensely talented actors like Steve Carell, Julianne Moore, Emma Stone, Ryan Gosling and a few others.

The insane plot gets a jolt when Emily (Julianne Moore) decides to get a divorce with Cal (Steve Carell) due to suffering a mid-life crisis. As Cal is heartbroken from the sudden development, he decides to rediscover his manhood by learning how to pick up girls from Jacob (Ryan Gosling) who he meets at a bar.

Now, there is a crazy scene near the end of the movie when all the characters get in a heated altercation after learning about the crushes that have been developed by certain characters for each other. I believe the final 15 minutes kind of ruin the movie as it involves a cheesy scene in which Cal hints that he still loves his wife and would love to have her back. After the sequence of events leading up to this scene, it feels like the filmmakers could have given us a more offbeat ending that would do justice to the overall tone of the movie.

Apart from a few blemishes, most of the movie is hilarious due to some good acting and intelligent dialog. A heart-warming tale epitomizes the main plot of Crazy, Stupid, Love. It is definitely worth a watch.