IMDb > Crazy, Stupid, Love. (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Crazy, Stupid, Love.

Crazy, Stupid, Love. More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 27: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

This is crazy, unashamedly stupid, this is love - just a shameless but hilarious portrayal of love

Author: Augusta Melbourne from United Kingdom
30 November 2012

Well, it's certainly not your average romantic comedy. Like other films of similar genre, though, it was still clichéd. I wouldn't find this among the Hollywood cheese, but I wouldn't find it as a classic. It still had that small spark that let it down, which I appreciate because it wasn't major, and it didn't try too hard to be funny. In fact, this film was pretty relaxed and like people say, the unabashed humour just made it a feel-good as well as a romantic comedy.

I loved the actors who played their characters, I like Steve Carell for his dry humour, Ryan Gosling was supposed to be the lady-killer who was actually quite funny, but I wasn't as attracted to him as much as the rest of the characters. As well as Emma Stone, I really enjoyed Kevin Bacon's little role – I mean, who can get more awesome than him, especially with just such an awesome name?

I was right, this is a great ensemble of characters, it was extremely funny, and because of the shameless (quite) realistic portrayal of how love works, this wasn't your usual romantic comedy from Hollywood. It was crazy, unashamedly stupid, and it was certainly love.

Funny the way it should be

Author: Treyroo from Saratoga Springs, NY
24 November 2012

Cal Weaver (Steve Carrell) is happy in his marriage and dotes on his two children. Jacob Palmer (Ryan Gosling) is dedicated to the pursuit of one-night stands with beautiful women. And Hannah (Emma Stone) is a soon-to-be lawyer in love with a man who her best friend believes is beneath her but who Hannah (Stone) is genuinely hoping will propose. But Weaver (Carrell) is blindsided when his wife of more than 20 years, (played by Julianne Moore) confesses she's been unfaithful and wants a divorce.

We soon find Cal Weaver living in an apartment spending an inordinate amount of time at a local pickup joint drinking heavily and repeatedly stating the particulars of his wife's infidelity to the establishment's clientele. This puts a serious crimp in Jacob's evening and so he offers his advice and services as a life coach, of sorts. Meanwhile, he's made several overtures to Hannah only to be rejected every time.

I'll admit, there are few moments where the characters find themselves in situations so embarrassing, that I can't bear to watch. That said, this is easily the best comedy I've seen this summer, and perhaps this year. Good premise, great characters, and amazing twists you do not see coming. Loved it.

good for man and woman

Author: Greg Perkins from vermont
24 November 2012

i really like Juliana Moore she is pretty and so is Emma stone she is so i don't know there is just something about her and then Marissa tome is also really pretty. I don't usually like romantic comedies but this kind of wasn't it reminded me a little of 40 year virgin only better because it gave perspective of younger people and the older. if this is a twist and you haven't watch don't read more i didn't know until it happened in the movie Emma stone is Steve carrels daughter. that scene to follow made me laugh it was great. it got me to thinking to about dating and stuff and i can kind of relate. maybe you have to connect with the characters or find them attractive i don't know but coming from a 28 year old male i liked it and would watch it again

jwis "Crazy, Stupid, Love"

Author: ttrabue-106-208742 from United States
21 November 2012

I love this movie. I've seen it like a dozen times. I've seen selected scenes many more. The scene at Jacob's house is fantastic. I'm in love with Hanna Banana. Of course I can do lines. My mother didn't want to watch it because she doesn't care for Steve Carell either but it was on while we were getting ready to go to the casino. She liked it. I don't know how many times I've listened to "So you think coffee and sleep don't mix well they do if it's Highpoint it's decaffeinated." Coin bears indeed! Who are the writers, these people are great. Casting? Wow! I loved everyone in it. There is so much talent Joey King is lost. Reminds of the gas station scene from "Wayne's World." Where they replace the guy with Charlton Heston. Huge star with a tiny role. Start to finish wonderful. Love the babysitter, Analeigh Tipton. Love the Asian friend. Gotta get her name...BRB... Liza Lapira. "The human Valium" David Lindhagen six degrees of Kevin Bacon Putt Put the "Asshole" scene. This is a great movie. I ran out and bought the DVD.

I will never watch it again - but the first viewing didn't hurt as much as I thought.

Author: oneguyrambling from Australia
1 March 2012

I don't deliberately look for rom-coms in movie listings for the same reason I don't try on pairs of high heels before settling on my latest Nikes; I am not the potential consumer they had in mind when they manufactured the product. Put another way, I don't think ads for Crazy, Stupid Love were in high rotation on sports channels or in the pages of FHM.

But I have a 5 foot tall bundle of pent-up aggression that I must periodically pander to…

Cal (Steve Carrell) and Emily (Julianne Moore)are a married couple in their mid 40s on date night at a plush restaurant. After perusing the menu for a moment Cal asks his wife of 25 years what she wants, she replies "a divorce". So the restaurant is not exclusively a la carte then? (I would also ask why date night seemed a good time to break out the news. I mean really, enjoy your meals guys.) Cal obviously had no inkling of the impending bombshell despite Emily previously admitting to a fling with a work colleague, and he seems to have understandable trouble in processing the news that his last quarter century has abruptly ended. Upon moving out he takes to drinking alone in a plush nightclub, annoying anyone who will listen with all too detailed specifics of the reasons behind his malaise.

Enter Jacob (Ryan Gosling *SWOON*), a younger man who similarly frequents the same club, but a man cut from decidedly different stock. Jacob is everything Cal is not, he is bold, smooth and aggressive, the kind of man women only see in slow motion. The kind of man that seems to command the attention of all eyes in the room. The kind of man that can calmly eat dinner at the bar of the nightclub, wipe his mouth and immediately approach a woman sitting two tables away with the express intent of picking her up. For reasons unknown to anyone but the scriptwriter Jacob pities the older lion and he promises to 'reawaken the man in you', cue the lengthy montage where he does just that, and Cal is systematically reinvented from the New Balance sneakers on up.

Now normally that would set the scene in a typical rom-com, with the ingredients in the bowl it would simply be a case of playing out time in the unnecessarily complicated dance of inevitability, with whichever couple is deemed worthy of enjoying the purest form of bliss smoocherooing for the final few seconds before the credits roll.

But Crazy, Stupid Love is a deal more complicated than even that. There are numerous subplots and peripheral characters dancing here simultaneously in an out of proceedings. The proliferation of characters is a strength of the film – Col's son in particular is hilariously awkward and clumsily blunt – but it also requires a suspension of disbelief larger than more out there films such as Source Code or Limitless. The spoiler-free version acknowledges that a rom-com demands coincidences and twists, otherwise where is the muted suspense to come from? But this film calls for far more than mere coincidence, the karma forces at play here are so very strong that I would suggest the chances of actual occurrence would be the equivalent of winning the national lottery three weeks in a row.

But ultimately this is neither rom nor com, Crazy, Stupid Love has its share of romance (I guess) and is generally amusing without moving too far into either twee or gross-out territory – a line that seems to be getting harder to navigate – and although there are precious few laugh out loud moments on the plus side I never hated myself for sitting there, predominantly due to the strength of the leads, Steve Carrell and Julianne Moore are so likable that it seems a shame that their fake movie marriage ended, Emma Stone is rapidly making her name as the down to earth chick that threatens neither male nor female and it would be hard to resent Kevin Bacon even if it was your wife he was hunting.

Which brings me to Ryan Gosling, the current dreamboat for thirty-some women everywhere, nice and non-threatening enough to introduce him to the folks yet ripped enough to leave them weak at the knees.

I actually like the guy, but I don't really understand the allure of a softly spoken man who constantly slurs his speech like Gosling does, regardless of how hot the boy is. I'm pretty sure that the drawl thing is a turn on when he's whispering in your ear, not so much when you're asking – for the 6th time – why he hasn't managed to take the bins out even with those great heaving muscles.

I guess that's the beauty of the rom-com genre, for a couple of hours the normally unlikable becomes likable, the illogical somehow logical and the reprehensible strangely 'hensible'. Crazy, Stupid Love takes several disparate individuals and has them variously hurting each other in many ways, yet we as an audience can't help for some if not all of them to get together… in the traditional male/female marital unit sense at least.

While I still haven't seen The Notebook (and hope I never will) I think Crazy, Stupid Love is a more palatable alternative for guys, and about as bearable as the rom-com genre can dish up.

Final Rating – 6 / 10. I will never watch this film again, but my first viewing didn't hurt as much as I thought it would.

Not as Funny as it Should Have Been

Author: ThreeGuysOneMovie from United States
18 February 2012

Steve Carell is Cal Weaver, a 40 something dad who has embraced middle age mediocrity. He goes out to dinner with his baggy chinos, and New Balance sneakers on. He takes his relationships with his children and his wife for granted and is basically living with the cruise control on. Cal's wife Emily (Julianne Moore), drops a bombshell on Cal while they are out at dinner and tell him that she wants a divorce and that she has been sleeping with someone else.

Cal is devastated and is forced to re-think his life now that he has to live alone. In order to drown his sorrows, Cal starts hanging out at a local bar where he meets Jacob (Ryan Gosling), a womanizing playboy who agrees to help Cal find his mojo and win back his wife. I had some high hopes for this movie. They certainly found enough stars to be in it. Does it translate into a great movie? Not really. The problem with this movie isn't the acting it's the script. The plot is pretty ridiculous and there are unnecessary twists that just didn't need to be included in the movie. It plays out like a bad episode of Threes Company. Although I was impressed with the acting from Jonah Bobo as Cal's son, he is also the victim of some of the most ridiculous scenes in the movie. It's too bad because he could have had one of the more interesting performances in the film.

Julianne Moore seemed to playing the exact same character she played in The Kids Are All Right. A 40 something mom that cheats on her spouse and is confused about what she wants from life. She was the least impressive of the cast for me. The rest of the cast did a good job, Ryan Gosling continues to impress. He proves that he can do comedy just as well as he does anti-hero. I am getting a little worried that we are starting to get over saturated with him though. How about you give us a little time to miss you? I know that I was supposed to like this one, its 78% percent fresh on RT but for me some decent acting can't make up for a flakey unrealistic script that wants us to believe in one too many coincidences.

Could have been...

Author: ron-fernandez-pittsburgh from United States
25 December 2011

I kind of liked the movie, but it could have been so much better. Acting for this type of movie was above par, especially because of some of the convoluted aspects to the script. Must have been difficult for the actors to keep a straight face with all the shenaingans going on. SPOILER ALERT: What drove me crazy about STUPID, CRAZY, LOVE was the 'twist'. Come on now. Don't the screenwriter's read what they write? How could it be possible that the character of Ryan Gosling doesn't connect the name WEAVER with the characters of Steve Carrell and Emma Stone? How come we never see or hear of Steve and Julianne Moore talk of their grown daughter. Don't even know they had one until the big denouncemnet scene. Sloppy writing for sure. Also, how ironic is it that Steve's one-night stand with the Marisa Tomei character just happens to be one of his sons teachers!!!! Speaking of his son and that of the babysitter...that whole plot should have been nixed. Very creepy and strange. Too, bad, because this movie had potential, but someone really blew it. And what about the scene with Steve falling asleep in Ryan's naked crotch??? Very homoerotic and did not belong in this movie at all. One of the best things about the movie, however, is Marisa Tomei. Too bad she was short changed into just a cameo. The movie need more of Tomei and less convolution. Still an OK to spend 118 minutes if one has nothing else to do.

I thought this was a comedy...

Author: sunjen1 from United States
22 November 2011

So my wife an I were at Blockbuster (yes Blockbuster! haha) and were looking for a good comedy. Saw Steven Carell on the movie box, and said "This should be good, let's go for it".

hmmm, my wife fell asleep on minute 30'. I fell asleep on minute 50'.

If I could sum up the movie in one word I would say... "cheesy" The writers of this movie need help. Just having Steve Carell in the movie doesn't make it funny... you need to write funny stuff. It had a lot of drama sequences and some funny skits.. but nothing original.

Ryan Gosling's character was so corny. He is a good actor, but his lines were so false sounding that I thought I was watching a Saturday Night Live "lady's man" re-run.

I'm surprised it has a high rating here in IMDb.

pretty good, but easily could have been great

Author: lakpierre1 from United States
4 November 2011

This movie is your basic funny movie about a cheating spouse. This movie draws you in quick with the basic routine lifestyle of a family that gets bored and looks for a spark, even if its from a fling of cheating. This movie hits the nail on the head numerous times, but falls short with a few boring scenes, and some of the script writing. The actors seem to do the best they can with what they have to work with or with the characters they are representing. I didn't agree with some of the actor/actress playing some of the characters. Some just didn't seem to fit the role of the characters. But still OK. This could be one of the top 5 funny movies, IF the edges were sharpened some...

Everything a romantic comedy should be!

Author: rjw02020 from Johnson, Vermont
10 November 2012

This was strangely one of the best films I have seen in recent years. I went into it expecting it to be just another "chick flick". I came out with almost completely the opposite feelings. First off, what a stellar cast in this movie! Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, Julianne Moore, Emma Stone, and Marisa Tomei?! I was expecting it to be very similar to "Dan in Real Life" (a disappointing watch). Crazy, Stupid, Love incorporated all the elements of what a romantic comedy should be. The name itself is enough to summarize the story. Ryan Gosling portrayed a very different role that we know him to be; an unhappy, rich-boy who has an epiphany and meets the right girl. His normal role is one who starts out happy or sad, and just dives deeper down the rabbit hole (Stay, Drive, U.S. of Leland, etc.). Crazy, Stupid, Love was an incredible movie that evoked numerous emotions out of me (which is hard to do) and would probably everyone else who gives it a shot.