IMDb > Crazy, Stupid, Love. (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Crazy, Stupid, Love.

Crazy, Stupid, Love. More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 29: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

A Romcom That Is A Class Of Its Own

Author: Desertman84 from United States
15 October 2012

Crazy, Stupid, Love is a romantic comedy with a big heart.That is it is a refreshing change and almost a throwback to a golden era of romance. It relies on the sharp writing by Dan Fogelman and the sparkly chemistry of its cast, led by Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, Julianne Moore, and the emerging superstar Emma Stone. John Carroll Lynch,Analeigh Tipton,Marisa Tomei and Kevin Bacon play key supporting roles.It's not that the plot is ground-breaking but it is maybe the fact, the appeal of it is that it's all too easy to relate to the characters and the story.

At forty-something,straight-laced Cal Weaver is living a perfect life with the dream-good job, nice house, great kids and marriage to his high school sweetheart. But when Cal learns that his wife, Emily has cheated on him and wants a divorce, his life quickly unravels. Worse, in today's single world, Cal, who hasn't dated in decades, stands out as the epitome of being uncomfortable as a single person. Now spending his free evenings sulking alone at a local bar, the hapless Cal is taken on as wing man and protégée to handsome, thirty-something player Jacob Palmer.

This is not the ultimate romantic comedy.It is one that makes you fall as hard for the characters as they do for one another while savoring their every interaction.Also,it seems fresher and less recycled than much of the movies released out there.It gets better and funnier after a labored and lumbering start, which is entirely the opposite of most Hollywood comedies.It's the interplay between the characters, the true humanity of their emotions that is long missing from many contemporary romcoms that set this film in a class of its own.

Flawless comedy! A lot of good laughs and very entertaining!!!

Author: nlytnd_1 from United States
10 October 2012

Once in a great while I watch a movie that I really enjoy... this is that movie. The actors in this movie are great! Ryan Gosling is one of my favorite actors now. Prior to this I had only seen him in Drive, The Believer and Lars and the Real girl. Just on those 4 movies alone, talk about a diverse spectrum of roles. The confident all around cool guy is the role you would almost expect him to get type casted into, but this is the first time I've seen him play that type of character. Coming from a hedro, he's one sexy bitch!!!

Emma stone plays her same character, which I totally dig... and why not, no ones better with the sarcasm then she is. Marisa Tomei is classic in this movie. Hilarious!! For me it's the best role I've ever seen her in. They must have been dying on the set, when she was busting her stuff out.

The movie is well written, the story line is nothing new, but never done this well. It's basically just a love triangle that comes to a head. The message that the movie leaves us with is kind of lame and borderline stalker.

Anyways, This is a great movie in any setting. Highly recommended!!!

Ever Lasting Love

Author: freemantle_uk from United Kingdom
27 September 2012

The comedy-drama genre, or "dramedy" is a tough nut to crack and a problem can be that films lean too far into drama and the comedy on offer is usually very light. Crazy, Stupid, Love fortunately breaks that model and is actually funny, as well as dramatic.

Cal and Emily Weaver (Steve Carell and Julianne Moore) are a married couple who have two young children and Emily ask Cal for a divorce after she admits she had slept with co-worker. Cal is heartbroken, loses his friends and spends his time at a bar bemoaning his situation. A successful bachelor and womaniser, Jacob (Ryan Gosling), takes pity on Cal and tutors in the ways of picking up, gives him a makeover and a new wardrobe and after some mishaps becomes plenty successful himself. But he still longs for Emily and there still seems to be a spark between the two.

Despite Jacob's success with the ladies there is one woman who knocks him back, a very attractive law graduate, Hannah (Emma Stone), and this is the woman who he actually has a connection with whilst Hannah actually longs for being more exciting.

Cal's son, Robbie (Jonah Bono), is a 13-year-old boy who is infatuated with his 17-year-old babysitter, Jessica (Analeigh Tipton), embarrassing and hounding her. But Jessica is a bit of strange girl and actually fancies Cal himself.

Much of the comedy is based on awkward situations, mostly at Cal's expense, a little like The 40 Year Virgin. The situation and humour portray is in a slightly exaggerated world, but for the most it works and we can believe most of the situations, except maybe why would a 17-year-old fancy a man like Steve Carell. He does not strike me as a person who teenagers would fall for.

There is a great cast in the film and they are excellent throughout. Carell and Gosling were the best of them all. Carell is a natural comedian, making his character believable despite what's happening around him and is a natural delivery of his lines. He is also great at the more dramatic elements and I would like to see him in more dramatic roles. Gosling has shown he is a very talented actor and can tackle almost any genre and he shows he has excellent comic timing. What is even more remarkable it would be really easy to dislike Jacob as a character, but Gosling and the writers were able to making him into a more interesting, likable character simply because he because he formed friendship with Cal.

Moore plays the most grounded, serious character and she does a good job with what she has to do and she is always a pleasant screen presence. Stone is a strong, fun loving character, with plenty of spunk and when she was with her friend a great person to be around, but the she did get the shaft with screen time and her story was lacking development. Tipton shows she is an actress with potential and she really felt like a naïve, young 17-year-old, both physical because of her small frame and braid and also the way she act and properly why she has a daddy complex, because it is safe.

There are a few visual treats in the film to keep film fresh. The best example is a montage where the camera pans around a bar as we see Cal become a ladies man and see him pick up a number of women in an excellent 30 seconds.

Crazy, Stupid, Love is a very good but there a few faults. There are funny scenes and characters, but Marisa Tomei's role as a teacher who Cal sleeps with was someone who simply mugged and overdone when the character and the comedy should have been more grounded and awkward then overblown. It is even more annoying because Tomei is a very talented actress. Also because of the large cast of characters some of the character really did drop off the screen at times. This was the case of Hannah who is physically not in the film for large portions of film: but Stone is a strong performance and has excellent chemistry with Gosling and her friend played by Liza Lapira.

A more minor criticism is the role of Cal and Emily's daughter, Molly, played by Joey King who seems market the uncharacterised child role. I can understand why she was included because it would have been weird for a 17-year-old girl to only babysit a 13-year-old boy, but Molly could have had a few more scenes.

Crazy, Stupid, Love film is an enjoyable film that is funny for the most part and does build on its dramatic elements and character development. Crazy, Stupid, Love has sometimes been classified as a romantic-comedy, if that is the case it is a great example of a film that avoids clichés and is a film that people who do not like the genre can enjoy. It makes an big constant to Gosling's other romantic film, Blue Valentine.

A Kind of Love between Crazy and Stupid

Author: gradyharp from United States
4 November 2011

The title for this film is a solid choice: CRAZY, STUPID LOVE is. Thought he reviewers and the general public alike seem to rank this as one of the greatest films of the decade, for some other viewers this seems tired and trite and a faux showcase for some excellent actors to overcome a tawdry story. Writer Dan Fogelman (Cars, Cars 2, Tangled, Bolt, Fred Claus, etc) may be taking a step up form his previous work and that is a good sign, but when directors Glenn Ficarra and John Requa have shown their sensitivity in the much maligned if not sadly ignored treasure 'I Love You, Philip Morris' it feels odd they should go for this script.

Difficult to classify as a Romance or Comedy or Drama the film falls into the familiar category of a RomCom. Opening a film with an embarrassingly public announcement of a marriage dissolution over a wife's infidelity and dissatisfaction with her nerdy but good father/provider husband this story embraces about every situation about falling in and out of 'love' imaginable. The idea of a monogamous clueless husband being 'changed' by a smooth talking, much bedded lothario isn't new nor is the 'finally met his match' idea fresh. The manner in which the children of the couple respond with their own needs and damaged outlooks on relationships works OK, but the manner in which the in the process of divorcing couple work through their problems holds a mirror up to today's marriages. The stories surround us in everyday life: the film merely magnifies them.

It is always amazing when the marquee boasts the names of some of our more interesting actors as being involved: Julianne Moore, Ryan Gosling, Marisa Tomei, Kevin Bacon, et al deliver what they can. The 'star' is Steve Carell according to the script, and you have to like the caricatures he creates to relate to him here. There are some fine turns in cameos by Emma Stone, young Jonah Bobo, and Liz Lapira; when they are on screen the film lightens up. But in the end it is a two hour formulaic condensed television series type story. And yet the Bravos form the audience must mean there is a craving for this type movie.

Grady Harp

Not without flaws, but ...

Author: kosmasp
5 March 2012

There is a moment (or two), where the movie is close to lose its way or get off its track. But it's only a momentary thing that will go away almost instantly. It manages to go through the clichés without hurting itself. And while women might only be interested in Ryan Gosling (and who can blame them?), there is more to the movie than that. It is rare that a romantic comedy can be as good as this.

And while other movies try to up the ante on raunchiness, this one almost goes the opposite direction and does a great job in doing so. With Carell, Gosling, Stone, Moore and Tomei you have excellent actors who can convey almost anything, if the material is right. And right it is! Even if the end feels a bit like a cheat, it gets away with it. You won't really mind ...

Stupid and annoying movie

Author: jm10701 from United States
17 September 2012

Somehow the makers of this movie took two of my favorite actors - Julianne Moore and Ryan Gosling - and made them so phony and annoying that I could barely watch; and they magnified all of Steve Carell's most annoying traits so that he was even more obnoxious than usual. I don't think it was supposed to be that way, based on other people's reviews, but that's how it hit me.

I guess Carell fans love anything he does; gasp with amazement any time he manages to cry or to read a line without making a funny face or a funny noise, and tell themselves what a great dramatic actor he is in addition to being the funniest man in the world; and they probably don't care or even notice how anybody else comes across. That's the only way I can account for the vast multitudes who rave about how profound (huh?) this silly, irritating movie is and how phenomenal (awesome, anybody?) Carell is in it. I don't get it, but then I'm obviously not a fan.

And I'm sick of movies that get laughs from pubescent boys getting caught doing what they all do in their rooms any time they're alone and of angst-ridden teenage crushes on older men/women. Those two dumb themes have been done to death.

To summarize this review: this is a stupid, boring, obnoxious and annoying movie that wastes at least two great talents in a stupid, clichéd story about stupid, totally obnoxious and unbelievable characters.

I will never watch it again - but the first viewing didn't hurt as much as I thought.

Author: oneguyrambling from Australia
1 March 2012

I don't deliberately look for rom-coms in movie listings for the same reason I don't try on pairs of high heels before settling on my latest Nikes; I am not the potential consumer they had in mind when they manufactured the product. Put another way, I don't think ads for Crazy, Stupid Love were in high rotation on sports channels or in the pages of FHM.

But I have a 5 foot tall bundle of pent-up aggression that I must periodically pander to…

Cal (Steve Carrell) and Emily (Julianne Moore)are a married couple in their mid 40s on date night at a plush restaurant. After perusing the menu for a moment Cal asks his wife of 25 years what she wants, she replies "a divorce". So the restaurant is not exclusively a la carte then? (I would also ask why date night seemed a good time to break out the news. I mean really, enjoy your meals guys.) Cal obviously had no inkling of the impending bombshell despite Emily previously admitting to a fling with a work colleague, and he seems to have understandable trouble in processing the news that his last quarter century has abruptly ended. Upon moving out he takes to drinking alone in a plush nightclub, annoying anyone who will listen with all too detailed specifics of the reasons behind his malaise.

Enter Jacob (Ryan Gosling *SWOON*), a younger man who similarly frequents the same club, but a man cut from decidedly different stock. Jacob is everything Cal is not, he is bold, smooth and aggressive, the kind of man women only see in slow motion. The kind of man that seems to command the attention of all eyes in the room. The kind of man that can calmly eat dinner at the bar of the nightclub, wipe his mouth and immediately approach a woman sitting two tables away with the express intent of picking her up. For reasons unknown to anyone but the scriptwriter Jacob pities the older lion and he promises to 'reawaken the man in you', cue the lengthy montage where he does just that, and Cal is systematically reinvented from the New Balance sneakers on up.

Now normally that would set the scene in a typical rom-com, with the ingredients in the bowl it would simply be a case of playing out time in the unnecessarily complicated dance of inevitability, with whichever couple is deemed worthy of enjoying the purest form of bliss smoocherooing for the final few seconds before the credits roll.

But Crazy, Stupid Love is a deal more complicated than even that. There are numerous subplots and peripheral characters dancing here simultaneously in an out of proceedings. The proliferation of characters is a strength of the film – Col's son in particular is hilariously awkward and clumsily blunt – but it also requires a suspension of disbelief larger than more out there films such as Source Code or Limitless. The spoiler-free version acknowledges that a rom-com demands coincidences and twists, otherwise where is the muted suspense to come from? But this film calls for far more than mere coincidence, the karma forces at play here are so very strong that I would suggest the chances of actual occurrence would be the equivalent of winning the national lottery three weeks in a row.

But ultimately this is neither rom nor com, Crazy, Stupid Love has its share of romance (I guess) and is generally amusing without moving too far into either twee or gross-out territory – a line that seems to be getting harder to navigate – and although there are precious few laugh out loud moments on the plus side I never hated myself for sitting there, predominantly due to the strength of the leads, Steve Carrell and Julianne Moore are so likable that it seems a shame that their fake movie marriage ended, Emma Stone is rapidly making her name as the down to earth chick that threatens neither male nor female and it would be hard to resent Kevin Bacon even if it was your wife he was hunting.

Which brings me to Ryan Gosling, the current dreamboat for thirty-some women everywhere, nice and non-threatening enough to introduce him to the folks yet ripped enough to leave them weak at the knees.

I actually like the guy, but I don't really understand the allure of a softly spoken man who constantly slurs his speech like Gosling does, regardless of how hot the boy is. I'm pretty sure that the drawl thing is a turn on when he's whispering in your ear, not so much when you're asking – for the 6th time – why he hasn't managed to take the bins out even with those great heaving muscles.

I guess that's the beauty of the rom-com genre, for a couple of hours the normally unlikable becomes likable, the illogical somehow logical and the reprehensible strangely 'hensible'. Crazy, Stupid Love takes several disparate individuals and has them variously hurting each other in many ways, yet we as an audience can't help for some if not all of them to get together… in the traditional male/female marital unit sense at least.

While I still haven't seen The Notebook (and hope I never will) I think Crazy, Stupid Love is a more palatable alternative for guys, and about as bearable as the rom-com genre can dish up.

Final Rating – 6 / 10. I will never watch this film again, but my first viewing didn't hurt as much as I thought it would.

Could have been...

Author: ron-fernandez-pittsburgh from United States
25 December 2011

I kind of liked the movie, but it could have been so much better. Acting for this type of movie was above par, especially because of some of the convoluted aspects to the script. Must have been difficult for the actors to keep a straight face with all the shenaingans going on. SPOILER ALERT: What drove me crazy about STUPID, CRAZY, LOVE was the 'twist'. Come on now. Don't the screenwriter's read what they write? How could it be possible that the character of Ryan Gosling doesn't connect the name WEAVER with the characters of Steve Carrell and Emma Stone? How come we never see or hear of Steve and Julianne Moore talk of their grown daughter. Don't even know they had one until the big denouncemnet scene. Sloppy writing for sure. Also, how ironic is it that Steve's one-night stand with the Marisa Tomei character just happens to be one of his sons teachers!!!! Speaking of his son and that of the babysitter...that whole plot should have been nixed. Very creepy and strange. Too, bad, because this movie had potential, but someone really blew it. And what about the scene with Steve falling asleep in Ryan's naked crotch??? Very homoerotic and did not belong in this movie at all. One of the best things about the movie, however, is Marisa Tomei. Too bad she was short changed into just a cameo. The movie need more of Tomei and less convolution. Still an OK to spend 118 minutes if one has nothing else to do.

Crazy, Stupid, but quite funny

Author: bowmanblue from United Kingdom
27 May 2014

In a world where Hollywood repeatedly churns out 'comedies' which are about as amusing as bowel cancer, it does seem that Steve Carell is actually becoming as sure fire bet as you can get in the movie industry to be actually funny every time.

Okay, so Crazy, Stupid, Love is not a laugh-a-minute fest, but, right from the start, it raises a fair few chuckles. It's helped by having a decent cast. Although, I would say that everyone apart from Carell should be described as 'supporting cast,' as all the best laughs are generated from him. He takes his 'loveable, but bumbling' character we're so used to seeing him as, and applies it here to his cringeworthy attempts at dating.

Ryan Gosling is good too. However, he's merely Carell's straight man and the movie does slow down a bit in the second act when the story focuses more on Gosling over Carell.

However, it picks up near the end, before ending how you've probably guessed it would (assuming you've seen a romantic comedy before).

All it all, some decent fun with a fair few adult situations and gags.

Small criticism: might have benefited by being cut in length by about twenty minutes - just to tighten the comedy up and stop it dragging in places.

It is an enjoyable movie for most part until the writers gave up leaving the stars to carry it on their own.

Author: Rameshwar IN from India
13 November 2012

The build up, humor and chemistry between characters was so good in the first half, the remainder felt like watching a totally different movie with generic writing that just runs through the motions. While talking about the good parts, it is remotely inspired by a subtle combination of 2 iconic movies of the genre - 'American Beauty' and 'Love Actually' with performances inching close to the former.

Cal (Steve Carell) has just been asked for divorce from his wife of 25 years Emily (Julianne Moore). His son Robbie (13) is infatuated by his babysitter Jessica (17) who in-turn has feelings for Cal. Emily is reluctantly seeing her colleague David (Kevin Bacon) while Cal meets a mysterious young womanizer in a bar Jacob (Ryan Gosling) who teaches him how to loosen up and get score girls, Cal makes decent use of it. When Jacob meets an interesting but nerdy girl Hannah (Emma Stone) and decides to put an end to his ways and meet her parents, all hell breaks loose. My synopsis has taken a bit of effort to finish both from my side as well as yours (if you haven't taken a nosedive midway), well that is how the characters are linked and I have not included all. The story is about these relationships blended with slightly intentional dark humor. More than the script it is the performances that make it work. Be it the comic timing, just the beauty of watching them or the emotional depth (nah). Like I mentioned earlier, had the second half been handled with a bit more care and some innovation, it would have become an instant classic. The first half makes smart references of contemporary verbiage, Carell's unique histrionics and giving enough screen time for rest of the superb cast portraying well developed characters. Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone continues to shine in every endeavor they take up. The kid who plays Robbie is very entertaining. The background score, cinematography and editing does not deserve any special mention here.