IMDb > Crazy, Stupid, Love. (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Crazy, Stupid, Love.

Crazy, Stupid, Love. More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 29: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

just stupid love

Author: hayley96 from United States
3 December 2011

So who is the movie about -

1) a 13 year old hung-up on his babysitter who doesn't look at all like an athlete but is a soccer star?

2) The babysitter hung up on 13 year old's dad?

3) Cal and his wife splitting up and reuniting after having the sex flings they never had as young adults?

or 4) Hannah, Cal's daughter who hooks up with Cal's "guy" mentor by breaking down his tough exterior and learns all about his personal life without ever revealing that her parents are divorcing and their names?

If this movie was a dog, you would go "bad dog" and try to teach to write better scripts.

Crazy, Stupid, Love; a simple story ruined

Author: Doug Winters (dougwintersmusic@gmail.com) from Pleasantville, NY
26 September 2011

I've come to the conclusion that Hollywood is incapable of producing a fully engrossing, delightfully simple "romantic comedy." "Crazy, Stupid, Love" makes the unfortunate mistake of presenting three touchingly believable stories along with three completely superfluous, "wacky" bad sit-com ones.Steve Carrell plays "Cal," the emasculated, depressed husband of his restlessly bored wife "Emily," played by the amazing Julianne Moore "Emily" who admits she has been cheating on "Cal" within the first few minutes of the movie and the couple spend the next 118 minutes trying to get back together. There are several genuinely charming, unaffected moments that allow us to see the chemistry Cal & Emily once had as a happily married couple.Ryan Gosling tries his superb, chameleon-like acting chops out on romantic comedy deeply involved in two of the three believable relationship with convincing ease. With a chiseled body, perfectly coiffed hair, million-dollar wardrobe and extraordinary good looks, Gosling "Jake" falls easily into the role of a  disarmingly handsome, irresistibly charming cad. His confident playfulness reassures us that "Jake" is no mere shallow misogynist, he's simply a guy doing what he apparently does best.                              With a great deal of the action set in a chic cosmopolitan "glass-and-chrome" bar, Gosling, as the king of this castle, has yet to meet the woman who can say "no" to Jake's ultra-smooth "closing" line of "Wanna get outta here?" Witnessing Cal's self- pitying ineptitude, Jake decides to take him under his wing. Surrendering his credit card, Cal puts himself in Jake's hands for a confidence-building make-over. Gosling and Carrell's ensuing friendship is genuinely endearing as Cal progresses as Jake's protégé.             The unthinkable happens when Jake becomes instantly smitten by the one woman who refuses his offer for casual sex. But to Jake's surprise and delight the same woman, "Hannah," played by the incandescent Emma Stone returns several days later, plants a big drunken kiss on Jake and insists that he take her home. In one of the movie's most charming scenes, Hannah giggles her way through Jake's mask of perfection, followed by both of them laughing at his admittedly canned and rehearsed seduction lines, with Jake finally admitting "What can I say? They work." Hannah and Jake don't have sex their first night together, allowing Jake the opportunity to begin to open up about himself for the first time, marking the beginning of their light and breezy, ever-deepening courtship.                                     The problem with "Crazy, Stupid, Love," is that the writer Dan Fogelman and director Glenn Ficara didn't feel that these three stories in the hands of these four exceptional actors were sufficient to hold our attention. For some inexplicable reason, they felt the need to throw in Maris Tomei as the sex-starved schoolmarm "Kate," with whom Cal has his first successful one-night stand. She, of course, becomes the "one-night stand from hell," and "OMG!," turns out to be Cal's son's English teacher. In a disturbingly poorly written and poorly acted role, Ms.Tomei is so needlessly "over- the-top" as Cal's sex-partner turned "woman scorned" that she threatens to single- handedly destroys the credibility of the entire movie. Not quite finished, Mr. Fogelman and Mr. Ficarra felt the need to introduce John Carroll Lynch as the Cal & Emily's "wacky neighbor," who appears for the sole purpose of engaging Cal in a cringe-worthy backyard brawl. The fight is so absurdly contrived because the audience is well aware that Cal is the innocent victim, rather than the perpetrator of his neighbor's wrath. But worst of all, it wasn't funny.                                                       And as the coup de gras, they felt the need to throw Kevin Bacon into the mix as Emily's new boyfriend ("David Lindhagen.") His presence is so insignificant, that Ficarra and Fogelman must have been under laboring under the misconception that Mr. Bacon needed to add Carrell, Moore, Gosling and Stone to his famous "six degrees."                         The simple advice I would give to the movie makers of "Crazy, Stupid, Love" is "less is more." What could have been a delightful rom-com ends up as a convoluted mess. By editing out these pointless cliché-ridden characters, the four principals might have given us the streamlined, surprise hit of the summer, rather than yet another tepid, half-baked attempt at romantic comedy. Please refer to "Larry Crowne," "Friends With Benefits" and "No Strings Attached."

More horrifying than "Saw" or "Hostel"

Author: mark_r_harris from United States
8 March 2013

So, I thought I would check out the state of the contemporary rom-com, and this seemed like a good bet. I mean, actors like Julianne Moore, Ryan Gosling, Kevin Bacon, Marisa Tomei, how can you go wrong?

Very,very wrong. What I got was one of the most appalling movies I have seen in a long time, a sick demented number full of crazy stalkers, that entirely endorses and promotes stalker-ish behavior. Because, you see, as long as YOU are convinced that the target is your "soul-mate," it can't be considered stalking.

Hello, Mr. Screenwriter! Have we forgotten that John Hinckley was fully convinced that Jodie Foster was his soul-mate? We know how that turned out, correct?

Ah, well, I guess we don't. So keep on pursuing your "romantic" thesis, and thanks for the details on 13-year-old boys masturbating and 17-year-old girls taking nude pictures of themselves. You are keeping it real and contemporary!

By the way, the answer to the burning question, What kind of dad hangs out at the same singles bars as his offspring? is, Creepy-as-Hell Dad!

Apart from pointing out the descent into the moral pit that this movie represents, I must also ruefully report that there is nothing of any aesthetic interest or pleasure here. No sprightliness, no style, no charm, not even such as might show up in the service of an entirely misguided plot. Not a single shot worth looking at, not a single line worth listening to. The characters are utterly boring, contourless screenwriter creations - no interests, no hobbies, no thoughts worth sharing, nada. No actors no matter how good could do anything with this material.

Steve Carell certainly cannot convince us that he could suddenly become a swingin' SoCal ladies' man, effortlessly picking up women half his age - and again, given the third act revelation here, it's a big yuck that he would want to.

Have fun.

Not funny, too long, creepy and not about love but obsession

Author: markx-2
4 October 2011

About 3/4 of the way through there's a scene which lasts about 2 minutes that's actually funny and I think the audience laughed for the first time.

The film up to that point plods it's way here, with a creepy sad plot and long, long silences to make this moment.

The last 1/4 of the film is totally and utterly pointless and simply attempts to resolve the story in a totally embarrassing and non-humorous way.

Honestly the people who wrote this film have no clue about what love is - it certainly isn't endlessly pursuing and stalking someone who says no repeatedly.

The Plot and the Characters are Unbelievable

Author: 3xHCCH from Quezon City, Philippines
11 August 2011

There had been a lot of good words about this comedy called "Crazy Stupid Love." Although I am not really a guy who would go and watch a romantic comedy, I watched this one for Steve Carrell, whom I believe is one of the funniest guys in Hollywood now.

This movie starts with Emily (Julianne Moore) telling her husband of 25 years Cal (Steve Carrell) that she wants a divorce while they were dining in a restaurant. OK, so now I know that I have a black comedy ahead of me. The movie follows Cal who was "helped" by playboy Jacob (Ryan Gosling) to get him ready to meet other women. One of the women he hooks up with is Kate (the hilarious Marisa Tomei). Emily on the other hand, takes up with David (the ever smarmy Kevin Bacon).

Side stories include Jacob hooking up with young lawyer Hannah (Emma Stone), who in turn was hoping her colleague (Josh Groban) would propose to her. Meanwhile, Cal and Emily's 13-year old son Robbie is sure that his 17-year old babysitter Jessica (America's Next Top Model finalist Analeigh Tipton) is his soul mate. But she is in love with a much older married man. Such is the complicated web that this movie weaves.

Steve Carrell again does very well with this sad-sack character that he seems to know so well. His deadpan delivery in some pretty funny situations that Cal gets himself into was spot on. The character of Ryan Gosling though, I find preposterous. I agree with Cal's belated realization that this guy is one big creep. The women basically play straight men to the male characters, with Marisa Tomei shining in the laughs department despite her short role.

While I liked the surprises in the climax and the touching scene at Robbie's graduation, the rest of the film did not really appeal to me too much. Yes, there were funny parts but a lot fall flat for me. I must say that for conservatives, there can be a lot of uncomfortable situations that may be hard to watch in this film. I know women may disagree with me about Ryan Gosling's part though.

Boring Stupid Movie

Author: james-1609 from Fort Lauderdale
1 December 2011

7.6? Have you all gone mad? This movie sucked. I laughed about 3 times.

Painful to watch. As with all romantic comedies, once it hits the dreaded one hour mark, go away because the "comedy" part goes and is replaced by the "romance".

In other words zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

And the first 50 minutes were no prize either.

If you are a straight male, do not be convinced by your significant (or insignificant) other to endure this crap.

If you want to see something funny have haven't seen before, go rent Saxondale. Or see The UK version of The Office again.

Americans make comedy. Britian makes humour.

The jokes in Crazy, Stupid Love were so obvious and predictable, I was covering my head with a blanket to stop the agony.

I remember when my baby had an infection and she was pooping all over the place. Cleaning that up was more fun than watching this movie. Because after 20 minutes, you were done. This just kept on going on and on and on.

Not as Funny as it Should Have Been

Author: ThreeGuysOneMovie from United States
18 February 2012

Steve Carell is Cal Weaver, a 40 something dad who has embraced middle age mediocrity. He goes out to dinner with his baggy chinos, and New Balance sneakers on. He takes his relationships with his children and his wife for granted and is basically living with the cruise control on. Cal's wife Emily (Julianne Moore), drops a bombshell on Cal while they are out at dinner and tell him that she wants a divorce and that she has been sleeping with someone else.

Cal is devastated and is forced to re-think his life now that he has to live alone. In order to drown his sorrows, Cal starts hanging out at a local bar where he meets Jacob (Ryan Gosling), a womanizing playboy who agrees to help Cal find his mojo and win back his wife. I had some high hopes for this movie. They certainly found enough stars to be in it. Does it translate into a great movie? Not really. The problem with this movie isn't the acting it's the script. The plot is pretty ridiculous and there are unnecessary twists that just didn't need to be included in the movie. It plays out like a bad episode of Threes Company. Although I was impressed with the acting from Jonah Bobo as Cal's son, he is also the victim of some of the most ridiculous scenes in the movie. It's too bad because he could have had one of the more interesting performances in the film.

Julianne Moore seemed to playing the exact same character she played in The Kids Are All Right. A 40 something mom that cheats on her spouse and is confused about what she wants from life. She was the least impressive of the cast for me. The rest of the cast did a good job, Ryan Gosling continues to impress. He proves that he can do comedy just as well as he does anti-hero. I am getting a little worried that we are starting to get over saturated with him though. How about you give us a little time to miss you? I know that I was supposed to like this one, its 78% percent fresh on RT but for me some decent acting can't make up for a flakey unrealistic script that wants us to believe in one too many coincidences.

I thought this was a comedy...

Author: sunjen1 from United States
22 November 2011

So my wife an I were at Blockbuster (yes Blockbuster! haha) and were looking for a good comedy. Saw Steven Carell on the movie box, and said "This should be good, let's go for it".

hmmm, my wife fell asleep on minute 30'. I fell asleep on minute 50'.

If I could sum up the movie in one word I would say... "cheesy" The writers of this movie need help. Just having Steve Carell in the movie doesn't make it funny... you need to write funny stuff. It had a lot of drama sequences and some funny skits.. but nothing original.

Ryan Gosling's character was so corny. He is a good actor, but his lines were so false sounding that I thought I was watching a Saturday Night Live "lady's man" re-run.

I'm surprised it has a high rating here in IMDb.

fresh & clever comedy

Author: Tom147
3 August 2013

Romantic comedies aren't usually my kind of thing but I thought this film was great. The cast is strong (Gosling, Stone, Carell) which is the main reason I chose to watch this film. It is quite a long film but the plot is really clever. There is plenty of different things going on in the film and the way it all gets linked together is brilliant and certainly something I did't see coming.

There are some genuine laugh out loud moments and the film is straight to the point. The cast is great and all work together well, the plot is fresh and clever and it really was one of the best romantic comedies I have seen (haven't seen many but still) - Would recommend this film to anyone.

Very good romantic comedy

Author: jkd15-1 from United States
17 November 2012

There are some pretty good redeeming qualities to this movie. There are some true to life scenes. Overall the movie descends just under excellent and stands just below the Descendants which was an easy 9 star flick.

Ryan Gosling stands out with an excellent performance as a womanizer with style, class and a hint of humanity in his mentor ship to Carrol's character.

Some scenes seem to not be right for the movie and some seem to be made to slide under a cookie cut like movie.

Overall it is an above the fray movie and stands as a great watch and a worthy addition to any DVD collection.

Definitely not a family movie as I wouldn't watch it with the kids due to embarrassing and adult content but I might not be adverse to a teen watching it.

Enjoy!