IMDb > Crazy, Stupid, Love. (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Crazy, Stupid, Love.

Crazy, Stupid, Love. More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 28: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Overall - just cute

Author: baker3909 from United States
5 August 2011

Well, saw this one last week. I never go to the movies anymore b/c there's nothing out but I love Julie and Steve so I thought I'd give this one a try. Unfortunately, there's not enough Julie and Steve. And if you're going to have a romantic comedy, my ONE recommendation is to at least have the main characters make out/kiss. I'm so over these movies where they can't even do a decent kiss at the end or no kissing at all.

I'm positive if filmmakers that don't want to have at least one kiss with the stars of the movies, then they can take out the "romantic" designator out. They should have just called this movie "Crazy, Stupid".

Overall the kids were cute in the movie and there's a great surprise at the climax (of course no "romantic" climax - that is. lol). Well written and of course the acting is well done. Kevin Bacon is tasty addition as well.

If love is crazy and stupid, then what do we do?

Author: ems97 from United States
4 August 2011

This is a very funny movie, but it also has serious content. We see two characters, who represent two kinds of "crazy, stupid love." Jacob is constantly picking up girls at bars, taking them back to his apartment, and having sex with them. This is shown as a silly way of living when he finally meets a girl who ridicules his tactics. On the other hand, Cal has been in a marriage for 25 years and considers himself to have found his soul mate. But there seems to be no basis for why he should be together with his wife - they just reminisce and talk to fill the empty space. There are several scenes in the movie where the idea of a "soul mate" is made to sound incredibly silly. So if both these kinds of love are silly, where are we left to go? Is there any kind of love that is not silly? Perhaps the relationship between Jacob and the girl who ridicules him shows some way forward. They both seem to be happy, at least. Their secret seems to be that they have found something novel. Is novelty the way forward?

Crazy, Stupid, Love. - 4 Stars

Author: Austin Takahashi from Philippines
23 January 2013

There's a sad routine going on with romantic comedies nowadays. Bad ones, like "Life as We Know It", enjoy a wide release and a fat box office, while good ones, like "Flipped", remain unknown to many. But then, to our surprise, we are introduced to "Crazy, Stupid, Love". Here is a romantic comedy written with intelligence, driven by its story, and delivered with actors who are both competent and charming. And, what do you know, people actually know about it.

The movie is about a set of individuals who have, in their own personal way, lost track of true love. A few of them may have never even experienced it in the first place, but their story is about how they get there. Let me tell you about them real quick. Cal and Emily Weaver (Steve Carrell and Julianne Moore) are a middle-aged couple whose marriage has hit a major bump. Emily has confessed to being guilty with adultery, and is now requesting for a divorce.

Cal, in obvious shock, is swift to break the news to his children. Most affected is 13-year-old Robbie, who is in the middle of his quest of winning the heart of his 17-year-old baby sitter, Jessica. Kids, at the height of their hormones, can be relentless in their romantic pursuits. There is a lot of comedy between their encounters.

Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/crazy-stupid-love-movie- review/

Wonderfully written sharp comedy drama

Author: Stampsfightclub from United Kingdom
18 January 2013

Cal Weaver (Steve Carell) starts struggling with life when his wife of over 20 years Emily Weaver (Julianne Moore) wants a divorce. When he meets Jacob Palmer (Ryan Gosling) at a club however, he starts to look at life in a whole different way.

Crazy, stupid, love is crazy. It's also diverse, humorous, contains tremendous comedy performances and is superbly written. Starting off with a wonderful scene between Moore and Craell the tone is set for a bittersweet tongue in cheek lash out loud comedy drama. This is wonderfully balanced, taking into account Cal's emotional dilemma and the conflicting decisions of his wife.

Steve Carell, renowned for his more slapstick style of humour expands into a great main role in this film, playing a dramatic styled performance but giving the grown ups some great one liners. After he gets over his first hurdle there is a scene where he walks into the pub, like he is the king of the world. This is fantastic and you will be smiling, pure comic timing genius.

Julianne Moore fits her role well as well, playing off the other characters with ease and necessity.

But Ryan Gosling is the real star of this 2011 picture. His bravado out for himself protagonist is cocky, is arrogant is whatever negative adjective you want to use. And yet he manages to seduce every woman he sees, making him the envy of everyman and the eve candy for every woman. This film for me excels through its drama rather than the comedy. Taking into account the situations the characters find themselves involved in, the story plays out slowly, getting deep into the character's minds and expanding to deliver a pinch of comedy at the appropriate moments.

In many ways the film may have exceled more if there was more screen time for Kevin Bacon and Emma Stone. The stories involving Weaver's son and his crush is rather stretched and playing off on last ditch attempts to win one another's hearts only takes the film so far without giving the viewer anymore hope.

This story also contains some great observations on love and what it means for people of all ages and who should know what love is and how to go about proving your love from someone. Adding to the family and lustful dramas elsewhere with a couple of excellent plot line twists, Crazy, Stupid Love is a film you will definitely want to see.

A nice twist to the Ro-Co

Author: rbap from Canada
25 December 2012

I hate to pigeonhole it to the Romantic Comedy genre, but I gotta call a spade a spade.

There's a twist though.

This is no 'boy meets girl' story of magical romance with cheap laughs thrown in. Crazy Stupid Love packs a tightly written script along with some great performances. Obviously, there are plenty of 'only in the movies' moments. The quirky parts also tend to miss the authenticity mark, but the laughs don't always come when you'd expect either.

I liked the fighting for love theme. It provides a reminder to all those who watch traditional Ro-Cos and might idealize those stories, that this is a much more likely ending -or rather, that we don't really know the ending nor do we ever find the perfect love, but nonetheless, it's still worth fighting for. That was nice to see in a Hollywood film.

The gloss is there, but there is something more for those of us who look for that kind of thing in film. It's a well made film and I enjoyed it.

7.5/10

This is crazy, unashamedly stupid, this is love - just a shameless but hilarious portrayal of love

Author: Augusta Melbourne from United Kingdom
30 November 2012

Well, it's certainly not your average romantic comedy. Like other films of similar genre, though, it was still clichéd. I wouldn't find this among the Hollywood cheese, but I wouldn't find it as a classic. It still had that small spark that let it down, which I appreciate because it wasn't major, and it didn't try too hard to be funny. In fact, this film was pretty relaxed and like people say, the unabashed humour just made it a feel-good as well as a romantic comedy.

I loved the actors who played their characters, I like Steve Carell for his dry humour, Ryan Gosling was supposed to be the lady-killer who was actually quite funny, but I wasn't as attracted to him as much as the rest of the characters. As well as Emma Stone, I really enjoyed Kevin Bacon's little role – I mean, who can get more awesome than him, especially with just such an awesome name?

I was right, this is a great ensemble of characters, it was extremely funny, and because of the shameless (quite) realistic portrayal of how love works, this wasn't your usual romantic comedy from Hollywood. It was crazy, unashamedly stupid, and it was certainly love.

Funny the way it should be

Author: Treyroo from Saratoga Springs, NY
24 November 2012

Cal Weaver (Steve Carrell) is happy in his marriage and dotes on his two children. Jacob Palmer (Ryan Gosling) is dedicated to the pursuit of one-night stands with beautiful women. And Hannah (Emma Stone) is a soon-to-be lawyer in love with a man who her best friend believes is beneath her but who Hannah (Stone) is genuinely hoping will propose. But Weaver (Carrell) is blindsided when his wife of more than 20 years, (played by Julianne Moore) confesses she's been unfaithful and wants a divorce.

We soon find Cal Weaver living in an apartment spending an inordinate amount of time at a local pickup joint drinking heavily and repeatedly stating the particulars of his wife's infidelity to the establishment's clientele. This puts a serious crimp in Jacob's evening and so he offers his advice and services as a life coach, of sorts. Meanwhile, he's made several overtures to Hannah only to be rejected every time.

I'll admit, there are few moments where the characters find themselves in situations so embarrassing, that I can't bear to watch. That said, this is easily the best comedy I've seen this summer, and perhaps this year. Good premise, great characters, and amazing twists you do not see coming. Loved it.

good for man and woman

Author: Greg Perkins from vermont
24 November 2012

i really like Juliana Moore she is pretty and so is Emma stone she is so i don't know there is just something about her and then Marissa tome is also really pretty. I don't usually like romantic comedies but this kind of wasn't it reminded me a little of 40 year virgin only better because it gave perspective of younger people and the older. if this is a twist and you haven't watch don't read more i didn't know until it happened in the movie Emma stone is Steve carrels daughter. that scene to follow made me laugh it was great. it got me to thinking to about dating and stuff and i can kind of relate. maybe you have to connect with the characters or find them attractive i don't know but coming from a 28 year old male i liked it and would watch it again

jwis "Crazy, Stupid, Love"

Author: ttrabue-106-208742 from United States
21 November 2012

I love this movie. I've seen it like a dozen times. I've seen selected scenes many more. The scene at Jacob's house is fantastic. I'm in love with Hanna Banana. Of course I can do lines. My mother didn't want to watch it because she doesn't care for Steve Carell either but it was on while we were getting ready to go to the casino. She liked it. I don't know how many times I've listened to "So you think coffee and sleep don't mix well they do if it's Highpoint it's decaffeinated." Coin bears indeed! Who are the writers, these people are great. Casting? Wow! I loved everyone in it. There is so much talent Joey King is lost. Reminds of the gas station scene from "Wayne's World." Where they replace the guy with Charlton Heston. Huge star with a tiny role. Start to finish wonderful. Love the babysitter, Analeigh Tipton. Love the Asian friend. Gotta get her name...BRB... Liza Lapira. "The human Valium" David Lindhagen six degrees of Kevin Bacon Putt Put the "Asshole" scene. This is a great movie. I ran out and bought the DVD.

Very funny

Author: yeltzmanmatt from Birmingham, England
18 November 2012

This is the funniest film I have seen in a long time. It's a strange film in a way as it's billed as a Rom-Com but is far edgier and much funnier than that.

I am not a particularly big fan of Steve Carrel but here he excels as a man left bewildered when his wife admits to an affair. What follows is slightly surreal as he is taken under his wing by the charming Rylan Gosling and taught about how to woo women. The results are hilarious as both men change the way they think over the course of the following months.

An excellent cast featuring great performances from Gosling, Julianne Moore and the impressive Emma Stone make the very funny script come to life. This is a Rom-Com that no guy can be ashamed of watching and liking and the best of it's kind since Four Weddings and a Funeral.