IMDb > Crazy, Stupid, Love. (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 30:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Crazy,Stupid, Love Movie

Author: larann from United States
6 August 2011

I wasn't sure if I wanted to see this movie at the theater,but I am really glad I did. The characters are well played out, not very likable at first, but after you get to know the cast, you really feel for everyone. I thought Julianne Moore & Steve Carrell had great chemistry with their relationship. Super script, nice directing, great casting with Robbie, the son. This movie will surprise you at how good it is. I loved how you saw the characters at work, at home, at the bar & with their friends. This was very well played out & comes together in the end extremely well. Ryan Gosling is very hot even when he is sleazy. Great date night movie!!

Mediocre

Author: paulalner from UK
19 October 2011

I feel compelled to write as I can't believe the rating this movie has. We've seen it all before many times and this movie brings nothing new. OK let me begin, the first 40 minutes are funny, if it ended there it would be 10, Carrell & Gosling give good performances and really gel as a duo but like so many comedies it loses it's way and the mid section drags only to find that the finale is a big sentimental schmaltz that really shouldn't be present in a comedy. Why do American comedies always do this (Sandler, Carrey)? It's better than Just go with it, it couldn't be any worse!, and the performances are all first rate, it's just a pity the project is wanting.

Not as great as everyone says but it's still a notch above the usual romantic comedy.

Author: Jimmy Collins from United States
8 October 2011

After seeing the trailer a million times at theaters I was looking forward to seeing Crazy Stupid Love as it has one of my favorite actors in it, Julianne Moore. It looked to me like a smart romantic comedy for adults with a bit of an edge, which is exactly what it is, the story is fresh and appeals to a broad age range, the Steve Carrell/Julianne Moore storyline appeals to the older married demographic and the Ryan Gosling/ Emma Stone storyline appeals to the younger hipper generation.

Steve Carrell gives a terrific performance as the poor guy whose life just seems to go from bad to worse, I think he will be nominated for a golden globe or something like that, he is a very funny guy to watch no matter what role he is in, the rest of the cast is fine also, Miss Moore once again proves she us an actress with a spectacular, Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone have excellent chemistry together which makes them entirely believable as lovers, however one person steals the show and that is Marisa Tomei in all her nutty glory, her scenes are exceptionally funny but they are too few and far between.

This movie does have it's flaws, the end twist is too far fetched and unbelievable, I think it would have been better if they gave you some clues as to how the story all comes together in the end, the Gosling/Stone relationship isn't given enough time to make you really care, and also it's a tad too long. But other than that this is a nice, funny and overall enjoyable film to watch.

Not funny.

Author: PWNYCNY from United States
18 August 2011

Crazy, stupid, love? The middle word aptly describes this ridiculous movie. Steve Carell and the other cast members are completely unfunny in this movie that purportedly is a comedy. The story is dreary and implausible. Steve Carell's character is so unbelievable that no amount of literary license can make it plausible. When Steve Carell throws himself out of a moving car, that sets the tone for this movie. Not only is this movie not funny, the story is warped. It asks the audience to accept certain premises that are not are not only untenable but destroy whatever humor the story may contain. As a study of domestic dysfunctionality, the movie does better job, but frankly that is not supposed to be the theme of the story. There is nothing funny about a man ejecting himself from a car after he learns that his wife wants a divorce and that his life has been turned upside down. That's tragic. If someone is expecting an amusing movie, prepare to be disappointed. The same can be said if you are expecting high drama. In fact, it might be best of you wait until the movie goes to DVD land.

kitsch, sloppy, no love

Author: donflush from United States
2 September 2011

I went to see this upon reading the cast members...Marisa Tomei, Julianne Moore, Kevin Bacon, wow. But what a waste of talent for these people, and a waste of time for me as well. The story felt very sloppy, and the characters were bland as a result. Steve Carell's role reminded me of his role in "40-yr-old virgin": nerdy middle-age guy with little sexual experience. Sure he managed to be funny at parts but talk about typecast! Ryan Gosling's role meant to be a muscular dandy but came off as border-line homosexual. His upper body seemed to occupy an unhealthy amount of screen time. And one scene they put Steve Carell's face right on Ryan Gosling's groin area-what the hell was that all about? Oh and the whole thing about the 17-yr-old babysitter taking naked photos of herself for Cal(Steve Carell)-what?? How's that funny? It's rather disturbing! Julianne Moore's performance was kind of generic and I couldn't take one more shot of her teary, blank stare. And I also thought their kid (Jonah Bobo) was horrid! His character was the most painful to watch, following by Emma Stone. My! What a terrible actress. The total lack of depth of the film was astounding. Please can someone tell me what's the point of the story? I mean, really. I think it was made for people that are grown up on the outside but still 8-yr-olds on the inside. For the real grown-ups, it might leave a bad taste in your mouth, so be warned.

Stupid stupid stupid

Author: sharonmaceda-1 from United States
6 October 2011

I watched this movie trying to distinguish it from a soap opera or romance novel, that it was almost impossible to do. The idea is that a woman (Julian Moore) has sex with a co-worker (Kevin Bacon). Then on their way home after dinner, she tells her loving husband of 25 years (Steve Carrell)—a dinner where he thinks everything went great, by the way—that she screwed her co-worker and she wants a divorce. Let's just review this… the guy, after 25 years, still loves his wife, and still takes her out to dinner, along with the fact that he's a loving husband, hard worker and all the trimmings…and she screws around behind his back and SHE wants a divorce. Let's go one more step: the guy is lost after that, he just literally jumps out of the car and is so sick to his stomach, because let's face it, mister perfect man loved his wife and loved his life, and he finds out within seconds that his wife is screwing another man and wants a divorce. Fast forward a bit. Now he's drinking a lot, he's lonely, he has to go out and live in an apartment (of course she gets the house), and all that, and then, after meeting the town hunk (Ryan Gossling), he is mentored into the ways of the world and women. So after some months go by, he finally starts to have sex with other women…did I mention that he never had sex with another woman other than his wife before she kicked him out and he'd had no desire to cheat? And this is the killer—after he has sex with other women, his soon-to-be ex-wife flips out! Did I miss something here? She screwed someone else, she's divorcing him, but she flips out when he seeks out other female companionship. Wait, it gets better! All along, he's still trying to do the right thing. He waters the lawn at his (separated) wife's house, he continues to be a good dad, and he continues, under the influence of his son, to attempt to get his wife back. This is the message I get: a spouse cheats, wants a divorce and then the other spouse—who never did anything wrong—has to do all the work to try to fix things. That doesn't sit right with me. Maybe in some twisted fantasy a woman, or man, wants to think they can cheat, demand a divorce and have their mate pursue them endlessly, but that's not reality...nor does it make for good entertainment.

Better than expected!...

Author: Andy Steel
11 November 2012

I actually found it quite engaging eventually; it was a little hard to get into at first but when the narrative began to settle down I could see a structure there that had potential. Brief summary: When Emily Weaver (Julianne Moore) announces to her husband Cal (Steve Carell) that she wants a divorce, his world collapses around him. She had slept with another man, David Lindhagen (Kevin Bacon) and Cal finds that hard to take since they had been together since high school. He takes to going to bars to drown his sorrows and is taken under the wing of Jacob Palmer (Ryan Gosling) who shows him how to dress, behave and (most importantly) how to pick up women. At this he is quite successful (eventually) but he feels there is still something missing. Meanwhile there are a couple of other sub-plots going on. One involves Cal's son, Robbie (Jonah Bobo), who has become infatuated with his babysitter, Jessica (Analeigh Tipton). She, meanwhile is holding a torch for Cal… With me so far?... Also, there is law student, Hannah (Emma Stone) who Jacob had been unsuccessful in picking up when we first meet him (I can't really say any more about her without giving too much away, so here I'll stop). All these threads eventually tie together in what (at times) appears like a French farce, but which does ultimately have a very valid point.

All the performances were very good with Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling and Julianne Moore taking centre stage. I thought Kevin Bacon was slightly underused, and more could have been made of Emma Stone's character. Over all, it's pretty well made but the narrative does tend to wander in places. An endearing film that does have quite a strong message about love and about soul mates. I freely admit this old romantic found it quite relatable.

SteelMonster's verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.5/10

You can find an expanded version of this review on my blog: Thoughts of a SteelMonster.

very different yet very dramatic dark comedy

Author: buttercup cakes
23 October 2012

just the usual storyline..parents break up in the beginning and get back together at the end..but the things that happen in between makes this movie a lot different, a lot better than other movies of same genre.. the positives are the way they have treated this story line, the cast, their acting -steve carell keep this movie going and Ryan gosling looks really stunning with his perfect abs..but the screenplay cud have been bit better..most of the scenes takes place in the bar..those thing make the movie go slower..and also the same old clichés like mom cheating over dad, and dad getting back to the family in a thought provoking, eye opening speech in the end are bit dramatic...but whatever said, if only the pace of the movie was good then this movie could have become one of the best movies in this genre

One of the best of its genre.

Author: Girish Gowda from BengaLuru, Karnataka
7 March 2012

Romantic comedies are dime a dozen these days and they are all mostly tacky, boring or unbelievably clichéd and raunchy but even then they are soulless rehashes of the same stuff over and over again. So when my friend recommended "Crazy, Stupid, Love", I wasn't too interested to watch another romcom even though it starred some of my favorite actors like Emma Stone, Julianne Moore, Steve Carell, Bacon and Ryan Gosling. But, she finally persuaded me to watch this with her last week and boy do I wish I had seen this sooner.

An average middle-aged couple, Cal (Steve Carell) and Emily Weaver (Julianne Moore) are out on a date when Emily announces that she wants a divorce as she is stuck in a rut and is bored by her married life. Cal cannot process the thought that the woman he loves doesn't want him anymore and is sleeping with another guy, Lindhaaaaaagen (Kevin Bacon) and leaves home. He keeps on moping at the hot local club to everybody who would listen to his plight. Here Jacob Palmer (Ryan Gosling), who is a real charming ladies man and seems quite successful in his life, decides to help out Cal in becoming a real man and score with the opposite sex. But Jacob cannot score with this one hottie, Hanna (Emma Stone) who is in a stupid relationship with a lawyer, according to her best friend. The rest of the movie is about how their paths collide with each other and a babysitter's crush on the dad, while the son crushes on the babysitter.

This movie is really refreshingly different from the tons of other romcoms that are being churned out by Hollywood. Its surprisingly deep without throwing it at our faces, tugged at my heartstrings in a few scenes and yet made me laugh so much and relate to these flawed characters. Marissa Tomei's cameo role was awesome! Emma is as usual, brilliant in the movie. Its nice to see Gosling in a comedy after a long time. He really looked and acted like a sexy heartthrob and reminded me of Jensen Ackles for some reason. Julianne and Carell rarely disappoint me. The lovestruck babysitter, Jessica (Analeigh Tipton) deserves a special mention. It could have come off as cheesy and disgusting, but any scene involving her and Cal or her and the teen boy were so intense and ridiculously hilarious! Suffice to say that all the actors were great and I can see no flaws in the storyline or anything which made me not like the movie in any way.

Oh, and also nobody could predict that amazing twist at the end! If anybody says they could see it coming without knowing that beforehand, is just plain (insert expletive) you! Or they're just saying it randomly and sticking to it. Most comedies are dragged down by the second half of the movie, but that never happens here. There's no slump!! All the credit goes to the writers and actors for pulling this off seamlessly and rooting it in reality while not compromising on the laughs. It has its heart in the right place and the story doesn't depend on cheesy, raunchy antics to push the plot forward.

As I grow older and being a guy, I am finding that the romcoms I once loved are getting more nauseating day by day and there are very few of them that I really like. "Crazy, Stupid, Love" is a little gem of a movie, quite easily the best comedy of the year. I'm not exaggerating when I say that this movie should have been nominated for the Oscars in place of "Bridesmaids" if they wanted a distinct comedy movie to be in the Best Picture category. Watch it folks, you won't be regretting it.

just stupid love

Author: hayley96 from United States
3 December 2011

So who is the movie about -

1) a 13 year old hung-up on his babysitter who doesn't look at all like an athlete but is a soccer star?

2) The babysitter hung up on 13 year old's dad?

3) Cal and his wife splitting up and reuniting after having the sex flings they never had as young adults?

or 4) Hannah, Cal's daughter who hooks up with Cal's "guy" mentor by breaking down his tough exterior and learns all about his personal life without ever revealing that her parents are divorcing and their names?

If this movie was a dog, you would go "bad dog" and try to teach to write better scripts.

Page 2 of 30:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]