IMDb > Some Guy Who Kills People (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Fun, inventive, and unique

Author: Jason Nagy
13 June 2011

The title of this film, 'Some Guy Who Kills People' says it all. It's a tongue-in-cheek look at the horror and who-done-it films.

Kevin Corrigan and Barry Bostwick were great, but the person that really stole the film was Ariel Gade. She was funny and brash, but came off so sweet.

It has a dark subtle humor that I'm a fan of. The kind that makes you pay close attention so you don't miss a line. The Directing and cinematography were excellent, and the acting was spot on.

This is a film has many layers and will be liked for it's comedy, mystery, and horror elements.

Some Guy Who Kills People is set to become one of the classics of the genre. And that's no joke.

Author: Robert Harding from Canada
8 December 2011

Going into Some Guy Who Kills People it seemed like nobody knew much about the film and going by the trailer, nobody was expecting much either. Was I ever wrong. This film didn't just kill it's own characters, it also had the audience dying with laughter. Don't get fooled by the trailer... you'll only end up a fool yourself.

Karen Black isn't in the film as much as I'd like her to be as she not only has some of the best lines in the film but her performance is absolutely fantastic. Karen really outdid herself in this role and though some veterans might just decide to call their roles in, she goes well beyond what anyone could have expected from her.

A newcomer to the scene, Ariel Gade, is a breath of fresh air. Move over Chloë Moret, there may be some new competition in the young genre actor category. Ariel not only plays a smart character, she's a smart choice and a great find. Who would have thought the little girl from Dark Water and Aliens vs Predator - Requiem would turn out to be such a good actor? She was made for the role and delivers it with a timing you usually only find in seasoned veteran actors.

Finally there's Barry Bostwick. What can I say about a man that first caught my eye as Brad Majors in The Rocky Horror Picture Show? How about being my favourite thing about this film? From the trailer for the film you can see that there is humour involved in his part. What you don't see is the fact that because Mr. Bostwick is the sheriff, he's in the film a lot. His character is absolutely off the wall and Mr. Bostwick plays him brilliantly. He is comedy gold with a deadpan serious delivery that combines super intelligence with hit you over the head obvious observations. He might give Yoda a run for his money.

Some Guy Who Kills People is marketing itself to the wrong crowd. This film is comedy gold through and through but seems to be trying to sell itself as a horror comedy. Sure there are elements of horror with the serial killer aspect but the horror portion of the film is only there so that the comedic elements have a plot to wrap themselves around. This film should focus on selling the laughs and less on trying to win over the genre crowd.

This is just one funny movie.

Beautifully crafted black comedy

Author: chaugnurfaugn-269-83012 from United Kingdom
14 May 2012

The Dexter series has paved the way nicely for some modern anti-heroes. It's OK to be a serial killer provided the people you kill are not nice people. The worse the crime, the more acceptable (on screen) it is to kill the criminal and the less guilty we can feel about enjoying the spectacle of their death.

So Some Guy Who Kills People rides along on similar rails and gives us someone we can both root for, be afraid of and concerned about all in one highly confusing package.

Kevin Corrigan plays unorthodox Ken Boyd, a depressive cartoonist recently released from the 'loony bin' into a world he doesn't understand. Clearly resident in the kind of small town community where everyone knows everyone else, Boyd lives with his sardonic mother (Karen Black) and works the only job he can get: slopping out ice cream at the local diner.

Ken keeps his head down and his mouth shut, but life has a way of intruding on his self-imposed cocoon in the form of his best friend Irv's unyielding encouragement to get out there and grab the bull by the horns, the attentions of beautiful English girl Stephanie (Lucy Davis) and Ken's long absent daughter of eleven years, Amy. This trio of distractions are merciless in their presence, drawing Ken away from his preferred mode of introspection and silence.

Character development is awesome, with young Ariel Gade hitting just the right level of chatty pre-teen and needy daughter vs vulnerable sweet kid and mini-charmer to win us over rather than put us off. Corrigan is effortlessly charismatic despite his apparent predilection for decapitating his enemies, and his rarity of lines (despite his presence in most scenes). Lucy Davis is a little too attractive and besotted to be believable, particularly as the first time she encounters Ken he is dressed up in a most unbecoming giant ice-cream costume. Davis also has a limited acting range, giving the same performance here as she gave in The Office and other American projects of late.

But Barry Bostwick is simply sublime as the eminently watchable Sheriff Walt Fuller and Karen Black puts in a great performance as the disillusioned chain-smoking mother with only the lowest expectations in her son.

Ultimately a moral warning about the perils of withdrawing and allowing the past to consume the present; thus missing out on the important things (like the parent/child relationship) Some Guy Who Kills People is a thought-provoking, beautifully crafted tale from beginning to end featuring some of the most comically subtle black humour you're ever likely to see on the big screen. You'll laugh, but you'll also hover on the edge of your seat. Mixing comedy with genuine drama is no mean feat and full credit should go to Perez, Levin and their wonderful cast for pulling it off with unparalleled aplomb.

Violent, yet touching.

Author: evlkeith from United Kingdom
16 December 2011

You can smell the involvement of John Landis in this production very early on. It hits just the right tone of slapstick horror, comedy and family drama.

Ken Boyd (Kevin Corrigan) has been in a hospital for the treatment of his depression and suicidal tendencies. When he gets out, he acquires a little job working in an ice-cream parlour (the advertising of which provides many chuckles). We get flashbacks of bullies at school torturing him. Then, back in the present, the bullies start to get killed with a modicum of gratuitous violence. Throw into the mix his daughter Amy (Ariel Gade - Dark Water), who has just found out where her dad lives, and you've got the recipe for gory death pie topped with tender fatherliness.

This film has many strengths. It is well made and well written. Most of the funny lines go to the Sheriff and Boyd's mum and there are enough to keep you laughing throughout (your sense of humour needs to be on the black side though). The main strength is the acting and relationship of the father and daughter. Corrigan is fantastic as a man coming from depression into a state where he feels more able to cope with life by the end. Gade is wise beyond her years and the relationship between her and her dad comes across as very real.

One fly in the topical cream is the inclusion of Lucy Davis as a love interest for Boyd. She was in The Office. She's irritating.

If you can stomach a small amount of gore and blood you will be rewarded with a funny and touching experience.

Best New Horror Film?

Author: gavin6942 from United States
25 June 2012

Ken Boyd (Kevin Corrigan), a lonely man fresh out of the loony bin, sets out to kill those he deems responsible for his miserable life.

Since I did not know most of the people attached to this (besides Karen Black and executive producer John Landis), I did not know what to expect. I set my sights low, and came out with quite an impressed mind. This is not your typical slasher. It is oddly endearing and has just enough comedy and plot twists to really keep the audience interested.

Kevin Corrigan is superb, Barry Bostwick even better... but, of course, we must salute Ariel Gade in this breakout performance. She adeptly portrays the precocious 11-year old Amy, and is both likable and a good plot-carrier. Gade, even more than Corrigan, keeps the story going.

I have not yet checked out the special features, but would like to. I think they would greatly enhance my understanding and appreciation for this already pleasantly-surprisingly gem.

Good Film with Bad Title

Author: billcr12 from United States
20 July 2012

This has to be the worst title the producers could possibly have come up with; someone must have lost a bet. It's a shame because it is really good and very few people will ever see it, unless the word of mouth helps, as happened with Boondock Saints. I reluctantly watched that and ended up loving it.

Ken works at an ice cream parlor after being released from a mental hospital. He has nightmares of a hazing type of attack from his high school days. One by one the classmates responsible die horrible deaths. Barry Bostwick is the town sheriff, and he is wise ass who is having a good time with Ken's mother played by Karen Black. She and Bostwick are terrific and sarcastically funny throughout. Ariel Gade is Ken's daughter Amy, and she is an actress to watch out for. The chemistry between her and Kevin Corrigan as Ken, her father, are totally believable. The girl is an absolute natural; never mugging for the camera, as many child actors have a tendency to do.

Ken is an outcast living with his mother and spending his spare time drawing sketches. His daughter finds out that he is her biological father and they have an awkward reunion. This is a murder mystery, a comedy, and a sporadically violent family film, all at the same time. Although a bit confused, the acting is so good, I was able to accept some plot holes along the way. Bostwick and Black are funny as hell, and the young Ariel Gade still manages to steal the picture, her potential is unlimited. Ignore the ridiculous title and trust me; try it, you'll like it.

Much more then I expected

Author: Psy-Ko from United States
16 June 2012

You've got all the elements of a 80's slasher here. Comic geek, bullies, mean mom, quirky sheriff. so that's what I was expecting an average slasher to pass a Saturday afternoon. What I got was so much more! Great writing, great character development and great acting! I'm not big on the trivia of movies/acting so the only person I recognized was Barry Bostwick as the quirky sheriff and he played it brilliantly. I also thought the girl who played Amy was quite good and expect to see her getting more work. At first I wasn't too fond of Ken, the lead character, but as the story went on I got to really like him which I think says great things about both the writing and the guys acting. There is a twist at the end and you kind of know there will be but you just don't know which way it's going to twist. I was happy with the ending though, happy with the whole movie in fact. Only thing I would tell people is don't go into it expecting blood and guts, you're not going to get it. Not sure I'd even label it as horror, more of a thriller and a drama, oh and can't forget the comedy. It all ties together well. One of the best I've seen in awhile!

Not so bad it's good. Only bad in a very good way.

Author: Gustaf from Sweden
11 October 2011

Saw this movie during the Flimmer film-festival i Norrköping, Sweden on the 9th of October 2011.

This movie is about some guy who kills people. There's the main storyline, and it's completely enough for making an intriguing and compelling story.

The movie itself is a perfect blend between a classic B-movie and a block buster movie. The dialogue is a bit cheesy and the special effects simple. However, none of this drags the movie down, instead it adds to the movie, presenting an unique and remarkable experience that is hard to find.

I didn't know any of the actors of this movie before I watched it( well, I've seen Lucy Davis in "The office"). But I must say that all of them did a very good job portraying their characters. Barry Bostwick is incredibly funny as the sheriff, and Kevin Corrigan does a good job playing the slightly disturbed and depressed main character.

But the actor that truly puts on a performance is Ariel Gade. She does a so good job she could be the next Jodie Foster or Dakota Fanning in my opinion (I'm talking about child actors).

This movie is not so bad it's good. It's bad in a good way.

The closest similarity I can find to this movie, is the video-game "Deadly Premonition", which much like this movie, despite technical difficulties manages to tell an amazing and engaging story. Sometimes it's over the top, sometimes it's spot on. In one scene I'm laughing hard, and in another I'm deeply involved concerned about the characters' situation.

The only thing that I would have changed with the movie is the ending, which I thought was a bit abrupt and hastened. Other that that, it's a fun and well done story that has you interested during the whole playtime.

I can recommend this movie to anyone who would fancy some dark comedy, thrilling excitement or just would like something to do on a Friday night. This movie excels in every kind of way, and is well worth a 9/10.

Great Flick

Author: holey-396-677954 from New Zealand
22 June 2012

This Is my first ever review so I hope this makes sense. I watched this last night and found the acting to be brilliant add the black humor and a lead that was hard to read and you will enjoy. I am getting sick of the rampant commercialism we are seeing in the main stream movie genre (or i am getting old) these days its all about special effects. This movie makes you think and gives you a giggle at the same time so is well worth the watch. The story line has been done before but the way this is delivered and the great acting by Kevin Corrigan makes it interesting the whole way through. These sort of movies don't always come down to the budget it always comes down to the cast and this one got it right.

The title isn't necessarily a *spoiler*!

Author: nixskits from Canada
26 July 2011

This is certainly a cult classic in the making! The always resourceful Kevin Corrigan goes from supporting stalwart to a first rate leading man here, in a performance that demands simultaneous charisma, creepiness, vulnerability & menace. His Ken is a man who's been through a personal hell and just wants to be free from his painful past. But the thorns in his paws are not quite gone yet.

Ken's mom Ruth (Karen Black), mom's love interest, the Sheriff (Barry Bostwick, absolutely hilarious), confidant Irv (Leo Fitzpatrick as the loyal best friend) and a BIG surprise, in one of the most winning roles in a long time, Ken's recently discovered daughter Amy (played by the very talented Ariel Gade) make up the pillars of the insular world our main character exists within. His high school days were filled with such trauma that his ability to move ahead now seems permanently stunted. His talent for drawing was and still is a therapy outlet he revels in, but deep down, he yearns for something much more cathartic to happen. Director Jack Perez keeps a deliciously twisted tone throughout the film, making one wonder exactly what will happen next. Things aren't too hard to guess at times, but the flashbacks co-existing with present day events make Ken a lot more sympathetic than hateful.

When a few nasty people from his past start turning up butchered around town (in over the top and very comic book style demises), Ken's got to reevaluate the nature of just how much revenge is warranted for their youthful crimes. Ryan Levin's terrific script balances the black comedy with more sensitive moments. Opening the soul of the lead with possibilities of romance (Lucy Davis, as the first woman he can start fresh with and reach in to repair his shattered self image) and the huge demands of fatherhood (his spunky little girl is already on the cusp of puberty and he's overwhelmed by the stress of how to suddenly make up for the years they lost out on), Corrigan is simply sensational! His light and dark touches are equally interesting and complement the story as it heads to a conclusion that's strangely fitting.

Do yourself a favour and check this little wonder out. Definitely worth watching and I sincerely hope it becomes the genuine hit it deserves to be!

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]