IMDb > Batman: Arkham City (2011) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Batman: Arkham City

Batman: Arkham City (VG) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

WOW!!! best game i have ever played

Author: benjix
19 October 2011

This game is amazing. It has a VERY large atmosphere, and has tons of side missions and game play.

There is plenty to do and tons of new gadgets and gizmo's and lots of new take downs. Tons of new styles of enemy's and as many things to do as you can count.

Get this game, lots of game play. If you get it you will not be sorry you did, lots of riddles and a LOTTTTTT of challenge maps. Now stop looking at this review and go buy it. Please just play it, it has so many creative things. I don't know what else to say other the to have fun with this game and i hope you like it as much as i do

This is What It's Like to be Batman

Author: SylvesterFox007 from United States
5 November 2011

Licensed games, as a general rule, aren't anything to write home about. But video games have been especially cruel to Batman in the past. "Batman: Vengeance" featured frustrating combat laden with clunky animations and vehicles that handled terribly. "Batman Begins" was an all-too linear stealth game that required Batman to take out enemies in the exact manner and order he was intended to,because his Kevlar armor wasn't enough to save him from being killed just by having a gun pointed at him. So, this was what it was like to be Batman?

Then, in 2009, against all odds,Rocksteady released "Arkham Asylum." Instead of being a tie-in to existing movies or comics, it took place in the developers' own unique version of Batman's universe. Turns out to make players feel more like they were in Batman's shoes, it just took a good combination of stealth game play and brute combat, with a healthy dollop of fan service thrown on for good measure. It was, without a doubt, the best Batman gaming experience there was. Until now.

"Batman: Arkham City", blows it completely out of the water. An improvement in every way imaginable, it picks up where the last game left off. A huge section of Gotham City has been walled off and is now patrolled by heavily armed security teams. The city's captured criminal element has been transferred in from the old asylum and Blackgate Prison. Batman, naturally suspicious, finds a way inside to investigate, and he finds a gang war being being waged by some of his most notable arch-enemies.

Those who have played "Arkham Asylum" will be familiar with the basic game play, divided between two main components: free-flow combat and stealth, or "predator", tactics, enabling Batman to take out throngs of thugs head-on and pick out armed enemies from the shadows with equal ease. Free-flow combat is mainly accomplished by alternating between an "attack" and "counter", combined with a direction, to move from on enemy to another, breaking necks and cashing checks (in for upgrades). Fighting also makes use of Batman's "wonderful toys", with different gadgets being mapped to simple button combos. New gadgets and upgrades are collected throughout, providing more variety and a heavier emphasis on Batman's weaponry than in the last game. There are also new types of enemies that must be "stunned" first using specific combos, which keeps fights from being identical button-mashers, but sadly also slows the pace a little.

Predator tactics come into play when Bats enters an area being guarded by armed foes. While Batman has ballistic armor that can be upgraded, for the most part running into the line of an armed baddie's fire leads to a quick death. But the game gives you enough freedom to feel like Batman, hiding in the shadows not out of fear, but in order to strike fear. There is an even larger variety of "takedowns" than in the last game, allowing Batman to take advantage of elements of his environment such as ventilation shafts, gargoyles, and plywood barriers to pick off stragglers and watch their allies grow progressively more terrified.

The biggest improvement between games is the massive open-world that provides the setting for the game. Although some building can only be accessed as the story and your inventory allows, for the most part, Arkham City is your oyster from the moment you get in. Using a combination of gliding, diving, and grappling, you can battle random clusters of thugs for XP, follow up on various side missions as you discover them, or just admire the scenery. Most of the key locations you'd expect in Gotham City can be found walled off in Arkham, and Batman fans will definitely be in awe. I spent the first few hours gliding around the city, listening in on inmate's conversations, and occasionally swooping down to put the fear of God into them. Now THIS is what it's like to be Batman.

While there were references to just about every character in Batman's universe in the previous game, here just about all of them appear. To provide a list is to spoil many of the surprises, but returning enemies include the Joker, voiced in a stand-out performance by Mark Hamill (yes, THAT Mark Hamill.) Since he's announced his retirement from the role, this will probably be your last chance to get goosebumps listening to his pitch-perfect interpretation. Harley Quinn also returns, with a new (and, in my opinion, improved) costume, and also a new voice, with the Batman: TAS "Batgirl" Tara Strong taking over the role. Kevin Conroy also fits nicely back into the role of the titular character, who he voiced in TAS and the previous game. Another great performance comes from Nolan North, who voices my all-time favorite Batman villain, the Penguin. Here reinvented as a racketeer with the hint of a London accent and a cigar and broken glass bottle to replace the old cigarette holder and monocle, respectively, is a character that's still Oswald Cobblepot but is not to be trifled with. Chances are, between the main story line, the Easter eggs scattered throughout the city, and side missions, if you've got favorite Batman characters, they're in this game, and they're done justice.

The storyline is from TAS writer Paul Dinni, and ranks alongside of some of my favorite Batman comics. Like in "Arkham Asylum", fantastic use is made of the characters in the "Game Over" screens, now with a larger cast of enemies to taunt you, your taunter usually being determined by whose henchman defeats you. Unlike "Arkham Asylum", a fantastic game up until its anti-climatic ending, "Arkham City" only ever gets better as you progress through it. The only way this game isn't for you is if you absolutely hate Batman, great game play, and stunning graphics.

Why are you still reading this when you should be playing right now?

The Best Batman Game of All Time

Author: FilmFreak94 from United States
25 October 2011

Batman Arkham City took everything that was great about it's near perfect predecessor and improved it beyond belief. Instead of being confined to a relatively small island you are now in a small area of Gotham City specifically made for the scum of humanity. On the surface there doesn't look like much to do in this small space, but the area is teeming with henchmen from Two Face, Penguin and Joker and they're all going to try and kill you at any chance they get. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Long story short, after the events of Arkham Asylum, Warden Quincy Sharp was named Mayor of Gotham and decided that the old asylum was unfit for prisoners. Thus he created Arkham City, a blocked off piece of North Gotham for Batman's worst foes to thrive. He then placed the mysterious Professor Hugo Strange in charge and now deadly gang wars break out as everyone fights for control of the city. Batman must enter the city and find out Strange's real plan, along with stopping his old foes from killing each other.

This is the basic plot of the story, but there are a number of sidequests you can take throughout the game. From destroying the last Titan drug barrels with Bane, to tracking down victims of Deadshot. The Riddler returns physically in Arkham City and has placed twice as many riddle trophies and puzzles in the area. He has also captured doctors and people who worked in old Arkham. These challenges are deadly and requires a lot more critical thinking then in the last game. With all these sidequests combined with the main story you're looking at many hours of gameplay and with new game plus you can replay the game with all the gadgets from your first game and keep any riddler secrets you've found.

The challenge areas are the same as the first game, but there are a lot more to be played and with all the new combat and silent predator moves in this game you will have a blast taking down nameless thugs with an even greater sense of being Batman. With downloadable characters like Robin and Nightwing you have a lot more reason to play the challenge maps then in the first game.

I could go forever on how awesome this game is. But this is one of those games you need to play to believe. It has everything for long time Batman fans and newcomers. With a great plot with a lot of twists and faster combat this game has exceeded all expectations and is without a doubt one of the best games of the year, if not all time. And I haven't even played as Catwoman yet.

Amazing Game! Best Ever!

Author: DnYu1 from United Kingdom
25 October 2011

If you thought Batman Arkham Asylum was one of the greatest games ever then you are highly mistaken!

This game is very dark and very intense, a lot of the features from the first game that made it so good appear in this game also, plus the new plot line, new twisted characters and intensity make it one of the best games i have ever played!

This game is clearly 10/10! Without a doubt.If you have not played the first one then you do not know what you are missing! You must play it right now!

Thank You.

Believe the hype.

Author: Rockwell_Cronenberg from United States
20 October 2011

Wow. Talk about a game completely living up to expectations. The twists at the end were so intense. I don't know, everything about the game was so perfect for me. The story could have been a little longer probably, but I'm sure it was at least ten hours which for a game like this is very impressive. Plus I didn't do any side stuff, which I'm sure will give me another five or so hours at least. The gameplay was brilliant, kept everything feeling fresh and exciting.

Even the basic combat with thugs never got repetitive (which it did quickly in Asylum), and unlike Asylum, instead of just button-mashing you actually have to use a lot of strategy in even the most basic combat. When surrounded by a group of thugs you have to employ Waynetech and prioritize who to go after, instead of just hopping around like in the first game. You also don't have the easy move of being able to use Detective Mode nonstop, which is a huge step up. There's a lot of thinking and strategy needed for many parts of the game and there were definitely a few moments where I had to stop for a few moments to figure out just what to do.

The detail was out of this world, from the dark and perfectly toned scenery to just the simple things like thugs talking about the villains while you fly overhead. I'm so surprised that a game of this nature was fused with such rich and diverse detail. A lot of people, myself included, were disappointed by the lackluster boss fights in Asylum and to say that they stepped up their game with this one would be to really under appreciate just how much they improved on that front. Every boss fight was fantastic (except for the last one, ironically) and challenging, keeping things fresh and utilizing all of the weapons in your arsenal. These aren't just ordinary boring fights like they were before.

With all of that being said, the highlight of the game is absolutely the story. From the brilliant opening to the haunting final shot, I've rarely been more immersed in a story in a game like this one. The emotions were very high, you felt like real things were at stake here and the twists and revelations in the final act were remarkable. Everything from the confrontation with Strange until the last shot had me on the edge of my seat and my mouth hung open. This story is up there with some of the greatest works to come out of this franchise, as far as I'm concerned. A case of a company truly listening to the complaints on a game and fixing every single thing about it. This is one of the closest encounters I've had to something I would call a perfect game.

Author: Thisguy622 from Australia
5 November 2011

The first time i played Batman Arkham Asylum i could not wait for the sequel. And after playing Batman Arkham City, i can safely say that it is the best superhero game ever. The plot is perfect, the scenery is perfect, the game play is perfect. You could tell that the creators improved on the detective aspect of the game massively. (Meaning that you don't have to spend as much time in detective mode.) The characters are well introduced and every character has a vital part to play in the plot. The voices for the characters were well suited (Mark Hamill giving another astounding performance as the joker.) But i have to say, the thing i loved most about the game was the additional things, the side missions were great and the Riddler trophies, though challenging, were fun to do. I recommend this game to anyone who either enjoys Batman or a quality game.

Batman Arkham City

Author: matchesmalone45 from United States
19 November 2011

The first thing that struck me about Arkham City was the vast detail put into the city. I couldn't help but spin the camera angle around Batman a few times before finally starting out my first mission.This was only a fraction of what took my breath away in this game. You really do feel like you're playing as Batman. Everybody says that, but it's true. Whether its taking on 20 thugs at once in an all-out brawl or picking off armed thugs one at a time, you get that great adrenaline rush that Batman would almost sure have too. The side missions add extra depth and variety. My favorite would probably have to be the Riddler mission, as you pretty have to pretty much play through the whole game to finally take him down. The actual riddles themselves that you have to solve around the city open up these great background stories that explain every last criminal and their stories to you. Aside from the great game-play, the story kept me on the edge too. Will Batman stop Hugo Strange and his plans for Arkham City? I wont tell, but I will say that the ending of the story left me speechless. I highly recommend playing Arkham City. There's a twist around every corner, some great side missions, and the replay value is high. I've replayed it about three times now and have still yet to master it.

My mind was blown

Author: coltsfan18288 from United States
23 October 2011

So I am a huge Batman villain fan. More so than is probably good for my health. So when I saw all the villain trailers that were being released, I got super amp. And once I saw all the perfect scores it was getting, I was even more excited. And did it live up to all the hype? 99.9% yes. The possible only flaw was that the campaign seems a bit too quick (took me around 12 hours to beat, without side missions). Other than that, it's more Batman butt kicking, and mind blowing plot lines. If you thought Inception played mind games, then this will blow you away. Not buying this would be a disservice to yourself. It's that good. And although I called the ending, it's like I said: I'm a freak. I was playing with my friend online when he got to the end, and he was freaking out and not knowing what was happening. It's. That. Big.

Bat wins ever...

Author: mrumais
4 November 2011

If you are a batman fan.... here you are,

you are not disappointed.. There's no need to talk a lot, It's a batman game, and it is great.

It has to be.. It's a 10/10 game ever..

The game is very nice.. In fact...great..

Another great batman product.. This is what the reason why people love batman, because they make it great. If you have not played the first one then you do not know what you are missing! You must play it right now!

Love batman.. ..

Thank You..

A Great Game But Story Mode to short

Author: hawkeye123 from United Kingdom
27 October 2011

Batman Arkham City is a great Game better then Arkham Ayslam much bigger and a lot more villains Joker is again the main Villain Again Voiced again by the Brilliet Mark Hamill the other villains that appear are the Penguin.The Riddler.TwoFace.Poison Ivy.Mr Freeze among others all look good and are voiced well

The Story Mode is Excellent but to short and has a surprise ending but there is plenty more to do besides the story mode you have side Missons you can play 4 Levels as Catwomen Riddler Challages and much more

you start with all the Gadgets you had in Arkham Ayslam and there are a few new Gadgets to get in this game Ice Grenades and Jammer and others

I have to say the Graphics for this game are amazing

i would recommend this to anyone

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]