IMDb > Get the Gringo (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Get the Gringo

Get the Gringo More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The Mel Gibson vehicle we've all been waiting for!

Author: HalloweenShape31 from United States
19 April 2012

With Mel Gibson doing himself no favors in the public media over the last six years, GET THE GRINGO is a much-needed reminder of why we loved him so much for the twenty years prior to his scandalous headlines. While it was greatly refreshing to see Gibson on screen again in EDGE OF DARKNESS and THE BEAVER after an overbearing eight year absence, GET THE GRINGO does the best of capturing everything we truly loved about Gibson's performances: charm, wit, humor, edge. The script by Gibson, director Adrian Grunberg and producer Stacey Persky is an original and tight balance of humor, edge, and danger that can very easily be considered an unofficial sequel to the theatrical cut of Gibson's cult favorite, PAYBACK. While the character of GRINGO's Driver never reveals his actual name, he possesses a lot of the same qualities as PAYBACK's Porter, including a U.S. military tattoo, a chain-smoking habit, sticky fingers, an iron jaw, and a penchant for bloodshed. Grunberg's direction is also solid with an obvious love for Sam Peckinpah paraded throughout.

For those of us who endured so many years of understandable negativity towards Gibson for his personal troubles, GET THE GRINGO is the film we've long awaited. It's truly a shame this film won't be seen wide in the U.S. It would've been a better comeback vehicle than EDGE OF DARKNESS was meant to be. GET THE GRINGO practically screams, "Remember me? I'm still here, and I still got it!"

But if one thing is certain in the age of home entertainment, it is that every good film gets discovered by an audience. Sooner or later...

Mel Gibson does not disappoint!

Author: Dirty_Haraldo_Callahan from Latvia
9 May 2012

Anyone familiar with "Prison Break" (Season 3) will probably find a lot of similarities here, but unlike Michael Scofield - Mel's character didn't take crap from anyone and knew how to have a laugh.

There's also not a lot of cheese in this film. Every scene just keeps the film going, moving forward. No one overacts, no one delivers dumb cliché lines. And it never tries to force you to suspend your disbelief (well, maybe a little bit in the climax of the film) or make fun of your intelligence.

Now, the Kid - he was actually pretty cool in this film. I don't usually like these little, rude bad-asses, but, fortunately, there was never a point in this movie where the kid did something implausible. He knew his place through the entire thing.

The violence was nice, but there wasn't a lot of it. The same thing with action - a car chase, couple of physical interactions, a shootout, a heist and a little more shooting. But overall - it's not an action movie. More like a thriller or a heist movie...

That being said - when stuff happens, it happens. There is blood (a lot of it is CGI, though), drug use, violence against children and women, torture, some swearing and couple of doctors cutting out organs... yeah...

Shaky-cam is totally not a problem. Car chases have some camera trembling, but overall - this movie looks and feels like the majority of 90s action flicks. Steady and solid.

The scope is exactly what you would expect from a $20 million movie, but it never steps into DTV territory. It's also not very long (about 90 minutes), so it goes by rather quick, but it's really fun. Oh and a lot of it is in Spanish. I'd say... good 25%-40% of the dialogue is in Spanish.

But, seriously, I had a great time watching this! And I can't wait to see it again! If we're talking ratings - as a Mel Gibson movie - this is a solid 7/10. But compared to the majority of films coming out these days, it's definitely 8/10.

Go see it when you get a chance!

And that little delinquent too!

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
4 May 2012

It is no secret that the public has lost a lot of respect for Mel Gibson over the years. His hate-filled rants that once scattered the internet like littered candy-wrappers, identifiable aging, and modest releases over the years have proved that he may be wandering around a plain of confusion and uncertainty. It is a shame his new film, Get the Gringo, has gotten such a limited release, playing exclusively on DirecTV before eventually getting a wider VOD and DVD release later this year.

This is by no means a great film, but it holds up a lot better than recent action films boasting a huge actor has the lead (Taken is the prime example here) and packs in half the amount of incredulity as those as well. The story is concise and well-managed, centering around a nameless man (in the credits he's referred to as "Driver") played by Mel Gibson. He is a career criminal, with a vague history, an extensive amount of sarcasm, and a classic form of mystery plagues his character. After being nabbed by the Mexican authorities, he is thrown in a rotten, slimy prison, corrupt and dilapidated, as well as being run by shameless thugs and the occasional prostitute.

At first, Driver takes on the prison lifestyle with an iron fist. He becomes fearless, setting a fire in a market so he can steal a drug dealer's money, and even one of the best scenes in the film involves him knocking a man on a toilet unconscious before stealing his money and weaponry. He then learns that in order to move up on the prison ladder, he can't always be committing thievery and pursing the life of a determined rebel. That's where a nine year old watchmen comes in (Hernandez). As he assists Driver in teaching him the prison life, it isn't long before both of them become mixed up in a whirlwind of the same corruption ruining the prison today.

The cinematography and the overall environment deserves immediate commendable recognition. It makes a seamy place out to be seamy, and doesn't take the route of The Hangover Part II where it transforms a place into something so glum and ugly that it can't be enjoyed. Get the Gringo exists in a dirty, gritty world, and it wants to show it all.

Again, Gibson carries the film, much like he did in Jodie Foster's subpar The Beaver. Gibson resorts back to the sort of grittiness that he erected his odyssey of a career on; a man with no history in a dirty, filthy world where the only role you can play to have respect is "the bad cop." He is wonderful here, and manages to inspire a number of intriguing scenes that rarely become too comical or too unrealistic. There are many shoot-outs, but they are sometimes fun to watch. Even the car chase in the beginning is a riot.

It's a shame that Get the Gringo gets a sour run theatrically, debuting only one night in Austin, and a very secluded run on a Video on Demand service. This film is fun, non-challenging escapism that pleases because of its simplicity and action. After the mild success of Gibson's Edge of Darkness and the very underwhelming The Beaver, studios believe Mel Gibson is poison to the system. Perhaps, but let me remind you guys something; he made The Passion of the Christ - one of the most controversial and daring religious pictures in history. I believe the guy deserves more respect.

Starring: Mel Gibson and Kevin Hernandez. Directed by: Adrian Grunberg.

Sadder but wiser Mel is excellent

Author: jmr7123 from Colorado, United States
9 May 2012

Just finished watching this excellent movie, and I hadn't realized how much I missed Mel Gibs on. Like the man himself, the main character in this film, Driver, is worn and weary, sadder but wiser, and comfortable with the ironies of life. And the world built here, "El Pueblito," based on the actual prison in Tijuana, is real and startling. Portrayal of Mexico is outlandish at the same time it's sympathetic. Not much action, but shoot out scene in middle of movie is worth watching.

I understand this movie is getting no theatrical release in the US, and that's a shame. Just hope word of mouth will get around about this great movie. It's time to rehabilitate Mel Gibson.

Gibson remains the best in his work...

Author: paulinakonopka from United Kingdom
13 May 2012

I watched it, I loved it, it's brilliant! I will watch it again and again and again... I couldn't give a s**t about Mel's personal life and the crazy media surrounding it because quite frankly the man is phenomenal in his WORK, isn't this what we should really care about? and since when does his personal life HURT people in any way? Surely people have said bad things when no one is around, ey? exactly.

This was a bad-ass film, I watched it because I was curious and because of Mel Gibson, as I am an all time fan, and I have to say from screenplay to a great storyline to the fantastic directing to all the actors - main and supporting - and to the film all together, I am happy to have watched it and enjoyed it. Hollywood...this is how it's DONE.

Mel, you are legendary. Live long, live strong.

what a surprisingly wonderful movie!!

Author: rightwingisevil from United States
10 May 2012

i didn't expect this movie being so good, but it's turned out to be not just good but great! Mel Gibson did an outrageously great performance in this movie. an ingenious screenplay with very interesting storyline, not even one second not suspenseful. the directing is way too smooth, the editing, all the Mexican supporting actors, every one of them did such great seamless job like one of the colorful thread being woven so expertly into a wonderful carpet with beautiful and complicated patterns. salute to the director, the three screenplay writers (one of them is Mr. Gibson). this is a very difficult film to shoot but just, again, seamlessly fabricated into a great one. this is a rare film combined with nervous breaking scenarios and plots but at the same time, never forgot to deliver a subtle sense of humor. this is one of the best movies I've ever seen and i believe that most viewers who watched it would agree with me totally. go watch it, guys. I'd also like to congrats Mr. Gibson that he never did anything plastic, not even Botox injections on his old face, yet every wrinkle, every line only makes him an even greater performer. what a treat! thank you, Mr. Gibson, stay cool.

Mel Gibson is back!!!!!!!!!!.....seriously back...

Author: Jithin Jo Francis from India
11 May 2012

While watching this movie i was wondering why this movie was provided on a VOD service.....with such awesome stunts ,a strong script and brilliant acting this movie deserved a wide release .I was never a big Gibson fan but now i think i like his style of action thrillers never meant to say that i didn't like lethal weapon series but this in a way is more simplistic and tough.

This movie is seriously meant for fans of tough action movies and is not for people looking out for a highly intelligent action movie.This is a smartly and slickly written piece of work which definitely has its ups and downs.The story is nothing new, first half hour is Mel settling into prison life ,but when the action begins it's a very brutal affair.

The ups of the movie include the sublimely realistic acting of all the lead actors with Mel Gibson leading from the front,a tightly and smartly written screenplay(courtesy Gibson)and a smart yet simplistic approach from the director.

The downsides include the quality of shots taken which i think they should have taken with a much higher budget in hand and also a pretty unimpressive trailer. If only it had been marketed well and had a wide release this movie would have hit bulls eye.

All in all this movie is a Mel Gibson show which is highly gripping,thrilling and which I found is all the more absurdly entertaining.

Thanks to all the folks who read the review.CHEEEERSSS........!!!

Payback Mel Mixes it up in Mexico, Muy Bien

Author: yogi_3333 from United States
15 April 2012

Caught this movie at the cinema in Dubai (so parts may have been edited). Quite entertaining, Gibson in the Payback-type character mode (actually I think it is the same guy), kind of the anti-hero who you nevertheless root for given the corrupt scum around him. The movie is often laugh out loud funny - I know that because I was the only one laughing - but that may be you know, I was probably the only American, some things may have gone too fast for people.

The plot is a bit silly, but great characters, some memorable scenes, really unexpected locations and scenery, the production design was quite extraordinary, well-paced, good action sequences...

Overall, pretty good value for 30 dirhams. Basically, if you liked Payback, this is your movie.

Mel Gibson is back with a bang!

Author: GaneshKSalian from Bahrain
24 April 2012

Get The Gringo(How I Spent My Summer Vacation) directed by Adrian Grunberg is one of the finest movies to come out in the mid-2012 and one of the best Mel Gibson movies.

The movie is scheduled to release on 1st May 2012 in the U.S.A,but luckily in the Middle East it released a few weeks back and I was glad to watch it.

Although the movie may be a bit similar to Mel Gibson's Payback,but still Get The Gringo is fresh and entertaining.

Story:- A career criminal (Mel Gibson) nabbed by Mexican authorities is placed in a tough prison where he learns to survive with the help of a 9-year-old boy (Kevin Hernandez).

Mel Gibson delivers one of the best performances ever.

Get The Gringo is a stylish move with loads of action scenes,dark,gritty,humorous,violent and above all entertaining.

The director Adiran Grunberg does an excellent job.

All in all,Get The Gringo(How I spent my Summer Vacation) is a not only a must-watch for Mel Gibson fans but also for those who are not because it is one of the best movies to come out in the mid-2012.I am giving a nine on ten for Get The Gringo.Strongly Recommended!

Great film - worth watching

Author: hazel-storr from United Kingdom
11 May 2012

Fast moving, well paced and well constructed story, with excellent characterisation and some humorous moments to leaven the dark plot.

Mel Gibson does a really fine job in the lead role, and is utterly believable as a tough, clever crook who's hard heart is moved by the plight of a mother and child threatened by powerful foes. Really great too to see the female lead played by someone who looks like a normal person (rather than some ridiculous super-model). It helps the female viewer empathise with the character so much more.

The film is quite violent, though - be prepared. I spent part of the film with my hand over my eyes, but my bloodthirsty partner loved it.

Definitely worth paying to see this at the cinema - you won't be disappointed.

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]