IMDb > The Voices (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Voices

The Voices More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A very dark film with plenty of hilarious comedy

Author: stephendaxter
7 February 2015

The Voices is a dark comedy starring Ryan Reynolds who begins to hear voices through both his cat and dog who try to persuade him to do certain good or not so good things. I really didn't know what to expect before seeing this film but boy was i pleasantly surprised by what i saw. One thing this film does really well is that when it turns dark, it turns really dark really fast and then it somehow manages to instantly lighten the mood and make you laugh. The comedic elements in this film worked really well and got me to laugh pretty much every time and for a film that gets so dark and depressing at multiple times it is a very good accomplishment.

Ryan Reynolds was incredible in this movie, he absolutely nailed his role of a person who is very damaged but also oblivious to what he is doing and has done. It was one of his best performances and was just amazing on screen, which makes me more excited to see his future films. The supporting cast was very good also, especially Anna Kendrick, she also put in an awesome performance and cant wait to see more from her. The overall plot was very well written, there were so many hilarious twists and turns that made this film very unpredictable and a fun experience. In the end i absolutely loved this film, not only did it provide a very dark story it also provided plenty of moments to laugh at and had a very pleasant blend of the two, making this film my favourite of 2015 so far. - 8.6

The cat made me write this review

Author: scurvytoon from United Kingdom
9 February 2015

I've always liked Ryan Reynolds starting with his early Canadian work but even having read the tag line, never in a million years did I see this one coming. What a wonderful surprise.

The Voices is a brilliant film about schizophrenia that balances horror and comedy with such aplomb you forget that what's happening on the screen isn't exactly healthy or good. Gemma Arterton joins Mr Whiskers and Bosco in some of the most entertaining internal conflicts to be shown on screen in years. Mr Whiskers hilariously confirms our deepest and darkest fears about cats while Bosco is the voice of reason. Let's be clear about this, Jerry is deeply disturbed and he needs help but that doesn't keep you from being sucked into his strange world. His life in the real world at the bathtub factory hides a whole lot of crazy going on in his head. Jerry at his core is happy there and he likes his co workers, too bad about the little accident that starts it all going down hill.

If you like your comedy strange, you too will be a fan of this film. From the basic premise of talking animals to the happy joy joy feeling Jerry gets when his "problems" seem to go away, all the way to the end you will be smiling at how good the story is. And what an end, you know it's going there and you know it's all for the best, he's after all a good guy and does the only thing he can. His reward? well you have to watch all the way to the end. But I do promise you this, you'll be wanting to dance to very possibly the most uplifting song since somebody serenaded a man eating plant.

Don't let this one pass you by.

Darkly hilarious

Author: movie-op
29 November 2014

Everyone's favorite director/graphic novelist Marjane Satrapi worked from someone else's material for the first time in The Voices, a dark, weirdly funny story that will appeal to those who enjoyed 2012's genre-bending Cabin in the Woods.

Ryan Reynolds stars as Jerry, a sweet but troubled man who has conversations with his cat Mr. Whiskers, his dog Bosco, and the human heads he keeps stored in the fridge. Much credit has to go to screenwriter Michael R. Perry, who manages to make Jerry likable despite his homicidal streak. With much of the story being filtered through Jerry's skewed perception, Satrapi is able to play with the visuals, jumping between what Jerry sees and the reality of his situation to hilarious effect.

This is an empathetic film, but first and foremost it's insanely funny. My major take-away from it: never trust Mr. Whiskers.

Ryan Reynolds is a Norman Bates for the 21st century

Author: brchthethird from United States
5 March 2015

For some reason Ryan Reynolds hasn't really taken off as a movie star, but I can't really see why. He has the good looks and he has a likable personality. Maybe it has to do with GREEN LANTERN? (not the best movie, but I still enjoyed it). Well, this time teamed up with director Marjane Satrapi (PERSEPOLIS) in her English-language debut, Ryan Reynolds delivers what is probably the best performance of his career. He plays Jerry, a rather unassuming (but subtly creepy) guy who works at a faucet and fixture warehouse in a small town. Everything seems alright on the surface, but deep inside Jerry has some problems. Aside from a troubled childhood, he also hears voices inside his head, and these voices tell him to do things...bad things. I'll just say that for those looking for a lighthearted comedy, this isn't it. THE VOICES goes to some pretty dark places, but manages to balance the tone fairly evenly between comedy and shock, of which there is plenty. But most importantly, Jerry is a guy you actually care about. Despite his...issues, he really wants to do the right thing and live a normal life. Too bad that his cat Mr. Whiskers is more influential than his goodhearted dog Bosco. Across the board, all of the performances were excellent. You have Anna Kendrick and Gemma Arterton who play a couple of Jerry's coworkers, and Jacki Weaver plays his court-appointed psychiatrist. They could have been developed a little more, but this is mostly Ryan Reynold's show and boy does he deliver! From a technical standpoint, I thought the cinematography and production design lent a sort of fairy-tale quality to the film, and the color scheme which had a lot of pinks and oranges provided a nice contrast with dark subject material. As far as the gory stuff is concerned, they don't show a whole lot, instead opting for some pretty gruesome sound design. Often the power of suggestion is more effective than actually showing violent acts. And, in this case, it actually works in the film's favor because Jerry can remain just as likable when you don't actually see him kill people most of the time. If there's any weaknesses to the film, it's that it doesn't really try anything new or revolutionary in its approach to the whole "loveable serial killer" thing. Almost nothing that happens in this movie is unpredictable in some way, with one big exception which I'll leave for you to experience on your own should you choose to watch this. Overall I enjoyed this a lot, mainly because I'm drawn to oddball films like this, but also because I haven't seen Ryan Reynolds this good in, well, forever. For lovers of dark comedies, I'd say THE VOICES is a must-see.

An empathetic story about schizophrenia

Author: cfish-4 from United States
6 February 2015

Of all the psych thrillers I watch, this movie is the most empathetic look. It tells us how far we have come to demystify mental illness.

The protagonist Jerry is schizophrenic and hallucinating, but as least he's not a paranoid (e.g. twelve monkeys) And he's actually somewhat aware that he hallucinates. And we see the story through Jerry's narrative. We could see why he didn't want to take his medications. We learned about the traumatic events that brought Jerry the conclusion that he must kill. We learn about his version of love. The story takes the audience through an empathetic journal within his mind.

The darkness of the mind often bring out sick sense of humor as a coping mechanism. Comedians are some of the darkest people out there. I don't think I laughed much watching this movie, but I feel the sadness of understanding Jerry's hopeless being.

I have to agree with other reviewers that the trailer could be misleading because it doesn't give an inkling about how dark the story is. But I think it's a good story nonetheless. It explains how the mentally ill could see and understand the world different from the healthy. Death, for example, is understood very differently from Jerry's perspective. To him, death means love. We could how he came to this conclusion from his trauma.

Some reviewers balk at the poor logic - to me, they are the lucky people who have never experienced serious mental illness. Good for them. To those other people with more openness and empathy, I hope the story tells them that the logical thing to do depends on the context of one's understanding of the world.

It's a sad story of hopelessness, but in a way, also makes me feel empathy, love and warmth for the protagonist.

I can hear them too

Author: kosmasp
31 December 2014

Well only those in the movie that is of course. Not reading about them or the movie as is my usual procedure, for better or worse, before watching a movie, proved good for this one. To say this was a surprise would be an understatement, even though we got told that the movie was received very well in other cities where the Festival went before coming to our town. A promise kept in that case.

We have a weird sense of humor and it's really dark. You might not like that sort of "comedy", but if you do, you will cherish and love this. There is no denying that this is unique and the character (our main protagonist), is somewhat likable ... which is key to the movie. But even if you don't like him (ever/from the start), the movie offers a lot for you to enjoy

One of the most warped dark comedies I've seen

Author: bbickley13-921-58664
8 February 2015

Ryan Reynolds plays a man who has the tendencies of a serial killer, but is trying to resist the urge, but looses it when his work crush Fiona, played by Gemma Arterton, stands him up sending him down that path.

It's a black comedy of the darkest kind as we get to see the inside of a mad man's head and it's pretty disturbing.

It's Pretty funny as well. Ryan Reynolds hears voices in his head which he projects through his Cat and Dog. It's a pretty sick story, made sicker by how colorful the whole film is. It almost feels like a Broadway musical without any music.

Reynolds did a great job of playing a psychopath. His comedic timing worked well in this Dark comedy. his supporting cast of Arterton, Anna Kendrick and Jaki Weaver were great as well.

I recommend seeing it. it's laugh out loud funny.

"A dark comedy?"

Author: kirkdort
9 February 2015

Dark comedy is not an easy genre but it seems they did a good job with this movie.

The plot was also awesome, the visuals are beautiful to look at and there seems to be a lot of attention paid to detail. One aspect that I really loved is that almost the entire movie is seen from Jerry's perspective. When he takes pills (to control his delusions), we see the ugly and sad state of his life. When he goes off his meds and starts getting crazier, everything looks chipper and upbeat.

Good thing is they can do a mini series and i am sure it will be very good with this plot and the cast.

The bad thing is they couldn't fill the movie with enough emotions and they left it skin-deep.

I wish they will make a mini series with this, the plot was seriously good it can't be a waste.

I liked it.

Author: sforrester-3 from United Kingdom
5 May 2015

I wasn't expecting a great deal from this but was pleasantly surprised. I do like Ryan Reynolds and I think he played this perfectly, giving the slightly comedic element whilst still portraying someone suffering from extreme mental health problems. Showing us the difference between the medicated and unmedicated character was well done and although there were one or two points I would question, overall the balance was handled well. I liked that the character had a well thought out back story and his desire to be "normal" as well as the torture that he couldn't be really came across. I would give this one a go if you enjoy quirky films with a bit of an edge.

An underrated film with a strong performance from Reynolds.

Author: Savvyclk from United Kingdom
6 December 2015

A truly underrated film. It has a brilliant performance from Ryan Reynolds, in a role that is pretty unusual for him, and allows him to get out of his typical action stereotype, as he really is a great comedic and dramatic actor, when paired with the right script.

A curiously sinister yet funny tone that simultaneously makes you want to laugh and throw up, the film is a dark comedy- with emphasis on the DARK- and may not be suited to everyone's tastes, admittedly. It has moments where the gore can be quite, well, gory, and certainly it touches on mental illness in a way that may make some people uncomfortable. However, in my view, the film never makes fun of Jerry, our protagonist. In Reynolds' words, he is "a serial killer with a heart of gold", and he still remains a likable character that you root for, even to the end.

The film beholds beautiful visuals with great use of colours and very creative ways of showing how Jerry's mind works. I honestly loved it, and recommend it!

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]