IMDb > "Teen Wolf" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Teen Wolf"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Teen Wolf" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Pleasantly Surprised

Author: stacie-williams
22 June 2011

Like another reviewer has stated, when I first saw the trailer for Teen Wolf, I was totally uninterested. The only reason I watched the first episode was because it came on directly after the MTV movie awards and there was nothing else on TV. I was actually surprised by how good it was. The acting was good, the special effects weren't too cheesy, and there is something dark and edgy about it. I admit some parts of the plot are predictable, but then again, there are some things that flat out surprised me. The actor who plays Stiles is fantastic, and I think he is a big part of why I like the show. Also, Derek Hale's character isn't too bad on the eyes, either.

After all this talk about how this is a Twilight rip-off online, I have to say that I think it's unfair to compare this to Twilight. Let's be real, Twilight has horrible acting, and the acting in Teen Wolf is actually decent. And the plot is completely different in my opinion. In Twilight, the story surrounds Edward and Bella's relationship; In Teen Wolf, I think the story is more about Scott's transformation into being a werewolf and the challenges it brings him. Yes, Allison (his love interest) is a part of those challenges, but the story does NOT revolve around their relationship.

This show has a TON of potential, and I could definitely see them going above and beyond what they are doing now. But I am entertained for now and I will continue to watch the season until the end.

What!? I'm Shocked! MTV... Has A Solid TV Series?

Author: Tristan Phoenix from Canada
8 July 2011

--MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS--

The advertisements of Teen Wolf aired on MTV, or from my location, MuchMusic and I was skeptical of the show, thinking it was slated to be another Twilight. I am no fan of that film franchise that everyone seems to overrate, thus, I thought it would not appeal to me and grew annoyed with MTV about to feature another lackluster show, because the network doesn't have much interesting to offer in my opinion.

So one night, I decided to give the series a look while on the web, running behind about 4 or 5 episodes and after watching and catching up on all of them, to my dismay, I was hooked on this series! Now, I anticipate every episode that gets aired and immensely enjoy all of them, something I never thought was possible with any MTV program. I have to commend MTV on creating a series that makes me feel upset if I happen to miss it.

The show is loosely based on the 1985 comedy-drama film, Teen Wolf, where a young teen, wanting to be more than an average kid, has to cope with bearing the heredity of werewolf genes that derived from his father, and with the extraordinary abilities that accompany his life as a werewolf, makes him popular at school. I haven't watched the film factually, I only actually managed to seek out the trailer, and it looked pretty cheesy to me anyway so I couldn't care less about it or if the series followed its plot and characteristics bit for bit.

MTV's Teen Wolf surely has a darker, suspenseful and edgier premise, and being an avid horror fan, is the reason why I really dig this show. One recurring factor about this show is that it has a great, well-balanced amount of horror, suspense and comedy. It maintains an fun thrill ride and by every commercial and by every end of an episode, there is always an event building up. A lot of potential is definitely going for the series.

This show is about a teenage social outcast at Beacon Hills High School, and a lacrosse player at the school that spends more time on the bench than playing. One night, he is bitten in the middle of the woods by a werewolf while in search of a dead body he hears about. After discovering his unwanted inner werewolf, and the remarkable abilities he gains from it that help his normal life out, he is forced to balance two lives (hiding the werewolf one) and protect those meaningful to him.

Tyler Posey plays the aforementioned character known as Scott McCall and does a pretty good job acting the role. He has quite the charm in his on-screen presence and has nice chemistry with Crystal Reed, who plays his high school dream girl, Allison Argent. Dylan O'Brien is his genuine best friend on the show playing Stiles Stilinski, and by far, he signed up for a very colorful character that contributes so heavily. Stiles is practically the comic relief guy, who is there to help Scott keep himself collected from harming people during periods of werewolf rage. He's nerdy and suffers from ADD, but that doesn't stop him from being witty, intelligent and sarcastic which leads to some hilarious moments that Dylan executes splendidly. His lines and delivery are certainly top notch. With certainty, Stiles is my favorite character in the show.

Tyler Hoechlin is Derek Hale, a survivor of a fire that took out his family, is a mysterious werewolf in town seeking out his sister, Laura and allies and mentors Scott to help him master and control his werewolf abilities. A decent character so far in the show, the role is acted fairly. You also got Holland Roden as Lydia Martin, the mean-girl type and Jackson Whittemore, the lacrosse team captain played by Colton Haynes, both roles of which are being played pretty good.

Speaking from a post-teen perspective, Teen Wolf is a superb supernatural teenage series right now on cable television. I have to compliment Jeff Davis on this project as well as Russell Mulcahy, who added the horror element. It brings me back to the days of enjoying shows like Big Wolf on Campus, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. My only pet peeve is how there is only 12 episodes in the first season, I mean in my opinion, seasons should have at least 20 or more episodes.

Anyway, 8/10 from me for one of my new favorite TV shows.

Brilliant

Author: kattalakisgirl from United States
28 June 2011

First time I saw the commercial to this show, I was really disappointed. Teen Wolf should remain in the 80's where it belongs. Why? Well... it's 80's cheesy to me, but I still love the film. I really thought this was going to be some cheesy rip off... oh how wrong I was. I LOVE THIS SHOW! It's about time that werewolves get the spotlight. No more Twilight glittery vampires that look constipated or stalk you while you sleep. No cheesy vampire brother love triangle with a girl that looks like a girl from their past that happened to change them into vamps. Don't get me wrong. I love vampires but werewolves are hard to make appealing because they are cursed with a curse that brings natural beast out of them.

It's not cheesy, it's well acted, great looking.. mmm werewolves (Derek.. my baby!), and the story is very unique. The more and more it goes on, the more I want. I feel so disappointed when each episode ends and I happen to scream at my TV because the credits roll and I want more.

There are a lot of werewolf shows that completely go dead because of lack of interest. Like for example 'Wolf Lake', 'Big wolf on campus' and I'm sure there are more, but I forgot them.

I want this show to prosper and show that werewolves can be sexy too.

NOT a Twilight copy, an interesting show

Author: brandonm-9 from United States
29 June 2011

So I heard about this show called Teen Wolf. My friends, both males and females, told me about it and said i should check it out. My first though was "Oh geeze, not another cheesy, twilight tween flick.." So I decided to check it out anyways. After watching it, I was quite surprised and much more impressed than what I expected it to be. This is NOTHING like twilight. Sure, it contains some of the clichés Twilight contains, but other than that there is no correlation and A LOT of television shows have clichés like the ones in this show. It also has an interesting story line that is actually pretty good. Although this show is actually quite good, it has its flaws. The acting at some times is forced, but for the most part it is good. The special effects are also lacking, but many good shows also lack this aspect and are still very successful (such as NCIS). I want to point out that I am in fact MALE and not female so this review is from the point of view of an average guy, not some girl who drools over these types of shows. In fact, this is actually one of the first that I am interested in. If this keeps up the pace and doesn't turn into a cliché-fest, this show could be very successful. Although at the time I'm writing this there are only five episodes, it is nonetheless an interesting and thrilling show that everyone should check out.

What Twilight is ashamed to be, FUN!

Author: newhomosuperior from Greece
30 July 2011

When I started watching the first episode, I didn't expect anything, cause I didn't know the actors nor what the story was going to be. At the end I realized it was quick, it had funny dialogues, it wasn't not pretentious and it was absolutely FUN! It's what was made to be! While Twilight is boring to death since it's kind of "ashamed" for dealing with Vampires and the fantasy world, by creating a non sense story as a fake background to hold the pretentious characters and to make it look serious, Teen Wolf is what Twilight fails to be, FUN! The character of Stiles is really funny and Dylan O'Brien I think delivered that role great. Tyler Posey is exactly was the people behind casting had in mind for Teen Wolf. The rest of the cast fulfills the whole team successfully.

Enjoy the show ;)

Another Surprisingly Addictive Series

Author: aslankan4 from United States
19 November 2012

Don't judge this series from the title. Please simply don't. There are various potential open to further interpretation and this piece is fantastically fun! I think the producers should seriously think about updating the "name" though. Now Watch and Love!!

1. The story line is pretty much satisfying in the first season. And definitely improves in the second. Great potential awaits.

2. Amazing actors/actresses are discovered. Especially Dylan O'Brien (Stiles). He is awesome. Both Tyler s (Derek and Scott) are good including the rest of the folks.

3. The tension and curiosity manipulations and surprise effects works wonderfully.

4. Characters do develop through the second season. They become more appealing and sincere.

5. Writers do not bore people with unnecessarily kept secrets (like Merlin who hides his ID for 5 seasons from Arthur... *sigh*)

6. Most importantly, this show makes you want to be a part of it. A part of that world, their world. This is important.

Are you still here??? Go and start watching.

Pretty good . . . so far, can't wait for more!

Author: lestatlove19 from United States
14 June 2011

OK. I just started watching this show, and I love it! Some people here might have said it's similar to the "Twilight" franchise, but it's only because a teen boy gets bit by a supernatural entity (in this case, a werewolf), plus he is captivated by the new girl at school, but that is where the similarities between the two end. So don't attempt to compare them. I'm not, just simply giving my opinion. Teen Wolf is a really suspense filled show dealing with a creature that has been told about in legend and folklore for centuries-the werewolf. Although I prefer vampires, especially Anne Rice types, over werewolves, I must say . . . Teen Wolf gets my thumbs up! The actors are doing well so far, especially the ones playing Scott, Allison, & Derek. Give this show a good chance, please :)

Amazing, Don't be so Critical!

Author: loveanimalseva from Australia
1 July 2011

Okay, when i first saw this preview, i thought oh no ! not another lame MTV show! The trailer did not give this show its credit. I decided to watch the first episode , just to see what it was like. And I tell you what. Its fantastic. The actors have true talent for their age. Many people think this is a lame "Twilight" Copycat show, It definitely is not. It doesn't even have vampires in it . Plus the storyline is actually based on the person with the supernatural ability, and his day to day struggles, of adjusting with his new ability of being a werewolf. It shows some actual storyline. Other than Twilight. The Plot is better than i expected. The storyline for each episode is well suited, ( the writer and producer are doing a good job of not rushing the storyline) Plus the swoon- worthy guys . (Derek and Jackson) sorry not a big fan of Scott! But to tell you the truth I am disgusted at how people are rating this show. Its unfair. Its only into its 5th episode, (the show is still explaining itself) . The highly commend Vampire Diaries, started out pretty mediocre if you ask me. So please guys give this a chance . Im sure we haven't seen the best of Teen Wolf for ages. I am so excited each week to see every episode.

9/10 And trust me im harssh. I just really liked something about this show, i had more to back up my view. Its just im really tired after watching the 5 episodes of Teen Wolf again and again. :P

lots of potential

Author: leslea_kate from Canada
6 June 2011

If you view this series as directly related to the 1985 movie, you WILL be disappointed. But if you view it as "loosely inspired by", and as a horror series where the drama is pretty significant, and the humour is more a side bit, and it's easy to see that this series has some impressive potential.

This is NOT your daddy's Teen Wolf.

If you're a fan of a solid story, fairly decent acting and visual/special effects that are not for those with a weak stomach, then this is well worth checking out. Give it a few episodes to see how well it goes. You might be pleasantly surprised.

L

A Little Bit of Everything

Author: ilovespongebobs from United States
29 June 2011

When I first saw the advertisements, all that was going through my head was "Oh god. Another supernatural show!"

I am a mega fan of the supernatural genre like, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood, Twilight, Supernatural, etc. so I was a bit worried about having enough time to add another one to my list but after watching Teen Wolf, I didn't care about watching all the other shows. The show's quality was a pleasant surprise.

Teen Wolf did not incorporate supernatural only. Finding the Alpha who bit Scott added mystery, Allison's relationship with Scott added romance (but not so much that men would change the channel), and Stiles, who is my biggest reason to not miss it every Monday, gives the show a very comedic turn and Dylan O'Brien plays him beautifully. So anyone who likes any of those genres would like this program. It really has something for everyone.

Teen Wolf is definitely a show that I am going continue watching because it really is exceptional.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]