IMDb > "The Good Guys" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Good Guys"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Good Guys" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Good old fashioned dysfunctional buddy cops

Author: mykinney from United States
23 May 2010

I was not expecting this show to be anything but a brief failure. I mean, the premise of this show is nothing we have not seen a million time before. But the characters, especially Bradley Witford, make this show something worth watching Based on the pilot, I was pleasantly surprised. The ying/yang relationship between the barely recognizable Bradley Witford reigns supreme in his role as the washed up, alcoholic but lovable partner against Colin Hanks' stuffed shirt, by the book, obnoxious intellectual role. There is action, comedy and even the bad guys are hard to dislike, their roles being deliberately over the top. In fact, this show moves from one cliché to another but I didn't seem to mind. You expect a wink from them at any moment. I hope they can keep this up and this was not just an anomaly.

Don't think too hard and you'll love this show

Author: BigBish1966 from United States
7 June 2010

If you're an overly analytical crime drama aficionado, you won't like The Good Guys. Me, I love it. It takes so many genres, mashes them together and it works like a charm - Love the Stephen J Cannell all action no plot series of the 80's? its here. Like procedural crime drama?its here. Like tongue in cheek comedy? Its here. Like Magnum's cheesy mustache, Matt Houston, pleather jackets? Its here. Matt Nix has a winner here. Its no typical crime drama, buddy cop adventure. Its a hoot and I hope it sticks around. The cast of characters is strong, plenty of action, lots of laughs and it just doesn't take itself too seriously. You want blue light CSI special effects and Law & Order procedural drama, go watch them. You want simple action, gunfights, car chases and likable characters, watch The Good Guys.

The Good Guys are Great Guys!

Author: Jacob Stephens from United States
19 May 2010

Finally, a new show worth watching, Colin Hanks is (Jack) a younger cop looking to further his career who is a by the book cop and Bradley Whitford is (Dan) a veteran, and a wild card with a love of women, and of course a drinking problem. This show is great it reminds me of the classic buddy cop comedies which I believe is what the creator was going for considering this was suppose to be a movie written 10 years ago. It's got action and comedy, and great acting. If you're tired of CSI, NCIS and all the other serious crime cop shows then check this out, I promise you won't be disappointed! FOX has finally pulled of a great cop show, there only other claim to fame series now are "Glee" and "Family Guy", hopefully this will be another.

Amazing action filled with laughter?

Author: potusin2021 from United States
28 June 2010

Finally a cop show I can sink my teeth into!!! Bradley Whitford has finally found his niche.. again! After the West Wing I thought it was over for Brad, but as Detective Dan Stark it's pure comedy gold. Conlin Hanks is genius as the by the books Detective Jack Bailey. This show is great for those who enjoy simple plot lines and witty comedy. Be prepared to have to follow the time jumps but it's worth it! The writing on this show is truly amazing, though I am afraid the premise will get old quickly. I would recommend this show for older views! If you don't enjoy humor such as the Princess Bride then you probably won't enjoy the comedy found in this show. I've been trying to find a great show to watch during the summer and finally it's here! You'll fall in love with The Good Guys! Let's go bust some punks!

Excellent Potential

Author: Elizabeth Rose from North Dakota, USA
23 May 2010

Based on this program's pilot episode, I will plan to keep tuning in to see if an already strong ensemble continues to gel and the convoluted comic antics continue to make me laugh out loud. *Burn Notice* creator Matt Nix and company have managed to pull off the parody of the buddy cop show without making the characters seem idiotic or the crimes they find themselves in the middle of seem irrelevant. Good plotting, good narrative, good characters. It's the Burn Notice formula (with a less driven Michael-like character, an even funnier Sam stand-in, and a Fiona-like foil in the guise of the boss) applied to the Dallas Police Department (which is, in itself, a nice change of locale and a potential mine of comic gold). This has the potential to be one of the great buddy cop movies (48 HRS, Beverly Hills Cop, Lethal Weapon, etc.) transferred to the small screen and made to fit just right. It is a pilot, so it's potential could either fizzle or be fulfilled, but as a stand-alone program, I feel it deserves 8/10, which means it's an excellent pilot. Once the series hits the streets, I'll adjust my rating upward or downward accordingly.

Funny

Author: trippind from United States
19 June 2010

The Good Guys is a really easy, enjoyable show to watch that doesn't take itself too seriously. It's not your typical cop show. While there are plenty of explosions and shooting there are more than enough laughs. If you take the show too seriously some of the lines will rub you the wrong way, but taken the way the show is meant to be watched they are hilarious. All characters, even the bad guys, have slight comedic idiosyncrasies about them that isn't over the top. It's also nice to see a cop show that doesn't have to take place in New York/Los Angele/Miami.

Dan Stark is going to be a great character. Bradley Whitford's portrayal of him makes me laugh out loud. I hope its given a chance to grow and attract an audience.

It only gets better

Author: steeped from Canada
15 June 2010

I didn't like the first episode of The Good Guys and I wanted to give up on the show, but something about the characters and the pace made me give the show one more chance - and I'm glad I did.

I think you have to be in a certain mood to enjoy this show. After a long day at work, sitting on the couch and not wanting to think ruined the first episode for me because there is a lot to the plot (there are bad guys who then meet worst bad guys who decide to duke it out and the cops find themselves in the middle), and the comedy could be subtle - so when you listen and pay attention the show is a lot better.

If you didn't like an episode, try watching another when you have a lot less on your plate to deal with.

Better than so many other shows

Author: erin-ochoa from Canada
31 May 2010

Yes, this show shows promise, which means it will be off the air in a week. Still, Malcolm in the Middle lasted for a while, and this show really reminds me of that show, but with cops and shooting. First, wow does Colin Hanks look, speak, talk and act like Tom Hanks. So if you're not into Tom Hanks you probably won't be into this show. Second, for a while I thought the direction was a little too frenetic and Tarantino-like, but in a bad way. As if there was a good way. But eventually the captions, cutting and the non linear time lines stuff grew on me, like a fungus. Last, "Good Cop, Sick Cop"? That was funny, yes it was also stupid, but it's a treat to see Bradley Whitford act like a moron after so many straight roles. I'll watch this again.

Not your highest class entertainment

Author: skoyles from Calgary AB Canada
23 July 2010

My wife summed it up best when she said, between guffaws,"I am embarrassed to admit that I'm laughing!" And laugh we do. The flashback schtick was off-putting for the first ten minutes and then became just one more hilarious aspect of "The Good Guys". Bradley Whitford is even more irritating than he was in "The West Wing" but now he is purposefully comical. Colin Hanks is even funnier: he is so completely straight, so intentionally naive, so dull, so gormless that he is even more laughable than Whitford's overacting, if that be possible. Of course it is an odd buddy cliché but it works so very well! Straight Arrow and a time-challenged refugee from the '70s or '80s, complete with a Magnum PI moustache. Diana Maria Riva is strong as the poor boss out of her depth dealing with the madness of our oddball "heroes". It certainly helps that Jenny Wade is so sweetly pretty that I had better not complete this sentence as my wife is sitting here. If you can forgive yourself a guilty pleasure, laughing at something this preposterously silly, give yourself a treat and watch "The Good Guys". Just don't tell anyone if you want to keep your reputation intact.

A show that's just plain fun!

Author: mrsjones012
18 June 2010

As other reviewers have stated; this is a classic buddy cop show. It's funny and well executed. Don't over think the irreverent subject matter and you will have a good time. Bradley Whitford plays "bad" cop Dan Stark so well he makes you want to smack him. Stark is sexist, stubborn, arrogant and of course, clueless. Colin Hanks character, Jack Bailey, just needs a hug. Bailey attempts to reign stark in but instead gets caught up in the crazy. It is a very funny dynamic that is played out well. It all comes together in a show that has a vintage feel with a pop-culture edge. Standard characters, written for today's audience. Each episode has gotten better so, with only three in, I'm looking forward to the next. It looks good visually too and it's cool to see a show NOT set in L.A.,NY, Chicago etc...

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]