IMDb > The Dead and the Damned (2011) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Dead and the Damned (V) More at IMDbPro »

Attempt to cash in....

Author: Jason VanMason from usa
7 August 2011

Title was changed to cash in on the popular Cowboys and Aliens. Maybe the screenplay as well because the film starts out as a standard bounty hunter tale. The hero has an odd high-pitched voice totally incompatible with his character. Then we throw in a bimbo he "buys" from a wild west pimp, a bit of gratuitous partial nudity which is okay I guess but slows down the action. Its kinda tedious and slow for an action/horror movie. Lame, unconvincing dialog further hampers the entertainment value. Oddly, the costumes, props and set are pretty good. Maybe the extras were real reinactors at some restored historic park. Unless you just love anything about zombies, you might do well to look elsewhere for tonight's entertainment.

Silly movie

Author: dwarven_tavern from United States
16 August 2011

The very first thing that's noticeable about this flick is that the actors don't seem to have much experience with firearms. OK, not that bad of a detail, I mean it's not like it is a cowboy, shoot 'em up movie, or a zombie movie...wait a minute! After that, the protagonist, the leading man, kept reminding me of Michael Jackson with his uber high pitched voice. That's okay, it isn't like he's playing a really manly character, like a cowboy, or a zombie killer and...hey, wait a minute! If you're going to cast a manly character, please keep him away from the helium! The writing was garbage, the scenery was obviously recently built, maybe a recreation village of civil war reenactors or something, and the story line was only in place enough to show some glorious hooters, which was the only redeeming feature of this flick.

And while we're on the subject of voices, let's talk about the amazing Tonto, or village person, the Indian. Against the backdrop of the cloudless sky of the great American West, the notorious wanted Indian stands proud with his hair gloriously blowing in the wind as he cleverly hides from justice. Wait, he hides from justice by standing up on a outcropping of rock posing with hair blowing in wind? OK, but at least he had a manly voice to go with those rugged and amazingly clean and obviously brand new clothes he wore, but wait! He spoke to the hero (using the hero term very, very loosely) and his deeply spiritual native American voice was inexplicably replaced by the single most Californian uber-proper English speech, right out of a way-too expensive acting school. He also had a sibilance in his S's that would make a SNAKE jealous. This is no Indian! I thought to myself.

It probably cost a buck eighty to make, and the writer and director didn't deserve a dime of it.

I couldn't stand to watch more than ten minutes without fast forwarding through to the mundane and disappointing end. I can't comment on the acting because there wasn't enough acting among the entire cast to actually form an opinion. It's like trying to explain what space smells like.

There's gore in them thar hills!

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
30 May 2012

After a pair of miners crack open a strange meteor, alien spores infect the townsfolk of a small mining community, turning them into ravenous zombies. High-pitched bounty hunter Mortimer (David A. Lockhart), noble Indian brave Brother Wolf (Rick Mora) and winsome wench Rhiannon (Camille Montgomery) attempt to escape the area before becoming zombie chow.

Originally called The Dead and the Damned, this was retitled as Cowboys & Zombies for its DVD release, no doubt in a desperate attempt to associate itself with recent Hollywood blockbuster Cowboys & Aliens. Those dumb enough to confuse the two films should count themselves lucky, though: its budget might have been a fraction of the Daniel Craig/Harrison Ford movie, but Cowboys & Zombies actually proves to be the marginally more enjoyable effort.

Unlike Cowboys & Aliens, which given its huge budget and A-list talent was a huge disappointment, Cowboys & Zombies actually lives up to expectations ie., it's a poorly acted, shot on a shoestring, goofy B-movie horror that hasn't a clue what to do with its initial premise (the film meanders aimlessly before ending abruptly) but it at least manages to deliver blood, guts, zombies, and good looking, big breasted gals shedding their clothes, which is better than 118 minutes and $163 million worth of dreary, poorly written, CGI enhanced drivel in my book.

It could have been far worse...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
7 April 2012

Initially just by the DVD cover alone you know what kind of movies you will be in for when you pick up this movie. But still, being the zombie aficionado that I am, I just had to watch it regardless.

The story in "The Dead and the Damned" or "Cowboys & Zombies" as it is titled on the DVD cover and in the actual movie, is some prospectors uncover what appears to be a meteor and brings it into town, attempts to crack it open and something green spews out. This green haze turns the prospectors into, yeah you guessed it, zombies! However, this puzzled me, because in a very short time the prospectors were quite decayed and decomposed, but still they remained their agility and ability to jump, run, sprint and do acrobatics.

However, the movie actually have good production and good cinematography and that shines through the movie and actually makes it worth sitting through.

The zombies, well I prefer shambling zombies that are unable of running and zombies that doesn't sound like marauding lions from the sound they make. That was a real bummer in the movie. The zombies also had that classic, low-budget-way-too-gray make-up on their faces, and for some reason their blood was green. And I just loved how the blood would spray up into the air whenever a zombie was shot, and then the blood simply just dissipated into thin air. That was just hilarious.

Effects-wise, then "Cowboys & Zombies" wasn't actually too shabby. The zombies, aside from the lame sounds and the gray-skin, actually looked decent enough and the effects were alright. The setting of the movie was also quite good and believable, aside from the poor choice of music, which seemed really unsuitable for a horror western.

I have sat through a lot of low-budget zombies movies in my time, and "Cowboys & Zombies" is actually on the better end of the scale of low-budget zombie movies. There are a lot of zombie movies out there far worse than this one.

And what was up with the guy on the DVD cover? I don't believe I even saw him in the movie! Epic!

Mixing cowboys/westerns and zombies have been done before. And in my personal opinion, it is not really the best of combinations. That period of time just doesn't work well with the living dead.

Review of "I was Damned to watch it"

Author: r-veach from United States
5 December 2011

The best part of this movie was the boob shots and the latex make up effects. The story was pathetic, the acting was as bad as if I was doing it. The ONLY original idea that I liked was a woman ghoul who could not see because she was disfigured and bloody and she had to sniff her way to get her woman prey. That was very cool. As far as sound, Foley work, that was not too good also. The sound man seemed to not take in to account the corners of a room. Some dialog was boxy and hard to hear. The American Indian actor was good looking, way too good looking and clean cut and spoke back and forth between a fake Indian accent to a California accent. I actually got up from the half way point of the movie and kicked my self in my own ass for renting this movie. I was so depressed that the series "The Dead Walking" was finished, I needed a zombie fix!

Cheap mediocre cash in

Author: peteranderson975 from East Kilbride, Scotland
9 August 2011

This is a very cheesy film that seems to have had a name change to cash on in on the Cowboys and Aliens summer blockbuster release. It was originally called the Dead and the Damned but I think the name change suits this low-budget zombie film

We meet our hero right in the middle of a gunfight that looks as convincing as any Wild West Show. Our hero is bounty hunter Mortimer (David A. Lockhart) and he is desperate for cash ( I have to confess that Mortimer's soft high voice did cause a giggle when I first heard it). The clerk paying him for delivering his latest catch tells him about a large bounty for an Indian (Rick Mora) who has been accused of rape and murder is wanted alive. The authorities know where he is but other bounty hunters who went after him never came back.

Mortimer heads to Jamestown, a prospecting town in the California mountains. There he finds out where the Indian is and then our hero buys a woman called Rhiannon (Camille Montgomery) from a sleazy guy selling women on the street. So far and no sign of zombies but that changes soon.

We next see a women washing herself topless outside and Jebediah is leering at her from behind some bushes. He gets caught when his father calls for help with something he has just dug up. It is a strange spherical rock with slits in its side and a glowing green core. They load it on a wheelbarrow and wheel it to Jamestown. Once the whole town has gathered round to look at the rock Jebediah's father starts whacking it with shovel. Green spores pour out of the slits and covers everyone gathered around. Naturally it is these spores which turn people into mindless flesh-eating zombies.

Meanwhile Mortimer and Rhiannon get the top of the mountain and look down on an amazing sea of cloud stretching out below them. Mortimer ties Rhiannon to a stake in the ground as bait for the Indian, while he hides in a tree and plays with his gun before going to sleep. But the Indian is not the sex mad crazy we'd been led to believe and he sneaks down, steals the bullets from the gun of the sleeping dweeb and cuts Rhiannon free with his axe. After a fist fight which Mortimer only wins by pulling a dinky little girly Derringer from his boot the Indian gets captured.

You can guess that it's not too long before they all have to work together when they discover that woods are full of zombies. One thing the two men don't do very well is keeping the unarmed Rhiannon safe from harm and every time Rhiannon is left on her own she gets attacked by a zombie. Mortimer may express guilt about putting her in danger but that doesn't mean he does anything useful about it. There is one part were they get back to Jamestown and they make themselves safe inside the saloon because the windows have been boarded up. While that is true they seem to neglect that the saloon has saloon doors which don't do much to stop zombies. There's a German bounty hunter prowling around the area too but he does nothing useful and his character just seemed pointless.

The film is not totally terrible but it is full of lazy clichés. It's watchable if you think you can bear another low-budget zombie film.

Rating 5/10

Unspeakably bad

Author: q32modulate from Laramie, Wyoming
6 October 2012

Bad production, bad script, bad premise, horrible deus ex machina type ending. And quite possibly the worst acting I've ever seen, especially from the lead David Lockhart. This guy is the WORST on screen cowboy ever. He needs both hands to pull the hammer back on a revolver. He walks like he's got a stick up his butt. I don't think his voice ever changed at puberty... he sounds like he's on helium the whole time. I dunno. I stayed up and watched it on the Horror channel because I'm in the middle of writing my own cowboys versus zombies script and when I saw this was coming on, I thought, "Oh crap." But I have nothing to worry about. At all. Avoid this.

Cowboys are bad actors....

Author: Deliberate_Stranger from Belgium
21 October 2012

I had no real expectations about this movie. The title 'Cowboys and Zombies' says it all. I was pretty sure It's some kind of Asylum project but it turned out to be completely independent feature made for extremely little money(IMDb says 30k). Having no expectations I was pleasantly surprised. Sure It's not really a good movie but at least It's watchable. The only thing which makes it hard to watch is acting. Being a low budget movies fanatic I'm used to shitty acting but what we have here is beyond amateurish. Leading guy(can't say actor) is a joke, he's playing tough as nails bounty hunter but his voice sounds like 5 years old kid and he's laughable through whole movie. Nothing good can be said about the others(Indian, girl and German) but at least their voices aren't funny. So the acting sucks BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG time but when it comes to the other aspects It's way better. Special makeup/effects are very well done for a no budget movie. There is quite a lot of graphic gore which looks nasty, zombie make-up is quite good. Editing and cinematography is quite OK for a budget, there are some boobs as well. The other thing that looked amateurish were shootouts. They rather reminded western shows from theme parks than real movie shootouts. All in all, I had a decent time watching this even with an amateur actors ruining the show. OK to watch once for gory stuff and decent looking zombies.

good news for small-budget filmmakers...

Author: dbfish66-457-773342 from United States
23 August 2012

I have only watched half of this movie as of the time this review is being written.

according to IMDb, this film was made with a budget of $30,000 (thirty thousand, not million) dollars.

if that is correct- then FANTASTIC results for the money spent.

I agree with most of the other reviewers: C-grade acting, D-grade script, but the film looks and sounds great.

so again, good news: if you have $30K, and if you have a bunch of friends who want to work cheap, and if you are talented enough to tell a good story, then this movie will be an inspiration.

... Hey, even Kevin Smith started with nothing.

Zombies & Indians

Author: BakuryuuTyranno from United Kingdom
23 April 2012

This movie is quite atypical of zombie films, yet retains the essence of "Night of the Living Dead". It's different because it focuses on three characters, without the usual redshirts.

But like "Night of the Living Dead", it's focused on the interaction between the characters.

However, the extended action scenes of the protagonist gunning down shambling zombies mean its ultimately an exploitation flick and nothing more.

But without including spoilers I can't explain why "Cowboys and Zombies" doesn't work. The real problem is towards, we learn important information about the male protagonists and then, one is abruptly killed, the other dying soon afterwards. It comes out of nowhere and makes the story feel kinda pointless.