IMDb > Not Today (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Not Today More at IMDbPro »

Well Done

Author: tapley9263 from Charleston, SC
3 June 2013

I believe this movie was very well done. The acting was actually good, especially for a Christian made film. The story line was great, sad, but great. It's unbelievable what happens to these little girls around the world. This movie definitely shines a light in the dark places we don't like to look at. Human-Trafficking is everywhere, even in America. Some of the people I have talked to about the movie before it came out told me they didn't want to watch a movie about Human-Trafficking. It's not a topic they like, or want to talk about. Well, I don't know anyone who likes it, or enjoys talking about it, but we can't close our eyes to it. We can help stop human-trafficking. I would recommend this movie to anyone mature enough to watch it. It might be a bit too much to see for the younger crowd, but it's a topic that should be discussed.

How you react when you are confronted by the truth will determine your true worth.

Author: Jesse Boland from Burnaby, BC Canada
11 May 2014

These movies need to be made, and the message needs to get out that Slavery of any kind is wrong no matter where it is happening. I only wish there was not so much of the Christian babble throughout this movie. It would be an excellent film if not for that. Though a bit on the low budget side for the scenes where the police actually show up, the story is one that will touch even the coldest heart, and just may help bring an end to the worst things that we do to each other. Cody Longo, plays his roll very well, at the start he is as oblivious to the people in need all around him as anyone else, but by the end he is a real man, and is willing to do what ever it takes to help. Like I mentioned this movie does look less real when it gets to the action, but the night time scenes of Caden searching alone, and getting himself into the most dangerous situations are worth your time. I Enjoy movies like this, and this one was no exception, I recommend this to everyone. The people out there in bonded slavery should all be set free no human life belongs to another.

Important message lost

Author: i_am_here from Oxford, England
22 September 2015

This has to be one of the worst films I have seen.

'Not Today' has an important message, but sadly it is not the main one..... The religious hard sell is. To a non-believer such as myself, the endless references to God, the church and prayer are appalling. One or two references I can tolerate. But this!? Furthermore, the reasonable quality picture was frequently defaced underneath a layer scrawl. The subtitles, if indeed they can be termed that, since they were not 'sub', appeared randomly all over the screen in random fonts, colours and sizes. They were often made more distracting by being dynamic too. All this, when the viewers' attention should be focused on the images of the appalling conditions and hardships faced by the little girl and her father pictured in the background. On the DVD, I even had the subtitle option turned off, but this distracting 'arty-farty' nonsense remained.

Maybe the makers will think to remake, re-cut or re-edit this to play it straight and simple. Cutting the abundant reference to religion should also broaden its appeal and increase awareness of how badly too many people are still treated in today's world.

In my case, the DVD now resides in the rubbish bin, one of the few discs I have purchased that are not worth enduring for a second time.

I wanted to like this

Author: spmact from Canada
19 March 2015

I really wanted to like this movie. The trailer made it seem like it was going to be a very powerful film, but unfortunately it fell way short.

I commend the film makers for their effort to bring this subject to light, but as a film, it just wasn't very well done. Things in the story weren't quite coherent, there were lots of examples of bad acting (thought the main cast was decent), and above all, all the overdone religious references made it seem somewhat cheesy.

I'm actually a religious person, but it seemed that this movie not just promoted going to church and praying, but almost beat you over the head with it by wedging it into the story repeatedly. I've seen plenty of other films with religious themes incorporated into them without detracting from the quality of the film, but this wasn't one of them.

In the end it's a shame that the film didn't live up to its potential, but at least they tried.

This could be the movie to spark a new generation of hope and justice.

Author: chree_hansen from United States
29 July 2013

A true eye opener to a major world issue.

I was fortunate enough to be able see this movie at a film festival and meet the director who is affiliated with the church in Orange County from which the film was completely funded, hence the Christian overtones and I just want to say how amazing it was for them to put the time and hard work into promoting such an awful in grievance that so many will turn a blind eye to. This isn't the first movie that has opened my eyes to human slavery, especially were children are involve, but it certainly has left a lasting impression and I encourage everyone to see this movie young and old alike. I actually took my 13 year old niece with me and she is now spreading the word and wearing the bracelet to support this cause. I truly believe I children will be the ones to change these awful abuses in the future so educating them now is the way to start. Just like the movie points out, none of us is free if one of us is enslaved.

Religious rhetoric

Author: sirfire from Australia
25 November 2014

Okay i got duped by IINET movie ratings and the sublime plot. I really do like the story and the plot as i have been to India numerous times. But the religious rhetoric just was too much. I have compassion and concern about slavery and children and I am agnostic and i do not need faith to believe that it can be fixed. Sorry this is the sad point of this story as i see it. You do not need to have faith that things will be better cause it won't but you can show the world just how bad a third world life is .... No child should live in poverty or child prostitution.

I do like how they show just how bad it can be .... but saving one little girl is not going to save the world and by saving that one girl isn't going to make it right with your "God". There are much more serious issues here. How can we let people or children live that way? How do we fix the growing epidemic ? And the real question is that if there is a GOD then why is some people allowed to live in extreme wealth and others without food for days at a time.

If you are a true Christian then all the that WEALTH they showed in this movie should be sold off and you can live in a modest single storey home with a small car and no-name brand clothes and setup a school for the poor and morning and evening meals for the poor. Now thats being a Christian.