IMDb > "The Office" The Banker (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Office" The Banker (2010)

« Prev | 104 of 187 Episodes | Next »

A needed episode, but could have been done so much better.

Author: darthshark910 from United States
27 March 2010

OK, so this episode deals with a banker from the company that is buying DM, coming to the Scranton branch to review some things. He begins to interview Toby, who answers his questions and-wh-WHAT?! Why are we being shown scenes from other episodes. Yes, my friends, this is a clip show, which is a staple of any good comedy show. Now, the major problem with this episode is not that it is a clip show, but the way they set it up.

1. There is no transition between present day and the clips, which makes it confusing, because, for the most part, this is a show that takes place in ONE location. This means that we will see Toby and the banker in the annex, and then cut to something happening in the main office. But it's actually a flashback, and there is no way of telling.

2. There were SOOOOOOOO many better ways to set this episode up. I mean, really, just through Toby's memories? Really? In fact, a much better way to set this up would be to actually acknowledge for once that there is supposed to be a camera crew filming their daily office lives. Maybe, we could actually see who is behind the camera, and they would show the characters a tape of some of the events that they have filmed, and we could see the characters reacting to it, which in my opinion would be hilarious.

I love this show, but i consider this to be the worst episode of all time.

Not filled with laughs, but a needed episode.

Author: Ben Vollmer (Bengerman@mac.com) from United States
7 February 2010

This isn't the episode of The Office that you would recommend to a friend who hasn't seen the show, but its one that if you have been following the show, should be well received. As many of you, I have felt a little disappointed in what The Office has given us in the last couple of seasons. This episode rekindled the memories of how great to us it was when it was at its best, with Dwight and Jim still having a rivalry, Pam and Jim still having a connection we can all relate to, and the rest of the workers being individuals rather than fill ins for the show. While it was hard to swallow that the show isn't what it used to be, it brought hope that it isn't entirely lost. I hope they wrap up what has been a sub-par season six on a high note, and end the show like it started rather than where it is now.

Looking back, some of these old clips on 'The Office', were probably a big refresher.

Author: Elizabeth from Chicago
23 January 2010

It didn't help that I not too recently watched those very same clips, but it was good to view some of the Season One office people and how some matured, while others became more childish over the seasons. The funny thing is, there was a similar video on 'YouTube' which quoted their Ten Reasons To Watch The Office, so another reason could be that even if you missed a popular clip, you could watch it again on this reminiscent episode of 'The Banker'.

If I were to be realistic, I know of other series that have attempted to reuse old clips and make it into a new episode. On those occasions I wasn't intrigued by their approach, The Office bears no exception. I wonder why Toby still works there; he has no hope with Pam and Michael despises his guts, so why bother? There was literally a tiredness and exhausted look on his face, while he was being questioned, I was really tired watching him as well.

Dwight claims he doesn't waste company time and envisions himself as a committed employee, but the things he does for Michael sometimes shows of his 'Five Year Old' complex. Did anyone else notice Ryan's glasses and his strange urge to carry of 'The UrKel' look? Is he trying to look more like Dwight or become his sidekick?

There was not much advancement with this episode, which was quite disappointing. I don't know if the producers were trying to be cost efficient, or what made this nostalgic episode come about. Maybe they believed the fans would appreciate being reminded of what we love about 'The Office' or probably after the long break they wanted to play 'catch-up' Who knows? I just didn't like it that much.

The scene where Kelly slaps Michael on 'Diversity Day', that Kelly is gone and I remembered how much I laughed that episode. It's amazing, after the moment is gone, you can't really have the exact same laugh, probably an appreciation. Anyway, I was really fed up at the end of it all. At least everything wasn't made up of clips and they tried to bring in a little act in between. The best part would have been the 'Jim and Pam' Niagra Falls wedding, for me anyway.

Lexa Reviews