IMDb > Skyline (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Skyline

Skyline More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 93:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

An intelligent Scifi that doesn't cater to the crowd

Author: greyarchive-1 from United Kingdom
17 November 2010

After reading so many negative reviews I was actually considering not going to watch it....

I was expecting the worst I even took my android phone in case it was really bad and I could of played a couple of games.

This film doesn't follow the Hollywood method it doesn't have a normal ending, characters are not printed on politically correct paper.

I found the reactions of the people involved to be realistic, normal people with small minds and grasping to small problems in a situation they have no control over..

A humankind shown to be 99.999% normal petty and none heroic.

We watch so many films that follow a formula that show man out to be this amazing being who always survives always wins we are so use to being saved and its not really true is it ? We don't have a ace pilot or elitist hacker we don't have a superhero to fix it all, we be in trouble if something more advanced than us comes to play.

To me this makes it an awesome film and strangely I found the rest of the people in the cinema of the same mind as soon as the film finished people I didn't know started discussing it as a bit of fresh air.

If you like your films like independence day or Armageddon or any film where humankind are groomed and praised where a prayer to the gods or a speech by the president saves the day then you probably won't like this movie.

I look forward to seeing skyline 2

Not awful, certainly not expected...

Author: sionyn_rhys from United States
13 November 2010

They drop from the sky with no warning. They do seemingly inexplicable things. They are capable of things that defy human experience. And we see it from the perspective of people we have no real connection to.

My first thoughts were something like, "How are K-Fed and Bobby Brown gonna save the planet?" Turns out, I need not have wondered.

What I thought the movie did very well was tell the story from the point of view of a handful of people that have no extraordinary attributes whatsoever. Disaster movies tend to have characters able to overcome improbable odds to somehow accomplish some measure of victory for Earth and/or humanity. Not so in Skyline. We have an apparently successful recording artist living the high life in L.A. and his friend, who possesses some measure of marketing talent. Rounded out with girlfriends, other assorted attractive female hangers-on, and what appears to be one of the security guards of the condominium complex in which the recording artist resides.

As far from "everyday normal" as this group might seem to be, they could very easily be real people, particularly in La-La Land. And the best part is that they reacted to events in a very normal, everyday human way. Weird stuff happens, and so they try to make sense of it, try to get a look at what's going on. And what they see makes no sense. There are no moments of inspired intuition, no really extraordinary feats of heroism or even ordinary ones.

Every plan of action the characters come up with fails, their safe-zones continually diminish, and characters are inexorably picked off. This is mirrored by the larger reaction of the military and their attempts to resist the alien menace. While slightly more successful in causing some injury to the aliens, their ultimate futility is seen when what looks to be an incredibly agile stealth bomber dances and dodges its way through aerial combat to release the Hail-Mary tactical nuke missile even as it is finally shot down. We follow the missile as it tracks toward the largest of alien craft and BOOM! Lots of bright light and big noise, and we see the alien vessel crashing to the ground as a smoldering wreck. Yay! But wait, holy crap, and oh noes! The aliens have regenerative/repair abilities congruent with their clearly organic-machine nature. The actors best moments come when they convey the despair and frustration of seeing every soap-bubble of hope unavoidably popped.

Earth is a rich and rare cache of resources presumably not found in many places in the vast, cold reaches of space. The aliens are here to secure their own continued survival with our delicious goodies. Our own species does this exact same thing to plants and animals across the globe. So what more motivation do the aliens need? And how could we realistically resist? None, and we can't, any more than the Amazon or marine life could. I don't know how much more "real" the story could get.

The movie doesn't satisfy the audience with a heroic victory for mankind. Or any victory, for that matter. And in this, it bucks the seemingly inescapable trend for reassuring us with some message about how adhering to noble virtues will allow us to win out in the end. To me, the film demonstrated exactly how fragile and small we and our planet are in the grander scheme of the universe. It's an ugly, cold truth, and we might prefer to be deluded that we can overcome if we just (add inspiring platitude here). But if our real-life local and global disasters are any indication, those sorts of wins only come at the very end and from the efforts of survivors after the fact. In the scenario this movie presents, we won't get that chance. Were aliens ever to come knocking, humanity as it is now is simply boned. And that's it.

Lots of people will not like or want to hear that message from a work of fiction. But I think the makers of this film deserve credit for their much more likely message of futility. It's not something we get a lot of from movies. Every now and again, it's a nice change from the improbable happy ending.

Great Effects, Godawful Script

Author: changmoh from Malaysia
9 November 2010

First, let's work on some maths: "Skyline" is an alien invasion flick that has a touted US$10 million budget! This amount is a shoestring for an alien attack film - it is not even enough to pay the salary of an A-list star! So now you can do the maths and understand why there are no big stars here.

If you had seen the trailer you might have been impressed by the CGI effects of the tentacled UFOs. This is probably where all the money have gone. Everything else, from its lame script and B-grade TV stars to its sets, are all hotch-potch and downright rudimentary. It is an exploitation film that seems destined for DVD.

Synopsis: After a night of heavy partying at a posh condo in Los Angeles, a bunch of friends are awakened in the early hours by mysterious beams of light from the skyline. Those who gaze on the light get entranced - like moths to a flame and get 'burnt up'. Yup, the alien ships have landed and the survivors at the condo unit, Jarrod (Eric Balfour) and his fiancée (Scottie Thompson, pictured below with Balfour), and their friends Terry (Donald Faison of TV's "Scrubs") and Candice (Brittany Daniel) must find a way to escape the aliens' grasp. But where can they run? There are so many things wrong with the movie that I don't know where to begin. The film, directed by the Brothers Strause who did the effects for "The X-FIles", centres the action inside the condo unit so much that we get the impression that LA is deserted and the only folks left are those in the half-empty building. No attempt is made to show the scope of the 'body snatching' and its effects on the millions of other city-dwellers.

Next, the main characters are being portrayed as such selfish and unsavoury people that we root for the aliens to take them away. This may be because the writers have not bothered to flesh out their backgrounds, except for a few predictable turns. The only one who comes on as real is David Sayas (of TV's "Dexter" fame) who plays the building supervisor. Also, the dialogue is lame and clichéd. The writers must have had the notion that audience interest can be sustained if they have the characters yell at one another.

There's no doubt that Strause brothers provide exhilarating special effects - but they need to work on getting a good story to go with their CGI magic. Otherwise it is just a damn waste.

Strangely interesting and stylish apocalyptic science fiction

Author: quinnox-1 from United States
14 November 2010

I'm surprised this move is not higher rated. I think its one of the best science fiction/monster movies to come out in some time.

Awesome special effects in this one, with nice designs for the monsters and the alien ships and tech. The movie is creatively shot and I like how focused the plot was on the few main characters. A wonderful sense of doom pervades the whole film, with no cheap typical Hollywood miraculous escapes or happy endings. It was refreshing to see a movie focus on a grim and frightening reality of an unstoppable alien invasion without the typical cheesy silliness of movies like say, "Independence Day".

Maybe people don't like it because of its pessimistic and unrelenting dismal tone, but I appreciate a director who steadfastly focuses on this aspect of hopelessness in the face of a vastly superior advanced alien force and it makes sense and feels real because of this decision.

Another thing I enjoyed was how the movie at first seemed like it was going to be a shallow, typical Hollywood movie focused on young attractive people who like to party but then the movie shifted gears abruptly to a deadly serious tone which it then kept until the end, which I very much liked, how it faked me out in this way.

Would love to see a sequel and I think the movie hints strongly that the story is not done.

Not that bad

Author: eslaughter-1 from United States
13 November 2010

I see many posters claims Skyline is the 'worst movie ever' - that isn't even close to true. This $10 million movie was way better than the $100 million Van Helsing. And also way better than Johnny Mnemonic which is the gold standard by which I judge all bad movies. I actually liked Skyline. It was by no means a great movie but props to the film makers for skipping all of the alien invasion clichés and going with something original. One poster compared it to a zombie movie and I did notice the similarity when I was watching it. The plot does have far more in common with a typical zombie movie than you usual alien invasion movie. Also, way more realistic than any alien invasion movie I've ever seen. Independence Day was fun to watch but it was just cotton candy not serious science fiction.

One of the worst movies of the year

Author: littleNero
12 November 2010

This is easily the worst movie I've seen this year. It's saying something when the writing is so bad that even an end-of-the-world alien invasion can't stop boring you senseless.

The characters are passive participants to the events around them. Sure they scream on cue, but their lives and struggles are devoid of feeling and emotions. The film lacks the frantic pace of the somewhat similar Cloverfield where the characters and their environment felt desperate and chaotic. Instead we get destruction without fear and survival without passion.

I'm a big sci-fi fan, but I honestly can't remember the last time I was this bored in the theater despite a few moments of great special effects. Avoid this movie at all costs.

Absolute crap!

Author: tdevereaux from United States
12 November 2010

Skyline was probably the worst piece of crap I've seen in a long time. Just when I thought it was finally over, it got even worse. Just picture a bad version of Independence Day, but instead of following the exciting people who will save the planet, you sit in a room with the most annoying people on Earth.

I liked the concept with the Cloverfield feel without the camcorder shakiness. But you never get the feeling that you care what happens to these people. I found myself hoping they would all get killed. It was a lot like War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise, except not as good. And that was not a good movie. A movie about aliens destroying the entire world, and you spend it in one room for almost the whole film. Now this wouldn't be all bad if done right, except the actors are just props and the drama is empty and forced.

I would recommend showing it to film students as an example of how to make an action movie boring.

I saw AVP:R. I was ready to rip SKYLINE to shreds....

Author: drew_atreides from Ontario, Canada
13 November 2010

...but to be quite honest, it isn't that bad.

Actually an OK B-Movie.

All of the complaints against the acting are, for the most part, unfounded. It's not academy award winning material, but i think pretty much everyone involved gives competent performances.

And i'm not sure what people wanted from the dialogue. These are regular people in way over their heads in the middle of an alien invasion.

I thought the dialogue was not an issue.

The ending DID push the limits a bit, but at the same time I guess it was the only conceivable way to end on a hopeful note, given that the entirety of the film showed us how screwed humanity was against these guys.

This was not anywhere near the abomination that was Aliens Vs. Predator: Requiem.

I'd probably rank it a solid 6.5/10.

And i have to admit i'm as surprised as anyone by that. Movie does NOT deserve the critical hate it's getting.

I liked it.

Author: magicsinglez from United States
13 November 2010

Aliens descend on Los Angeles out of the blue, surround the young casts condo, and prepare to finish them off, then the movie switches to "15 hours earlier". What more import information could we possibly need to know, what the characters exchanged for birthday presents? The switch-up kind of made me want to leave the theater. Instead of wondering, who got what as a housewarming present, I was wondering if the theater would give out a refund 10 minutes into a movie. Guess I'm OK with skipping character development. Skyline picks up quick enough after the reset, I did like the movie. In other films, such as the recent District 9, character isn't really developed - the hero's character is revealed as he's exposed to greater and greater stress.

I should admit I'm a fool for these alien invasion movies, I even give Battlefield Earth 8 of 10 stars. Some of the dialogue in Skyline seems a bit off, but at least it's not safe, politically correct or predictable. At times the dialogue is off on purpose. When one of the characters says something like, "we're OK now" you just know something really bad is about to happen. It's almost a cue.

For some Skyline will conjure up images of 9/11. Other's have already taken parts of the movie as a metaphor for rampant consumerism. I felt the attack was a metaphor for the 'illegal alien' invasion of the present day. More specifically, I guess, a replay of the phenomenon of black guys sleeping with a lot (I assume) of white girls. Tragedy after tragedy befall our young heroes and in the end one of the young girls sums it all up by saying, "I hate Los Angeles". In no way is it funny.

There was some infighting among the groups of survivors, perhaps less than in some movies but I felt there was still a bit too much of it. The sympathetic adult our cast befriend has to keep telling one of the young men something like, "Don't bury your head and hope this goes away", "It's real". When the alien machines turn out to be powered by human brains the guy beside me at the theater cringed. He had a valid reaction. White people aren't That smart. The evidence isn't looking too good on that. Besides, brains don't really seem to be what they are after.

At times the movie switches into the mode of fantasy. Some of the American aircraft appear to be models we've never seen before and they have odd sizes and shapes (not sure I've ever rooted for American airplanes this much before). At other times the cast remain remarkably unaffected by the action on screen. It's not even just narrow escapes. Skyline is such an intense movie, and frightening, the fantasy element may help cut down on the tension. I wonder if the disjointed beginning also keeps the movie from being too frightening. When it's revealed we're sort of fighting ourselves it adds even more creepiness and perhaps provides some afterthoughts (of hopelessness) to the experience.

Do we ever actually see the aliens? Did they even bother to land on Earth, or just send army sucking probes here? Why didn't the aliens use robot brains instead of harvesting zombies. Are they tapping into some kind of unknown 'life force'. Is it a matter of invading on a budget? We'll never know unless there's a sequel. Maybe instead of Alien vs Predator, Cloverfield vs Skyline. Both movies are very similar, actually. Maybe both attacks come from the same intelligence. A sequel seems unlikely, though, this movie can be summed up with the words 'we lose'. The main thing going for Skyline (aside from the fear, action and horror) is the ending. The ending is atypical: bleak, realistic, frightening, with again just a touch of fantasy to ease it through.

Whyline?

Author: xavboy4 from United Kingdom
12 November 2010

It's rare that I'll give a movie an 'awful' review - I can usually find something of interest, even if it's only of interest to me! Having just been to see Skyline however, I felt numbed and cheated - I hadn't paid, but I still felt I was owed some money back... With no likable characters, a 'plot' that goes from bad to worse to literally nothing, it's difficult to recommend anything about the movie. I've already had my fingers burnt by the Brothers Strause before - when they took 2 much loved franchises in Alien and Predator and made their fans weep. That film, just like this one, has some cool looking set pieces but absolutely nothing of value to tie them together - totally refusing to give the viewer any reason to care about what they've churned out.

Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.