IMDb > Just Go with It (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Better than expected

Author: stratozyck from Auburn, AL, USA
12 February 2011

First of all, it is an Adam Sandler movie. If you hate Adam Sandler movies, then you won't like this.

I gave it an 8/10 because it was one of the better Adam Sandler movies. The plot and storyline was better than I expected; the development was pretty good as well. There were definitely a lot of points where I had to slap my forehead b/c it was silly funny.

Yeah, its highly unrealistic, but if you expected realism, whats wrong with you? Sure, Jennifer Anniston is the "uglier chick," which is like saying a million dollars isn't that much money, but she did a good job in the movie.

The only complaint I had was Adam Sandler used all the lines I planned on using with the girl I took to see it!

Just Go With It

Author: matt-3278 from Wiltshire UK
18 February 2011

I'm a bloke of 32. I took the other half to watch this last night as I do enjoy Comedy's. Not much of a cinema goer as tend to be the one saying 'ooh I knew I wanted to see that' when the film gets released and then completely forget to actually go.

I was in absolute stitches watching this, it's by far the funniest film I've seen in a long-long time. Normally watching a comedy I'd chuckle and laugh a bit but I was actually laughing out loud almost the whole film - as were a most of the other viewers in the cinema.

I do like (as my missus puts it) 'stupid comedy's' like; Anchor Man, Dodgeball and Hear no Evil See No Evil etc. so this is where I'm coming from.

I think the whole cast was near on perfect with Adam Sandler providing hilarious moments throughout, with Jenifer Aniston sexier and funnier than I've ever known her to be. if you watch the film you'll know that Dolf Lungren was side splitting at times and The kids worked really well especially Keekee-D's Mary Poppins English Accent!.... Oh and not to fortget the beautiful blonde :)

All in all an absolute hoot and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

Would have given it a 10/10 but nothings perfect :) so its a 9/10 from me.

ps. Just go with it hit the spot so much that this is the first film review I have ever done!

not expecting this: job well done

Author: littlemssvixen from Belgium
12 April 2011

I've seen almost all of Jennifer Aniston's movies and most of them I really did not like. So my expectations of "Just go with it" were very low. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was laughing with tears in my eyes the first 20min of watching this movie and I didn't stop laughing till the screen showed black.

Al though the movie almost is 2 hours long, I wasn't bored at any time. The story was well written, the acting was amazing and hilarious and it was original in it's jokes. It did have a typical ending, but for once it didn't bother me because of the good build up in the story and the development of the characters.

If you do have a weakness for typical comedy movies, but can't seem to find a good one these days, definitely check out this one: laughter guaranteed!

The Adam Sandler Formula Works Again

Author: Cunnilingilator from United States
7 September 2010

Just saw at this an advanced screening in Huntington Beach.

It was pretty damn good. I do have to admit that I am an Adam Sandler fan. Being 21, I grew up seeing his films in theaters and for the most part liked them all. I think with Big Daddy, Dennis Dugan and Adam Sandler's Happy Madison crew really started a formula of movie. Central conflicted and imperfect character Adam (who has a good heart of course), falls in love with the girl of his dreams, who is younger and way better looking than him, all formulated around a specific central premise (i.e. with this film it's Adam's lies piling on top of lies) supported by extremely strong, quirky side character performances. This might be the epitome of this established formula, really passing 50 First Dates in my opinion. The typical Sandler ridiculous humor and smart-ass remarks are extremely well balanced with perfectly timed and executed emotional moments. The set-up for the story is pretty basic and at first almost appears predictable. It is to some extent, but the crazy directions the movie takes based on Sandler's lies is well done and only stretches a few times. But what do you expect from the Happy Madison crew?

The 2 kids in the film did a good job and had some funny lines. I am not a Jennifer Aniston fan at all but really actually liked her in this. I sort of understand her popularity and charm after this movie. She seemed more genuine and I felt an emotional attachment to her that I have always lacked with her. Plus, she is showcased in a particular waterfall scene and looks absolutely fantastic in a bikini. Brooklyn Decker is unbelievably gorgeous, as we all know from the SI Swimsuit Edition, but I was very surprised at how natural of an actress she was. She seemed very comfortable and didn't overact much. She is extremely cute and lovable. Nicole Kidman and Dave Mathews were great as an uber cool couple. Nicole was a bit over the top as she has been of late (like since Moulin Rouge), but thats what her character called for so I understand. Dave was surprisingly good as an almost drugged up yuppie, cool boyfriend of Nicole's. Nick Swardson was absolutely hilarious and by far steals every scene he is in. He really comes into the movie about 1/3 of the way in and from there on out its his movie. Nick Swardson deserves fame for this.

I can't say for sure how the critics will receive it. I can handle suspension of disbelief as long as it leads to a funny payoff. For the most part these moments are delivered. It's a great date movie and a great movie for Sandler fans. He has an unbelievable recent track record for success, but this will top all of them at the box office.

Just go with it

Author: lavoie7 from Canada
12 February 2011

If you are looking for a highly intellectual movie, forget it. This is a simple movie with a simple story line and simple jokes. However, if you like to go to the movies just to break the routine, to have some laughs, and to change your mind, this is an excellent movie. Most highly critical people looking for perfection will give this movie a bad review, no doubt. People who gave an 8 to True Grit will not appreciate this movie...

Acting is excellent. Jennifer Aniston is perfect in that role; this is her best performance in a movie so far, except maybe for Marley and Me. Adam Sandler is much more natural than usual. He does not have to deliver all of the stupid jokes, and has a to act his role during most of the movie. I would say this is an equivalent performance as in 50 First Dates, or even better. He is very funny (as usual), but also compassionate and lovable. Nick Swardson is the clown of the movie, which allows Sandler to act more and leave some of the funny stuff to others. Swardson made me and my whole family laugh out loud during many parts of the movie. In fact, it had been a long time since I heard my two teenagers laugh so much and so loudly during a movie.

The two kids are really good supporting actors. They bring a lot to the movie. They make the situation more complicated a few times in unexpected ways. Bailee Madison is very impressive. We will see her again and often.

The normal cast of Happy Madisson movies are all there for their usual 2 minutes and all bring their own laugh. One of them made me swallow water in my lungs! He is good! I will let you guess which one.

All and all, we left very satisfied and happy we had this family night, even the teenagers. No frustration like we had in True Grit and no disappointment like we had in Sanctum. This was better than expected and worth its money. Just sit down and "Go with it!".

If you like Adam Sandler and Happy Madison then this one's for you!!

Author: hartzfeld225 from United States
15 February 2011

My wife and I watched this movie on Valentines Day. The way we decided on this movie was that we watched trailers for all the movies in our theater and this one stood out by far as the best.

Once we started watching this movie I realized that this actually was gonna be a good pick for Valentines Day. It was a very well done Romantic-Comedy. I was just suspecting a full out comedy but was happy that the movie was the way it was even though I normally dislike most R-C's.

The cast worked excellent together. Sandler was funny as usual and meshed very well with Jennifer Aniston. Nick Swardson is always a funny guy and lives up to that in this movie. Brooklyn Decker played her part to a tee, and the children added just the right touch to every scene they were in.

This movie was a winner in my book. I am usually much more critical but there was just something about it. I will be at least renting when this comes out on DVD/Blu-Ray. Who knows...maybe i'll spend the $20 and buy this one. Go see it! You won't regret.

I came, I saw, I laughed!

Author: Hal Cyone
19 February 2011

If you're looking for a good laugh, I highly recommend this movie. You'll definitely enjoy it with your friends or your family. If I want to watch a comedy, I'm not critical about anything, if the movie can make me laugh then I'm good. I know what I was expecting when I went to see this movie but I wasn't expecting that it was going to make me laugh that hard!

This movie has heart, it deals with friendship and family. It's like 50 First Dates and then some, and then some more. It's not your typical boy-meets-girl romantic-comedy either, it doesn't focus on the lead characters alone. Here, you'll see the supporting characters, and their relationships grow with the lead characters.

The dialogues were great. Jennifer and Adam really have chemistry in this movie. I was glad to see Nicole in a comedy! The kids are hilarious! Basically, everyone did a great job!

Likable Sandler-fare, as usual

Author: jantoniou from California
20 June 2011

Adam Sandler is getting pretty solid at producing and acting in quasi-poignant tales that get him somewhat further away - and, ultimately, closer to (doesn't make sense, I know) - from his proto-Sandler-style of filmmaking that has his vaguely proto-typical cast of characters - hapless, hopeless geeks, improbable ladies' man, a "nice guy" that all the ladies want, but still seem to settle on the douches. Sandler brings his "crew" together - former/current SNLers, Allen Covert (who is pretty much in every Sandler movie that I can think of), and some heavy-hitters occasionally. "The Wedding Singer," "Grown-Ups," and, now, "Just Go With It" all pander to this amiable style of film-making that is at times borderline gross-out - but just pulls away before you realize this probably isn't an Apatow-slacker movie, nor is attempting to be.

Sandler is a plastic surgeon who long ago accidentally discovered he could play the "my wife is a terrible person who abuses me" card to score with hot chicks at the bar. Fact is he's not actually married - he and/or his wife left him at the altar many years before when he discovered she really didn't like him - but he's become so comfortable with lying to score with the chicks he just doesn't care - or seem to. Jennifer Aniston is his office assistant, a sweet, single gal with 2 kids. She doesn't much care for how he deals with the ladies, but she still likes him because she sees what a sweet guy he really is under the surface of his rather devious womanizing that all starts with a lie.

Sandler meets the bounteous and beautiful - and, very young - Brooklyn Decker at a party. They sleep together on the beach and in the morning Decker discovers he's "married." Sandler immediately throws a lie out there - he IS in fact, married (wait, no he's not, but it's all a lie anyway) but he's in the process of getting a divorce because his relationship with his wife - again, playing the same card - is very bad. Decker somehow believes him and off we go with the rest of the movie where Aniston agrees to be his fake wife and ultimately go off on a vacation with Decker, Sandler, Aniston's kids, and Nick Swanson as the court jester/boob (basically a version of Rob Schneider from Sandler's other "Happy Madison" movies) who pretends to be Aniston's boyfriend.

There are a lot of funny setups and jokes - enough to enjoy the movie, for sure, even if they do clearly seem to be Sandler-ish in their obviousness. Hey, he's a plastic surgeon, let's see where we might milk that. Decker is half his and Aniston's age - let's see where we might milk that. Swanson is an often over-the-top boob - let's see where we can grab some silly jokes there. Aniston's kids - the daughter, especially - are good for quite a few laughs as well.

I half expected Decker to be pretty bad, but she does just fine. She is playing against top comedic talent here - though honestly Sandler nearly seems on auto-pilot in most of his movies - and nowhere is Jessica Simpson-like delivery in evidence. It hardly needs to be said she is being used for her looks more than her supposed talent, but her ability to transcend the "Hey, I'm just here to be a C-cup blond bimbo in a bikini" obviousness of her role is commendable. Sandler is notorious - or very successful, depending on your perspective - in bringing in at least one or two pieces of eye candy to most of his films, but in a manner that is less blatant or purely perverse. Yes, Sandler likes hiring hot chicks, but he also likes the good/nice guy to have a shot with her, which makes most of us nerds feel at least a little bit more hopeful. Decker and Aniston both of course fill this role, quite well.

While clearly not an intentional Oscar-winner, Sandler proves he is again capable of making a funny, somewhat poignant, generally enjoyable PG-13-bordering-on-R-rated film.

Just throw up on it...

Author: headly66 from New Jersey
21 May 2011

This is a horrible movie that actually made me laugh a bunch of times but that still doesn't save it from my rating. The laughs have absolutely nothing to do with the plot and are mostly sight gags. The entire premise is absurd, instead of telling the truth to the new girl he met about wearing a wedding ring he concocts a lie so complicated and stupid it could never work under any circumstances. One point being the idea that he is automatically going to stay with this girl even though they only had one night together but still creates situations that would not work in any future with her. His fake wife is really his assistant, his cousin has to do a fake German accent and his fake daughter has to continue to do a English Cockney accent forever?

The blonde girlfriend must be the dumbest woman on the planet to believe the nonsense she is being told.

The end is predictable.

The only good thing was Nick Swardson who is very funny.

Was the movie made on 'opposite day'?

Author: photo2-3 from United States
20 June 2011

Just awful. Sandler is not even trying to act. The rest of the actors are are slighted with such a bad chemistry that it is painful to watch. The pacing, cutting, acting ... you name it is all bad.

The plot couldn't be more further from reality or from values that would help us like these characters. Let's see: here is a plastic surgeon (sandler) who spent the last 20 years lying to women that he was married so that he could get them to bed.

His assistant doesn't see anything wrong with that. To the contrary, she will allow her kids to be bribed and exploited so that this plastic surgeon can take his lies even further. Hey his assistant even agrees to pose as his wife in this scam.

In addition his friend finds out about a trip to Hawaii so he dresses up like some funny accent yahoo and assume a role of his wife's boyfriend in order to hitch a ride to hawaii (all expenses paid by Sandler) In the meantime the woman that Sandler wants to convince that he is not a liar seems to be completely gullible (dumb) and doesn't have any suspicion about this.

It just so happens that (surprise!) the assistant falls in love with Sandler and doesn't really care about him being a liar, womanizer ... whatever else. Basically every character is so thin and so removed from reality ...

actually let me correct myself ... they are all very real characters to someone who personifies the negative Hollywood image. Someone who has no clue about real life, real people... someone who doesn't get that everything in these characters is flawed and therefore it will be unreasonable for them to be likable.

It is all about the world of 14,000 per night suites, eating out and lying every step of the way. Add to this a complete lack of chemistry between the characters and you have a movie that I do not want to ever see again.

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]