IMDb > One Day (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
One Day

One Day More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

'One Day' is an achievement in film acting and a beautiful love story

Author: Bobby Myers from St. Louis
31 August 2011

Very seldom in Hollywood are movies produced that are as emotionally involving as 'One Day.' It's a beautiful, beautiful love story of two people, Emma (Anne Hathaway) and Dex (Jim Sturgess). After spending the night together after graduation, we are taken on a journey into their lives for one day each year after they met; to see where they are or where they're not. Based on the book by David Nicholls (who also wrote the screenplay), 'One Day' transitions from novel to film brilliantly.

First let me say film acting is what I believe makes or breaks a movie - if the actors are great, the movie is generally great. That's not to take away from any other element of film at all, but when everything else is done so well, if the acting were bad, the film would have been less memorable. But Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess are so very impressive here. They make their characters real and relatable, which are two key things every actor internally wishes they could do. In fact, as an on-screen pair, they work extremely well, together they exude chemistry.

What I found most interesting about the entire experience was that I cared so much. I became enamoured with their lives. I kept hoping for the best. I anticipated what would happen to each of them. I sat forward, sat backward. I laughed and I cried. I've said many times before, a great movie will effect you emotionally in more ways than one. You'll be angry, you'll be happy, you'll be sad - the key is that you emote. This movie presented all of those elements. It was fresh and witty and everything you hope a movie will be. It's as beautifully made as it is acted and the locations are exquisite. Far too often, characters in Hollywood seem contrived and are not genuine. 'One Day' is honestly one of the most genuine stories ever told - there is no instant gratification, there is however frustration and that is the beauty of it all. It explores love and love lost, it explores friendship and the constraints of time and distance. It explores each character's journey to happiness and the trials they face along the way. So many little pieces of the puzzle are filled in between the years by simple, single lines of dialogue or actions. It's not the typical script of "everything's all good-obstacle-everything ends well" - there's a lot more complexity which makes it realistically genuine.

So many little details, like eye-lines, smiles, sighs, cut-off conversations, etc. were paid attention to. The costuming, cinematography and score were spot on and all noteworthy. All of it combined was moving and awe-inspiring. I left the theater crying, but it didn't stop there, even thinking about the movie and those characters is deeply affecting. Maybe there are some underlying themes in the film that I'm identifying with, or maybe, just maybe the actors were really that great. Whatever it is, this film comes with my highest recommendation, is rated PG-13 and runs 107 minutes.

Too many bitter reviewers...

Author: guest_pabby from Virginia, United States
3 September 2011

After perusing other reviews for this movie, I believe that many of the ratings are low, not because viewers disliked the movie, but because they disliked the element in which the film shines. The film succeeds in drawing the audience into the friendship between the main characters, played by Jim Sturgess and Anne Hathaway. Both characters find happiness and meaning in parts of their lives, while suffering through other portions without attaining goals they've set for themselves; i.e., this is real life.

What the poorly-rating reviewers seek is escapism. In my view--however limited--this film aims to depict two human beings as they learn, grow, and fall in and out of touch with one another. Thus, don't expect any fairy tales here and don't punish the rating on this movie because it isn't a fairy tale!

A predictable conclusion to this movie would place Sturgess and Hathaway side by side, married, and living together untouched by the trials of a realistic relationship. Instead, the director effectively and with calculation showcases some of life in the scenes and merely hints at events not shown on the screen. As the film narrates exclusively through one date each year (hence, the name), partial narratives are expected. The final third of the film, shunned by a few reviewers, elevated the creative vision of the story because it introduces the unpredictable nature of real life into a movie that was otherwise a run-of-the-mill romance. Again, speaking in terms of the development between characters, the movie is above average. Speaking in terms of storyline, the first two-thirds, to a certain degree, lack what the final third delivers: surprise!

The juxtaposition of the present with the past near the end of this film makes the events even more potent than they would have been. Audience members who do not fall into the "half-wit" category can follow the story, regardless of what the viewers who read the novel state in their reviews. Bravo! Lastly, Anne Hathaway is exceedingly lovely.

Better than I had anticipated

Author: queen_of_naboo88 from Luxembourg
19 August 2011

I went to see One Day last night, and though I had been looking forward to it for a while, I was surprised at how good it actually is.

The film has a very unique atmosphere, as it is much quirkier than your average romance. Also, without giving away the ending, I can say that it isn't as predictable as one might think. What I really liked about it was the complexity of the different human relationships that we are shown. The relationship between Emma and Dexter is by no means an easy one, nor is it one-sided. Given how different they are, there is a lot of conflict between them, although they do love each other. Similarly, what Dexter and his ex-wife feel for one another is never pure hatred, but there is a lot of understanding between them. As a consequence, the story seems like it could be taken from real life.

Plus, both Hathaway and Sturgess are as convincing as always, which makes this film absolutely worth seeing.

Was thoroughly enjoyed

Author: francine-k
20 August 2011

I had watched "One Day" yesterday and was beyond excited because I had read the novel by David Nicholls, which was fantastic. The movie base's around 2 people and their twenty years together, shown only through one day, July 15th. I thought the plot was unique and was a very realistic romance. Sometimes it takes people a lot to lose to realize what life is about, and how certain people are truly important to you. The movie was cute, funny, and quite sad at times. I thought Anne Hathaway did an okay job on the accent, to me it was odd at first but after a couple minutes I had gotten used to it. Her acting was great and you can really see her changing as the years progress. Jim Sturgess was great and in my opinion really portrayed Dexter the best as possible, with the arrogance and attitude exactly as I imagined Dexter would have. In my own opinion the movie was a great watch, was a romance that I had been dying for ever sense The Notebook. Finally a tear jerking but smile at the end movie, that really anyone can enjoy, if your looking for a romance movie.

Great love story

Author: sdebord3136 from Puyallup, WA
20 November 2011

I was pleasantly surprised by this film. I thought this was going to be another chick flick with a guy flirting with a girl but I found it was an amazing love story that spans 2 decades and gives a glimpse of what true love could really be.

Anne H. was great for this because she is a timeless beauty that played her role through the years wonderfully, and Jim S. did a great job evolving with his character through immaturity to understanding. The European setting was beautiful and added to the scenes from the city to country side building the romance of it all.

I wish I would have seen it sooner :)

Lovely, just lovely.... Anne Hathaway does it again!

Author: Jimmy Collins from United States
3 September 2011

Words cannot describe how wonderful an actress Anne Hathaway is, and in One Day she is in fine form, if there ever was an actress to go down in the history books among the greats it would be her. Jim Sturgess is quite a charming devil swell.

The story that takes place in One Day is at moments the anti love story and other times a sweeping epic romance, even though this movie has been adapted from a book it's still a lot more original than other romantic themed films of late. Lone Scherfig definitely suits this style of English romance, starting with An Education and now this, it may sound mean but I just don't think the romantic dramas that come from the U.S have the same genuine feel that the English films do.

I had read the book and i have to say that this is a very loyal adaptation, much of the beauty from the book is clear and present here, particularly the friendship aspect between Dex and Emma, in the book it's a quirky kind of friendship and it transferred well on the screen as, I was very pleased that the film makers didn't ruin that with a cheap silly sexual type of friendship.

I could say a lot about how lovely this movie is but I think I'll let everyone make up their own mind. A lot of people have a bad opinion of this movie which I find baffling but I suppose each to their own, I just got totally wrapped up in this gorgeous romance.

10 out of 10

Love story of the year!

Author: Achyuta Ghosh from Gurgaon, India
23 November 2011

Disclaimer first up- biased review, as I am a sucker for love stories.

I used to think that Hollywood had stopped making emotionally involving love stories. Thank god they made One Day, then. Based on the best selling book by British author Dave Nicholls, the movie explores the intertwined lives of two protagonists of contrasting nature, yet fated to be together. The premise is novel, with the relationship explored though a peek into 15th July of each year, spread over 22 years.

Good stories are brought to life by good acting, and here we have two superb exponents in lead roles- Jim Sturgess as Dexter and Anna Hathaway as Emma. Dexter leads the high profile life, a television anchor with success in all forms chasing him, always. But then his life is also hollow, his friends shallow, and in the end, a faces disillusionment and compromise. Emma dwells in obscurity mostly, but through sheer tenacity and belief achieves a modicum of success as a writer. They meet when they are 18, decide to remain lifelong friends, and they do remain so. In the meanwhile meandering through the vagaries of life, they are inexorably drawn towards each other, dependent on each other.

Childhood sweethearts, even if long lost, when they do come together, they do get together without any questions asked- i say this having witnessed the same on a close friend of mine. And you cant help but fall in love with Emma and Dexter- their love story is so compelling and adorable, that you become a part of their story, you care for them, you laugh with them, and also cry, you want them to do what you would do, and yes, you desperately want a happy ending for them.

And of course there is Anna Hathaway-suitably rumpled and grunge in the first half, and elegance and grace personified in the second, when she flashes her pearly whites, the world seems to be a better place to live.

Why do people in love get to be in love in the best of locations? One Day happens in picturesque Edinburgh, colourful London, and stylish Paris. And the best thing that makes it stand out among all love stories is that it is not predictable, till the very end.

People and things change with time, but memories remain the same.- here's a movie that raises a toast to happy memories, a Must watch for mushy folks!

This film tells the story of Emma & Dexter, meeting at the same date, every year in their lives.

Author: Ayman Samsudin from Aberdeen, Scotland
24 November 2011

People keep saying that movie adaptations from novels are usually not the same. Some are bad, some are okay, but in this case, it was beautiful. Lots of credit goes to David Nicholls for his excellent screenplay. Everything was PERFECT. Timeline, storyline and even the small details was well written. The acting was impeccable too. What about Anne Hathaway's accent? No problems there. Jim Sturgess plays the character Dexter perfectly. Most people would say that The Notebook is the top romantic teary eyed film. I tell them this: One Day is way better. It shows that two people can have friendship, loyalty, affection and love continuously. Watch it. Whether you have read the book or not, you will fall in love with Dexter & Emma !

By sticking to the novel, the movie loses the connection to the characters

Author: napierslogs from Ontario, Canada
19 August 2011

"One Day", based on the novel of the same name, is the relationship of two people, Emma (Anne Hathaway) and Dexter (Jim Sturgess), as we see it on July 15th of each year. As can be expected from the nature of the story, it's a little dry, lacking in comedy. But then again, it's a romantic drama, not a romantic comedy.

As is the nature of the two media, movies can never be exactly the same as the novel. But the problem with this one is that they tried to; no story lines were removed. Almost everything was there, just shortened into mostly meaningless segments. I personally could have done with one less event in their lives, and perhaps a different ending, but they tried to be as faithful as possible.

What we have here is a movie about a relationship, but the novel was about the people. They traded in character depth and development so we can see them in their more attractive years falling in and out of love.

I wasn't very familiar with Jim Sturgess, having seen him play skinny, slightly nerdy, not as confident kids. Dexter is a different breed of guy. Just has high on self-confidence as he is on drugs and alcohol, he gets by on his looks – literally – he's a TV host. Although the different characteristics of Dexter weren't explicitly shown in the movie, Sturgess brought them out in him perfectly. Emma is a more complex character, with significant evolution to who she is throughout the years, except none of that is in the movie, so it just wasn't really possible for Hathaway to portray her as a more interesting person.

I would assume that watching "One Day" without the benefit of having read the novel would be a fairly confusing, empty experience. With the background that the novel gave me, I could fill in all the missing years and the unexplored layers to the characters, so there was still something to their relationship for me.

Beautiful movie

Author: 851222 from Lithuania
16 October 2011

Greetings from Lithuania.

I don't watch romantic movies often, but when i heard about story of "One day" i thought of giving it a chance. And it sure didn't disappoint me. This is a really good love story, told in a single day in a year in period of 23 years. Movie is beautifully filmed, with great acting by the two leads, especially from Anne Hathaway. She's just so ... beautiful in every meaning of this word. Can't wait to see her next summer in "TDKR". "One day" isn't your typical Hollywood love story and you can clearly FEEL that watching it.

Give this movie a chance and you can be really surprised that when this movie will end, you'll fell your self a little ... brighter.

Page 1 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]