IMDb > Division III: Football's Finest (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Division III: Football's Finest

What a waste of - well, everything

Author: Tomlonso from Kalamazoo MI
23 February 2015

Unless for some reason you really, really want to see Andy Dick naked, there is no reason to watch this movie. The worst part about it is that I can't un-see it. The best part . . . well, I must have missed that.

And it comes so close. So many of the jokes are almost there, but like a pass that slips through the receiver's hands, they never connect. The jokes that do connect are at best mildly amusing with punchlines telegraphed yards before delivery.

The concept has a lot of promise. Psycho coach in a Division III football program that is on its last legs. Should have, could have worked. It's easy to understand why people signed on to do the movie. What is less clear is why they aren't suing to keep it under wraps.

Watch "Major League" instead. It's essentially the same movie but without the naked Dick.

Sport's comedy at it's finest! (Contain Spoiler)

Author: whatsup-lizard from United States
16 December 2012

This review contains a spoiler. This movie was very funny. It had me lol throughout the movie. I cannot think of too many sport films that are funny like "Division III: Football's Finest." I can definitely see myself watching this movie again. The coach is funny and the players are terrified of his tactics to coach the team. The coach is crazy, but what other choice does the Division 3 school have. The schools football program is in jeopardy, so they either go big or lose the media attention that the school needs to be successful. The movie seems to be centered around comedy, but I can see how it also focuses on the main idea for the team to win many important games. He needed help and he eventually got it through a determined defensive or offensive coordinator.

Not Just For Hardcore Dick Fans

Author: Sparky73 from Canada
23 February 2012

Division II: Football's Finest pulls off a minor miracle given the budget, which according to Marshall Cook, ran to hundreds of thousands rather than millions. Avoiding the cheese of Friday Night Lights, it gives a gag-filled twist to the age old come-from-behind sports movie in the form of berserk coach Rick Vice, played by comic madman Andy Dick, and his assistant coach, played by hilarious scene-stealer Paul Henderson. The duo stand out amid a fine cast, thanks to some creative swearing, inspired improvisation and good old fashioned physical violence.

Writers Marshall Cook, Paul Henderson and Andy Dick playfully subvert lots of sports film clichés while sticking to a well-loved formula. The football scenes are beautifully shot, and it's laugh-out-loud funny. The endlessly quotable dialogue and Andy Dick's insane turn make it an instant cult classic.

I'm not a fan of Dick but this movie had me craving more!!!

Author: kingofsoloman from US
6 September 2013

Let's be perfectly clear about this movie, it is a Division III movie just like the school they play for. However this is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen in my life. Andy Dick shines as the lunatic coach and carries this movie on his back. His lines alone make this movie worth seeing. He embodies every football coach cliché ever thought of and takes them beyond reality but in the most realistic way. The rest of the cast drop clever one liners and hit all their marks in probably one of the most unexpected comedy classic movies ever created. You might not ever see any of these actors again in a movie but they can rest assured knowing that they made a great one that should be considered as a cult classic movie!!!

This movie was non-stop funny...

Author: amazingrobie from Houston, TX
29 January 2013

For such a low rating I was expecting something terrible, but what I got was side splitting humor...literally choked with funny dialogue and situations. The fact that it's a football movie and I hate sports, yet I loved every minute of it speaks volumes to me. I don't think that Andy Dick gets enough work in Hollywood, because without his delivery, I can see the dialogue falling flat and not being anywhere near as humorous. I loved the movie 'Jack & Jill' with Adam Sandler, so if you didn't like that, chances are you won't like this either, but seriously, I laughed from beginning to end. The coffee cup with an image of Hitler that had the text 'FAIL' on it was some of the detail that made me laugh sooo much. More comedy writers/directors should pay attention to the small gags because it's that sort of thing that pays off upon repeat viewings for the slower viewers. If you don't find the movie that's fine, humor is subjective, as is beauty, and I'm glad everyone has different views otherwise we'd all be chasing after the same things. Enjoy this one if you can.

One of the Funniest Movie Ever Made!

Author: shominy-491-652355 from United States
21 July 2013

We totally agree with IMDb user amazingrobie. We are not sports fans at all and have not been particularly thrilled with any of the sports movies we've seen through the years, until this one, which we nicknamed "GET SOME!" We rented it, practically died laughing from beginning to end, then had to buy it and have watched it at least three more times! (A word of warning: Do not eat/drink while watching this movie!) Every aspect of Andy Dick's character (Coach Rick Vice), including his goatee, clothes, squeaky knee brace, accent, eye rolling, creative foul language, bicycle throwing, twisted logic, and the torture he puts the players through - is absolutely hilarious! We were literally crying from laughter throughout this movie, and that is very, very rare for us. There are so many quotable lines in this movie that we say almost on a daily basis! We have loved Andy Dick in many movies (including the great "Danny Roane: First-Time Director" and superb "Rock Slyde") and, of course, "Newsradio," and, as a guest star on TV shows, he is a scene stealer, but this is our favorite part he has ever played! The writing and directing and editing are genius! And Paul Henderson is hilarious as Coach Vice's assistant! (BTW, don't miss the gag reel on the DVD - you'll be in tears again from laughing, especially the scene outside with Andy and Paul!) This film deserves more than 10 stars! "GET SOME!"

Editing 101: This Film Shines

Author: bababadnews-151-119132
23 May 2013

The pacing of this film is just brilliant and I have to say the editors are probably just as much to thank as the writers, actors or directors. Perhaps even more so.

Andy Dick and Greg Fitzsimmons shine as always but you can sorta tell they were allowed to go off-script as much as they wanted. Someone in the editing room knew exactly when to cut the scenes without letting things drag out.

I'm a little shocked the ratings here on IMDb aren't a tad higher. I really enjoyed this film and I'm not one to watch sports related films in general. In my opinion it's a laugh-a-minute riot. Juvenile? Yes, but that's what I was expecting from a comedy centered around college football.

Just a completely bad movie

Author: bloodroses75
12 November 2014

It's football season again, so I looked online to see what is recommended besides the usual top movies to get my seasonal football movie fix.This one was listed as one of the 25 best. Boy were they wrong. The movie is supposed to be a comedy, but all the comedy bits were just idiotic. This is Andy Dick at his worst. They cast him to be this crazy football coach who physically abuses his players every other scene; like chasing the players on a bike; poking them with the first down marker. How is this supposed to be considered funny? At least they got the crazy part right in hiring Andy Dick to play the role. The movie even tries to copy the formulas that other movies use to do well; but fails at that as well. At least with the other movies, you were left with a feel good feeling at the end; not a 'whatever, you just wasted my time' feeling like this one does. If you need a fix to watch a football movie this season, re-watch one of the greats instead. At least you'll having a satisfying feeling afterwords.

An amazing storyline showcasing the madcap exploits of an underdog Div.III football program and it's new head coach.

Author: Gary Flank from United States
14 January 2012

For being a low budget film this movie, surprisingly had several big name stars in it. Most notably Andy Dick,Will Sasso,Adam Corolla, and the always amazing Sally Kirkland. Any true fan of college sports and zany comedies will find enjoyment here. From the over the top antics of the ragtag teammates to the actual actors running the plays while filming the actual games. The movie is one of the better college comedies I have seen as of late and I highly recommend it to all. The crude head coach as written and played by Andy Dick could not have been topped by anyone else, he shines in this undertaking. I find my self still chuckling at his one liners and antics days after watching this movie. I can't wait to add this hidden gem to my DVD collection,and watch this again!

not as horrible as i thought

Author: Richard P. Gerstberger from Arizona
6 April 2013

When i attempt to review a movie, i often feel it's necessary to observe my (at the moment) state of mind. It was a 'do nothing' Sunday afternoon, and i was too lazy to mow the yard. My run-in with this coin flipper was purely by accident, but after 20 min or so, i warmed up to the idea that i was too lazy to locate the missing remote. I was somewhat surprised that i would finish the entire 1:39. I would suggest a few warm-up beers before giving this film your undivided attention, because even by "Andy Dick" standards, his character is hard to watch. Don't expect too much, and you might throw a chuckle. Doesn't surprise me that it took only 3 weeks to make this movie, so the production cost was an obvious issue. How's about if i just raise my thumb slightly for this non-Oscar winning reel.