IMDb > The Shunning (2011) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Shunning

The Shunning (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Could have been done much better

Author: erinsm from United States
16 April 2011

I understand the idea that this is a Hallmark movie and it was probably done in a way that would not offend the Amish. That being said, the movie doesn't do justice to Lewis' book on a whole. The plot feels very rushed, and it appears as if Hallmark was trying not to offend the Amish with their portrayals. In the movie, as compared to in the book, even Katie's shunning seems to happen much too quickly. The flashbacks lack the meat that appeared in the novel, and the portrayal of the community was very stiff. I was unable to appreciate the movie itself because I've been so busy expecting it to be close to the book. Hopefully if Hallmark decides to continue the series it will be done in better continuity with the novels.

Excellent family friendly drama you can watch with the whole family.

Author: nmckeon from United States
19 April 2011

Absolutely lovely story about the coming of age of a young adopted woman. Especially impressed with the performances of Danielle Panabaker, who really nailed the Amish accent, and newcomer David Topp, who I hope will be brought back in what is sure to be a series of wonderful, family friendly movies. We are looking forward to the rest of the series.

Would like to congratulate Michael Landon Jr. for choosing a terrific cast and crew, the beautiful filming of the movie makes it even more enjoyable. Also enjoyed the look inside the Amish culture, and, while I realize it may not all be exactly accurate, it is a compelling story which kept our whole family interested. We will be very disappointed if Hallmark does not decide to continue and finish the series. Would really like to see the same cast back for continuity, and because they were all really great!

I loved it!

Author: deann3 from United States
19 April 2011

I don't care how accurate the film adaption of the Amish life is or whether the characters really look Amish. I think most people are not familiar with those details and are more concerned with how the film made them feel and was there a good story. I thought the story was very interesting, relate able and heartwarming. I haven't seen a film this moving in a long time. The best part of the movies is that it is a film my 10 year old daughter could watch. I thought the cast did an exceptional job, I especially liked the boy who played Daniel, David Topp. He is adorable and I think my daughter has found her new "teen idol". Would love to see what happens next. I am definitely going to buy the book.

Disappontment?

Author: dldnfoote from United States
17 September 2011

I bought this movie simply because Sherry Stringfield was listed in the cast. I watched it with my 16 year old daughter who is also adopted. She loved the story. I loved the premise of the story. We even found the whole illegal adoption part to be believable. I am also versed in Amish tradition but did not allow anything to detract from the story being told. I was disappointed because there were so many things left hanging. I would have loved to see more in regards to the Bishop's family dynamics. I would have loved to know more about how Laura went from dire straits to heiress. I really would have loved to see a physical connection with Laura and Katie to see where that relationship would have gone. And I really, really would have loved seeing Daniel and Katie finding each other again. Guess I am going to have to read the book. Sigh. However, many MANY kudos to Michael Landon, Jr. for attempting to bring back family friendly television viewing. He succeeded in MY house.

Great Family Movie

Author: eeyore89-36-332271 from United States
24 April 2011

Having read all the books in the series, I was really looking forward to this movie. Many people have complained about the fact that this movie did not follow the books. I think most movies that are made from books are quited different from the books themselves. Still, even though the book and the movie were quite different from each other I thought the movie was wonderful! The characters were very believable and if you just enjoy the movie without thinking of the book I think you will find it extremely enjoyable. I myself hope they continue on with the series and make each one into a movie. Even the Love's series by Janet Oke were quite different once put into a movie. Still, it is a great family movie and one that the whole family can watch without blushing or worrying about language. I am thankful for movies like this that prove you can have a good movie without all the trash. Keem em coming!!

OK-ish

Author: mizbirch from United States
17 April 2011

As a resident of Lancaster County, I admit that I watch Amish-based movies for mistakes! 1) Shutters on an Amish farmhouse? Wrong. They don't use shutters.

2) Everyone much too pretty and handsome. (Except for Katie Lapp, who had a reason.) 3) The Amish adults are more likely to look the other way when their young adults experiment with "English" ways. And considering what some of the Amish kids get up to, I suspect most Amish parents would offer loud prayers of thanksgiving if all their sons or daughters did was sing "English" songs and play the guitar! 4) The Amish do not baptize their children -- that comes later, as an adult decision. Young people are expected to make the decision to join the congregation or not. They generally make this decision when they marry and THEN -- they join the church. Anyone who decides not to join the church is still considered to be a beloved member of the family, even if they go over to "English ways" and THEY WILL NOT BE SHUNNED. (especially if they own a car!) "Shunning" only takes place if you join the congregation and THEN leave. The movie does not make it clear whether Katie Lapp had joined the church or not. If she hadn't -- her shunning made no sense. (Not that it really did anyway...) 5) What's with the stilted speech of the Amish? I've heard them speak perfectly colloquial English. I'd really like to see an "Amish" movie spoken in Pennsylvania German dialect with subtitles! 6) The city standing in for Lancaster, PA? Lancaster, PA looks like that in its dreams... In real life, it has few retail stores and more Hispanic people in its downtown area.

What they got right.

The countryside looked authentic and so did the interiors. I've been in Amish kitchens and kitchens and the art director got it exactly right.

There IS an oppressive (to non-Amish minds) emphasis on getting married young, having babies, and waiting on your husband. For that reason, there are a lot of Amish women who do not get married, go to work and keep their money for themselves.

I agree with an earlier comment in that I kept waiting for Daniel to reappear. I think he staged his death.

Must admit that I want to read the book now!

Production Needs To Do Much Better Research

Author: sdaven5191 from The Great Midwaste
7 May 2011

Today is the first opportunity I have had to watch this movie, and so far I am in the middle of it and enjoying it a great deal. HOWEVER, there is one glaring error made in costuming the actors who are playing the parts of the Amish people.

All sects of Amish and most sects of Mennonites do not wear any kind of jewelry whatsoever, including and especially wedding bands. I have so far seen four actors playing Amish parts wearing gold wedding bands. The actor playing Katie's father is wearing a very wide gold band, and the mother has on a narrower band. The older Amish lady Katie goes to talk to early on after she has found out about her parentage is also wearing a gold wedding band, and another hand was seen wearing one, but I'm not sure who it belonged to because of the way the scene was shot and edited.

This should be something that is very basic to know about the Amish people, if one does even the most basic research on how these people live and worship. Strongly recommend that much closer attention be paid to such details if future productions are being planned.

This one sure leaves a lot of unresolved issues and plot holes.

Author: jalapenoman from United States
17 April 2011

Okay, this was kind of mediocre up until the end, when it left everything hanging and did not resolve several of the major plot points. Are we looking at a series of films here?

Unresolved issues included:

1. Does she get to see her mother before she dies?

2. Do her parents and the busy body midwife get into trouble for violating the shunning?

3. If her former boyfriend who taught her how to play the guitar (and who she promised to marry) still actually alive and living in a city somewhere? We are told that he drowned and that they never recovered the body, but he obviously wanted "out." (and where did he ever get that guitar in the first place?)

4. Will she, if she returns, end up with The Bishop?

Another thing... the shunning itself happened for the wrong reasons. You don't shun someone just because they left you at the altar and have some unresolved issues with their parents. This seemed like a contrived way to move along the plot.

In reality, the Amish are a very forgiving people. They would not treat someone like this girl was treated for such minor things.

Overall, I'd say that this was a very weak 4/10 (and that is probably being generous).

Not bad

Author: marinesdaughtr from United States
17 April 2011

Overall, this was a good movie and I really enjoyed it. However, I didn't like how it differed from the book in some aspects that are very important to the plot. I've read all three books in the series, so was excited to see the movie. I agree with a previous reviewer in that it does seem to be a bit rushed. Except for some things like wedding bands (real Amish don't wear any jewelry), it wasn't too Hollywood-ized. I expected it to vary from the book because every movie based on I book that I've seen did except for Band of Brothers. I do hope that Hallmark will continue with the series this year and not make us wait a couple of years for the next one as with the Sarah Plain and Tall series.

Taken as Is, Beautiful and Enjoyable

Author: jduchene from United States
30 May 2012

I haven't read the book, or can I testify to accuracy of place, clothing, habits, or accents. However, as a movie, I was thoroughly entranced by everything about this production. I thought that all the actors inhabited their characters with exquisite taste, delicacy, restraint, and heart. To me, the accents rolled off their tongues with ease and never felt forced. The casting for everyone felt perfect. Having seen other Danielle Panabaker movies, I feel this is her best one. I completely believed that an Amish girl could be this beautiful, spiritual, natural, loyal, and torn. She lived next door to me when she was a toddler/pre-schooler, and I have memories of her at my front door, and the feeling that she had the most arresting eyes and prettiest lips that I had ever seen on a child. She still looks the same and her face is especially expressive in this role. I'd highly recommend this movie. It will leave you with a warm feeling and you will not feel like you wasted an hour and a half of your life as do so many movies.