IMDb > I Want Your Money (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
I Want Your Money

I Want Your Money More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Typical propaganda disguised as "conversation"

Author: angelslave69 from United States
11 October 2010

This movie is very convincing, in that it doesn't come out swinging. It slips in your back door, tries to make you feel at home, says "don't you remember the 80's? Yeah, those were good times..." It uses the words of two presidents, while utterly ignoring the fact that words and actions are usually worlds apart in politics. It makes Reagan seem like a free market godsend while ignoring the fact the government grew under his control, or that the deficit grew under his control. It ignores the fact that the current economic downturn is rooted in Reaganomics, and that any government attempt to influence this downturn requires money, that any businessman will tell you "you have to spend money to make money." It fails to mention the republicans that have come after Reagan, who have also expanded federal government size and spending. It paints one side as right, and the other as utterly wrong; it turns a gray, nuanced problem into a typical "black or white, you're with us or against us" argument. It's pure propaganda, financed by someone who wants your money. It fails to mention that free market is a ruler of sorts, that companies want your money just as badly as the government does. It fails to mention America's history of abuse at the hands of corporations, the bleak world of "free market" in the 19th and early 20th century, a time before weekends, vacation, raises, or benefits of any kind. Rather than explore what each side means, it expects you to sit down and agree. And some people will, which is sad. Rather than explore any actual solutions, it suggests that you just kind of agree with the message. And while you're not looking, it helps itself to that money in your cookie jar. And that makes it better than what it argues against?

Yay! A 42% Tax cut for the rich!

Author: bromsk from Denver
21 October 2010

Talking about spending and without discussing how so called conservatives slashed revenue tells only half the story. Aside from WW2, we paid our bills up until Reagan.

Lyndon Johnson (D) cut taxes for the top bracket from 90% to 70% in 1964.

***Reagan and Bush 41 cut taxes on the top bracket from 70% to 28% from 1980-1986. That's a 42% tax cut for the wealthiest Americans.***

Clinton (D)raised taxes on the top bracket from 28 to 39%. We ran a budget surplus from 1998-2001.

Bush 43 created Dept. Homeland Security (huge) installed the unfunded prescription drug benefit, $700 billion in debt by 2015, and cut taxes for the top bracket to 35% during two wars (?)

Obama (D) wants to raise taxes 4% on the top bracket. If that helps us pay our bills, fine. I'm upper middle class. I can handle 4% more taxes to live in a balanced budget USA.

For the millionaires and billionaires who don't want to do their part, there's always Dubai. 90% up to 1964 and 70% up to 1981 seems draconian, but 39% isn't anything to cry about. We have the fifth lowest taxes in the developed world.

Why anyone in the US middle class would be so horny for Reagan has always baffled me. He talked a good game while he screwed us.

If 'conservatives' are so into personal responsibility, how about paying for the roads, bridges, schools, social security, and national security we all use, rather than borrowing tax cuts from our two time 20th Century proxy war opponent?

Interesting Slant way to take a Gray area and make it Black & White

Author: mdpollack from United States
19 October 2010

The Movie shows only the highlights of the Reagan administration and ignored the Surplus Clinton left. It neglected to mention the fact that Regan actually raised taxes once it realized that it was necessary. The movie makes fun of Nixon and ignores all of Reagans failings such as the Olie North debacle and Savings and Loan collapse. The is always more then one way to govern and in an extremely complex world there are no simple answers and until the two major parties work together all will can look forward to is years of bickering and failure.

The movie is a perfect recruiting tool for the Tea party but the one sided view of a complicated issue does nothing to enhance the dialog but just adds to the already splinted electorate.

United we stand...

Author: wintermancer from United States
15 May 2011

I remember a time when we as a people trusted in each other and upheld the notion of a person's character until proved otherwise. We trusted our government perhaps naively because we assumed others were like ourselves. We saw ourselves and others as decent and moral beings.

We don't do that much anymore. Look to this little piece of propaganda to understand why. Watch it to understand the politics of division and manipulation.

To get to the truth, do as the film suggests and follow the money. The characters in this cast have done pretty well for themselves by attacking and dividing, by slander and derision, and by inciting others to attack the foundations of our democracy. We were not always like that. We once had a good country, a wholesome spirit, and we believed in each other.

So watch this film. Ask what the makers of this film want from you. Do they want to build or destroy? Build trust or destroy it? Build a better nation or destroy it? Benefit you or benefit them? An examination of the message and intent of this film does indeed reveal that you cannot trust anybody anymore. Thus they succeed no matter what you believe.

But it's MY money

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
23 June 2011

A Conservative documentary in the world of film today is an extreme rarity. The fact that this movie was theatrical is amazing as well. Usually, this is the type of documentary Fox News puts out. Boasting a 0% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and being either a love it/hate it documentary, I Want Your Money isn't groundbreaking, but does bring good points to light and is fairly easy for a person lacking government knowledge, like myself, to get into.

The argument is simple; the people want maximum freedom and minimum government. Filmmaker Ray Griggs is very likable with his calm and laidback tone throughout the film. He proves to the Left that you can be a Republican and be softspoken. People like Rush Limbaugh aren't typical Republicans. A lot of them can be very opinionated, but others, like Griggs, can be mature and direct about the whole issue.

I Want Your Money contrasts Reagan's government policies with Obama's government policies dubbed 'Reaganomics" and "Obamanomics." One is pro-Capitalism the other is pro-Socialism. Both have completely different views of the perfect America.

Several people like Mike Huckabee, Newt Gingrich, Lila Rose, Gary Bauer, and others give their insight on the topics presented like The Stimulus Plan and how it was one of the shadiest plans ever passed and multiple other topics. Ray Griggs narrates the film and is quiet but stern saying "hey, it's your money they're spending." This has been called a piece of propaganda, but isn't every political documentary in a way? One could call Fahrenheit 9/11 a piece of Democratic propaganda. The definition of propaganda is biased and sometimes misleading information used in a political event. Fahrenheit 9/11 doesn't tell the whole truth and neither does this.

While Reagan, a cut throat but successful president, did force many Americans off of Welfare, he also is responsible for increasing taxes at points of his presidency and making the government very large which is one of the biggest problems in this nation. I Want Your Money neglects to mention every detail.

For a documentary, it is satirical and funny. It utilizes computer animated clips of Presidents like Obama, Reagan, Clinton, Nixon, both Bush Sr. and Jr., and various other non presidents like Hilary and Palin. The clips portray the presidents as big headed and all living in the present day describing the current America, and even being taught by Reagan in a classroom using the aspect of Socialism. The cartoons are cute and honest.

My political knowledge is very small, but I have a basic understanding of the current and recent Presidents. As for Obama, I don't love him, but I respect him for a few reasons. I don't agree with Socialism and believe it could lead to one of the biggest downfalls in American history. I will say Barack Obama is very knowledgeable and an excellent speaker. He has a strict voice saying "I'm going to do this," but it doesn't come off as a harsh.

When asking me my political preference I can't say I'd choose either. I lean towards Conservative, but I would say I'm a minor Liberatarian. Maximum Freedom, Minimum Government is the way to go these days. Like said in I Want Your Money, if the government is big enough to give you everything they want, then the government is big enough to take whatever they want.

I could go on forever describing every word of my view on politics, but I refuse and stop myself. Politics are a stupid thing to argue over. It isn't worth a flame war or a diminished friendship. It isn't worth it at all. It's worth having a preference, but it isn't worth a fight. I Want Your Money is a good documentary. It doesn't deserve hate or anything close to it. It knows itself and stays true to its roots.

Starring: Mike Huckabee, Newt Gingrich, Lila Rose, and Gary Bauer. Directed by: Ray Griggs.

Left loves Moore but hates this ... figures ...

Author: stortzbj from United States
16 June 2011

The major issue about this film is simple in that it panders to the demographic it was made for. The funny thing is that most conservatives will openly admit that (and to be honest it doesn't even try to hide the fact the documentarian is a conservative) but at the same time "progressives", I guess they can't be called liberals anymore, accept Michael Moore completely.

Both "documentaries" have a transparent agenda yet this will be bashed by liberals and accepted by conservatives just as it is reversed in almost any Moore film .. I mean, honestly, why do we still call Moore films documentaries when it has been proved time and time and time again they have no resemblance of one ...

Great movie if you are conservative; progressives will hate it. Simple as that.

Bad Accounting

Author: b_brank from United States
2 April 2012

Really bad accounting about half way through the movie where they try to dispel the fact that most of the 2009 deficit was inherited from Bush policies. For instance they try shift a $410 billion omnibus spending bill to Obama. Folks, an omnibus spending bill is no more than an congressional appropriation for funding the departments of government that have been approved under a budget -- that 2009 budget was Bush's.** They add another $60 billion to Obama for the auto bail out. The auto bail monies were funded by Bush's TARP before Obama ever walked in the door. I'm surprised they didn't try to shift the cost responsibility of the wars to Obama. After all he was the Commander in Chief when they made this so called documentary.

** (Yes there was about $8 Bil in earmarks tacked on for Rep & Dems -- but let's ask Bush about how many earmarks he approved during his tenure)

Patronising, moronically religious, and one sided but makes some interesting points

Author: Mat from United Kingdom
28 September 2011

This movie opened by illustrating in a very compelling way, why redistribution of wealth might not be the unquestioned good thing that it at first appears. It did this using animated 3D political figures in a classroom setting and quite frankly, from the very off, the animation got in the way of the message. Ten stupid animated segments later, and I was as often left scratching my head and asking what the hell they were meant to be illustrating, as I was left irritated by this pandering to the Jackass generation.

Clearly this was not a remotely impartial piece, and whilst it desperately tried to demonstrate that allowing the rich to keep more of their taxes as a means of stimulating growth, it completely ignored the fact that many of the rich, such as bankers, already use their wealth to get tax breaks that the rest of us do not, to say nothing of the fact those same wealthiest few, are then the ones that the rest of the country gives YET MORE MONEY to in bailout when their out-of-control avarice manages to destroy the global economy.

No doubt the American economy is desperately broken, but a one-sided piece of disinformation like this, which looks the other way when the failings of the system it espouses are mentioned, is never going to help.

To climb out of the pit that the nation has slid into, everyone needs ALL of the information, not just self-serving selections of it.

Oh, if I see any more christians talking about "God given this", and "thanks to god that", I think I'm gonna puke. Anyone who still believes in bronze age sky daddies should not be trusted with grown up decisions.

As the saying goes, "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics". This movie demonstartes how easy it is to use one-sided statistics to prove black is white if you present them right.

All of that being said, it does seem fairly obvious to even the youngest child that borrowing at a rate beyond your absolute wildest hopes of repayment is a path to nowhere. No household with proportionally the same debt as the US, would ever be able to get a loan, and they'd be called crazily irresponsible for continuing to do so. So what deal with the devil is being done to lend money to the US?

propaganda

Author: rwa-12 from United States
17 June 2011

This is pure propaganda and not the entertaining kind either. As in all propaganda the statements that are presented as fact are half truths. The fact that Nixon, Regan and G. W. Bush's administrations were responsible for the biggest budget deficits in history was not even mentioned. This is pure fascist propaganda brought to you by the same people that have been pushing religion and any other mid evil practices they can come up with. There is no question that a small amount of money and time was spent on this project. If the premise was really fair and unbalanced then it could have been a good piece instead it is heavily biased and while the bias is subtle at first it becomes evident as the film wears on.

From somebody with no political affiliation

Author: treetherealest from United States
18 May 2011

I'm sure most people who watch this film already agree with what this film is set out to do. It only takes somebody aware of actual facts to immediately see that this film is a propaganda piece. An exaggerated one sided view which is extremely selective with what it allows in it. Don't expect opposing viewpoints. Don't expect any questioning of what is said. This film will most likely work well on converting Americans who are easily manipulated, can't catch hypocrisy, and have limited knowledge of how events actually went down over the course of history. For those who DO have that ability, you will find yourself wanting to scream at your TV and tell these people how things really are. I could sit here and pick apart many things in this film and try to do my best and let people have a better grasp on reality, but why would I? The facts are already out there. All they have to do is search with an open mind. I'm not saying voting democrat is the answer. They have their own issues as well. I've seen many propaganda films in my time, but this one will get any knowledgeable person really frustrated to know there are people out there eating this stuff up.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]