IMDb > Gaze (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

13 July 2010

"Gaze"

Looking at Gay Artistry

Amos Lassen

I predicted a while ago that Matt Riddlehoover would become a force to be reckoned with in the field of gay film and he constantly seems to be proving that. Now he ventures into the world of the documentary and in his new film, "Gaze", he looks at contemporary gay artists and gives us some very thought-provoking insights and some of them are very funny. Among the artists and entertainers he interviews are Salvador Cobrero Alarcon, Rob Beyond, Adam Bouska, Juanma Carrillo, Jerome Haffner, Matthias Herrmann, Ethan James, Albo Jeavons, Jules Julien, Karim Konrad, Bruce LaBruce, Ignacio Lozano, Sandro Mantovani, J David McKenney, Maykson Ribet, Alfredo Roagui, Nick San Pedro, Stuart Sandford, Bogdan Stanga, and Austin Young, Selene Luna, Jackie Beat, Lenora Claire, Chris Sutton and Derrick Barry. The film looks at the need to create as well as the creations themselves and why we are attracted to the. Riddlehoover says that he is inspired by people and the way that they behave. He celebrates gay art. Riddlehoover's commentary about the artists is provocative and what I love about this documentary is that there is something to be learned here. I personally was surprised at how much of the art I recognized here but never knew who produced it. Now it is nice to be able to put a name with it. __________________