IMDb > Beautiful Creatures (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Beautiful Creatures

Beautiful Creatures More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 28: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Completely underrated

Author: jamesjabbawalden from Australia
30 August 2014

I am dumbfounded as to why so many people have criticized this amazing film. In my view, it's right up there with the Hunger Games, The Craft,or The Princess Bride in terms of shear action-meets-fantasy-meets-romance, and is miles above the likes of the obvious competitor, Twilight. First, the cast alone is a sea of talent. For such an unknown film, you only have to read the IMDb cast list to see a who's who of three generations of incredible actors. Second, the setting of the film. If you're a True Blood fan, you'll love this film. Third, the plot itself. As a huge reader and a big film buff, it's rare that you find "original" story lines. Worse still, it's rare that you find a film that holds it's story without becoming predictable. This wasn't predictable. The story, about a young teen on the verge of her sixteenth birthday, in which she'll be forced succumb to either her light or her darkness, is remarkably well told, and holds it's worth throughout the film. I could write a load more here, but the bottom line is this is a great adventure/fantasy/action/romance film, that i personally have viewed again and again, and enjoyed each time. Watch it!

I was charmed by this movie

Author: chephrenb97
28 March 2014

I feel bad that this movie received mixed reviews from fans and critics alike because i was definitely hypnotized by everything this movie had to offer. It received bad reviews because the "impossible to please fans," that every movie receives you either stick too closely from the original source material or you use to little of the original to offer a new "fresh," version to the story. Either way you can't please everyone, i personally loved the film and its dark twist to the "star-crossed lovers romeo and Juliet," theme. I feel it honestly portrayed the southern lifestyle and the rejection of anyone who is a tad bit different, and the film has a strong sense of individualism and embracing your differences. the cast was chosen perfectly Englert, Thompson, Davis, Ehrenreich,Irons,Rossum, and Mann all bring interesting and different interpretations to their characters that make the movie enjoyable. I seriously hope they continue the franchise with the next book "Beautiful Darkness," and for the sake of the butt-hurt fans who want the movie to be exactly like the book they use more of the original source material. I felt truly satisfied after watching this movie and enjoyed this more than the Twilight movies.

my thoughts on this film

Author: nealdavies33 from United Kingdom
18 November 2013

I thought this film was great bit gutted about the ending wanted to see lena an ethan get together an I live in hope of a sequel I not a big reader but find my self compelled to buy the books. As for the cast I think the director could not have picked more fitting people for the rolls lena aka alice englert brought a charismatic sense of realism to her character I will be looking out for other titles she appeared in an emma Thompson well what can be said bout our much loved nanny McPhee the fact she throw her self in to her roll as she did in nanny McPhee and as I sure she dose in all her rolls but person who stole the lime light was most alice englert an also stole my heart lol hope we see a sequel with same cast great job cast an crew

Beautiful Mess

Author: alisasheree from New Orleans
29 September 2013

I've read many reviews on this film. Some good, some bad.... I suppose to those who haven't read the books this film was pretty awesome. To those of us who have read them this film leaves a lot to be desired. Some of my biggest issues with this film: ( SPOILER ALERT ) - the combination of the characters Amma & Marian. I enjoy both characters equally. How are we to even think about any sequels ? You've killed off Sarafine. Those horrid southern accents. Where is Boo? Speaking of Boo .. they were also suppose to be reading To kill a Mockingbird & Lena has her own copy. Mrs. English is not a man nor a history teacher. Macon is not a caster he is an incubus that feeds on dreams.Link's beater? The dance? Lucille? The sister's. Kelting..... etc n so on. I'm really displeased. I was looking forward to the best movie ever, since the series is so awesome. BIG...HUGE let down. I mean they basically re - wrote the book! I also don't think some of that casting is legit... I mean Lena has dark hair. This chick in the film has just flat brown hair, bordering on red. Btw, where is Ethan's dad in this film? I think if you plan to adapt a book for film, stick with what is written. I realize the authors were present at the time but they should be ashamed for letting so many of us readers down by allowing this film to be released in the state its in. Books get adapted into films frequently but at least most stick to the storyline. If I wanted to watch a witchy version of Twilight, I'd just pop in the DVD and re-watch that. The books are so much more entertaining. This movie bombed! I motion for a remake lol

Poorly done attempt at starting a franchise. I was quite disinterested in this one…

Author: callanvass from victoria b.c canada
29 September 2013

Man, between Twilight, this, and now The Host… I'm kind of burnt out on adaptations. This movie is a joyless experience. I was bored to tears through most of it. I've never read the book, so maybe my review for this is going to be a bit unfair, but this movie was very hard to get through. I realize this series has a big fan-base, but they just aren't for me. The character of Ethan himself is a tad dull as well at least he is in the movie. Alice Englert (Leana) is a bit more fun to watch, but her chemistry with Alden Ehrenreich felt off to me, and a little awkward to say the least. Reliable stars like Jeremy Irons & Viola Davis do what they have to do well. I didn't like this movie at all, and thankfully. For the time being at least, there appears to be no sequel in the works because it bombed at the box office

3.5/10

A little bit of everything....left me satisfied and wanting more

Author: soulbound from United States
25 September 2013

In short, this movie took me on a journey, kept me engaged, and I even watched it a second time later and enjoyed it as much as the first viewing.

I'm not a Twilight fan, so I was hesitant if this was going to be a copycat movie, but it was nothing like it. In fact, it was TONS better than Twilight. It involved sophisticated acting and if it were a bottle of wine, I'd say it had notes of "Carrie" and "The Notebook" in the storyline.

The actors weren't gimmicky, overly publicized or overly paid models. There was a realness to them, but it was the average quality about them that made the story all the more compelling. Alden Eherenreich's (Ethan Wate's) laugh was genuine. Alice Englert's (Lena Duchanne's) eyes were expressive. Emmy Rossum (Ridley Duchannes) did a stellar job of acting where she is almost unrecognizable from her Phantom days. To me, it's the little details that make a movie good.

The movie serves up mysticism, forbidden love, nostalgia, and a bit of humor with a touch of scary. It was believable and nothing in it went over the top. The best part about it is the southern style it's set in which gives the perfect ambiance, from the accents, to the backdrops, to giving the storyline more credibility. There are a few surprising twists, and overall, everything just flows smoothly. Great balance in acting all around. Duration and pacing of the moving was perfect. I almost felt like Johnny Depp was missing from this, with the dark, slightly weird undertones this movie has. I would love to see a sequel to this.

This movie SUCKS

Author: ronci-johnson from Louisville, Kentucky
8 September 2013

This movie is by far the WORST book to movie adaptation I've ever seen in my life! I loved the books but this movie should be scrapped and placed in the trash! I think they should just wait another six years and start over again with a genuine adaptation series. I find it really hard to believe that the movie had a 60 million dollar budget! It seemed like some low-budget, over-hyped, B-rated movie! I was so disappointed by a movie based off of one of my favorite book series. Not only did the writers completely DESTROY the entire story line, they got rid of A TON of key characters that would make it next to impossible to continue the entire story passed the first book! I for one feel like they didn't even bother actually reading the book they just had their kid tell them about it and after brain storming this is what they came up with. Not to mention the actors were TERRIBLE for the most part. Whoever did the casting for this movie needs to be cast out of Hollywood onto a raft with NOTHING to help them survive.

Disappointing is an understatement!

Author: marianlouise1990 from Wales
1 September 2013

I started reading the books after reading a lot of terrific reviews about the series on GoodReads.com. I immediately fell in love with Lena and Ethan, Macon, Link, Marian, Amma, the 3 sisters just to name a few! The story was well thought out and gripping. When I learnt they were adapting it into a film I was so excited and was counting down the days until it's release. I only wish I could have predicted how awful the adaption was going to be! Half the characters were missing (e.g. Marian, the 3 sisters)and they were characters that play a key role in the original plot. I didn't find the actors very convincing, and it just wasn't beautiful creatures!!! I spent the entire movie telling my partner (who hasn't read the books) that "this was missing here" and "that doesn't happen in the book" and was pretty much annoyed through out. But my partner being an individual who had not read the book thoroughly enjoyed the movie! I'm not sure they can carry on with the series considering the ridiculous ending! And if they do miraculously find a way I won't be getting my hopes up!!!!

Awful book to film interpretation

Author: raccattack from Spain
29 August 2013

The title says it all! I had the film before i read the books but as i usually do i bought the books and read the first then the night after i had finished the whole series i tucked my 3 year old in to bed grabbed a cornetto from the freezer and sat down ready to be engrossed and thrilled from beginning till end........well this did not happen!!!! I was so disappointed, this could have been the next twilight or hunger games series, the books have so much detail and so many twists and turns you loose yourself in them but this just skipped and messed around with the story and made too many short cuts, i couldn't believe what i was watching! I never usually do reviews i felt this let me down that much that i just had to say something, but please please people who have seen the film and are put off of ready the books Don't BE!! THE BOOKS ARE FANTASTIC!!

Terrible

Author: Jeramy Toombs Jr.
27 August 2013

This movie is nothing like the books!!! The book is about Lena getting her powers and how the casters live and all of this other stuff!!! Not the love! The love is a bonus to the story because Ethan is the love interested and the mortal looking into a world he never thought existed so to put it this way he is the outsider looking in. The book is nothing like the movie. I will say that i think they should remake it how the books go because this is not twilight. the books don't revolve around love this is more like hunger games more or less. So please don't watch this movie if you have not read the books because you will understand why the movie is not based off the books. How i put it to everyone i told about how this movie and the book are alike is the names, places, and 'love' interests are the same. But the movie is also missing a few main characters though so if you want to know what happens besides the 'love' story go read the books!