IMDb > Beautiful Creatures (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Beautiful Creatures

Beautiful Creatures More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Don't go expecting anything remotely similar to the book.

Author: ltackitt-601-445704 from United States
14 March 2013

So this movie is set in Gatlin...and the main characters are Ethan and Lena... and that is where the similarities to the book end. My friend and I recently read the book in preparation for going to the movie. We adored the book and were excited to see the film.

First, let me say that I have seen countless movie from book adaptations and, granted, they all stray. However, most of the time, there are just a few niggling details that bother me. This movie COMPLETELY lost the charm of the book it was adapted from. Every beautiful moment, every lovely detail was eliminated for cheap, CGI effects and cloying, pitiful attempts at romance.

While the performances were solid by some very talented actors, I have to wonder why they even accepted the parts??

The most glaring problems were the following: 1.) Amma and Marian fused into one character - WTF? 2.) Ethan portrayed as a lovable idiot 3.) The HORRIBLE accents used in this movie were incredibly grating - and I am from Mississippi 4.) Why did all the inhabitants of Ravenwood look like they just stepped out of a community theater's performance of Alice in Wonderland? 5.) Where was BOO RADLEY?!?!? How hard is it to get a dog people!?! 6.) Larkin wasn't dark - he was insipid and frankly a useless character 7.) Why was the trial at the beginning of the movie and not after the dance, and for that matter - why didn't we see the dance? 8.) Rosemary and Lemons anyone?! 9.) the sixteen moon song 10.)Nothing with Ethan's dad - nothing. 11.)All of the scenes with the locket visions were pitiful.

I could go on and on and on and on...even small things like the movie Ethan is watching when Mrs. Lincoln comes to his house on Halloween were different. How hard is that to get right for goodness sake?!

In summary, this movie was awful. I tried to just view it as a movie and separate it from the book I had read in my mind, but that made it even more insipid. I was literally laughing out loud in parts they were so schmaltzy and ridiculous. MAYBE, maybe if you hadn't read the book and were 12 years old and were an idiot, maybe then you would enjoy this movie. At least I got to listen to Jeremy Irons talk, that was the only redeeming factor.

I wanted to address other reviewers comments that "even the Harry Potter movies strayed from the books". This is true. However, key characters, plot lines and story elements were never eliminated as they were in this film. Based on the storyline of this movie the film makers have made it virtually impossible to continue the series. Rant over.

Predictable on it's same clichés, but quite interesting for me enough

Author: gavin-thelordofthefu-48-460297 from United States
17 February 2013

My brother and I went to see this in theaters by using our birthday gift our grandmother had given us with much expectations. Later, we walked out of the theater and we had a good time. Even though the professional critics on Rotten Tomatoes gave it mixed feelings, I thought this is a pretty good film. It's not spectacular, though for there are some problems that I do have with the film.

The story was OK. It became quite predictable by using some of the same clichés that we've already seen before like in Twilight, but it got me interested especially towards the end of this flick. There are some times where the exposition throughout the film is a bit too much for my tastes.

Flaws aside, this film does have some good qualities. The cinematography is brilliant and the scenery of South Carolina is beautiful to look at. The direction is above-decent and the music score is surprisingly good. The special effects are pretty good too and the golden eyes effect is the perfect highlight. The dialog is pretty smart and mixes melodrama and campy humor pretty well throughout the film.

The best part, however, would have to go to the cast. Emma Thompson as Serafine sometimes overacts, but by golly was she enjoyable; Emmy Rossum did a nice job as the foxy Ridley, Viola Davis did very good as Amma and Jeremy Irons (the famous actor from The Lion King, Eragon, etc.) did a fantastic job as the menacing and edgy Macon Ravenwood. However, the best characters would have to go to the two main protagonists. Alden Enrenreich did an amazing job as the charismatic Ethan Wate while Alice Englert is a perfect Lena Duchannes, thus making them a much likable duo than Bella and Edward from Twilight.

Overall, I have yet to read the book it was based on and I understood all the hatred this flick had, but despite it's own problems, Beautiful Creatures is a pretty good fantasy romance flick that is way better than the Twilight movies and I think would be recommended to those who haven't seen it yet.

I am appalled.

Author: Rhea0704 from United States
1 May 2013

****May Contain Spoilers**** This was completely awful. If I were Kami Garcia I would be embarrassed. There were actually only 2 things in this movie that followed the books and I can't even remember what the second one is that is how disturbed I am. Within the first 2 minutes they had already screwed it up. The dreams that Ethan has pertaining to Lena. Where is the rest of the cast?? I can understand them not having a big budget (I don't know whether they did or didn't I am just assuming they didn't because of lack of characters) but really? They can't get even the lollipop that Ridley uses correct? Lena and Ethan don't Celt at all in the movie. Ethan never dies. Why the heck did Genevieve kill her Ethan? And not even have the Book of Moons. Where is the Sharpie? Why wasn't Lena driving a hearse? This really just makes my head hurt. I am so disturbed by how much they butchered what could have been an amazing movie. I really don't expect them to be able to even make a sequel now that Ethan didn't even die. I won't be watching it either if they do. This is an atrocity.

Love, Curse and Sacrifice

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
29 June 2013

In Gatlin, South Caroline, the teenager Ethan Wate (Alden Ehrenreich) dreams on leaving the conservative town and go to the college. Ethan has dreams with a mysterious girl and when he meets the fifteen year-old newcomer Lena Duchannes (Alice Englert) in his class, he realizes that she is the girl of his dreams. The outcast Lena is rejected by the mates since she is the granddaughter of Macon Ravenwood (Jeremy Irons), who is considered a worshiper of the devil by the superstitious dwellers.

Ethan gives a ride to Lena and they fall in love with each other. Soon he learns that Lena is a good witch that on her sixteenth birthday will be claimed by the light and the darkness. She may stay in the light, but is cursed to change to the dark side if she falls in love with him. Further, her evil mother Sarafine (Emma Thompson) is a caster that is pushing Lena to the dark side. Now they are seeking a spell to save their doomed love. Will the lovers succeed?

"Beautiful Creatures" is a pleasant romantic fantasy about love, curse and sacrifice. The fight between light and darkness is well resolved and the conclusion is open to interpretations. It will never be nominated to an Oscar, but entertains. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Dezesseis Luas" ("Sixteen Moons")

Get over the book appreciate the MOVIE

Author: wardlahr
2 March 2013

First off, how many times do people get let down going in to movies expecting them to be like the movies??? Get over it! The movie was great...the main characters were great actors and had great chemistry. I personally loved the movie. I actually liked it more than i thought, which is a good surprise for me. I knew id like it, but i liked it so much more! I really hope they continue to make movies from this series whether or not they follow the books. A good movie is a good movie...so all u disturbed book series followers get ur panties out a wad nd learn to appreciate great young actors and their hard work to make entertaining movies. For those looking for a good fantasy movie with love, action, and funny moments, this is the movie for you. It was good beginning to end.

one of worst movies I've ever seen

Author: Cindy from Deep South
21 February 2013

This is one of the absolute WORST movies I have ever seen. I haven't read the books, so this is not based on how good or poor the adaptation is...just how purely awful the movie is. All three of the "senior" actors are great actors. The fact that not one of them was able to pull off even one well-acted, honest scene should tell you something. The younger actors are unknown to me, and I now have no desire to know them. There are actually good (funny/satirical) B movies out there. This isn't one of them. It is a BAD B movie. I took a young teen who wanted to go and she was bored but stuck with it because of the books. I honestly felt tortured having to sit through this show. The saddest thing is that I wanted to read the books prior to this and now I think the well is poisoned. I can't imagine anyone liking this movie. Our audience grumbled and complained during the show and afterwards.

Way better then I expected, it's twilight with better actors

Author: simpletreatment23 from United States
17 March 2013

so this weekend I went out of my way to catch a movie that interested me a lot from the trailers and the concept. Beautiful Creatures I know at first glance it seems like a wanna be twilight but I actually found it a lot better. I had to drive to another city to a theater I've never been to and see it all by myself in an empty theater and I didn't care. It was that good lol .Both Twilight and Beautiful Creatures are in the same genre of "Young Adult" stories but both couldn't be more different. From a film level, this tops the twilight films.

The actors are way better. The two leads in the films were charming and great in their roles. They really made them seem like real people then cardboard cut outs of people (like twilight) so when the two leads fall in love... it's built honestly and naturally instead of it being unrealistic. Alice Englert was beyond impressive in this role. She natural, frail and yet you don't know what lies in her character. It's great seeing the object of affection of the main character being down to earth and yet gorgeous.

Alden Ehrenreich as the lead was pretty good, I wasn't sure how I was going to like his character because at first he seemed too silly but slowly the film makers made him seem real... someone who was willing to fight for what he knew was right... which was Lena. Not just that but the supporting characters were well rounded solid actors who really gave this film a sense of being a real story instead of a cheesy teen movie. Jeremy Irons is amazing as always. I love how the film flowed through out, it's not an original story but I loved the rich history of the story and the world that was in.

My issues with the film are small... mainly i wish they film makers would be have let this film breathe a bit and take it's time. They a great story and interesting history... i wanted to see them take the time to actually go deeper into the world and let us enjoy it for bit. At times, the film seemed to rushed at points or when something really cool or interesting happens... the film makers don't take the chance to really use it the best it can. Some of the CGI was kind of cheesy and towards the end the story uses a plot element that if they would have gone with completely then I would have hated this film but they didn't and gave me what I wanted for the characters.

At that point, getting to really enjoy the story and the characters... you can't help but to cheer them on. There's a lot of moments where i thought i knew where the film was going to go and it changed it on me. Personally I don't think i would have done some of those choices as a writer but it worked for this story. It really kept me interested. I didn't think I was going to like this film as much as I did. There was a lot that worked in it's favor and it's sad that not a lot of people turned out to go see it.

It's way better then the twilight films and it actually has good acting. I think with a lot bit more time and money... this film would have been even better, truth be told there are some moments that are on that edge of being too cheesy, but despite that... I completely loved this film and enjoyed it for what it was. A good little story about supernatural powers, good vs evil, love and the power of love. I know there's a lot of people that will think this film will be as bad as twilight and it isn't... I actually thought it was nice charming film.

Don't try to compare it to the book!

Author: brittanycarnahan67
15 February 2013

After seeing this film last night it is clear that they did not want to make it like the book, and if they did they did an awful job in doing so. There were so many characters missing along with so many enchanting moments that made the book. With that being said the film itself was outstanding. Great performances by all actors and just all around a job well done. Had I not read the books I would have walked out giving it a 9/10. For me I am going to take the book series and the movie series as two separate stories that are so close to being the same in that they have the same story line. If others can do the same and try to just see them as separate things than this could be a really successful movie series.

Wretched Mess

Author: elmerflp from United States
24 February 2013

I thought this was going to be a fun and slightly scary paranormal/monster/romance, sort of like the Twilight series. Instead, I paid for the privilege of getting bludgeoned with Cultural Marxist/Politically Correct orthodoxies and bigoted anti-Christian stereotypes. A few examples: 1.) Christians are loathsome, vile stereotypes, but sorcerers/witches ("casters" in this movie) are fine folk. Christians ban books and loudly and obnoxiously pray to be delivered from "heathens," rather than reaching out to non-Christians with love and compassion. No scenes of Christians praying silently over a sick child in the ICU, or donating time and money to Christian charities which have made the world a vastly better place. 2.) Small town folk are ignorant, backward, close-minded dead-enders, but New York City is heaven on earth. No mention of the possibility that small-town people might be eager refugees from the toxic taxes, crowding, murder, rape, theft, and moral relativism of the modern American metropolis. Finally, there is the fatal plot flaw (spoiler alert) of the "casters" is this film being immortal, yet one of them gets shot and dies at the end. I don't get it. Don't waste your time or money on this wretched mess.

My score is only due to the Acting.

Author: SpecificMovieLover from A Subtropical location with amazing beaches.
28 February 2013

When asked if I wanted to see this film I half-heartedly said yes with little understanding of what I was going to see, wondering if I will regret it and have teen girls crying around me (I'm a guy), I was expecting an over romantic chick flick with something to do with magic, love, forbidden love and sacrifice. Something along the lines of 'Twilight' this assumption was Incorrect. And I was pleasantly surprised and pleased this wasn't another case of sparkling vampires or something similar. For all those who haven't seen this movie and believe it's the same thing as Twilight this alone being the reason you're not going to see it, you'd be wrong like I was at the start I recommend getting a bunch of friends and seeing it on a weekend . Where Twilight was just a pure romantic love story for fanged freaks, 'Beautiful Creatures' is a contemporary version of 'Romeo and Juliet' that explores the "humanity" of an unknown supernatural world of powers, preferably known as 'Casters' that's what they call themselves.

When I came out of the cinema I was smiling, I would even go as far as saying I was 'Claimed' by it (HAHA lame joke). This was an entertaining film; all the actors had chemistry together and it was refreshing to see new actors take on a role such as this one effortlessly. The main characters that stood out from the rest would have to of been Jeremy Irons, Emma Thompson, Alden Ehrenreich, Alice Englert, Viola Davis and Emmy Rossum. (Just the main characters is all, I'll mention only three below ) Alden plays the role of Ethan Wate the main character we are first introduced to and which the plot of the story follows from his point of view, much like the books this is based off.

Alden Ehrenreich plays a convincing role as the small town boy who aspires to be different and intelligent planning to leave rather than follow the small minded community members of Gatlin that will undoubtedly stay in the town for the rest of their lives, this Southern gentlemanly style of character stays with Ethan and is more so expressed when the new girl arrives at the school, Lena Duchanne also known as "old man Ravenswood's niece."

Alice Englert plays the unknown new girl Lena and we soon realise she isn't what she seems, as windows decide to smash inwards all on their own doing, along with bizarre weather patterns that involve lightning hitting the same place, making the towns folk dust off their bibles and prayin to the good lord for mercy. But this is a romantic and all the commotion has an appealing magnetism for Ethan and so instead of avoiding the 'not so cool girl' that dresses weird and is related to the towns version of the Boogie man Macon Ravenwood (Irons), he goes and talks to her getting closer to her feelings than her not so normal family would like, the idea would be to break them apart and Lena's Uncle, Macon Ravenwood is determined to do so and who better to play the role as the intimidating relation but Academy Award winner Jeremy Irons.

Irons brings a life time of experience to the set and to see him perform in this type of genre is quite different but effective, as he plays Lena's Uncle we see he cares for her deeply and can be instantly branded with being an over protective guardian, but who wouldn't be if your nieces sixteenth birthday would decide whether or not you turn to the 'Dark or the Light' also known as the 'Claiming' simply put the Good, or the bad to the bone destroy everything in your path Evil, what a hurdle to get over right and it's not like anyone wants her to go Dark yeah? Right well there's that to.

With a well written script that involves expressing humanity in a supernatural world coupled with wit and humour and just the right amount of special effects this is a fun and entertaining film to see. It wasn't spectacular but it's worth a look. And I hope someone gives the two budding actors Alice & Alden another go because they weren't all that bad.

PS If you have read the books and disagree with how the movie panned out, don't make it your mission in life to hate it, take it for what it is, they can't make the same magic that a writer can with a pen but they can get pretty close. I had seen the movie first before I read the book, there are some major changes. But I liked the performances of the cast hence the reason for (My score) below.

Acting (On all accounts) 8/10 VFX (for what there was) 6/10 Costume & Design 8/10 Book to Film Adaptation 4.5/10 Genre (Supernatural Romance, forbidden love, did it fit well in the film?) 7.5/10

(My score) 7/10

Personal opinion I found it more enjoyable than Twilight. Worth a look, possibly not a read, you will probably be disappointed.

Page 2 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]