IMDb > "Life" Reptiles & Amphibians (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Life" Reptiles & Amphibians (2009)

« Prev | 2 of 10 Episodes | Next »

The World's Largest Lizard

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
28 March 2010

The main attraction here was the Komodo dragon. The story begins with them, and ends with them. They rare existing only on five small islands in the world and are "the largest lizards on Earth." They are scary-looking creatures and if you are averse to seeing creatures kill other animals who might want to avoid the the last five minutes of this episode. It's a little rough seeing one, and then a half dozen dragons kill off a water buffalo over a space of six days. Why some of these "nature shows" insist on showing these bloody scenes in graphic detail is beyond me.

Whatever, the rest of this "Life" episode, the second one in this new BBC series, lets us observe some colorful creatures, from tiny Geckos to waterfall toads, Madagascar's Panther Chameleons to giant bullfrogs to a variety of birds which do not fly. We learn why cold-blooded reptiles like crocodiles, which were on earth 200,000,000 million years ago, according to the narrator, need sun in order to move about.

We witness the magnificent Bralizian Rain Forest which has so many unique creatures it would you head spin. One thing about this series, as its predecessor did, it gives you spectacular close-up photography and gorgeous colors of creatures and the landscapes they inhabit.

These photographers have guts, too. At the very end, they show a group of them right near the dragon, just a few feet away. It's a wonder the lizard didn't suddenly attack them.