IMDb > My Perestroika (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
My Perestroika

My Perestroika More at IMDbPro »

A general story about a nostalgia that all of us sympathize with

Author: Sin Young Kim
26 March 2011

It's a unique story related with a particular period of political upheaval, and at the same time it's a general story about a nostalgia that all of us sympathize with. It's a Nostalgia for the days that we didn't have to worry about severe competitions, untrustworthy policies, unfair present and ambiguous future. It was the time we could find a peace of mind from the passivity and obedience. We were not ready enough to deal well with an unexpected freedom. We're also not ready to accept numerous choices and the results that we're responsible for.

We don't even know how to explain clearly, if someone asked us why that time was better to us. We just know it was better. We're still not sure about the present. However, sometimes we found ourselves surprisingly living well in the present without any distinct understanding about it.

Glad to have made an exception to my I-hate-documentaries rule

Author: JvH48 from Amersfoort, The Netherlands
5 February 2011

Documentaries are rarely powerful enough to let me watch to the end. Firstly, the voice over usually has an I-know-all, scholarly tone of voice that makes me cringe. Secondly, when famous scientists are invited to say a few words, they are commonly limited to (indeed) a few words, since too many long words may tick off the average viewer. Should I go on??

This time I gladly make an exception to my rule. The chosen format is perfectly suited to bring the mixed message across. It does not "feel" like a documentary at all. The idea to round up a handful of average people, and letting them picture their own past, is very good. This is mostly due to the fact that a real cross section of the Russian people does the talking, supported by photos and film fragments, partly from their past and partly from television.

The concept was not immediately clear from the start, and it required some time to take off. The talking heads (in the positive sense) were filmed in their own environment (home, school, their business, etcetera), and were just themselves telling us about their past and present ideas. This works perfectly, also providing us with some insight in the circumstances these people live(d) in.

All in all, I'm glad that I overlooked the fact that this film was announced as a "documentary". This is a format for which new terminology should be invented.

Understanding the misunderstood

Author: Drew Santorello from United States
28 March 2011

Robin Hessman's "My Perestroika" is an interesting view of a world unknown. For these people, growing up during the time that they did was something completely new, and because of this they had no one to turn to. This film helps you to understand what growing up in a different world is like. As their government collapsed and the Soviet Union was no more these individuals found their lives becoming more and more awry.

From a production standpoint, this film is well made despite Hessman's lack of equipment and crew. She conducted the interviews herself with her camera in hand, and while it's not as stylized as many recent documentaries, it fits the tone of the film perfectly. This method also brings the audience closer to the individuals and allows for a more personal connection with them. The archival footage in the film is used in a creative way; similar shots of archival footage (such as the first day of school) juxtaposed with current shots. This method works as a metaphor for the generation gap between these individuals and the following generation.

Finally, I am amazed with the understanding that Hessman has of this situation not being from Russia. It shows that this documentary was well research and was cared for every step of the way.

Review, "My Perestroika"

Author: MilladoN8 from Brooklyn, NY
26 March 2011

I was lucky enough to see "My Perestroika" at NYC's IFC Center, where director Robin Hessman answered questions following a screening of her film. She stressed that her documentary isn't so much representative of all Russians, but rather a cross-section of "ordinary Russians living in extra-ordinary times." Hessman focused her lens on five childhood classmates who entered school in communist Moscow but came of age during the fall of the Iron Curtain. She had incredible access to her five subjects: punk rocker Ruslan, single mom Olga, successful businessman Andrei, and married history teachers Borya and Lubya. By shooting solo (instead of relying on a cameraman), Hessman was able to develop a rapport with her subjects, prompting them to open up. Although they seemed nostalgic about their idyllic childhood, they also appeared to wish to leave it in the past. By the end, they all seemed nonchalant about the current government. The film's strength lies in its use of the subjects' own 8mm home movies (juxtaposed alongside vintage propaganda films). This film could easily have been constructed with talking heads waxing poetic about the fall of the USSR, but it wouldn't have been as compelling. By focusing on (relatable) characters, Hessman puts a face on the (last generation of the) Cold War, which until now had been a nebulous concept for me.

By the end, I wanted to down vodka shots with Ruslan and Borya! My only gripe is that I wanted to see more interaction among the five childhood classmates. Olga lived around the corner from Borya and Lubya, but we never see them interact. We know Borya and Lubya still keep contact with Ruslan, but do any of them still keep in touch with Andrei and Olga? I suppose that is another strength of Hessman's storytelling...that she painted these protagonists in such a way that I wanted to know more about them. May I suggest a follow-up documentary?

Storytelling

Author: slopez-media from United States
30 March 2011

My Perestroika successfully portraits personal impressions about the Soviet Union offering a refreshing counterpoint of ideas between characters. Perestroika can be understood for many as a Russian word connected with an important moment in Russian history. I can say that after following the stories of these 5 friends in Moscow I have a deep sense of human connection and respect for people who was dramatically affected in the process that Russia held around the 90s. I have an understanding of what Perestroika meant for them.

Parallels between how these characters grew up and how their children are growing up nowadays allow audiences to perceive the contrast between communism and capitalism. This humanist film is a refined documentary full of cinematographic details and relevant opinions about an important historic issue.

Very heartwarming and enlightening

Author: mraydun
31 March 2011

I was blown away by how easy it was for me (as well as for my husband) to relate to this film but I don't think you have to be of similar background in order to find this film fascinating and enlightening.

I loved that the film wasn't solely political, but focused more on these people's lives instead. This was an excellent little window into people's lives. Of course, this cannot be representative of all Russians, but these five people have very different lives and it was interesting to see what choices or happenings led them to where they are today.

There is much nostalgia present in this film, although I do not think that this nostalgia is for the Soviet regime. Like all people, these subjects are nostalgic for their childhoods, when everything seemed better and one simply did not have to deal with any real, mundane problems. Their reflections are very heartwarming.

All in all, I highly recommend this film.

A good rundown of Russian society from the past thirty years

Author: Nathan L from France
16 September 2012

A bunch of children strolling around during the first day of school : the beginning and the end of the movie are similar in form, but not in substance. Indeed, the whole movie is about how the Russian society was before 1991 and how the USSR collapse impacted people's lives.

We follow Borya, Olga, Andrei and others through their childhood and present lives : it's funny how they were similar during the first period but how they differ now; through the film, you understand that although the perestroika allowed people to leave freer, it also gave them a sense of instability, or as one of the characters say, a sense of inutility.

This movie may appeal to people interested in contemporary Russian history, but also those who are into psychology issues. There is a lot of thinking coming after you've seen Olga looking blankly at the window...

Soviet Seven Up

Author: Emmett Pepper from United States
23 September 2011

Combining vintage footage with modern interviews gives an informative glimpse into the everyday life of children in the Soviet Union and how different things are today for both the children and the adults. The interviews with the now-adults about their childhood were, in my opinion the most enlightening and interesting, as well as the portions about what it was actually like going through perestroika and glasnost. I thought it could have had a stronger theme tying the people together, but it may have just been a product of what the premise of the film was. Anyone interested in what Communism was actually like should definitely watch this.

Two decades of Moscow life

Author: olga-day from California
5 June 2011

Life goes on. Political systems change. Economies provide wealth for all, or not. We ring the bell to start the school year, and life goes on.

This documentary takes the five graduates of PS 57 in Moscow through the wild changes of Perestroika and the end of the Soviet Union. The "money" line for me was "No sausage, but we were happy". In the old days they had less but life felt good. The film addresses the complicated question of Socialism vs. Capitalism, but not directly. And that's a strength. The lives of the five subjects are sketched out., The huge drama of the Soviet Union collapsing is reported succinctly. We get to see the outline of these lives. We get to ponder the tense present of some, the placid present of others, and compare it to the stable and happy but less prosperous earlier life.

A life on potatoes but without sausage seems grim to a materialist. A prosperous life without joy seems grim to a spiritualist. Both the Soviet Union and America were mixed economies. Both had socialist and capitalist elements. What's the right mix? This film is excellent background material for those pondering this question. It's also a great review of the last two decades of Moscow life.

Minor complaint: though the entire film is in Moscow, and the "no sausage" line seems more like a description of Perestroika outside the major cities.

My Perestroika

Author: Jiayi Wang from United States
30 March 2011

I like this documentary, which recalls my memory in China. In some level, Russia is the big brother and father of China. We have the same faith, the same society mode, the similar party history and the similar memory about the past at once. Although the opening day of school in China is not as special as Russia's, it's also very important for every kid who is ready to begin their school life. We have the same red scarf, the young pioneer, the group activity out of campus, and a heart that is ready for constructing our country and socialism. We also have the firm faith of socialism, the three-years difficulty period, and finally have to learn how to confront the history and the collapse of the faith. Every September is the time for school to open. Every year, countless students come to school and begin their new life. Every generation has their difference and shares the similar experiences. They are the hot-blood young people at once. The school life for them is the perfect memory forever. Although society is changed, the leader is not the same one yet, they grew up, became rich or poor. They have suffered the pain and happiness. Their youth has been past as well as the heavy history. But the life is going on and the youth is going on.