IMDb > Elite Squad: The Enemy Within (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Tropa de Elite 2 - O Inimigo Agora É Outro

Elite Squad: The Enemy Within More at IMDbPro »Tropa de Elite 2 - O Inimigo Agora É Outro (original title)

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Wow.

Author: Sash5034 from Salt Lake City
26 January 2011

I'll say one thing right off the bat, this movie is incredible. I saw it in a packed theater at the Sundance film festival and I've never heard louder applause from an audience. I would recommend watching the first film, just because its also very good and introduces all the characters. However, this film stands on its own. The director sought to make this stand out from the first film and he succeeded. This has fantastic action, great dialogue, and some hilarious dark humor. But most of all, its intelligent, its extremely well made, it's not plagued with any awkward or out of place moments. For some viewers, this film might actually be a learning experience. If you want to see an action film that isn't 90% action and 10% plot. If you want something that's hardcore, fearless, and has a message, this is it. Check it out, you won't be disappointed.

Amazing

Author: im-624-363302 from Spain
31 October 2010

I saw the film in its world premiere in Paulinia, São Paulo. !.500 people in the audience. Perhaps, 1/3 industry members and 2/3 non-industry members. It was a collective catharsis, I only remember a group experience of the same intensity watching Crouching Tiger in its Cannes premiere.

The audience applauded the film five times, the last a standing ovation. Capitão Nascimento has become the alter ego of every Brazilian, seeking a secure place to live. I think the film will find an echo in neighboring Latin American countries.

Compared to Tropa de Elite 1, the second delivery is a much more mature picture, a deeper look into the issues that plague every Latin American major city- citizen's security, human rights, and political responsibility.

Since City of God, I have not seen such a round and impactful film about the social reality in Brazil. Remarkable work of José Padilha, Braulio Mantovani with a seamless screenplay. Lula Carvalho's precise work as a DOP, Daniel Rezende's brilliant editing, not to mention Wagner Moura's surprising delivery as a mature Nascimento.

A total must see, and absolute award season favorite

A marvelous movie... the SAGA continues

Author: Eduardo Barros from Brazil
15 October 2010

Padilha has definitely excelled himself... instead of going into the usual and expected cliché of making a sequel with the exact same formula as the first movie, he goes out of the box and makes a wonderful, completely new, movie. If you are one of those movie fans who would like to see a reproduction of the first movie, who is eager to hear famous lines such as "você é um moleque" or "pede pra sair" once again coming out of Capitão Nascimento's mouth, who wants to see more and more torture, more and more violence. Forget about all of that... this movie has nothing of the sort. Of course there is a lot of shootings, and some torture scenes, but they are nothing compared to the ones in the first movie, they are quick and do not show as much! But do not let this keep you from watching this movie. In fact, what makes this sequel so special is that it doesn't even feel like a sequel, it feels more like a SAGA, Capitão Nascimento's SAGA, his quest for justice and against crime. Its a deeper voyage into Nascimento's feelings and also into the inner workings of the CRIME machine. Its a more mature and better developed movie which will make you think. It will make you angry, and it will make you mad... but in the end it will make you want to cry out loud: GO CAPITÃO NASCIMENTOOOOOOO!!! And cheer for him!

If you want to see torture violence and death you will get disappointed.

Author: andrewsephiroth from Brazil
13 October 2010

If you are going to this movie just to see torture, violence, and people being killed in a war inside a city don't go.This movie is much better produced and more mature than the first.Here they show the main character (Capitão Nascimento) in a higher position.This movie explore more talking and negotiations than the first one.Not so many tortures.As I said this movie is more mature and make for you to THINK and not to see a bunch of people dieing.I really enjoyed it and it's for sure much better than the first one.10/10, I won't say much to don't give spoils.Go to this movie to see new characters, a completely new environment, with people showing you how works the things on the underworld of Rio, not the fake bad police in the first one but a new one ready to know how to dialogue.

The best Brazilian film of the year! The best movie of the year!

Author: Nadson from Brazil
13 October 2010

A Brazilian film like never before. This is just a definition of Elite Squad 2, which could also be synonymous with: shocking, visceral, truculent, spectacular, amazing and realistic.

To make a film with such honesty and courage, as a member of B.O.P.E. say, must be "Skull"! And this is thanks to director Jose Padilha, who had the guts (and a lot of talent) to throw open the problem of violence in Rio de Janeiro, and the system created by subversive criminal organizations of low and high rank. Thus building a film extremely realistic and relevant, neither the American cinema got to do, because when it comes to "put the dust under the carpet, Hollywood and Brazil are very similar.

With a top cast in superb performances and a plot full of twists and clever, the viewer will not soon forget the great action, violence, misery and personal drama played by the great Brazilian anti-hero of the decade: Colonel/Captain Nascimento.

The Masterminds of the Organized Crime in Rio

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
12 February 2011

After a bloody invasion of the BOPE in the High-Security Penitentiary Bangu 1 in Rio de Janeiro to control a rebellion of interns, the Lieutenant-Colonel Roberto Nascimento (Wagner Moura) and the second in command Captain André Matias (André Ramiro) are accused by the Human Right Aids member Diogo Fraga (Irandhir Santos) of execution of prisoners. Matias is transferred to the corrupted Military Police and Nascimento is exonerated from the BOPE by the Governor. However, due to the increasing popularity of Nascimento, the Governor invites him to team-up with the intelligence area of the Secretary of Security. Along the years, Fraga, who is married with Nascimento's former wife, is elected State Representative and Nascimento's son Rafael has issues with his biological father. Meanwhile Nascimento and the BOPE expel the drug dealers from several slums but another enemy arises: the militia led by Major Rocha (Sandro Rocha) and supported by the Governor, the Secretary of Security and politicians interested in votes. Nascimento is manipulated to help this group, vanquishing the criminals in the slums and poor communities; then the corrupt group of police officers is free to exploit the poor population.

"Tropa de Elite 2" is a fictional and hopeless story based on true events and characters of Rio de Janeiro and the greatest box office of Brazilian cinema ever. The director and writer José Padilha did not make a sequel of the successful "Tropa de Elite", but used important characters to make a different and very realistic approach, scarier than the first one, about the masterminds of the organized crime in Rio de Janeiro. Further, he proves that is a courageous man, nudging the Powers that Be with this great film. The performances are impressive and sometimes this film seems to be a documentary. "Tropa de Elite 2" is certainly the best Brazilian film of 2010 but the Brazilian Commission has not selected this movie to dispute a nomination to the Oscar in the Best Foreign Language category. My vote is ten.

Title (Brazil): "Tropa de Elite 2: O Inimigo Agora é Outro" ("Elite Squad 2: Now it is Another Enemy")

The best Brazilian film I've ever seen

Author: leodrivera from Brazil
27 November 2010

This film shows everything about the corruption of the police in Rio. It shows on details how it works and how the politicians are involved, taking advantages of the corrupt system. Also, many characters that appear on the film are based on actual ones, like an ex-governor and an ex-secretary for Public Security.

It's a must-see film, mainly if you are a Brazilian citizen. Unfortunately, because of political interests, this film wasn't indicated for Oscar. It would be a great candidate for winning it. The one that was chosen, "Lula o Filho do Brasil" is a tendentious film that shows the supposed biography of Lula.

What a movie!

Author: elvir-806-821395 from Croatia
25 March 2011

I liked the first part very much, but this one is truly masterpiece. I am from Europe, but I was drawn to the movie like I am true Brazilian. I heard about life in Rio, heard many stories, watched many videos, but I supposed this is the best way of learning about the life in Rio. The storyline is much more intelligent that in the first part, with less action but much deeper story... You will be dragged in the movie and you will notice that it's kind of more entertaining than many Hollywood big-budget movies. The ending is great, not the way I would make it (I would enjoy watching all of those a..holes dying slowly), but it's really great... One of the best non-English movies that I ever watched. And I watched it a lot...

Well made movie about corruption and crime

Author: Derek G from Canada
7 March 2011

This is a completely different movie from Tropa de Elite 1. That movie was about a few guys and their personal stories as they deal with crooked cops. They were a hindrance to good police work but not really a menace, more an annoyance. This movie is all about real deep- seated corruption in Brazil. The bad guys here are actually evil and ruthless, and as a result the stakes are higher for the protagonists.

The good: just as memorable action scenes, although there were less of them. The story had several twists and turns and it was fascinating overall

The bad: Character development seemed to have taken a back seat here to the grand narrative. The distinct personalities of the first movie are kind of reduced. Andre Matias is the biggest example of this, and I was disappointed with what they did with him. Cpt. Nascimento's wasn't nearly as bad-ass or imposing as in TdE1.

I recommend this to anyone who likes a good crime movie with a message. I'm not Brazilian but this movie still made me think.

Superb!

Author: CiccioButcher
28 February 2011

This is by far the best movie of the year!

I enjoyed the first movie very much but the sequel even surpasses that. The story is more complex and keeps you interested and involved all the way. The central character is again Roberto Nascimento who is now more mature, as the story is set 13years later than the first movie. His enemies are corrupted policemen and politicians who prove to be much bigger threat than the drug lords as they have political power to influence Nascimento's position. Nascimento will have to adapt and learn to fight on other fields using new methods.

This time we also learn more about Nascimento's family and his relationship with them, especially with his adolescent son.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]