IMDb > Ecstasy (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ecstasy

Ecstasy More at IMDbPro »

A movie for your local church. Nothing more.

Author: john_bash from United States
20 September 2011

This is a very didactic, aggressively sad movie. From the start, it feels like a charity funded anti-drug work. Good Christians against the dark soul of drugs. Characters are very shallow, there is a bible in most of the scenes. All young people are good in essence, except for their inability to assess the outcome of their actions. I hated the movie because from the start you can guess the direction it is taking. Obviously there is nothing, no information or emotion, about ecstasy. You might as well replace the pills in the movie with some other bad thing and give the kids another lesson. But you also need to change the title of the movie, that's evidently important.

Hard to follow

Author: Sonni N from Canada
28 July 2011

The beginning of this film picked up at a good pace and I expected that the plot would unfold and continue to be intriguing at the very least. However, my expectations were greatly dismantled after about a half an hour in. I so badly wanted to stop watching out of boredom but I kept thinking at some point, the movie would pick up.

The acting as not bad at all, nor the art direction that the film took. However, there was a lot of character forming relationships that didn't make any sense to me at all. First off, the mother didn't seem much of a "practicing catholic", she seemed very uninvolved with both her daughters lives. The whole priest using that pill in the wine was just very strange and nothing ever seemed to come of it.

More importantly, it never explains what exactly the pill is. I'm unsure why the film is named ecstasy because those pills were nothing of the sort.

I think this film lost its direction right after the crude bathroom rape scene. I was left with a frustration as to why nothing was even wrapped up. I'm used to films where there isn't a happy ending so that wasn't the problem. Its just this one had very little direction to begin with, and to end it on the same note was simply unnerving.

Don't waste your time

Author: max23 from Australia
14 November 2011

This is probably the first movie I have to give 1 out of 10 stars. It is completely senseless and a waste of time, packed with clichés over and over and has no real plot or a main character to follow. It looks like someone put together all known drug clichés, rolled the dice to start with something and then just added silly cliché after cliché after cliché. If we wouldn't have been three of us to watch it and started making fun out of it after 15 minutes (!!) I would have stopped the DVD not even close to 30 minutes.

And everything what I like or interests me about drug- and electro music films also failed in this one, like music, good clubbing scenes, interesting nightlife characters and so on.

Do your self a favor and don't watch this. You will be very disappointed.

"Ecstasy"

Author: Brandon Blackwell from Earth
6 October 2011

A single church-going mother desperately tries to save her two daughters from walking down the same dark path she was once on; and a young woman fights against addiction to a mysterious party drug.

Ah, didn't know what exactly to expect but I got what was way worse than I expected. I really did honestly like the cinematography and the acting. Those were the main points of the film, and if it wasn't for them, this film would've gotten a 1. The film sounded pretty interesting from the summary and everything so I tried watching it on Netflix. This is one of those films I just turned off in the middle of viewing it. Really that bad. Another thing that was really weird is that the main drug in the film isn't even ecstasy, so why even call the film ecstasy telling the viewers that your about to see a film ABOUT ECSTASY. Really stupid. But this is the first film on my reviews that has gotten below a 5, congratulations Ecstasy. 4/10.

Not that good, but sometimes intriguing

Author: Martijn Severens from Bilzen, België
19 March 2012

Wasn't that good of a film, got one of my lowest ratings here on IMDb. But all in all I did watch out the entire movie. Something kept me watching. The acting like one stated in a review before wasn't bad at all. And the film had a couple of intriguing moments/scenes, but then just continued to follow another illogic path. The plot just was filled with holes, and it left quite some questionmarks at the end.. And indeed, why name a film 'ecstasy' when it's about some kind of (fictional) variant on ecstasy.. So eventually ended up quite far-fetched

All in all I did give it a 5, I've seen even worse movies which I did stop halfway.

Great soundtrack and directing

Author: nikkitan from United States
26 July 2012

Despite the bad reviews I went ahead and watch the film...just really wanted to see a house music film. To my surprise the film is actually serious and deep. There are some holes in the story, like the church thing, but its minor. i thought the director did an excellent job. The acting is immersive, the cinematography is slick and the music is will satisfy your ecstasy addiction.

I didn't realize im writing a review for this film and IMDb wants me to write more. Im not really a reviewer so I will just put things in point forms.

What I love:

- The mother's struggle with her corrupted daughter. This part really reminded me of my current relationship with my mom. She just despised my going out and partying til the morning ways. although I was responsible, she was still giving me a hard time. I get her point. It's so much better now that I don't live at home. Our relationship is 10 times better.

What I hate:

- I hated the church playing in to the film. I thought they could have just focused on the family thing and it would have been a perfect film. They tried to incorporate too many ideas into one film and thats why that part suffered. I just didn't buy the Priest and the drugs thing.

Overall, I give this film a 8 out of 10 because its a good film that is socially relevant and it also hits home for me and some of my friends.....specially watching the bathroom scene in the club. WOW!

Very Sad...

Author: Cinnamon Bernard from United States
22 March 2013

Drugs seems to be that craze many think is cool to use. In this film, even though the drug wasn't ecstasy, it still had the after effects and consequences. The characters in the film were also tested on their beliefs and faith.

Young and naive Dianna, was succumbed to peer pressure, and was a bad role model for her younger sister, Chantel. That mysterious red pill is still in question. What was upsetting is when David found out what the minister was doing. He thought the right thing to do his own little research and involve the police. But, the police took him as a joke. Very sad.

Moral of the story, drugs and alcohol takes a drastic turn for the worse in not only the user's life, but also everyone else around them.

Slick directing and cinematography work make this a stand out!

Author: jenniferjulus from Los Angeles
1 October 2012

From the man without a last name comes the urban thriller Ecstasy. This is an anti-drug film with drug deaths, sexual assault, and misfortune all leading to destruction in this rather graphic film. In a college community, four teenage school girls find escape in a mysterious new party drug that brings them to new heights. A mother tries in vain to stop her daughters as she watches them become addicted and lose control, and all the girls begin to be haunted by the withdrawals, which makes all their fears, guilt and demons become real. I found the acting really tight amongst the cast but it was Lux's direction and cinematography that really stood out for me. I'm looking forward to following his career and seeing the next move he makes. Highly recommend this!