IMDb > "The Glades" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Glades"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Glades" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Worth watching and I look forward to it each week

Author: nowego from Australia
30 August 2010

This is one show worth watching in my opinion and I am surprised at the negative reviews that are rubbishing it. It is obviously not technical enough for those reviewers. I find Matt Passmore's character very likable and I also like the way he goes about his work. He is a really good detective who thinks outside the box. Nothing seems to get in his way and even if it is a bit unbelievable that he gets to solve every crime in record time, it is still entertaining. The supporting cast is also excellent, I particularly like Carlos Gómez's character and Jordon Wall is fitting into the series very well.

I've watched every episode so far and look forward to it each week. Living in Australia my only access to it is to download it each week off the internet, but it is well worth it.

8 out of ten for me

Try it, you might like it.

Author: Lee Ledgerwood from United States
9 August 2010

I work afternoons and like to watch a little TV when I get off work and after midnight it's usually pretty bleak so I DVR shows that look interesting to me, "The Glades" is one of them.

No, this isn't classic anything but it is pleasant and non offensive to watch. The cast is interesting, the subplots keep building and except for the weekly murder victim, has a minimum of violence, sex and drugs. No, your life won't change from watching it, the world won't stop turning if you miss an episode, but you won't feel like you wasted an hour if you watch it.

Oh yeah, the actual Everglades aren't vital to the stories, but Miami, New York, Las Vegas, San Francisco, or Honolulu weren't either in the popular cop shows that had those cities in their names.

Very entertaining

Author: mrscnln from United States
21 August 2010

I like the show and the actors. It's the typical cop show where the smart, clever cop solves every murder in record time. Let's face it, with all the cop shows around, there's nothing new under the sun in this genre.

Matt Passmore is likable (and very easy on the eyes!) and the interaction of the regulars on the show make it fun to watch. He has a love interest which makes for an on-going subplot since there are complications there.

I certainly hope A&E continues with this show since it has a lot of possibilities.

Draws Similarities To Dexter, But It's A Different Show

Author: treeskier802 from United States
7 August 2010

Watching the previews to The Glades, I wasn't the only person I know that saw the similarities between this show and the hit series on Showtime, Dexter. The show is filmed in South Florida, revolves around homicide investigations, and the lead, Matt Passmore, even looks like Michael C. Hall of Dexter. However, unlike Dexter, Jim Longworth is a great cop who is NOT a serial killer. He's a just a decent guy with a good sense of humor who is a damn good investigator.

In fact, Passmore makes the show very enjoyable. Co-stars Carlos Gomez and Jordan Wall are great supporting Passmore and I do hope Michelle Hurd continues to take on a larger role in the show. The characters are good and are being developed nicely.

For this show to be successful, I do believe it will need to take on more interesting dark themes or it runs the risk of becoming a run-of-the-mill forensics series like Law and Order or Kojack...no knock on these shows, they were great for their time, but most audiences are looking for something fresh like Dexter and Breaking Bad. Let's hope The Glades remains fresh. I have watched the first 5 episodes and the back stories do seem to be building. If the show continues on this pace, it could be yet another hit for A&E. Rating 8 of 10 stars.

just good fun

Author: bucsfanp7 from Florida, USA
27 September 2010

I enjoy cop dramas. Having said that, I REALLY enjoy The Glades. It's such a nice change of pace, not as deep or dark as some of the fare is now-a-days.

What some call hubris, I would call being glib. It's nice to see a cop who's not always beating his chest or tearing his hair out over a case. The interaction of ALL the characters is also refreshing. Actually seems more true-to-life than most. The little gibes, off the cuff remarks to each other really lightens the "mood" of the show.

This is a great example that a good cop drama doesn't have to be heart-rending or bloody. Don't get me wrong, I'll still watch other cop dramas. But it's hard waiting a week for each episode of The Glades. It's on my DVD "series-to-buy" list, no other cop shows made it, yet.

Forget the usual Florida glitz and glimmer. The Glades is authentic.

Author: tim-lewis80 from fort lauderdale, florida
3 January 2011

I've been in Florida for 35 years, working as both a script writer and newspaper editor. I've been on the sets of most of those made-in-Florida productions and invariably they try to over-sell the Sunshine State with the glamorous South Beach style that typifies almost every show since Miami Vice. The Glades, however, gets its right with stories about the warm heart of Central Florida, with stories most Florida shows forget. Instead of Cuban drug lords we get stories of the football heroes bred in Imokalee, the spiritualists in Cassadaga and the surfers in Melbourne. The cast is down-to-earth with the right accents and attitudes. Very shows have understood their material this well since Ivan Tors migrated to North Miami.

'The Glades' makes the grade!

Author: zaenkney from United States
12 October 2010

A new show on A&E is starting to catch on, a little like a stone that begins its roll down a nice, low-grade slope that gently falls away, eventually to lend same stone a fast free flow to the bottom. "The Glades" begins as a teaser, introducing us to Detective Jim Longworth (Matt Passmore previously of "McLeod's Daughters"), a laid back, smart-arsed lawman, who blurs the thin blue line's line of authority on a regular basis. While he appears to lead with a smile in most situations, his wit works shrewdly away. He's great at subtly extracting personal information from others when necessary, but he's even better at withholding his own. Watch carefully, when he talks to Callie, his partner, or a perp. He often looks slightly over their heads or off to the side, not allowing them to see into his soul. Carlos Sanchez, his partner who is a go-by-the-book cop, is often the humorous object of some 'I'm not laughing with you, I'm laughing at you' dissonance. It appears Longworth's cockiness carries over to his job, and personal life, but I think that will be fleshed out, at least to some point, as we get to know him better. Slow talking, slow walking, wise Callie is the perfect 'possibly' for this lawman - a good balance to his jump-in-feet-first and who-cares persona. Although, she does bring some intriguing baggage to the mix, for sure.

I was an avid fan of of "McLeod's Daughters" and it is great to see Rachel Carpani, Passmore's real life girlfriend/fellow McCleod's player, acting alongside at times on the show.

With a Creator such as Clifton Campbell, who has also been involved in such greats as '"White Collar", "Profiler", and "21 Jump Street", I have very little doubt that we will continue to see even better story lines as well as Longworth's past life unfold to mysteriously complicate his relationships along with his duties. All this and the lush environment of the 'Glades' delivers something to look forward to on Sunday nights. 10/11/2010

What a great show!

Author: big_O_Other from United States
19 September 2011

We love this show. The action is light, the dialogue snappy, the love interests are sensitive without any sappiness.

This is one of the best of the multiple detective shows that inhabit our TV universe. First of all it is unique insofar as the hero is not constantly in a jam with his superiors and is not full of the most unpleasant character flaws, which most cop shows emphasize. Nor does he have a not-very-understanding wife and family. Passmore plays it extremely well, quick with his tongue, reserved about his insights, and most of all able to do what most cops on TV cannot: communicate nuanced feelings with his eyes and face.

His co-star is an amazingly well depicted woman with way too much to do but always responsible and never too lazy to do whatever she does and do it very well. She's a great actress and the only other film I've seen her in, The Perfect Getaway, she did the same thing as here: playing someone completely down to earth but with enough interiority and mystery to make her very compelling.

We hope the show goes ON!

Great show.

Author: sewruthb from Florida, US
17 May 2015

Love the show, hate Callie. She doesn't know how to speak clearly. Seems like she's Trying to sound sexy, but it just comes out mumbled mush. Please get her some speech lessons! Glad we have subtitles. The other characters are great, good diction, great delivery. Really like the pace of the show and the story lines. The photography is bright and fresh, keeps the show light and not too serious. Recently took some time off from the show and caught right up again. Just, argh, just can't take Callie's mumbles..Sorry. Maybe she could be replaced with a better actress. What do other folks think of her? She is not the only mumbled on TV these days. Seems like there are a lot of untrained actors around today.

Waste of time

Author: dougpowell from Georgia
19 July 2014

This show is a complete waste of time. It's predictable and not in the least how the real world works. Also, the off handed commercials for the great space in the Kia..the heated seats...sunroof. I don't know how much Kia paid but the attention to all the meaningless amenities of the car is distracting and unbelievable. I can't believe I wasted time with this show. One of the only good things is the acting by "Callie". The relationship she has is one of the only reasons I kept watching. Although keeping her in the story is sometimes repetitious, her acting makes it worth putting up with. If only real cops would do their job half as good.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]