IMDb > The Last Stand (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Last Stand

The Last Stand More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

"The Last Stand" gets off to a slow start but more than makes up for it with an explosive second and third act

Author: ersinkdotcom from United States
17 January 2013

Arnold is back just like he's always claimed! No matter what you think of him as a politician or family man, one thing is for sure. Nobody can kick as much booty as Arnold Schwarzenegger. The man has fought and won against robots, drug dealers, terrorists, giant serpents, politicians, and the Devil.

He's battled everyone and everything in his forty plus year career in films and TV. What do you do for an encore after taking a break to be the governor of California? You jump back in the ring and do it all over again! That's exactly what Schwarzenegger does in "The Last Stand."

Ex-LAPD officer Ray Owens (Arnold Schwarzenegger) has retired to the small border town of Summerton Junction and taken the position of sheriff in the quiet community. Things get heated up when Ray discovers the leader of a drug cartel, Gabriel Cortez (Eduardo Noriega), is heading through the heart of Summerton Junction as he speeds toward Mexico and freedom. It's up to Owens and his inexperienced deputies to stop Cortez and his gang as they prepare for a daring escape across the border.

Although the film starts out rather slow, it picks up and never lets the audience back down. I was getting a bit restless as they took their time establishing the story. As soon as those first explosions and gunshots went off, I knew I was in for a bloody and gory good time.

"The Last Stand" is the perfect movie for Schwarzenegger to return to the silver screen in. Its violence, gun fighting, and hand-to-hand combat are over-the-top in that wonderfully excessive 1980s style. However, the story and Schwarzenegger's role as an aging lawman are quite convincing.

Owens just wants to get away from the rat race of being a big city cop and settle down in a quiet little country town with one road. That doesn't stop him from wanting to protect his home and its citizens. It's completely believable that a gun-toting patriotic sheriff and his deputies would do anything they could to protect their town from harm at the hands of murderous drug dealing criminals.

Johnny Knoxville and Luis Guzman both do a great job of providing the comic relief we've all come to expect from these great action films. You can't have a great hero without having his inept sidekicks that accidentally help save the day. It just so happens that we get two for the price of one in "The Last Stand."

Eduardo Noriega is excellent as the pretty boy drug kingpin who lets other people do all his dirty work while he reaps all the benefits. He races towards the Mexican border in a fancy race car with a woman by his side while his gang members get blown away by Schwarzenegger and company. I spent the entire film just waiting for him to come face-to-face with Schwarzenegger and get what was coming to him.

"The Last Stand" shows that even in his 60s, Arnold Schwarzenegger still has what it takes to carry a big-scale action movie. It might take him a little longer than it used to, but he'll still end up handing your tail to you when it's all said and done. From the looks of his upcoming films, he's just getting started.

6.4 on IMDb? You should be ashamed of yourselves

Author: Christopher Chadwick from United Kingdom
1 September 2013

This film was abysmal. The acting was terrible. The script was awful. The action was at times as believable as a Tom & Jerry cartoon. Nothing made sense. A car that didn't need to refuel. A helicopter that couldn't follow a road. Cars exploding next to people, but the person not only lives but gets angry and goes on the attack. FBI that have no tactical support. Bad guys that are both super-villains, but also mind-numbingly inept. A sheriff that can't tell the citizens to go find somewhere safe when there is an evil army coming their way. Johnny Knoxville (and all that that entails). A man who dies in a policewoman's arms outside a medical centre and they don't even take him inside for a blood transfusion and a defibrillator. I mean, you die, but there's still a chance for you. You'd be like, 'don't mourn me! take me inside and let the doctors have a go at me, please!' This isn't the worst film I've seen lately, but it's down there. Flight, The Host, Bullet to the Head, Red Dawn, Pain & Gain, Wanderlust... all infuriatingly awful films in their own right. Let me just finish by saying- I hated this film and it should never have been made. Long gone are the days when an Arnie film was a must-see joyride. This film made me want to cry. Thank goodness I didn't pay to watch it.

Meets expectations

Author: Harry T. Yung (harry_tk_yung@yahoo.com) from Hong Kong
18 January 2013

Our retired governor of California delivers what is expected of him, returning to Hollywood. This movie that has every ingredient you expect from one in this genre is neither brilliant nor incompetent. It gave me a little over 100 minutes of relaxing (not despite, but because of the sometimes frantic action) time in the cinema which I still hold is the place to watch a movie.

Plot line: in a small border town, a squad of 5 unlikely heroes (gender-neutral), against all odds, stops a drug lord "with an army" (the drug lorad, that is, not the heroes) from escaping back to Mexico. I wouldn't bother with the details.

Arnold Schwarzenegger is the way over-the-hill sheriff who relives the glory of his hay days in this almost suicidal undertaking. No, Forest Whitaker is not the villain but the L.A. law man who seems to be always one step behind him, until the small-town sheriff steps in to help. Nor is Peter Stormare, who plays the villain's right hand man and steals the show. Jaimie Alexander who showed her mantle in "Thor" as beautiful and lethal Sif plays one of the deputies. There is more than a dozen other characters, quite adequate to provide the movie with variety, if not depth.

All told, fun to watch.

Sadly, Utter Garbage

Author: rqrose
16 June 2013

I watched this movie out of respect for the two main actors, but even they could not carry the writing of this utterly bland overly-long car commercial.

This is the type of movie made for ignorant cube-workers who have nothing better to do with a Sunday afternoon. There was nothing new or original about this movie. At least with the Fast & Furious series you see ridiculous antics, comedy, and get to learn about new parts of the world.

The story line is so ludicrous it is like a made-for-TV movie. A few police officer out-gunning military trained ex-mercenaries? A rookie cop out-sniping a trained tactical sniper? A drug lord with only ONE option for getting out of the country? The AIRFIELDS are closed?! Any pilot will tell you planes can take-off and land in fields, highways, lakes, and even rivers.

The two main actors were decent, but other than that what was good about this movie? The war on drugs has been lost for the last 20 years and only Hollywood and the government don't seem to know it.

Just A Good Old Boy Fighting Bandits!

Author: HollywoodJunket from Hollywood
16 January 2013

A small town is involuntarily and abruptly awakened to the biggest fugitive chase by the FBI in Lionsgate's "The Last Stand" directed by Jee-Woon Kim and starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Forest Whitaker and Johnny Knoxville.

Colorful characters surrounding law-enforcement riding the tails of illegal cargo (a fellow FBI agent and the fugitive himself) inside of a super-charged sports car could very well be an updated spin on the classic 1977 film "Smokey and the Bandit" which starred Burt Reynolds and Sally Field.

Fans expecting to see a good Schwarzenegger action film like the old days will not be disappointed in "The Last Stand". It's one-of-a kind mind-blowing stunts, mostly involving cars, and quirky towns people along with cheesy dialogue delivered with great comedic timing is all wrapped-up into an enjoyable adventure ride.

Arnold plays Sheriff Ray Owens of Sommerton, Arizona - a small town out in the middle of no where. As a former narcotics L.A.P.D officer he had too much of a bad deal which ended in a lot of bloodshed. As a result, he sought out a much more quiet career in law enforcement in Sommerton. As the town's sheriff, his most demanding responsibilities is jailing drunks. His deputies Jerry (Zach Gilford) and Mike (Luis Guzman) pass their down-time with target practice on hanging raw meat. One deputy's need for more adventures leads to his request for Owens help in getting hired at the L.A.P.D. after the highlight of his work there is rescuing a cat from a tree. As they say, be careful what you wish for because their sleepy little town soon turns into a hot spot for danger literally over night.

The town's worst nightmare starts when a failed milk delivery arises suspicion from the town's local waitress, Christie. After sending his deputies Jerry Bailey (Zach Gilford) and Sarah Torrance (Jamie Alexander) off to investigate, Owens soon discovers that there's something fishy going on with the last homicide in Sommerton and has a gut feeling it's connected with an earlier sighting of questionable diner patrons and an escaped convict, Gabriel Cortez (Eduardo Noriega) who's said to be headed their way. But, not just any convict, the most threatening convict of all - a third generation of a drug cartel family and as FBI agent John Bannister (Forest Whitaker) puts it, not since Escabar has a convict been as threatening.

"The Last Stand" is filled with smart action and impressive car stunt scenes. Some of the things that the featured car- a custom, converted corvette stolen from the L.A. Auto Show by Cortez and his minions is capable of- racing at speeds higher than a helicopter and apparently lacking the need for gas. The fact is that this villain is one that has truly lead a charmed life and doing the actual dirty work is not in his agenda. He passes off all of the heavy-lifting to pre-selected criminals who help him make his escapes in his ultimate goal to pass back over the border into Mexico.

Arnold Schwarznegger proves to still have his action movie game in him by not letting fans down by delivering his traditional, signature macho, humorous style trademarked to his characters. One memorable scene of the film is when Arnold's character goes into the local diner to warn the workers and customers to go home because they are in harms way. One of the senior citizen customers says he just ordered one of the most fattest breakfast's and does he look like he's afraid of death. The other older patron agreed - as they both sipped on their beers. In a follow-up scene at the same diner, after breaking through a glass door, the customers and workers ask Arnold how he is doing as he's in the middle of battle with Cortez's crew. He pulls himself up off of the floor and responds, "old".

WARNING: For those of you with weak stomachs I must advise there are some graphic scenes.

- HollywoodJunket.com

If not for the director, this would be DTV.

Author: Jason Kleeberg from United States
19 January 2013

I saw this tonight with four friends. There were 7 people total in the theater.

This movie is TERRIBLE. Terrible to the point that it's funny, but still terrible. The dialog seems like it was written by a ten year old. The action is pretty good, except for the final battle.

The comedy and "one liners" are just bad. It's nearly on the same level as Collateral Damage.

It will probably be a cult classic because of how bad it is (ala Punisher: War Zone). I think people are giving it a free pass because it's Arnold. Anyone else makes this movie, it would be getting skewered right now. I'm excited he's back on the big screen too, but I swear, sometimes people have blinders on.

Don't waste your time

Author: kettle kettle from United States
3 May 2013

While watching this I felt like I had been transported back in time to the 80s. Except I wasn't watching a good 80s action movie; instead I was watching a bad 80s action movie.

Every scene is contrived; a character races across the desert at triple-digit speeds, in a 1000+ horsepower Corvette, without ever needing to stop to refuel. Characters in moving vehicles win a shootout against a barricaded opponent who knows they will be facing trouble. A character standing in the open defeats a squad of FBI HRT operators. A helicopter loses track of a car traveling on the only road for hundreds of miles. The antagonist drives in reverse at, what appears to be, double digit speeds, etc. This movie is one giant facepalm.

I imagine that we are supposed to be left in suspense, on a journey with the protagonists, in an attempt to guess at what the antagonist will do next. Instead we are left baffled by the buffoonery of the Federal agents and the obviousness of everything.

Bottom line: if you're looking to relive the days of bad 80s action movies; this one is for you.

"Good for him. Good for him."

Author: Jan Kalina from Czech Republic
20 February 2013

And splendid for us, the audience. Arnie's back! After small cameos in The Rundown ( This blink-and-you-miss-it cameo also served as passing the torch to new action star, The Rock aka Dwayne Johnson) and The Expendables finally comes an action film with Arnold as the lead.

Directed by a South Korean Jee-woon Kim who is known for bloody and violent films so this information promises a great film filled with right ingredients for Schwarzenegger movie. The film starts off slow to develop the characters which is great at least you care about the characters. Arnold might be older now but he's still go it to be an action hero. The only problem is that this film is not doing well at the box office. The planned return of the 80's is not going according to plan, which is sad because the films reminding us of the most probably best times of action films are well made films. I have seen it in a packed theatre so I guess that is a sign positive word of mouth will bring a lot of Arnold's fans to theatre.

Johnny Knoxville is not only tolerable but he is also funny. His character bring some of the funniest moments in the film. Jaimie Alexander shows once again that she can pull of amazing kick-ass heroine. Let's hope she gets more screen time in the next Thor movie. Harry Dean Stanton who is her for one only scene is just unforgettable just as the dialogue in his scene. Forest Whitaker, an Oscar Winner, gives his usual magnificent performance which sometimes seems very funny given the context of the film and its ridiculous plot.

The violence in modern movies is not the same as in the 80s, 90s. I don't want to sound like a maniac but given the credit of Jee-woon Kim I expected this film to be more "off the chain". It is like the studio executives came on the set and told the director to tone the violence and blood down. Even when things get violent it is just not the same as it used to be. Despite some flaws this film still is a great mindless fun action ride and that is exactly what I expected and it's great to see Arnold back on the big screen.

Awesome action film Arnie can still kick ass.

Author: rbmaclachlan from United Kingdom
30 January 2013

I went to see the last stand I have to say that I was impressed with it all the only thing I would say that let it down a little was the poor villain but other than that a very good watch. I have to say that Arnie's return was great just like old times when I was a kid watching terminator for the first time that movie for me was the Arnie starting point from then on he was an idol to me and still is to this day. I really enjoyed Arnies performance in this because it was more character driven rather than just lets go shoot something even though that happens in the last part of the movie his character motivation for doing so is warranted overall I am really pleased that he has returned and keeps on entertaining for a long time to come well done Arnold.

A bit mangled, but a decent enough return to film for Schwarzenegger

Author: davideo-2 from United Kingdom
26 January 2013

STAR RATING: ***** Saturday Night **** Friday Night *** Friday Morning ** Sunday Night * Monday Morning

Sheriff Ray Owens (Arnold Schwarzenegger) oversees the law in the sleepy American town of Summerton, resigning to a quiet life after becoming fazed by the brutality of more hard line policing. But all that looks set to change when notorious drug lord Eduardo Noriega (Gabriel Cortez), who is scheduled for death row, breaks free from custody in Las Vegas and comes hurtling in a fast sports car towards Summerton to rendezvous with right hand man Burrell (Peter Stormare.) In a battle of odds with FBI Agent John Bannister (Forest Whitaker), who is hot on the trail of Noriega, Owens takes a stand with his deputies to stand firm and protect their little town.

After a ten year absence, during which it seemed unlikely he would ever return to acting, it's easy to appreciate the void Arnold Schwarzenegger left in the world of action cinema, and indeed cinema in general, and for sheer nostalgia to overwhelm your opinion of this new film of his. The Last Stand, unwittingly, could make you hark for his films of old and want to re live the sheer, unmistakable magic you could only get from an Arnold film all over again. Hell, the length could even make you forget that his last few films before he became 'the Governator' were of mediocre quality at best, or even make you think they weren't so bad after all. It is surprising, and certainly very nice, to see him back on the big screen again. And, while The Last Stand is certainly not without it's qualities, there are some big flaws that stop it from being a mesmerizing come back.

While he seems to have exhausted himself with his own self publicizing, with certainly a few TV/magazine interviews in the UK prior to the film's release, it's weird how little publicity the film itself seems to have received (I didn't even see a trailer before going to see it.) It's hailed as Arnie's big new come back, with him prominently headlined as the main star, but it's strange how little screen time the big man seems to occupy, especially in the first half. For a short while, it sort of becomes the Forest Whitaker show, as the big prison bus escape unfolds. Not a good thing, when you think he's already drowning in a sea of co stars, including Stormare, Luis Guzman and Johnny Knoxville as the town's resident, er, jackass.

He seems to have a slower, more gentle, considered presence here, his scenes giving the film the same feel one of Clint Eastwood's more modern films would have. Given his age, I think this is for the best, as the thought of him on wires or using stunt doubles wouldn't be very good. The main problem the film has is it seems unsure of it's tone, whether it wants to be a solid, compelling action drama or more like one of Arnold's more wackier, wise cracking earlier films. Rather than turning to more modern, flashy directors like Jee-Woon Kim, it would be interesting to see how Arnold himself might prove, directing one of his own films, in the style his old mate Clint does. ***

Page 2 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]