IMDb > I Didn't Come Here to Die (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

I Didn't Come Here to Die More at IMDbPro »

B Movie Bliss

Author: dabulk2 from United States
19 January 2013

I decided to kill time and get a film from Redbox and sure enough I picked up this gem. Basically, a group of 20ish year olds go out to the woods to build a campground as a humanitarian project. The premise is not scary until they begin to die by accident one by one. It is actually pretty funny and the gore presents itself quiet well. The acting isn't that bad, but the characters are kind of stereotypical but I enjoyed a majority of the characters. I was impressed with this one and hope to find it to purchase soon. I recommend it to any gore lovers looking to have a movie night with some friends. Definitely pick this one up!

you really have to sit through the first 40 minutes...

Author: trashgang from Midian
18 February 2013

Friends of mine told me that this was a must see because I'm into exploitation. And the fact that it contained horror should be the real thing for me. And they were right, the opening did have an exploitation look, in fact grindhouse style. And the opening credits were 100% grindhouse but after that I was left with a bitter feeling.

It took in fact almost 40 minutes before things go wrong. Yeah yeah, I know, there's an eye popped out before that but it was more an accident. The ending i did have a laugh because that you couldn't see coming. The acting for such a low budget was indeed well done. And the effects used were sublime but there was too much of blah blah in the beginning. Once the chainsaws come in you have to watch what is going on. The last part is okay. Luckily they didn't use the shaky camera's like they did before the opening credits throughout this flick.

I still don't know what to think about this hyped flick. It has all ingredients it do need, nudity, gore, red stuff, suspense. guess the first 40 minutes did me almost reach for the fast forward. A slow builder in fact but not overall a horror. It's more about circumstances and illusions that all go awry in some way overtoned with black humor.

Gore 2/5 Nudity 1/5 Effects 4/5 Story 2,5/5 Comedy 1/5

I Didn't Come Here To Die makes you rethink volunteer work

Author: rgblakey from United States
18 January 2013

With so many horror films being released straight to video, the only real selling point is usually the cover art. While more often than not they deliver some cool promotional images despite the film still falling short. The latest film not only delivers another appealing image, but also a perfect old school title I Didn't Come Here To Die. Could this be one of those hidden gems that pop up from time to time or be another forgettable addition to the genre?

I Didn't Come Here To Die follows six volunteers working on a humanitarian project in the woods. When horrific accidents begin to happen human nature takes over leading to rash decisions and unpredictability where it becomes everyone for themselves whether they know it or not. Going into this movie you think you are going into a full on slasher horror style film, but sadly that never happens. While there is plenty of gore and kills all of it chalks up to just random accidents, panic, and mental anguish. There is a lot of build up here heading nowhere. The story plays pretty straight forward and for being clearly having a small independent budget doesn't look too bad, but beyond that this film offers little. The actors are pretty average to bad which would be fine if there was more substance to the film, but sadly there is nothing. They seem to be trying to do something clever, but instead deliver a film with no point what so ever.

There are some funny moments, including some of the kills as well as a few great gore moments including a chainsaw to the face which is the best of the entire film, but never really packs that punch needed to make this anything all that memorable. If you decide to give this film a chance, just prepare yourself for the low budget and the lack of direction and you may end up still having a decent time.

Fresh, Fast, and Fun

Author: FilmFatale from Carnival of Souls-ville
15 February 2014

I've been watching a lot of 80s slasher flicks lately, so I watched this on a whim because it's always nice to have a "palate cleanser." When it started, I was really afraid I'd gotten into another terrible found footage film. Then as the group of six volunteers were introduced and stopped off at a small-town market, I was afraid it was another hillbilly redneck torture film. However, I'm really glad I stuck with it because I Didn't Come Here to Die really went out of its way to give me plenty of fun. It's best to go into this one as blind as you can, because it takes you on a lot of unexpected turns in its brief 80-minute runtime. The young cast members are pretty good and there are some choice gore scenes and a fairly clever script. I liked this one a lot.

Watch this!

Author: dawulf from United States
9 February 2013

We really enjoyed this movie! It is worth watching if you are a fan of B movies. It doesn't have a huge budget and no really big names but it is fun! Think Tucker and Dale versus Evil without Tucker and Dale.

They shot this film to look like a 70's movie and if they had dropped cell phones and the music you could almost believe it was the 70's. The movie begins at the end and then shows how they got there. The deaths were creative.

I took away the following things from this movie.. First, I will show it to my niece who wants to move away and join a similar organization as the characters. I will let this movie be her warning. Second, I will always look over my shoulder in the woods before I turn around. Third, I will follow all safety instructions. Fourth and most important, I am not going to the woods! It never ends well.

A fun low budget romp

Author: Scott Portals
27 January 2013

I haven't reviewed in years, but felt compelled to with this one since it strikes me as a diamond in the rough for fans of horror. I'm not going to rehash the plot much as there's no need: a group of volunteers go to the woods and bad things happen. No elaboration needed.

The intro to this is a well done throwback, but as the movie continued found myself weary of the picture quality and the acting. Felt so low budget that I almost turned it off and dismissed it, glad I didn't.

Once the action starts it keeps going until the end. The movie has some great gore and tension. Giving the budget they pulled off some great scenes, the fx are better than most low budget horror, but not Hollywood for sure.

I rented this for a dollar and some change at redbox. The cover picture is misleading, ignore that. I've kept this review purposely vague as you will get more from it if you just watch it. Mostly for horror fans who don't need a huge budget and all plot holes filled to enjoy a movie.

p.s. - skip the previews on the DVD and just go to the film.

Fun, fast paced, and beyond insanely ridiculous.

Author: hi_im_manic from Atlanta, GA
15 January 2013

There are sound issues with this movie that irritated Me from the beginning. The opening music was quite loud, however the voice track throughout is nearly inaudible under normal sound settings. I had to crank the setting up to 55, when I usually keep it set on 16.

Moving forward... I was pleasantly surprised by the cast. All unknowns (to Me anyways) yet they manage fairly convincing acting overall. The casting of the characters was very well done, and each was believable in his/her role. The film manages to avoid the cliché characters of this genre. There's no smoking hot blonde bimbo, no token black guy, no problem-solving genius creating solutions, no do-gooder acting as the groups moral compass, and no heroes. It makes this a refreshing departure from the norm.

The gore effects were also surprisingly good, I couldn't help but squirm and cringe a couple of times. It's a very nice job for a low budget film.

While the dialog is pretty nicely written, and manages a few clever chuckle moments, the story itself isn't very realistic. Just how many unfortunate tragedies can actually occur within a 48 hour period? Too many accidents, too many coincidences, too much insanity all occurring simultaneously. There are so many unbelievably illogical, poorly-conceived events occurring that it will have you shaking your head. A couple of dumb decisions, especially due to emotional distress or alcohol is understandable, but not in this capacity. It's all beyond ridiculous. For example, can anyone imagine a sheriff who would pull someone over, spill their tearful personal story of woe with the driver, then hand the driver their loaded weapon and tell them to start shooting? I don't think so! Sure, it's a fun concept but absolutely ludicrous.

Interestingly, what makes this film a gory horror is not some outside force. There are no monsters, ghosts, cannibal mutants, or knife-wielding psychos preying on the group. The hell that ensues already lies within the individuals themselves, the rest is left to fate.

The run-time is short, the plot moves along fast, and there's not a lot of dialog, so even those with the shortest of attention spans will find themselves engaged in this gory show of utter unbelievability.

An ode to low budget horror films

Author: mdnobles19 from United States
15 January 2013

I Didn't Come Here To Die is probably one of the best efforts from a low budget horror film I've seen in awhile. The gore effects were great, especially the chainsaw scene, all of it looked raw and painful. The film blends comedy and horror very effectively, that it reminded me when I first saw The Evil Dead, but blended with Final Destination, just not as great as those. They definitely did wonders with their very limited budget, for instance the tent scene with the spooky shadows that kind of reminded me of Freddy Kruger. The film also reminded me of the superior low budget horror film Dead Wood, but I think this one will have a better chance to become a cult classic, maybe.

The acting was surprisingly decent and the characters were oddballs, but very entertaining to watch and at times hysterical. You felt bad for them, as horrible luck comes to them in every corner, but this is completely a tongue in cheek type of film, that makes it a messed up riot. The characters might be the typical ones found in horror films but their demise isn't and it was refreshing.

Director and writer, Bradley Scott Sullivan seems to know and love horror films and this film is evidence. It's like a loving ode to the little horror films that could, like for instance The Evil Dead. His filming style was retro brilliance and I dug it a lot! I will for sure keep an eye out for him and I can imagine great things if he has a much larger budget.

Overall, there was some hype surrounding this film when it first hit, but I can't unfortunately say that this film deserved it. I can say that I enjoyed it for what it accomplished on such a small budget and its balanced blend of horror and comedy. I think it could of been a tad better and delivered crazier mayhem, but it got most of the job done in a surprisingly, effectively well matter, especially for a first time director. I liked it, but I wish that I could say that I loved it; I was just sort of disappointed with the film as a whole. Definitely worth a watch for horror fanatics though! 6.9 out of 10

Smartly written and the acting is exceptional

Author: jerrygoff from United States
19 July 2011

A great twist on the tale of a young group of volunteers find trouble in the woods on an overnight trip. The set-up is classic teen horror but the story is unique and the acting is excellent. Love the ending! Didn't see it coming.

Bad things happen to this disparate group of kids but there's a humorous and campy undertone. Not a dull minute and the story and the conflicts build exponentially. A variety of mistakes and accidents point towards a mysterious force. Imaginations run wild in the camp and paranoia runs rampant.

I really enjoyed the screening in Austin at the film festival and I'm eager to see it again. Bravo to the whole cast and crew! It was a hoot.

I just watched this back to back with "pitch perfect".

Author: LovinMoviesMakinGames from United States
17 January 2013

I just watched this back to back with "pitch perfect". Sorry, just had to start with that. The two movies couldn't be more opposites. But I watch so many movies, that I just end up seeing everything. With that in mind, I do grab a lot of indie films. The horror Indies are more often than not, quite awful, with bad acting, ridiculous effects, and disjointed plots. "I didn't come to die" didn't come to suck. It had none of those shortcomings of indie horror. They focused on what they could do within that budget, the story they wanted and did it very well. No horribly fake half-done CG, just some gore, just enough, to tell the story. I enjoyed the characters in the film. They seemed much more "real" , complex , and unpredictable then in most of these films. Just like every other movie, this one has been done before. The camping in the cursed we go nuts area. So I have a measuring stick to compare. And this one did quite well.