IMDb > "Misfits" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Misfits"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Misfits" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

The best thing ever shown on E4

Author: kaboomboomboom from United Kingdom
10 December 2009

Misfits has been described in a lot of reviews as a cross between Skins and Heroes, however, in my opinion, it doesn't contain the biggest flaws of these shows- pretentiousness or unoriginality. I'm *not* slating these shows, I'm just saying that as quite a comic-book fan, it's difficult to watch or read something about characters with superpowers without ripping it apart- getting irritated by the plot lines that are taken, or 'influenced' from other sources and neither does it have an impossibly good looking set of people living a life you can't help but envy, no matter what drama has unfolded in their life due to partying too hard. Misfits is very unique and while you can guess some plot lines of the show, you can never guess what'll happen next episode.

What Misfits provides is a group of interesting, likable and believable characters involved in well thought-out stories that are not over-complicated but still challenge the audience.

To complete the show, the episodes are also full of thick, dark humour.

Overall, it is an excellent show.

Heroes.On.Crack!!!

Author: yinkawills from United Kingdom
2 December 2009

Misfits is the story of what happens if teens who are juvenile delinquents (convicted of minor, not major crimes) get super powers. And as its a British TV show, there's more foul language, rough sex, sharp dialogue,obscenity and eccentricity than it would be if it were an American one. I watched the first one out of curiosity not expecting much, but was hooked. At first (and second and third) glance, the characters are unsympathetic. Kelly- an aggressive version of Vicky Pollard, Alisha- a sexaholic, Curtis a disgraced track star, Simon a kid so withdrawn he's heading into creepy territory, and Nathan the smart-arse whose snark makes you laugh AND want to kill him. A disparate bunch forced to do Community Service under court orders as an alternative to jail. They get superpowers from a freak storm- and then its a thrill ride all the way. Violent attacks, murder, burying bodies..from the action packed first episode its a hair raising thrill ride with some amazing music in the soundtrack. The actors are superb. This is MUST SEE TV!

Best show on TV right now

Author: j-cameron22 from United Kingdom
26 November 2009

Where DID this show come from? Though it's not the most original concept (freak lightning storm strikes and gives a ragtag bunch of community service workers special powers) this show rises above Heroes and the many clones by bringing enough freshness to the table. Now I'm judging this show having just watched the first two episodes. At first it looks like your average Skins type rip-off but it very quickly establishes an intriguing plot with lovable characters and unexpected twists aplenty. The script is sharp like a razor and offers laugh-out-loud moments and witticisms to rival the best episodes of Friends or Fraiser. All the misfits are perfectly cast and brilliantly acted with just the right amount of cynicism and pathos and the situations don't seem forced like Heroes often does but emerge logically and organically from the characters. Even the powers themselves extend from the character's personas. Fantastic show. I cannot recommend it enough!

Surprisingly Fresh !

Author: ah_bitter_dregs from United States
21 November 2009

Considering the scenario has been recently done into the ground by numerous TV shows and movies, Misfits has a surprisingly fresh take. I like the realism in the dialog countering the surreal happenings. It's the kind of show that can make you feel like you are really there or it could really happen. The characters work well together, the acting and script are well done so there is nothing awkward or difficult to follow in the face of multiple characters. Very good looks into personal realizations that make the watcher wonder how they would feel in that situation. Much attention to detail, you won't be watching the show and picking out obvious flaws that are so annoying in many shows of this genre. I simply have not found any yet. I hope to be watching for many seasons. Brilliant !

Go Britania, Go!

Author: hejsamester from Denmark
21 December 2009

Brilliant! People seem to refer to Heroes when talking/writing about Misfits. This isn't valid as Heroes is a very different series. Misfits is about some ordinary late-teenagers getting super powers - Heroes is about Hollywood characters receiving superpowers and saving the world by being superheroes.

The storyline of Misfits is twisted and clouded. Until now no one seems to be using their powers for anything weird and they still do their community service. I like that. They're not suddenly super heroes and nothing fancy is going on.

The more I see of British "telly", the more I love it. The budget is smaller, the realism is more important and the various series seem to be shorter with focus on quality instead of ability to survive a buck load of seasons. Go Britania, go! As the Brits would say: SPOT ON!

Brilliant, entertaining and funny

Author: psaphier-611-157124 from United States
17 December 2009

I've had the good fortune of being able to watch this show online as I'm from the States. This show is brilliant and funny and deserves to be seen by viewers here too (USA). I look forward to watching the surprisingly fun and energetic cast perform some really great rolls. The cast work really well with each other and I hope that Misfits get the recognition that it deserves. Sure the effects are a bit cheesy but overall this is not what this show revolves around. It has potential to be something more but I still give it 10/10 for the originality. Comparing this show to Heroes (which obviously has large budgets and production value)is a waste of time as both shows are totally different. I found this show by accident and I'm hooked. I've told my friends to watch it and many are following me and saying that this show, despite its low budget and production value is worthy of a following.

Crass, perverse, vile characters... superb!

Author: illusio_uk from United Kingdom
18 December 2009

Never have I laughed so much at a bunch of snotty, revolting weirdos who should be deserted on a remote island for the sake of the rest of us. Have just finished watching episode 6 and am dying for another series to be made. Episode 2 made me snort my tea through my nose with laughter/horror/revulsion, it was epic.

I don't get the comparisons with Heroes - other than the 'superpowers', this bears no resemblance to the 'save-the-world' schtick and good-v-evil piety Heroes is full of. This is definitely black (with a collection of mottled stains that it's best not to ask about). I'm still undecided about Simon (sweet underneath or fundamental embryonic psychopath); I'd have to throttle Nathan if he were my offspring, but he's a joy to watch, I look forward to the series' 'ressurrection'......

Fantastic Television

Author: darkspringxl from United Kingdom
8 January 2010

I must admit that not once did I think of 'Heroes' when watching this programme, although now the point has been raised I can see why people would compare the two. What this programme does is show what a fertile ground British TV still is as not only is it very well cast, but the writing, direction and production design match anything that out US friends can do. Along with Skins and The Inbetweeners Channel 4 have now got another great programme that is 'yoof' but also appeals to an older audience. It is very dark, very twisted and quite often very very funny.

Initially I found Robert Sheehan's character 'Nathan' to be really irritating to the point that I thought he would ruin the programme, but as the show progresses he really is the heart of the whole thing and by the end of it I realised he was far and away the best thing in it !

Sheehan is certainly a face for the future, so too Lauren Socha who as 'Kelly' again initially seems like a real 'Chav' before blossoming into a very rounded character who you can sympathise with. Following her work in the Arctic Monkey's 'Scummy Man' promo she could also be one to watch.

If this was US produced I dare say we'd have had a minimum of 12 episodes to season 1, but the six we do get are excellent.

It would be a real crime if this doesn't reappear for a Second Series by the end of the year.

Flawless Execution

Author: Livewire242 from Canada
7 August 2010

Science fiction shows usually suffer from poor writing and awkward acting in their first season. They take a season or two to really get warmed up. This cast just clicks from day one. It may have something to do with the age of the cast. They're young enough to take sci-fi acting seriously. Older actors tend to make it look campy. Take Doctor Who for example, or even Torchwood.

And the writing is so crisp and imaginative it's hard to believe this guy has no writing credits before 2005. Howard Overman is sure to be a well-known name in British broadcasting for years to come.

BAFTA award well-earned.

A very good fit.

Author: wrbills from United Kingdom
20 November 2009

(I have revised my original draft) Now we are a few weeks in I have a better idea of what this show has to offer and it is now a clear 9/10. Misfits is a odd piece of obscene teenage drama mixed with a perfect example of a sci/fi dystopia. What you get is classic TV. The story follows a pack of rogue young adults ejected from society for a variety of problems, they have an armoury of asbo's and criminal offences and the majority are crass and vindictive. Yes, your average UK teen.

A storm rolls over head and the group are morphed into super humans with a peculiar talent that seems to mimic they own personality traits. There are many things good about it: Firstly the cast are supreme. The young actors clearly get stuck into their roles and are enjoying every minute. Secondly, I love the fact that this is a blend of the teen shows with sometimes extreme content. That had to be the longest topless scene in history of normal TV, yet it was acted flawlessly. The dark elements of the story mix wonderfully with the concrete foulness of the environment the group find themselves in, well done to whoever located that youth centre. What really won me over was the one episode where the Irish chap puts on yellow ski glasses and asks the misfits to guess who he is... "I'm an annoying c unit" - "I'm Bonno". And that classic bit where he throws the brick through the car window and is asked by the Social worker if he is special. "If I was special I would have missed". The Big Lebowski bowling scene was not lost on me either and the Misfit tribute to 'the dude'is faithfully executed.

This show is still clever, still very engaging and the male rape scene in the toilet is such a sophisticated take on a difficult subject that it is difficult to imagine where the writers are going to take us next. This show is becoming truly exceptional and I have no doubt that cult status is coming, we just need a few more people to see it. I still have no notable negatives at this stage beyond the fact that I will have to wait for a second series.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]