IMDb > Premium Rush (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A Cycling Riproaring Ride

Author: james1844 from United States
26 August 2012

It's not a 10 star film but it is a fun ride with action that makes up for a few flaws in plot and the flow of storyline. The best issue in this film is almost constant action and wild biking through the New York streets. One of the elements that were new to the screen and highly workable were the sudden stop of action to follow the split-second decision making of a messenger/biker. Choices (usualy three) that have to be made in the moment. The bad guy in the film is nasty and very believable. So, if you're looking for a thrill ride and a fun film then go see it. Enjoy the earthy feel of the cameras that capture the life of a messenger on two wheels competing with trucks, cabs, and cops.

Life in the Bike Lane

Author: patrickwigington from United States
25 August 2012

An action movie about biking through the streets of Manhattan is certainly an interesting idea, and may seem a bit silly, but writer and director David Koepp manages to create a fun and exhilarating film around this premise. Premium Rush is the type of movie that gets better as it goes on, expanding on its characters and creating riveting and never tiresome chase scenes.

The story is a little over the top, but that hardly matters. Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays Wilee, a bike messenger who loves to ride through the streets of New York like a maniac, with no gears and no brakes. He has a girlfriend who also works for the same company, although on this particular day she is mad at him for not showing up to her college graduation. Near the end of the day, Wilee gets a package from his girl's roommate. This package is of some special importance because a dirty cop, played with exquisite menace and insanity by Michael Shannon, wants the package in order to pay off his immense gambling debt. So of course a chase across the city ensues throughout the remainder of the day.

One of the major benefits of this movie is that it is not told in strict chronological order. The first scene shows Wilee crashing and flying through the air, only for us to travel back in time to earlier that day. Once we meet Michael Shannon's character and have a nice chase, the movie again backs up for a bit, revealing what the dirty cop was doing earlier that day. This helps the movie to avoid being simple and tired. In fact, the movie has an energy that is on par with its bike riding characters, who seem to hardly ever tire of pedaling.

Koepp directs the movie with a flare for Manhattan, where the entire movie was shot. The film makes a big deal about life in the city, while minimizing the gaudier aspects of filming in the big apple. There is no sweeping shots of Time Square or the Empire State Building, and we don't even get a wide shot of the city until the very end. Instead, Koepp immerses us in the town, and by extension the characters that know it so well. At times the script falls into the realm of cheesiness, especially when it comes to some of the one liners, and the all encompassing pride that Wilee has in his work.

Premium Rush is an exiting action movie, and the best one out about bike riding. Michael Shannon's fantastic performance and the on location shooting make this movie an energetic and awesome ride.

thatguythatlikesmovies.blogspot.com

Scenery is on the menu, and Michael Shannon has a voracious appetite!

Author: (themoviemark@themoviemark.com) from http://www.themoviemark.com
24 August 2012

I'll be honest – when I first saw the trailer for Premium Rush I was a bit skeptical. I scoffed at the idea of a thriller built around the premise of a bike messenger delivering an important envelope on time. But you know what? This is one of those rare late summer releases that comes out of nowhere and entertains you way more than you could have expected.

There's no pretense here. No delusions of grandeur. No misguided Academy aspirations. Premium Rush is a film that recognizes the boundaries of its skin and is completely comfortable in it. It's simply a fun, fast, and intense 90-minute ride that's equal parts tension and comic relief.

Rather than potentially spoil any of the details, I'll let you watch the finer points of the plot unravel on screen. Multiple back-stories are told via time flashbacks, so some of the events might get lost in the translation if you're not paying close attention. What you need to know is that the essence of the film rests in following Joseph Gordon-Levitt's bike journey through the streets of Manhattan as he attempts to deliver his envelope with a scene-stealing Michael Shannon and an I-take-my-job-way-too-seriously bike cop hot on his tail.

You'll recoil and cringe as JGL weaves in and out of traffic, avoiding vehicles and pedestrians alike. You'll laugh as the aforementioned bike cop continually regroups and continues his quest. And you'll love to hate Mr. Shannon as he deftly demonstrates his character's impulse control issues.

I've always heard people say how good of an actor Michael Shannon is, but I've never really seen him in anything. I will definitely seek out more of his work after enjoying his performance in Premium Rush. His hypocritical diatribe on how disgusted he is by the lowering of today's standards had me laughing several minutes after he delivered it. I loved this guy!

I also enjoyed what I am branding the "alternate scenario cam" – whenever JGL finds himself in a tight situation, the camera shows him quickly calculating his possible routes and their potential outcomes, many of which end in hilarity and disaster for either Mr. Gordon-Levitt or an unsuspecting pedestrian.

Premium Rush keeps the pace tight and the audience engaged. The camera work forces us right in the middle of the traffic and the blaring car horns, allowing us to experience the tension both visibly and audibly.

The film's main drawback is its abundance of profanity and crass talk. The worst offenders are one f-bomb and more than 10 uses of G-d**n.

Premium Rush never takes itself too seriously, and neither should you. As long as you check your expectations at the theater door then I'm confident the majority of you will find that this film – much like its bike messenger protagonist- delivers.

a sub-par action film with poor dialog, average acting, and lackluster stunts

Author: tbmforclasstsar from United States
12 September 2012

On paper and from a financial standpoint, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that Premium Rush was made. It is a high speed action film about bike messengers delivering packages set in New York. Not saying that there is no potential for entertainment there, but it seems like it would be down the list for green-lighting compared to fighting robots and action heroes blowing half a city up. But somehow, Premium Rush was given the go-ahead, landed some quality names in Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Michael Shannon, and the film hit theaters. Unfortunately, the thriller ended up being nothing more than a middle of the road action film that is easily forgettable.

Gordon-Levitt stars as Wilee, an energetic bike messenger that lives by the simple rules of riding like hell, only using a fixed gear/steel framed bike, and never using brakes. One afternoon he is sent to deliver an envelope by his girlfriend's roommate, Nima, but finds himself in a fight with a crooked cop (Shannon) who wants the delivery. Turns out, the envelope holds a receipt for a great deal of money that Nima trusted Wilee to deliver. It also turns out that the crooked cop is in a good deal of trouble with gambling debt and plans on stealing the receipt to pay off his problems.

So the plot is nothing great; need to make a delivery, crooked cop chasing you, can't trust the police. But what does the film have to offer? Well, Gordon-Levitt and Shannon both play their characters well, but there is not much too it. The characters are pretty one dimensional and seem more like a payday gig than a role someone really wants to take up. Perhaps they seem like better actors because Jamie Chung who plays Nima is so bad. Every line that roles out of her mouth is forced and she seems extremely uncomfortable on camera. Not only was this extremely distracting, it made everyone around her worse, specifically one scene in a bathroom between Nima and Wilee's girlfriend, Vanessa. Maybe Dania Ramirez is pretty poor throughout the film, but her scenes with Jamie Chung are particularly brutal.

To read the rest of the review (IMDb form too short) visit: http://custodianfilmcritic.com/premium-rush/

Quite a good little action flick

Author: zetes from Saint Paul, MN
26 August 2012

Now this is how to make an action flick! A small one, mind you, but it's one of the most fun pictures to come out this summer. Joseph Gordon-Levitt stars as a bicycle messenger in Manhattan who lands the unfortunate job of delivering a small slip of paper worth a ton of money. Corrupt cop Michael Shannon, trying to pay off a Chinatown gambling debt, gets wind of the item and attempts to relieve JGL of it. Unfortunately for Shannon, JGL is a pretty darn fast rider and great with stunts, and soon he has the help of his girlfriend (Dania Ramirez), who is also a bicycle messenger. It's just a simple chase movie, but it's perfectly edited and paced, with well-timed jumps back in time to explain the situation. The actors are all fine (I also really liked JGL's professional and romantic rival, Wole Parks), but Shannon really steals the show. This is the perfect place for his style of menace. Well worth your time.

Steel Bike --- No Brakes -- Don't Miss

Author: clarkj-565-161336 from Canada
25 August 2012

I often wondered what the difference between my bike and the newer ones are. I got my bike in 1988, it cost a bit of money but it has lasted 24years and still looks brand new. When I looked in detail what I saw amazed me. First of all the steel tubes are not just sawed and welded together, there are special sleeves that are fitted onto the tubes and then the tubes are welded to the sleeves, vastly increasing the strength. Whoever wrote the script for this movie knew about bikes.

I was thrilled throughout the whole movie. The first thing I liked was the character of Wilee as portrayed by Joseph Gordon-Levitt. It gives me faith that there are still people with integrity that don't drink all KoolAid we are force fed. Wilee is one of them, and so is his girlfriend Vanessa, another super cyclist. In fact so is the whole crew at the bike delivery company. The acting is great, Michael Shannon is the perfect d..bag! The chase scenes were cliff hangers, what I loved the most were the stops that Wilee made by swinging the bike to one side and skidding sideways...really cool!

The scenario with the money and smuggling the child from China was well researched. Really a tightly woven well executed movie.

I Want To RideMy Bicycle

Author: tony_cochrane from Earth
21 September 2012

I used to own a bike..then I bought a car..anyway. Basically guy on bike versus bad guy in car. With the whole love story slash you could a been somebody thrown in. I really enjoyed this movie. It's definitely leaving the brain at the door, but in a nice way. There are no major action scenes. Acting, storyline, action, ending..I literally can't fault any of this. The director kept it very realistic; with a hint of... dare I say eighties ..we can do it nostalgia.

For the movie buffs I'd say, Gleaming the cube mixed with Taxi (original french version..we all known US version was rubbish). Adrenalin sports guy takes on the system. Watch it.

How to (possibly psychotically) navigate NYC streets - and Michael Shannon's gaze

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
25 August 2012

Premium Rush is a commercial film that sticks to being a 'B' movie with some A-movie assets - chiefly the actors Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Michael Shannon as the hero and opposition - and David Koepp does a very good job balancing those elements. It could have been just a straight to video title, but it's smart about being a little movie (that is, not quite as on the radar as a big summer tentpole), and has a script that can hold its story and juggle a few elements with more than just competency, that you can go for the ride without being insulted. And yes, it isn't just hyperbole saying it's a 'ride'; here, as in some TV shows (only here with better visual intentions than just quick- adrenaline-fixes), we see with big visual effects the scenarios our hero Wiley (yes, perhaps ironically named as he is really the Roadrunner) navigates the streets, his main route, and then when he's at a cross- walk and cars coming on all sides which of three paths he could take and if he'll die or not or kill others.

Sure, most of us (those of us walking or driving in a city, such as New York) don't like bike messengers, but it's in abstract or in the all-too personal. Koepp's cleverness is to look at a bike messenger on the street and go 'hmm, how about a movie about him and what he has to do, and then what if we throw in a crooked cop and a mob element and a woman wanting to reunite with her kid?' A lot of these elements on their own (and perhaps still the woman with the kid) could be under-cooked or just not very interesting. Altogether, they amount to something, rather that the elements can connect through Michael Shannon's cop Detective Monday (or "Officer Ackerman") who sets a lot of this into motion through his comically inept gambling addiction and inability to get money together - or a ticket from a bike messenger.

Some of this may just seem like 'screenwriting 101', with pieces like the woman with the son and the hero's conflicts (love interest, side- opponent in another bike messenger, the latter I didn't care for as it was too weak on its own and in the movie), but hey, in a first-level class there can be good work done! It's not even a 'turn off your brain' kind of suspense thriller either; Koepp has enough experience to inject, along with his co-writer, really funny or witty dialog, solid (albeit 'movie') character dynamics as people ride on their bikes and can speak on their blue-tooth phones. It's so good when watching the actors bicycling along, and some stunt doubles but who knows when they really use them it's so well integrated, it almost slows the movie down when they have to stop to fill in the spots of the story's quasi- MacGuffin object in the envelope.

But mostly, it's the acting that carries it through. Gordon-Levitt is an appealing lead, likable but has a tough attitude when he needs to, and of course you got to go with him. But without Shannon, frankly, I don't know if the movie would have been as successful, at least to the level it's at now. He's such a convincingly kooky-looking villain, brutal, nasty, but cartoonish in a big way (listen to his laugh, or chuckle, and it's a touch of Chucky the doll or something!) Even in a supposedly marginal Hollywood thrill-ride, Shannon brings his A-game.

Fast and furious... On bikes

Author: Bene Cumb from Estonia
3 January 2013

The movie is set around bicycle messenger/courier who chases and is chased around New York City due to an envelope containing a wanted item by people with different intentions. The events - not shown in chronological order, through various flash-forward and flash-back cuts - are intense, but not too realistic: New York is full of policemen, on foot/in cars/on bikes, and it is not likely to race and speed negligently for miles through dozens of blocks, causing accidents or incidents... Chases are, however, gripping to follow, and thanks to great performances by Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Wilee and Michael Shannon as Bobby Monday, the movie goes beyond trivial cat and mouse play (only pity that Monday did not have the same vehicle than Wilee). Female performers, on the other hand, are not very catchy and romantic/sympathetic background is rather perfunctory.

The movie is definitely for you if you like fast races and thrill within a big city and/or you know NY well (joy of recognition).

Premium Rush is a fast paced thrill ride

Author: Tom_Soprano
9 October 2013

I have just watched 'Premium Rush' and I have to say I'm very impressed with it. This isn't your huge blockbuster but it is something different and keeps you on the edge of your seat.

I liked the plot and it was very clever how we saw flashbacks of various things, twists and turns, going in back in time and seeing a different perspective. This really linked the film together nicely.

The action is just thrilling and something different. The chases are fast paced and frantic, it is absolute chaos on the roads. There is some great stunts, its far fetched but its crazily fast. Definitely a film for all the adrenaline junkies out there.

One part of the film that I really liked was, when Wilee was in danger of potentially crashing the bicycle, we see how his mind works. We see 3 potential routes he can take to avoid injury so he can decide the best way to go. Some of these parts are cleverly thought out and also quite funny in parts.

The acting was up to scratch, there was a few characters who added something different. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Dania Ramirez played a very likable pair.

Overall this is a good action thriller type film, suspense builds and the movie is just fast paced. I really enjoyed it, much better than expected. Would recommend it to anyone and I would certainly watch it again. 85 minutes of carnage.

9/10.