IMDb > Vamps (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Funny enough

Author: alexander-75-640939 from Berlin, Germany
25 August 2012

I saw Vamps at the Fantasy Filmfest, where the comedy was well received by the public. The main actors were very funny, Alicia Silverstone and Krysten Ritter make a good duo. The story was fine and most of the jokes were great. The film is aimed more at middle-aged people than teens so I doubt it will be very successful. It is a little gem, yet miles away from Clueless or Fast Times. There was more potential for horror or gore, it is very tame in that department. Also, Sigourney Weavers sire vampire of both Goody and Stacy was too tame a character for my taste. Malcolm McDowell, Justin Kirk and Wallace Shawn were funny and as always great in their supporting roles. They can do no wrong.

A Fun Film

Author: synikk
7 January 2013

I can't believe how many negative opinions surround this film. I mean granted, its not Oscar worthy or going to go down in time as one of those incredible films, but the humor, sarcasm and light hearted tone are greatly enjoyable. Perhaps some people cannot vibe with the blunt somewhat twisted humor, but I loved it.

This is a film for people who want to simply watch something fun. It's never serious and simply a parody. The cast and acting were excellent and I really liked seeing all the stars. I think this movie makes fun of the current state of our culture and perhaps that is what annoys some viewers. It also attacks our cultural vampire-obsession which has become quite ridiculous in my opinion. So, perhaps this is not a movie for twilight fans as it may ruffle their feathers? I don't know.

As a fan of vampire films and light hearted comedies, this film fully delivered for me. It's kind of got a feel good vibe but also a lot of demented moments. Perfect for me :) I would recommend to anyone who likes vampire movies, comedies or cheeky dramas with some slightly twisted humor.

Vampire Success

Author: Miriam Hogan from United States
25 October 2012

I saw this movie and died laughing. I'm a huge Heckerling fan of course, and Vamps fits right into her already ridiculously impressive catalog. Alicia Silverstone is hilarious and adorable, and Krysten Ritter is even better than she was on Breaking Bad (which is practically impossible in my opinion.) This could be my favorite Silverstone movie of the decade, just sayin'. Wallace Shawn is ruthlessly hilarious as always, and Sigourney is at her most devilish. And then out of no where, Justin Kirk shows up (Uncle Andy, from Weeds) and he had me cracking up from his vampire accent. And Malcolm McDowell too... this cast is stacked. The movie is a real delight. Fingers crossed for a sequel!!

An Uneven Movie Surprisingly Funny and Cute

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
16 May 2013

In Manhattan, the vampires Goody (Alicia Silverstone) and Stacy (Krysten Ritter) share an apartment and work and study in the night-shift. Goody was turned in vampire in 1840 by the evil Cisserus (Sigourney Weaver), who turned Stacy in the 90's, and they became best friends but Goody never told her real age to her friend. They only drink mice blood and refuse to drink human blood, and they go together to the Vampire Anonymous.

Stacy falls in love with her classmate Joey (Dan Stevens), and soon she learns that he is the son of the vampire slayer Dr. Van Helsing (Wallace Shawn). Meanwhile, Goody meets her former passion, Danny (Richard Lewis), in the hospital where his wife is terminal. When Stacy gets pregnant, Goody knows that the only way that the child can survive is killing Cisserus, since they would revert to their human ages. But nobody knows here her lair is.

I was afraid to see "Vamps", based on the background of director Amy Heckerling, with movies like "Clueless" and the franchise "Look Who's Talking" and the poster that recalls "Sex & the City"; so I was expecting a shallow sex and the city with vampires.

But I was wrong and I have just decided to see this movie and I found it surprisingly funny and cute. The screenplay has brilliant and lame moments, and the result is uneven. The footages from the past are outstanding and the conclusion alternates between a corny and a beautiful ending. I would never go to the movie theater to see "Vamps", but it deserves to be rented on DVD. In the end, I have enjoyed this movie. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Vampiras" ("Vampires")

Unexpectedly good as well as bad

Author: siderite from Romania
7 November 2012

Any rating of this film would be flawed, because it is a collection of extremes rather than a smooth average. Some of the scenes or references are great, especially for some older people, while some are simply horrendous. The cast is great, but the performances average. Some of the ideas and dialogues are incredibly interesting or funny, while others are simply garbage. You would have to watch it to truly tell if you liked it or not.

I never liked Alicia Silverstone, but at least before she was young and sexy. In this film she plays a vampire that has found a reason to live in her much younger friend and colleague in blood sucking. They are good vampires, meaning they only terrorize mice. They are part of a Vampire Anonymous organization where they count the years sans human blood, together with Vlad Tepes (which no one even remotely pronounces correctly) and a bunch of others. Things get more complicated when their maker Sigourney Weaver becomes mass homicidal and one of the vampires falls in love with a Van Helsing and becomes pregnant.

There is much to be said about references on older films and characters and history. That part was truly emotional. Unfortunately it wasn't done well and most of it would mean nothing to iPhone people anyway. And who else would look at a film with vampires that is labelled a romance? Also some of the acting was horrendous and some of the characters superfluous. There were some very funny jokes, peppered here and there, but overall it felt rather dull.

Bottom line: I had expected either a Sex in the City with vampires or a sexual exploitation of the genre. I did not expect deeper meaning or funny dialogue, and I was pleasantly surprised. But only bits and pieces were thus, while the rest was utter nonsense.

A vampire movie with a bite of comedy and romance...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
8 December 2012

I must say that "Vamps" was actually better than I had expected it to be. Sure, this is a chick flick, but still it was actually enjoyable.

Why? Well because of the cheesy and campy story, but also because it actually boasted some pretty impressive names to the cast list! And for a chick flick vampire romantic comedy it actually had some adequate special effects as well.

The story is about two ladies, Goody (played by Alicia Silverstone) and Stacy (played by Krysten Ritter) who are roommates and vampires! (Wouldn't a better term be coffinmates, then?) Living in New York, the two vampires have to deal with modern life and dating in the modern age. But something is threatening the vampire community, and can vampire find love in the Big Apple?

For a movie of this caliber, the story was actually fun and entertaining, despite being as campy and cheesy as it actually is. But what really made the movie work was the list of people credited to the cast; Alicia Silverstone, Krysten Ritter, Sigourney Weaver, Marilu Henner, Richard Lewis, Wallace Shawn and Malcolm McDowell.

Something did strike me kind of odd though. Why would Vlad Tepes be living in New York, that was just a bit too far fetched. And also since they stayed fairly true to vampire lore and mythology, how come the vampires cast shadows? How come when they cast no reflection, you could clearly see the reflections of Goody and Stacy in the restaurant window when they carried out the Chinese guy? Or how come Goody's gloves were off in one scene, then magically appeared on her hands in the next, only to be off again moments after during the dancing scene? And finally, during the hilarious nosebleed scene, how come the blood was down to almost touching the upper lip in one scene, then magically retraced and just under the nostril in the next?

Despite these visual mistakes, "Vamps" is actually a fair enough movie. But hand on heart, then I am sure that you'd enjoy this movie a whole lot more if you are a woman.

Surprise! - Now I like Vampires a lot more

Author: AthenaStardear from United States
3 January 2013

Starting with the end, I felt refreshed and positive after watching this. Movies like that score at least 8/10.

This movie stands apart since most of the "Vamps" are unanimously endearing. I can think of a lot of movies that aren't like that.

Funny to say the least. Great laughs when I wasn't expecting it.

Almost extraterrestrial in some surprising ways, with a sustaining image reminiscent of a few sci-fi flicks.

Pokes fun at groups that could stand a few pokes.

Might be a harder sell for some in the "under 20" crowd.

Certainly under-rated at the time I wrote this when the IMDb was only 4.7. A solid 8/10 overall and consider the occasional "comic" budgeted CGI a positive.

A Nutshell Review: Vamps

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
3 March 2013

How far the mighty have fallen indeed. In 1995, writer-director Amy Heckerling hit the nail on the head with what would be the definitive chick flick of that decade with Clueless, and propelling its lead Alicia Silverstone into super-stardom, launching words and phrases into collective acceptance. Fast forward to today, both didn't quite have projects under the belt that rivaled their early success, so I guess coming together again was probably an opportunity to find their collective magic, and what's none better than to tackle a popular subject matter for film - Vampires.

Granted that Alicia Silverstone is no longer the teen that she was, Amy Heckerling has created quite a smart plot device, which provides Silverstone with playing an older character, but able to retain her relatively youthful looking features for the story of the undead and immortal. She plays Goody, a 2nd generation vampire who was turned by Sigourney Weaver's Cisserus in the late 1800s. In today's context, Goody managed to save Stacy (Krysten Ritter) from Cisserus, convincing the latter of Stacy's fashion sense and the need to stay with the times. So Goody and Stacy become "blood sisters" after the latter gets converted, staying in their coffins in an upmarket swanky New York apartment, leading the good life but only at night, but are at the beck and call of Cisserus when she goes out hunting for human blood.

It is probably in the mantra of human-friendly vampires to be sucking on blood of vermin, following the Twilight model. And Twilight dictates the falling in love, so there's a huge sub- plot revolving around Stacy and her relationship with a Van Helsing bloodline in Joey (Dan Stevens), where soon their differences get discovered because you can't really hide the fact that one is without a pulse, or body warmth, with pale skin that had hardly seen any sunlight. This of course raises the suspicion of Joey's father Dr. Van Helsing (Wallace Shawn), himself a vampire hunter given their heritage, and with Cisserus going around killing folks for sustenance, you'd know everything would converge and come to that necessary climatic finale to have all narrative loose ends resolved.

But underneath this candy and sugar coated sweetness, lies a rather dark tale about love, and the cruelness imposed by immortality. People you love would come and go, and there's always more than enough folks wondering why you just won't age together with them. It's an incredibly lonely process, and a heartbreaking one, as epitomized by Silverstone's character of Goody. But of course there are those who live it up given selfish motivations, and drunk by immense power that the undead status brings. This contrast is what propels the story right to its touching finale, which is rather surprising if one happens to contend and condemn the film solely on its trailer and promotional material.

Effects are laughable though, if you forget that this film is firmly set in B-territory. There's no masking of its limited budget, and the deliberate use of plastic props whenever possible, with tongue-in-cheek effect. Even the CGI is completely amateurish, a throwback to things down some two decades ago, which highlights just how cheap the production really is. But it contains a decent story, with romance and comedic elements to allow it more breadth in its narrative. Sigourney Weaver hamming it up these days in various support appearances also makes it a little bit fun, but the winner here are the darker tones that lie beneath its surface, if you'd only give this film a chance, and look a little bit deeper. Recommended!

Light, smart and fun...

Author: painterjane25 from United States
22 November 2012

If your in the mood for something frothy, let me recommend this flick. Amy Heckerling tells a nice story, with sharp direction, candy colored set design, and some enviable fashions. It is a vampire movie with heart, but has some welcome nods to movies of horror's past. Alica Silverstone, is back! She is as cute and sweet, as ever, and has the air of timelessness, the role needed. Richard Lewis, does an amazing job, his best role in years. I kind of fell in love with his character. In interviews he seems like a scattered mess, but he was perfect in this role of an ACLU lawyer, who was the Silverstone character's love interest, many years ago. Krysten Ritter, just proves she is the girl to watch, I have yet to see her do any wrong. Matthew Crawley from Downton Abbey, is her love interest, a Van Helsing. And it makes for fun bit with his fam, headed by the wonderful, Wallace Shawn, wish this guy was in every movie. Great music. The sweet nerd from Revolution, plays a hipster Renfield, and Justin Kirk, plays a Russian vampire, sire (funny stuff). Perfect popcorn flick for girls of all ages.

A vamp-com!

Author: Lilia Pond from Finland
18 October 2012

Well it was a silly movie,but in a good way since I enjoyed it! It's story of two vampire girl friends living as normal as they can in the nights of NY (being roommates, they share an apartment, and sleep in two coffins, ahahah). Some things they were doing were actually hilarious. The ending could be said to be bitter-sweet, but definitely left me with a good vibe. No masterpiece of vampire movies, but right for a fun night. Alicia Silverston and Krysten Ritter were a good vampire couple, and I can't say anything bad about the supporting cast. I hadn't seen Sigourney Weaver in a long time, so it was quite a surprise. She is quite good at comedy, should do more!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]