IMDb > The Search for Santa Paws (2010) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Search for Santa Paws (V) More at IMDbPro »

Kids will love it

Author: JenEvans1 from United Kingdom
30 November 2010

Watched this with our grandchildren aged eight and four and they were absolutely enthralled! I can understand why the other reviewer criticised it, if you compare it to the Santa Clause ones, then it certainly falls short but then most Christmas films would, wouldn't they?. Just because a film is not the best one in a category doesn't mean that its a failure. This one certainly isn't! Don't forget you are dealing with children here and they have not seen the hundreds of Christmas films that we adults have. I would guess that they are not watching to see whether the dog's voices are in sync with their mouths, either.... My grandchildren loved it. I won't hear a word against it. Nuff said?

Too Scary for Target Audience

Author: from United States
17 December 2010

I watched this movie with my daughters, ages 6 and 3, and personally enjoyed many aspects of it, but my children were pretty scared. As mentioned by another reviewer, the images of children being yelled at and having their special toys burned in the furnace were very disturbing, especially for my 6-year-old. The movie presents some important themes, such as the healing power of love and kindness. But, unfortunately, I'm not sure the target audience (young children) will be able to see past the scary parts to catch the messages.

I also agree with the reviewer who said the Santa was a little scary-looking. His character is wonderful, but he has so much make-up on, he does look a bit strange.

Overall, I would not recommend it for kids younger than 7--and I'm not sure if it would hold the interest of kids older than that, unless they really love puppies and Santa.

This is a Christmas movie for KIDS?

Author: bunecarlos from United States
17 December 2010

The talking animals and kids are cute, and if you can make it past the cruel orphanage administrator who casts children into a creepy basement as a punishment and a dying Santa in a hospital (that included an oxygen mask and tubes!), you just might like the happy ending in the last 5 minutes of this awful movie.

My 8-year old twins either just sat there quietly or cried throughout, as my wife and I reassured them that Santa wouldn't die.

Richard Riehle is a good actor (see: Office Space), but miscast as a odd-looking, less-than-robust Santa. Most mall Santas would have been a better choice.

A bit bland

Author: rds_1 from Netherlands
12 November 2010

I can't agree with the other reviewer (the one that is advising this movie as opposed to recommending it!?). Don't just trust reviewers that give the full rating.

This movie is more in line with the low quality we've been seeing more and more the last 5-10 years. Nickelodean started with this low quality crap, Disney followed when they saw that this low quality stuff still got a decent amount of cash in.

I like a good Christmas movie (like Santa Clause and Jingle All the Way) but this isn't it. It is however mildly amusing, would like to give it 5.5 stars but had to round it up.

Summary Santa goes to New York with his dog to get the Christmas spirit going some more but soon gets hit by a car and gets mugged losing his magic crystal and his memory by the blow. The dog ends up searching for Santa and Santa himself ends up as a store Santa. Making the little shop very successful. Everything else is very cliché.

Now the acting looks very acted. The script is pretty lame too. Has the overall feel of a children's play. Oh yeah there is the occasional "burst out in singing" too (who likes that, no really who?).

The special effects aren't to good either. Looks rather fake, the reindeer, the magic sparkles. The moving mouths of the animals speaking are pretty good though.

Oh by the way this Santa is one of the most scary looking Santa's I've seen in these sort of movies. They tried to make him look like the jolly Santa often portrayed in coloring pictures but that doesn't work very well in real life, especially the blush cheeks.

Unbelievably Distubing "Kid's Movie"

Author: k-pedana22 from New Jersey
5 January 2011

This was, hands down the most awful, disturbing "kid's movie" I've ever seen. My 2 year old daughter was horrified and confused as I promised her a cute doggy movie... and had to reassure her that a doggy was going to appear on screen soon. I, too, was fooled by the cute fluffy white puppy on the cover of the DVD. 20 min in, no sign of a dog! Terrible story line, horrible acting and the scariest looking Santa ever!!!!! I thought I was at times watching "Annie". Having orphan girls mop floors with old metal buckets, sleep in the basement next to an incinerator, and dressed like characters out of the original "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". Yet, the head Mistress drove a lime green VW Beetle and wore hooker boots for her date with the freaking dog catcher... Santa almost dies, the puppy nearly gets burned, a preschooler jumps into an incinerator to save a stuffed animal... weird, creepy, awful, disturbing... the four words to describe this horrendous movie. I'm embarrassed for Disney!

AWFUL for young or sensitive viewers. Spoiler Alert.

Author: missramsey from Canada
3 December 2010

Prescreen SANTA PAWS before you let your little kids watch. Cute puppy and Santa on cover, looks fun and innocent.

Inside, old man dies, mean headmistress throws toys and threatened to throw children in the incinerator. Infertile couple with self centered husband. Orphans crying for their parents. People saying Santa isn't real through the whole movie. Santa gets robbed, hit by a car, then he almost DIES. The only way to save him is for the beloved fluffy puppy to give up his crystal and turn back into a stuffed animal.

Of course it ends well but we had to fast forward A lot. My 3.5 year old was very upset and was horrified through everything but the cute puppy and jolly Santa parts.

In my opinion, this movie focuses too much on how rotten people are and not nearly enough on the Christmas spirit and goodwill that the cover and description sets you up for.

I don't' know anything about the other 'buddies' movies, but I would not buy this movie for children under 5 who still believe in Santa.

Good Kids Movie

Author: msnellen82 from Richmond, VA
29 November 2010

I really enjoyed this movie, and my two girls, age 4 and 1 did as well. The plot line was great, with a lot of suspense. It's just like one of the Buddies movies, without the Buddies. Its has a lot of the same characters as the Santa Buddies movie, which was a little confusing for my 4 year old Buddies lover, when there were no buddies in the movie. This seems like it could be more of a prequel to the Santa Buddies movie. Unlike the previous review, I thought the animated characters looked pretty life like. Of course their mouths moving aren't going to look like humans mouths moving! But if you are familiar with the Buddies movies, you know, and are used to that. I hope you and your children enjoy this movie as much as me and mine did!

Spoiler Alert: if you haven't seen this movie yet.

Author: andersoncaseylee246 from United States
9 March 2016

I loved this movie and it came out when I was 19 yrs old and I loved it, because of the singing, and of course i was a little disturbed by the mean orphanage administrator lady, but luckily in the end she was banned from that house, and that was funny if you recall another little Disney movie called "The Parent Trap" the one with Lindsay lohan not the 60's parent trap the 1998 one is the one i'm talking about. the mean administrator lady was like the gold digger girlfriend/fiancé of Nick Parker just so you know. And in the end of both of them they both got what they deserved and the happy ending should or is supposed to make up for the awful beginning and middle of the movie and especially when you see will and Quinn get adopted by the huckles/hucklebuckle's and the hucklebuckle's grandfather's lawyer Mr. Stewart after he left and looked up in the sky and said, "Merry Christmas, you got your wish".

Wonderful family film

Author: vchimpanzee from NC
30 December 2015

At the North Pole, a stuffed white dog turns into a real animal Santa Claus names Paws, who becomes the old man's best friend.

In New York City, Mr. Stewart brings James and Kate Huckle to the Hucklebuckle toy store James' grandfather left to him. Despite James having a lucrative CPA practice in Los Angeles, the couple cannot sell the business until they run it profitably during the weeks leading to Christmas.

Nearby, a social worker brings Quinn to her new foster family. Ms. Stout hates Christmas, or anything that will make her girls happy, and she has high expectations of the girls, who are home-schooled and must do chores. Punishment means being locked in the basement where an incinerator destroys any contraband.

Quinn won't talk at first but when she does, she is incredibly cute. And she can sing. Willamina is the oldest and takes charge when Ms. Stout is gone to her hairdresser or elsewhere. She is nice but unlike the other girls has lost her belief in magic.

Santa's sleigh crashes in Central Park and the old man wanders the city not knowing who he is. Paws also ends up wandering the city. A thief steals Santa's magic crystal and Santa gradually begins transforming into a mortal. The thief takes over a kettle with a bell from another Santa and raises funds--for himself.

Santa discovers the toy store. James and Kate have decided to hire a Santa to attract kids and this man, known as Bud, needs a job. Somehow he is perfect and lots of kids come to the store, which becomes a big success.

Included among those kids are the bubbly Quinn and her cynical "big sister", both of whom get punished for their misdeeds. For one thing, they took in Paws and kept him hidden, though as a nonbeliever Willamina only sees a stuffed dog. And Paws, like Santa, has a magic crystal that produces wonderful and colorful results, and a delightful musical number. Will the girls turn Ms. Stout into a believer? Will Willamina believe?

Mrs. Santa wonders why her husband is taking so long to come back. She and Elpert go to New York City to find out what happened. They find out from a young boy where Santa might be. Also very helpful is that thief who stole Santa's magic crystal and is turning into the old man--and is not as happy as you might expect.

Meanwhile, Santa is developing serious health problems. And Paws becomes a stuffed animal again. Can they be rescued in time?

This is a good family film. Kaitlyn Maher is a treasure as the absolutely adorable little star. Richard Riehle is familiar to me and makes a great Santa. I know Wendi McLendon-Covey as a smothering and very loving Jewish mom, and she effectively plays a very different character here (though not so different from when the TV mom feels her kids have been wronged). Madison Pettis is good as the older girl.

Bonnie Somerville shows much more enthusiasm than the cynical John Ducey. Patrika Darbo makes a wonderful Mrs. Santa. I seem to be seeing a lot of her.

And the various actors providing voices do a good job too.

Yes, this movie can be scary at times, but it's fine for kids. You just know everything will turn out okay.

Very scary.

Author: naunga from Reston, VA
19 December 2015

This is a dark, dark movie. It is certainly not a feel-good holiday movie.

It starts with Santa getting a letter about a friend passing away.

From there it's constant peril:

* Santa gets hit by a car and robbed in the street.

* There's a crooked foster mother who locks children in the basement and burns their toys in a garbage incinerator.

* One of the little girls actually gets into the incinerator to save the dog (who is now a stuffed dog) from being incinerated.

* Santa ends up in the hospital near death, and his elf's efforts to save him seem to be a failure.

My 7 year old daughter looked at me in the middle of it and said, "this is really scary."

Granted in the end there's a happy ending, but it really doesn't offset the peril that the viewer has to endure.

I do not recommend it.