IMDb > 127 Hours (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
127 Hours

127 Hours More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 44: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

No Oscar win? Shame on them.

Author: arginnon from Budapest, Hungary
4 May 2012

This movie was simply amazing! James Franco's performance is shockingly natural, hilarious and even scary at some points. The film tells the true story of a man, Aron who is stuck in a canyon with one bottle of water for over five days, without telling anyone where he went. Judging by the plot, the film could've sucked, could've been average, but it was over the top.

Danny Boyle showed us many times before that he is a genius, now he has proved it. All the shots are spectacular, the way of storytelling is interesting and the film is amusing, exciting and moving. It shows the suffering of Aron in a very naturalistic way, you feel the same way he does. I don't recommend this film for those, who can't take much, but it is truly a masterpiece.

Don't get me wrong, I loved The King's Speech too (it truly deserved to win the Oscar), but this film somehow had a greater impression on me.

Don't go hiking alone!

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
3 May 2012

I had first learned of Aron Ralston when he appeared on a talk show and told of his harrowing experience. Now that I've seen "127 Hours", I can tell you that it's also a harrowing experience. Not just an excuse for shock value, the movie is basically about the will to survive in the most dire situations. The movie is also about how Ralston changes. Starting out as a footloose, extreme mountain climber, his humanity becomes apparent as he realizes that there's only one way out of his predicament.

James Franco plays Ralston to a tee, showing the man start to go delirious as he eventually decides on drastic measures. Much of the credit also goes to cinematographers Anthony Dod Mantle and Enrique Chediak, who create just about every angle in the confined space where Ralston finds himself trapped by the boulder, emphasizing his feeling of desperation.

All in all, if ever there was a movie about the triumph of the human spirit, this has to be it. Those five days in that slot canyon in the middle nowhere truly put the carefree Ralston's fragility to the test. I wholly recommend the movie.

Powerful and beautiful

Author: leminhha93 from Vietnam
6 February 2012

Director Danny Boyle made a simple and straightforward premise - a mountain climber trapped in a narrow passage trying to make it out alive - into a masterpiece of cinematic work that is 127 Hours. The film transports the audience into the character's world and makes us feel immensely for him. You could feel his physical and emotional pain, his desperation, his hallucination - the entire experience of 127 Hours was created in such a way the audience felt directly in the character's shoes. The infamous climax scene got me recoiled and winced with pain - such reaction no gore horror or violent action film has ever elicited from me.

Needless to say, besides Danny Boyle's brilliant camera-work, it was James Franco's intense and terrific acting that made 127 Hours the masterful work it is. One drawback I felt though was of the film's length - perhaps the experience could have been more powerful had the film run for 120 minutes.

127 Hours, a thought-provoking, harrowing, inspiring, beautiful and brilliant film, will leave the audience in breathless awe and high in spirits. 9/10.

This rock has been waiting for me....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
5 March 2011

Aron Ralston believes he's invincible and can do it all alone while on his outdoor adventures. He considers the great outdoors his second home.

On Saturday, April 26, 2003, Aron has gone for an adventure trek alone through the generally secluded Blue John Canyon, and like he has done on many of his other treks, he has not told anyone where he is going.

But on this day, he and a small boulder fall down a crevice, he landing near the bottom of the crevice virtually unharmed, but with his right hand wedged between the boulder and the crevice wall.

He has access to his gear and his small supply of rations as he tries to move the boulder or chip away at it so that he can get his wedged hand free.

As either task seems impossible, he hopes for someone to rescue him.....

Boyle has made another stylish movie, with some very good camera-work, and has also gotten a fantastic performance from Franco.

It's beautiful to watch, and the slow decline of Franco and him hitting cabin fever is quite unsettling. Even though most will know the outcome, there is still a faint sense of dread though out the film. His hallucinations are very real and even after he has done his surgery and is walking out of the canyon, you feel that he may be hallucinating and he is still there. Every time he picks something up from the rock, There is a sense of desperation, and you are praying that he doesn't drop it.

This is expert film making from the Oscar winner.

The much talked about surgery scene isn't really bad, and last more than a few minutes, the camera angles keeping us from the actual arm, but to the painful look on Franco.

It's a good movie, very uplifting, and very psychedelic.

127 Hours

Author: junkielee from Cairo, Egypt
2 March 2011

From the first frame, the breathtaking beauty of the cinematography subjugated me since Danny Boyle's consistent visual concussion maintained at a high standard. I am not a rhapsodic traveler at all, still I was moved by the film and by the protagonist Aron Ralston.

The film deals with a quite essential proposition that when we encounter our incubus expectedly (for Aron, it was the stone, and for numerous others, it could be anything which may serve us as a hindrance), how to gather the courage, then exert reduction to practice to vanquish it eventually; the whole process is a personal sublimation for each individual as well.

The one-actor setting offers James Franco a chance once in a blue moon that he could take it as his career's magnum opus. Thankfully he lives up to our expectation and delivers a energetic and vivid performance which should be concluded as powerful and splendid! I put him as my No.2 BEST ACTOR 2010 (after Jesse Eisenberg) by far. Now 2011 Oscar has just finished, Franco's sluggish state does suggest that it is a wise decision that he should never meddle with emcee anymore.

I think the bloody nerve-cutting scene does persuade some potential audience from watching it, which I consider is a big loss, if one could endure the raw physiological torture (literally it only lasts several seconds at most), you will find it is worthwhile.

The flashbacks & illusions after the accident happened were well-crafted, diluted the humdrum of the crack setting and enriched the character too. It is an amazing payoff as the storyline is way too thin (compared with SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE) to be scripted into a feature length film.

After the overwhelming success of SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE (2008), Boyle's follow-up inherits his skillful interpretation and devotes an encouraging film which once again shows his surefooted talent to make wonders.

A very good film, but I do not consider it to be something exceptional

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
25 February 2011

I do not know whether it was good or bad that director Danny Boyle won so many awards and recognitions with Slumdog Millionaire. On the one hand, I am glad to see that his visual and narrative talent (which was underrated for a long time) was finally recognized; on the other hand, it seems that his future work will automatically be categorized as an "Oscar competitor" (at least for a while), something which could make him to create unreal expectations about his movies, and as a consequence, alter the perception from the spectators, who are always ready to overthrow their "idols". What brings me to 127 Hours, a very good drama based on a true event which comes to life under Boyle's solid direction, bringing us an interesting film experience...even though I would not consider it to be as exceptional as many people consider it to be.

Before watching 127 Hours, I thought that it was going to take a similar road to the one taken by the thriller Buried, by spreading to the spectator with the claustrophobia of a character trapped into a reduced space. And Boyle achieved the atmosphere very well, because even with only an actor confined into a hole with a rock over one of his arms, the camera is always fluid and unpredictable, capturing every scene from the angle or emplacement which transmits us the biggest emotional impact (and I am not only talking about the video camera with which the main character captures his most fatalistic thoughts). In other words, 127 Hours feels as dynamic as any action film thanks to Boyle's excellent direction, which is so energetic that left me breathless during some scenes, and so precise that it does not loose even one detail from James Franco's performance, something which equally contributed to keep me interested.

By the way, Franco brings a very solid performance which is worthy of the acclamation he is receiving. As for the supporting cast, I can barely mention it, because the whole movie belongs to Franco. Nevertheless, I think that Amber Tamblyn and Kate Mara made an efficient work with their brief roles.

However...even though I liked 127 Hours pretty much, I did not find it to be something exceptional. Its dominion of the suspense, the anguish and the emotional collapse from the main character worked for me while I was watching the movie; I also liked Boyle's direction, whose visual tricks have an emotional and narrative justification. However, I cannot deny that when the film ended, I felt the experience to have been a bit hollow and insubstantial. Nevertheless, I think that 127 Hours definitely deserves a recommendation because of its direction, performances and because it tells a very interesting story.

A terrible accident that causes an adrenaline junkie to stop and appreciate life

Author: fantasyescapist from United Kingdom
22 February 2011

Since this had been nominated for several Oscars, this was on my must-see list since this year began and I didn't regret finally seeing it.

Acting: We spend most the duration with James Franco and it's a very convincing performance. He really gives the impression that Aron grows from his initial(perhaps incorrect factually to the real Aron?) cocky, careless, hedonistic-type. When he's in pain(enhanced by the 'interference' type sounds towards the end), it all looks realistic. The other actors who could be called pretty much cameos all seem natural on screen.

Pacing and Plot: It was really well paced as I was glued to the screen all the way through and one man's triumph against adversity in a painful accident is always interesting subject matter.

Cinematography: The use of fast pace editing initially to depict his lifestyle, split-screen and hand-held is effective. Later on, his hallucinations don't feel too fantastical so it's incongruous yet odd enough to let the audience know what he's seeing isn't real. For a film set in mainly one place, the Canyon is shot in an way that it seems like a intriguing but an arid and hazardous place.

Score: Pulsating and fitting.

Overall, it's uplifting yet sad(as he had to amputate his own limb) to watch a young man have a renewed respect for life, through this terrible, costly accident. In such as quick moving world, through this very unfortunate situation, he's forced to slow down, with only his thoughts and video camera for company. A brutal wake up call that being reckless for thrills can lead to severe consequences, so it pays to be safe, rather than sorry (the epilogue also alludes to this, in as many words).

A rocking good movie

Author: rogerdarlington from United Kingdom
22 February 2011

In cinematic terms, this story - the true-life account of how in 2003 lone climber Aron Ralston found himself stuck in Utah's Blue John Canyon - is locked between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand, it is a cracking tale that would not be credible if it had not in fact happened. On the other hand, a narrative focused on only one person in one precise place, when every viewer will know the ending, is very limiting.

That it works so magnificently is down to British director Danny Boyle, whose fine work has ranged "Trainspotting" to "Slumdog Millionaire" and actor James Franco, star of three "Spider-Man" movies which could hardly be further removed from this fable. The story is 'opened up' by the incorporation of an invented encounter with two young women and access to flashbacks and hallucinations in Ralston's mind. Use of split screen, an atmospheric soundtrack, and superb cinematographer all enhance the experience.

When Ralston decides what needs to be done to live, it is tough on the viewer but ultimately this is a project that celebrates the triumph of the human spirit. In terms of sheer courage from a man alone, the only film with which I can compare "127 Hours" is "Touching The Void" (another true story) and, in terms of the static location of most of the narrative, I recall the movie "Phone Booth". But "127 Hours" - which actually runs for only 94 minutes - is a unique production.

A Milestone!

Author: nama chakravorty from India
21 February 2011

'127 Hours' is A Milestone Motion Picture. An Incredible True Story into a Film. Academy-Award Winner filmmaker Danny Boyle is at his best in here, he executes this story with magic. Easily amongst his finest works to date.

'127 Hours' is based on real-life mountain climber Aron Ralston, who became trapped by a boulder in Robbers Roost, Utah, for more than five days in early 2003 before amputating his arm.

A courageous, violent & winning true story is made into one heck of a cinematic watch. Boyle understands the story and executes each sequence like a seasoned player. Cinematography & Editing are awesome. Music by Academy-Award Winner A.R Rahman is legendary.

James Franco is a marvel. A performance that isolates you and makes you question yourself. Franco has delivered an act, that will make me remember him all my life!

On the whole, save for the amputation scene, this flick is an absolute must watch. Two Big Thumbs Up!

A potentially profound adventure handled like it wasn't. (Just not bad)

Author: Samiam3 from Canada
11 June 2011

Aron Ralston is trapped in a canyon in Arizona with his arm wedged between the canyon wall and a boulder. He has half a bottle of water, a pair of wire cutters, a video camera, and nobody around to hear him.

considering the hype for this film and the intensity of the premise, I was a little disappointed at the execution. To put it as literally as I can, director Danny Boyle takes a story that is potentially terrifying and he turns it into a music video. It moves too fast and contains disorienting flashbacks, clumsy cuts, over exaggerated music ques, and misuse of split screening. There is little sense of subjectivity or patience to the film. It shows a lack of faith in the attention span of its audience.

James Franco is easily more vibrant than anything in his previous career, but he doesn't embody the character as well as I had hoped. I didn't sense the desperation of the situation in his performance. He plays it quiet when it should be loud, and sometimes vice versa. Another problem with the character is that Boyle cuts around him too much.

As many mistakes as I felt Boyle made, He hasn't yet disappointed me as a photographer. Sunshine, Slumdog Millionaire, and even The Beach (which was slop) were vibrant and well shot. 127 Hours is easily the most vibrant of them all, making effective use of colour temperature, scope, and camera angles. One angle in particular worth noting is the intimacy of being inside Aron's video camera. There is also a memorable moment where we follow a rusty tool as it digs into his bloodstream. This brings me to my next point.

The much discussed arm cutting scene is seriously over hyped. I can name a dozen films that will make you more squeamish. Therefore, if this is the reason you've chosen to avoid 127 Hours then it's the wrong reason. A better reason might be to mark me when I tell you that it's a rather miscalculated experience, good in parts but too shallow and flashy for its own good.