IMDb > 127 Hours (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
127 Hours

127 Hours More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 45: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

A thrilling survival movie based on a true story!

Author: zemill from Sweden
7 August 2014

I remember when I first saw the poster for this movie a couple of years ago. I had no idea what it was about, but the poster caught my attention. I later discovered that the movie was actually based on a true story, of a man who got stuck with his arm between a rock in the middle of nowhere. He then survived for 127 hours (hence the title of the movie) before he cut his own arm off, and got loose.

I didn't actually see the movie 'till only a couple of weeks ago, and man. Did it really excel. The survival elements are excellent, and you can feel the struggle this man is going through. He tries desperately to stay alive and not loose his sanity and by that I mean if he really goes insane , he's done for. James Franco portrays the man who got stuck, the man being Aron Ralston and Franco really delivers. The pacing of the film is also great, which really surprised me. Because it's a movie about a guy who gets stuck in the middle of Grand Canyon, how interesting could that really be? Somehow they kept me on the edge of my seat all throughout the movie, and I'm really happy that I finally saw it after so many years. 127 Hours is one of the best survival movies I have ever seen, period.

The greatest movie ever made..

Author: Diwali_Jumbonads Diwali_Jumbonads ( from Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte
5 August 2014

If there is a movie which defines "masterpiece" this will be it. It has been a long time I saw a movie which really surprised me. You will never know what is about to come. And when it ends, you find the glimmering shine of hope. If this movie released against any other film besides Munnabhai M.B.B.S. or Forrest Gump I am sure it will soon sweep the Academy Awards.

I usually don't like watching a fanboy's favorite, but since this movie, i have already gone through a dozen on the top 250 list. Especially those with Morgan Freeman . ALSO Tim Robbins and Tim Hanks. A whole cast brings alive the spirit of 127 Hours. And my suggestion to all who haven't seen it already would be- add this to the top of your to-do-list.

The reasons that this movie is great are: it has incredible acting, incredible story-telling, incredible pace, incredible writing and dialogue, incredible imagery, and an incredible twist and ending.

The Godfather also has these qualities.

Daniel Boil is making a name for himself taking calculated risks with new directors (Hirani, Sarkar of Parineeta) and new talent. Great to see someone in Hollywood sticking their neck out to make something at least plausibly entertaining, not the usual "aging action hero" nonsense.

Fan of such Hope-giving and Inspiring films: 127 Hours

"127 Hours" is a beautiful and stylish true story that will make you thirsty and uncomfortable by just watching one man's extraordinary experience.

Author: Dominic LeRose from United States
4 August 2014

Being stranded with a boulder on top of your arm in the middle of nowhere in Utah while trapped in a canyon for 127 hours is probably one of the most physically and mentally difficult experiences mankind has ever experienced. Believe it or not, this is a true story based on hiker Aaron Ralston's exhausting experience. James Franco plays Aaron, the adventurous nature lover who's life is a little unorganized. When Aaron is hiking in Moab,Utah he meets two girls, enjoys the scenery and then becomes trapped in a canyon with a boulder on top of his arm, not allowing him to escape. Aaron films himself on his camera and uses his food and water supply conservatively. As Aaron reflects on his past life, we see how much he misses his freedom and the measures he's willing to take in order to escape. Danny Boyle films this genius true story with so much beauty that it feels like something out of discovery channel. We see flashbacks of Aaron's life with his childhood, relationships and family that are done very stylishly and are not just simple scenes with traditional dialogue. Boyle uses real-life looking shots of James Franco trapped to make it feel real and transports us to feeling as if we were trapped with him both physically and emotionally. The cinematography of the national park in Utah and beautiful scenes in which we get to feel Aaron's thoughts are the work of genius visual storytellers and put us first hand into the setting of the film. The whole message of this film is to take advantage of life while your able to, or else you'll spend the rest of your time regretting it. While Aaron is trapped, he reflects on how he hasn't worked hard enough on his relationships and how he really hasn't enjoyed life as much as he could have. The respectful tribute at the end to the real-life Aaron Rolston is well done and the ending is a very feel-good crowd pleaser. The main component that helps you feel the experience only the brave Aaron Rolston experienced is James Franco's realistic and beautiful performance. At first we see Aaron as a lazy, chill guy who enjoys clowning around. We get are fun James Franco there until he is trapped and expresses extreme forms of grief and stress as well as sorrow and regret. Franco gives an extremely realistic performance that is one of the best reenactment performances of all time. "127 Hours" is a film that makes us appreciate cinema and life more and hopefully be a warning to stay safe in Utah!

Filled With Emotion from Beginning to End

Author: Joshua Landeros ( from United States
17 July 2014

I've been a constant aficionado of Danny Boyle's work, and this film is one of best quite honestly. I came in expecting a simple tale of survival, but instead I found myself completely entranced by the story telling. Great visuals help to put you there in between the crevice walls and really make you experience the toll of the situation. The director and actor work together to portray a wide range of emotions and despite what you'd think the film never seems slow. Boyle even manages to achieve many moments of surrealism within it all. Imagine the terrifying and dark premise, and yet there are nicely done moments of comedy that fit in quite nicely. Of course, a large part of the film's effectiveness is the casting of James Franco. Words can't describe how awesome he was from start to finish. As an added bonus, it's one of those rare treats that for the most part lives up to its true-story basis. I highly recommend the film.

Who is Aron Ralston?

Author: hoxjennifer from Canada
23 April 2014

127 Hours is the incredible true story of a naive outdoors man/engineer who embarks on a journey into a remote canyon without telling anyone his whereabouts for the weekend. He gets into a terrible accident, leaving his right hand stuck under a boulder and no way out for, as the title implies, 127 hours. As he fights for survival, having to resort to very desperate measures, the viewer catches glimpses of his life - moments that he is fond of and moments that he regrets.

I was unaware that this film was nominated for several Oscars upon my initial viewing, but I'm not too surprised. The cinematography is brilliant which contributes to the way the filming was executed. More than half of the film is spent with Aron Ralston (James Franco) as he struggles to survive in the canyon - yet we never get bored of being there with him in the one scene. The storyline is also unique and the message is inspiring.

However, I did not give this film 10/10. That is simply because although we the audience got to know our protagonist as he struggled to come to grips with his predicament and realize his own flaws in life, I felt that the film was lacking in exploring his character before the accident. The first twenty minutes of the film before the accident occurs was, in my opinion, awkward and rushed. I didn't feel any genuine connection with the character and it seemed like the accident was just waiting to happen to get the film going. I would've preferred to learn more about him as a person just from the movie, although I haven't read the book to be fair so this is simply how it was written.

Great film overall.. but in terms of character development I felt like it could have started off with more and expanded further.

Not as good as expected

Author: slh1287 from United States
18 April 2014

Overall pretty good movie. Was slow at times, almost boring, but always bounced back. I realize that films made with 99% of the shots on one person have to be a little hard to keep interesting. Based on that, it was done well. Gave some intense scenes, and made me think about what choice I might make if put into his situation! James Franco did an excellent job, though. Before this movie, I had only seen him in comedies, but he does very well in dramatic roles, too. As of now, I've seen him play numerous different characters, but 127 Hours is the first film to make me take him seriously as an actor. So, again, great acting, just a little slow.

Pulse-pounding tale of survival

Author: PopCulturedwithMovieMike from United States
29 January 2014

127 Hours is an intense, edge-of-your-seat film that never fails to capture your attention even though most of the movie revolves around one person. Just in case you've been living under a rock (pun intended), 127 Hours tells the true story of Aron Ralston, played by James Franco, a free spirited adrenaline junkie who literally finds himself trapped between a rock and a hard place while exploring the Blue John Canyons in Utah.

Although most of the film centers around Ralston, it never lags and this is mainly attributed to director Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire). As if we didn't already know, Boyle proves that he is one of the most impressive directors working today. By using flashbacks, dream sequences and hallucinations, 127 succeeds in holding your interest the whole time. Also, his use of multiple split screens help keep the film visually interesting.

Another credit goes to James Franco, who gives the performance of his career as Ralston. It's not an easy task to be the only actor on screen, but Franco triumphs in every way possible. Franco portrays every emotion Ralston must have gone through while trapped; anger, sadness, and guilt, sometimes all in the same scene.

Ralston also manages to keep his sense of humor, mainly as a defense mechanism to keep from going insane. While trapped, Ralston keeps a video diary of his every move and thought. Often telling us what time it is and how much water he has left. He also records messages to his family, and this is where much of the heart of the film really is.

Although I knew the outcome of the story, I never felt that Ralston was safe. His life constantly feels in peril and it's not until the camera zooms out from Ralston's place of captivity, that we truly realize how alone he really is and how there is zero hope of anyone finding him. If he is to survive, he must do it on his own.

This is one of the main themes throughout the film, Ralston's yearning to be by himself. The beginning of the film opens with images of crowds of people at various events. Ralston wants to escape this hectic lifestyle so bad that he doesn't even tell anybody where he's going.

Many people would compare 127 Hours to films like Castaway and Open Water, although it doesn't really fit. In Castaway, Tom Hanks had a whole island to explore. In Open Water, there were two characters. 127 Hours can most closely be compared to Buried (also released this year) staring Ryan Reynolds who is trapped in a coffin.

I don't really see why 127 Hours isn't a film for everybody to enjoy. Sure, there is a particular scene that is hard to watch. It's handled with the perfect amount of screen time without making it seem gratuitous, but at the same time, giving it the treatment it deserves in order for it to feel real. During this seen, I could feel the audience squirming in their seats, accompanied by audible groans. The music in this scene is loud and pulsing and many times screeches to deafening decibels in order to convey the anguish that Ralston is going through.

We are lucky to have a film like 127 Hours get a wide release, unlike the aforementioned Buried, which never really saw the light of day. Hopefully people will go see it, proving to studios that people don't mind watching a film that is basically carried by one actor.

Synopsis Of 127 hours

Author: ishaanohri (
10 January 2014

On Friday night 25, April 2003, the engineer goes to the Blue John Canyon, Utah. And on Saturday morning explores the canyon on his bike. He considered the outdoors to be his second home. He over there meets two teenagers –Kristi and Megan who are lost. He helps them and they all have fun for a few hours in a lake. Then Aron continues alone. That day at the peak afternoon he and a boulder fall down in a canyon and his hand is wedged between the boulder and the canyon wall. He makes many tries to pull out his wedged hand and to move the boulder but is unsuccessful every time. He tries to call out for help many times. He spends 127 hours that is more than 5 days with his limited ration. He also tries to chip of the boulder so that he can free his hand but is again unsuccessful. He hopes for someone to rescue him. Those most likely candidates are Kristi and Megan, two women he met earlier that day who are the only two who know that he is in the canyon, or his boss Brion, who may list him as missing if he doesn't show up for his scheduled work time on Tuesday (three days away). he goes through many difficulties and deals with the extreme weather conditions. he spends his time trying to get his hand free and by making a good bye message for his parents, especially his mom. at first he had lost all his hopes and had even engraved ARON RALSTON R.I.P 1975-2003 but in the end, left with no opportunity Aron gathers courage to cut off his hand. He ties elastic with the help of a mountaineering hook on his arm to stop the blood flow. And then with the knife he cuts off his hand. he then finds a way out the canyon and then sees some people and calls for help.

Author: karimkardous from Nevada, United States
28 December 2013

What made this movie in my opinion splendid lies within its sincerity. It is naked in its creation. There is not a scene that is Hollywoodized except maybe the ending: some might argue that the ending of a movie should and is key, and I would consider myself within that class: but in 127 Hours, the climax is the very ending- it Had to intensified- Aron Ralston beautifully portrayed by James Franco has a newfound respect for Human Contact at the very end of the movie. What made the epiphany genuinely real, is, as opposed to epiphanies related to Religion, Politics, Societal conflicts, this one rose from a near-death experience, which tends to be the most honest one of all.

Cheers to Danny Boyle for having achieved very hard directing, namely shooting 90% of the movie with one character having introspections on himself- this could have easily been a calamity, it was anything but!

I highly recommend this philanthropy-oriented movie. I believe the directing and James Franco did a wonderful job and hopefully 127 Hours' success will open more doors for James Franco.

Author: Jayanthan Ravi from India
10 December 2013

I entered the cinema prepared for what I will go through. A story of a person, Aron Ralston, trapped in canyon for 5 days. The story told in a big canvas to bring out his grief and self-pity lines. I couldn't be more wrong.

For a movie with such a premise, it starts of with an amazing musical split screen shots. The first few minutes are a real treat to the eyes, and you get loads of that treat throughout the movie. Split screens, orange sand, the bluer skies and the bluest waters, the visuals just leave you gasping for more.

Danny Boyle doesn't waste time getting into the real story, and the expected fall happens unexpectedly to the viewer with no drama or a dramatic score. There is a brilliant musical score, but silence has been used to a good effect. Surprisingly, once Aron is trapped with the boulder, its not tears and pity all the way. There is humor, self- analysis, struggle, desperation, frustration, planning – a bouquet of human emotions. There is also a point in the film, where even in the deepest hour of crisis Aron is tempted to pleasure himself. I haven't read the book by Aron Ralston, but the movie definitely makes you feel like you are seated in front of him during his crisis. James Franco deserves accolades for his brilliant performance. It's astonishing to see Danny Boyle come out with this amazing biopic, after an India Cinema inspired pot boiler. The narration and the detailing is praise worthy. A R Rahman's music is different and sets the mood of the film. The score is more emotional at times and uses a lot of other composers' tracks.

There is a very hard and disturbing scene, of about few moments, towards the end of the movie which would not be suitable for very weak hearted people. Discount that, this is movie of true hope and courage. Loved the movie. Don't miss this one.