IMDb > 127 Hours (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
127 Hours

127 Hours More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 44: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Possibly James Franco's best movie yet

Author: William Samuel from United States
6 December 2014

Danny Boyle's 127 Hours is the true story of hiker and climber Aron Ralston (James Franco), who spent five days pinned under a boulder at the bottom of a narrow canyon, cut off his arm with a pocket knife, and lived to tell the tale. As you might guess, it is extremely graphic, even disturbing. But even though Aron spends almost 90% of the movie under that boulder, it is never boring. The acting, direction, and editing are such that even when nothing is happening physically, there is something to watch.

That sentence may not seem to make sense at first, so let me explain. Aron's may be trapped bodily, but not mentally, and where-ever his mind goes, we go. Every memory, every hallucination, every vision of what the rest of the world must be doing, we're there for. And through these flashes and snippets, we learn more than if we'd seen the entire previous week of his life. Plus, as in Castaway, he has something to talk to; in this case his camcorder. Trapped, with no hope of rescue and no reason to believe he'll live, he fully bares his soul to the camera, and by extension, us.

His hope and determination, his fear and despair, his past regrets, his struggle to come to terms with his present circumstances, and his growing detachment from reality are all recorded for us to see. The imaginary call-in show near the end is a masterpiece in itself. And even in the sections with no dialogue, Franco's face expressions cue you in on what's happening inside. His mouth and eyes convey an incredible range of emotions and states of mind. Franco has shown himself to be a good actor in the Spider-man trilogy and the highly underrated The Great Raid, now he shows himself to be a great actor.

Although I don't usually do so, I feel I would be amiss if I did not spend some time on the editing and cinematography. The camera work is absolutely amazing. The movie uses long pans, slow zoom outs, rapid tracking shots, and shaky first person footage to capture the beauty and harshness of the desert, give a sense of scale and distance, and lend an authentic, home movie type quality respectively. Frequent use of split screen footage allows us to see the Aron's predicament from every angle, and to simultaneously perceive the reality of the canyon and what's taking place in his mind. And through blurred shots and rapid montages we gain insight into his increasing delirium.

The audio quality is exceptional as well. Whispered comments and the clinking off his knife against the rock are just loud enough to be clearly audible. The cracking of bones and Aron's screams for help are by contrast almost overpowering, and the crackling of thunder is ear-splitting. Which brings me to the special effects; there aren't many of them, but they're very good. The thunder I just mentioned signals the beginning of the best rainstorm I've seen in any film not by Kurosawa. I'm talking buckets upon buckets, a deluge of Biblical proportions. And I don't know how the makeup artists do it, but Franco absolutely looks like he has only one arm in the final segment.

I don't know if there's anything more to be said. 127 Hours is not action packed by any stretch of the imagination. It is not romantic, it is not funny except for parts where you laugh so that you do not cry, and it is certainly not for the faint of heart. But it is moving, inspiring, and a truly great tale of one man's incredible will to survive.

There is not enough stars for this.

Author: coreyjdenford from England
21 November 2014

This film based on true story was filmed Danny Boyle the guy who gave us Trainspotting and 28 Days Later. James Franco plays Aron Ralston who is a climber and takes place between 26th April-1st May 2003. This film is literally exhilarating and tear jerking this film literally made me cry and it is one of the most amazing films I have ever seen in about 4 years.

The story of this film is just outstanding and matches the genre very well the acting from James Franco is perfect why did he not win best actor for this role that he played just really well.

We know that Danny Boyle makes very films 28 Days Later being one of my favorites because he makes great stories and is just wonderful with a camera.

I recommend this film to anyone because it is just wonderful deserves all the Oscars it was nominated for.

Appreciation Of Life And Survival

Author: Desertman84 from United States
5 November 2014

127 Hours is a film that is based on the life of Aron Ralston,a real-life canyoneer that was trapped by a boulder in an isolated slot canyon located at Blue John Canyon in Utah back in 2003.It stars James Franco as Ralston together with Amber Tamblyn and Kate Mara.It was adapted from the personal memoir of the canyoneer entitled Between A Rock And A Hard Place; and it was co-written,co- produced and directed by Danny Boyle.

This is an inspiring story of Aron Ralston's adventure when he becomes trapped in a fallen boulder that crashes on his arm and traps him in isolation.As he tries to escape from his predicament in the next five days,he also discovers virtues that he did not know that he possess such as courage to survive and the ability to escape himself by any means necessary by managing an escape from a trapped 65 foot wall and to ability to hike over 8 miles before he is finally rescued.During the course of his journey,he also realized the value of the people around him like friends,lovers,family and the last two people he had the chance to meet.

The movie was definitely touching and truly remarkable as the viewer will definitely appreciate what life is all about.Added to that,we also manage to learn from it that the trials,sufferings and difficulties aren't experienced to put us down but to makes us stronger and better as a human being.Added to that,we also realize that they also provide us opportunities to discover virtues that we once never had as experienced by Ralston who was trapped and experiencing manic desperation. James Franco truly captured what it is to be in that situation and the film made it possible to transform the conditions that he is into realistically. This is definitely one of the best films ever released during its theatrical release and it will remain to be one for many years to come.

Scooby- Doo where are you?

Author: matthew-brady-404-237416 from good review
24 October 2014

Aron Ralston: "I'm in pretty deep dodo here."

The story is about a mountain climber becomes trapped under a boulder in a remote area near Moab, Utah, he must resort to extreme measures in order to survive.

Danny Boyle once again proves that he is a fantastic director in this movie. The way he shots and show the trouble that are main character goes through, it's truly great. The cinematography in this movie took the wind out of me it's that brilliant. This is James Franco best role I've seen him. He made me care about his character and he almost made my cry a little a bit.

My only nick picks with the film are the goofy scenes with the Scooby-Doo scene. I'm sorry but that scene came out of no where and lost the serious of the movie for me, and I no his seeing things because his losing a lot of blood and he's in a tight space, but still you can't help to ask "What the hell was all that about?".

127 hours is a excellent film with mind blowing camera work and one of the best directing I've seen since Spielberg.

Well spent hours

Author: videorama-759-859391 from adelaide, australia
30 September 2014

First rate and frank story telling about that real life incident, which left a young cave explorer, forced to make a decision, which involved severing one of his arms, wedged between a rock and a hard place. Of course, relying on Franco to steer it, like Hanks in Castaway, again he doesn't disappoint and we're right there with him, feeling the frustration and anger, waiting out those long hours in unforgiving heat. Some beautiful photography, that lake inside that cave, made me jump into it. This is a drama, that makes you appreciate what you can lose, on taking off, and what can result from the irresponsibility of not informing someone of your wherabouts. But when you're gotta go, you gotta go. Franco makes his very natural and human performance, watchable. The end music score of triumph, and hope is fantastic. As though it doesn't really come off as main stream cinema, as a little trite, it's really the movie's message of the human spirit, which is it's main objective.

Great movie even if it did leave me traumatized

Author: juneebuggy from Canada
29 September 2014

It's been a few days since I watched this and I'm still feeling kinda traumatized, I just can't get that scene with the tendon out of my head. All in this is a pretty fantastic movie, beautifully filmed, exciting, multilayered and wow James Franco who, for the most part carries this all by himself.

Its based on the real life events adventurer Aron Ralston faced while trapped in a Utah canyon for five days with his hand stuck under a boulder and how he eventually resorted to desperate measures in order to escape. Ralston filmed a daily video diary while he was stuck and in a lot of the scenes its Franco talking to his little camera, sending a goodbye message to his parents as he gets weaker and weaker from lack of water and his thoughts and (flashback) memories get more bizarre.

There were moments watching this when I actually felt sick and I'm not talking about the obvious parts (those were brutal and I watched "that" scene peeking through my fingers) but the entire movie made me feel anxious, starting with the foreshadowing of him packing, showing all the food and water and him trying unsuccessfully to find his Swiss army knife, just out of reach on the shelf. The scene with the flood is awesome as is the one where he slides down the chute with the two girls -there is no way I could have done that, so freaky. His determination to survive and finally ASK for help is remarkable. 6/28/14

I am surprised that I did not yet write a review of this film that is true honest and uncompromising.

Author: braddugg from India
20 September 2014

It's a bore, un engaging, we saw this many times, yeah he is triumphant but we lost our time. These were the words I heard most from those who saw it coz that's not what it is for me.

It is one of the honest stories I have seen all through last year and even as I saw it now, I could not hold myself from scratching my cheeks hard when the amputation scene came. It's one of the best voyages undertook and our hero Aron has not actually won it but he had to lose something to win life. And that something is priceless.

Aron is an adventurer who frequently ventures into the national parks of UTAH(that's one state of USA I missed last visit and in fact the state that has most national parks.) UTAH is known for it's very Red Indian life style, it's very lively people. But here, most of the movie is shot in canyon, the whole movie is shot in landscapes and specifically only one cliff in the Blue John Canyon.

The way it is shot is so very thrilling that I got everything for minuscule to a macro, just by camera movement. The camera is everywhere, coz we get to know of the tape moving in the video recorder and the drops sprinkling inside the water bottle. Man, the camera work is a lesson to learn and will let us know how to make a simple movie interesting with such great work. Also, the shot has to be placed perfectly placed so I credit the editor for this for he had a very sharp scissor.

Major Credit must be given to James Franco who played the role of the real life star Aron Ralston. The scene in which Aron reaches for the sun light when he is stuck is so terrific and the emotions are so very well portrayed. I can see the pain and the joy at once.

Now, this is one of the very best Blu-rays I have and it's because all the landscapes, the slot canyons, the water jumps, the background music are made so terrific by two things. 1) Cinematography 2) Audiography.

Now, Danny Boyle who perceived this film and made it with conviction has to be praised for bringing out a triumphant story and triumph is actually what we crave for in every story we watch. If the whole of the movie did anything, it just touched me and moved me. Thank you Danny for bringing to light a story worth telling yet again to screen. Thank you very much.

It's 4/5 for a movie that's a must watch without a pause or a break.

A thrilling survival movie based on a true story!

Author: zemill from Sweden
7 August 2014

I remember when I first saw the poster for this movie a couple of years ago. I had no idea what it was about, but the poster caught my attention. I later discovered that the movie was actually based on a true story, of a man who got stuck with his arm between a rock in the middle of nowhere. He then survived for 127 hours (hence the title of the movie) before he cut his own arm off, and got loose.

I didn't actually see the movie 'till only a couple of weeks ago, and man. Did it really excel. The survival elements are excellent, and you can feel the struggle this man is going through. He tries desperately to stay alive and not loose his sanity and by that I mean if he really goes insane , he's done for. James Franco portrays the man who got stuck, the man being Aron Ralston and Franco really delivers. The pacing of the film is also great, which really surprised me. Because it's a movie about a guy who gets stuck in the middle of Grand Canyon, how interesting could that really be? Somehow they kept me on the edge of my seat all throughout the movie, and I'm really happy that I finally saw it after so many years. 127 Hours is one of the best survival movies I have ever seen, period.

The greatest movie ever made..

Author: Diwali_Jumbonads Diwali_Jumbonads (Diwali_Jumbonads@outlook.com) from Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte
5 August 2014

If there is a movie which defines "masterpiece" this will be it. It has been a long time I saw a movie which really surprised me. You will never know what is about to come. And when it ends, you find the glimmering shine of hope. If this movie released against any other film besides Munnabhai M.B.B.S. or Forrest Gump I am sure it will soon sweep the Academy Awards.

I usually don't like watching a fanboy's favorite, but since this movie, i have already gone through a dozen on the top 250 list. Especially those with Morgan Freeman . ALSO Tim Robbins and Tim Hanks. A whole cast brings alive the spirit of 127 Hours. And my suggestion to all who haven't seen it already would be- add this to the top of your to-do-list.

The reasons that this movie is great are: it has incredible acting, incredible story-telling, incredible pace, incredible writing and dialogue, incredible imagery, and an incredible twist and ending.

The Godfather also has these qualities.

Daniel Boil is making a name for himself taking calculated risks with new directors (Hirani, Sarkar of Parineeta) and new talent. Great to see someone in Hollywood sticking their neck out to make something at least plausibly entertaining, not the usual "aging action hero" nonsense.

Fan of such Hope-giving and Inspiring films: 127 Hours

"127 Hours" is a beautiful and stylish true story that will make you thirsty and uncomfortable by just watching one man's extraordinary experience.

Author: Dominic LeRose from United States
4 August 2014

Being stranded with a boulder on top of your arm in the middle of nowhere in Utah while trapped in a canyon for 127 hours is probably one of the most physically and mentally difficult experiences mankind has ever experienced. Believe it or not, this is a true story based on hiker Aaron Ralston's exhausting experience. James Franco plays Aaron, the adventurous nature lover who's life is a little unorganized. When Aaron is hiking in Moab,Utah he meets two girls, enjoys the scenery and then becomes trapped in a canyon with a boulder on top of his arm, not allowing him to escape. Aaron films himself on his camera and uses his food and water supply conservatively. As Aaron reflects on his past life, we see how much he misses his freedom and the measures he's willing to take in order to escape. Danny Boyle films this genius true story with so much beauty that it feels like something out of discovery channel. We see flashbacks of Aaron's life with his childhood, relationships and family that are done very stylishly and are not just simple scenes with traditional dialogue. Boyle uses real-life looking shots of James Franco trapped to make it feel real and transports us to feeling as if we were trapped with him both physically and emotionally. The cinematography of the national park in Utah and beautiful scenes in which we get to feel Aaron's thoughts are the work of genius visual storytellers and put us first hand into the setting of the film. The whole message of this film is to take advantage of life while your able to, or else you'll spend the rest of your time regretting it. While Aaron is trapped, he reflects on how he hasn't worked hard enough on his relationships and how he really hasn't enjoyed life as much as he could have. The respectful tribute at the end to the real-life Aaron Rolston is well done and the ending is a very feel-good crowd pleaser. The main component that helps you feel the experience only the brave Aaron Rolston experienced is James Franco's realistic and beautiful performance. At first we see Aaron as a lazy, chill guy who enjoys clowning around. We get are fun James Franco there until he is trapped and expresses extreme forms of grief and stress as well as sorrow and regret. Franco gives an extremely realistic performance that is one of the best reenactment performances of all time. "127 Hours" is a film that makes us appreciate cinema and life more and hopefully be a warning to stay safe in Utah!