IMDb > 127 Hours (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
127 Hours

127 Hours More at IMDbPro »

Page 14 of 44: [Prev][9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [Next]

Surprisingly great!

Author: J E
13 January 2013

I gotta say, I didn't expect much from this movie. I decided to watch it after seeing some of the reviews on the internet and because people generally say it's one of the best films of 2010.

The film is based on an impressive true story of Aron Ralston who's arm got trapped in a canyon by a huge stone after a clumsy and unfortunate fall. He was stuck for 127 HOURS and was forced to take extreme measures to survive...by amputating his trapped arm himself with a small blade. The story itself is amazing so that wasn't my concern initially. My concern was how is it supposed to be turned into an enjoyable movie, which won't backfire on itself. There wasn't really much going on. Most of the film basically revolves around Aron Ralston being trapped there all alone. How did this movie turn out to be so good then? Two reasons.

First, directing. I haven't watched Danny Boyle's films, so I didn't know what kind of directing to expect. After watching this, I can say that he did a great job. He effectively captured some of the crucial scenes of the movie and he's done it in a way that the film doesn't get too dull at times.

Second, good casting. James Franco did his job perfectly. He displayed great acting during, well, the whole film. I could feel what he was going through and how much he had wanted to just get out of there. Those kind of situations really make you reflect on your whole life and what you've done up to that point, what you could have done and what you want to accomplish before you die. You learn what's really important to you and you realize how little it takes to lose a chance to go on. I mean, he almost lost his life because of a moment of clumsiness and a stone! Franco did well to portray all these emotions. The scene where he cuts his arm made me cringe in my couch! When he got to the nerve...not for everyone, I can tell you that. I gained a lot of respect for Ralston after seeing that. (and I already had a hell lot of respect for the man!) Overall, a pleasant surprise!

I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's the best of 2010., but it's in the top ten for sure.

Cinematic Gold!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
8 January 2013

127 Hours is a little film that I would call cinematic gold. This is a gut-wrenching film that requires very little actors and great directing. Danny Boyle's film is another film that shows why 2010 was one of the greatest year for films ever. 127 Hours will definitely play with emotions effectively. I was feeling the pain that the character felt even though it was only psychological pain.

This film is based on the true story of Aron Raltson and how his hand became trapped under a large boulder. With no help in sight, it's up to Aron to do all he can to survive and get himself free.

James Franco gives one of the best performances of 2010. His portrayal as the confident, know-it-all Aron was emotional and heart-wrenching.

Overall, this is a powerful film that is a great example of telling a story about humans doing what they can to survive. There are some graphic scenes here that are relevant to the story and gut-wrenching as well. This is a well-made film and one of Danny Boyle's best rivaling only Slumdog Millionaire. I rate this film 10/10.

Intense!!!

Author: LiveLoveLead from United States
27 December 2012

The beginning of the move was filmed a little erratic for me. Music, talking, 3 way split screen...hyper, but that seemed to fit Aron Ralston's personality...a quirky, lovin' life, adventurer. They try to film in a way that you see and feel what he sees and feels, which works. The scenery is beautiful...hold your breath! Half way through...WOW! You feel for him, cringe for him, try to help him (from your comfy couch) and most of all pray for him. You will be on the edge of your seat, watching, anticipating, encouraging, and hoping. It's an exhausting ride, but worth it. 8.5 stars in My Humble Opinion -June 2011

Rock On

Author: piratecannon from United States
26 December 2012

Danny Boyle has turned out to be the quite the multifaceted auteur. He's created unique examples of what are possible with both the horror and science fiction genres (at times blending the two), and he's tackled the grim reality of humanity in his Oscar-winning film Slumdog Millionaire. It should come as no surprise, then, that 127 Hours is a beautifully filmed, expertly nuanced story about what fuels both delirium and perseverance.

The movie is based on a true story. In 2003, canyoneer Aron Ralston decided to embark on a weekend hike in a mountainous region of Utah. After miscalculating a step while traversing a crevice, Aron fell down a sheer embankment and had his arm pinned against the cliff face by an oblong boulder. As you'd expect, a previously happy-go-lucky situation turns gruesome in a split-second, and, to make matters worse, it's only a matter of time before Aron depletes his limited supply of water and prepackaged goodies.

A misconception that seems to linger about 127 Hours is that exists for the singular "gross out" moment—you know, when our protagonist realizes his only chance of escape is to whittle away at this trapped arm until a bloody stump is all that remains. In fact, Boyle's film is more focused on Aron's life leading up to the accident, which is wrought with the misgivings of someone who's been much too selfish. As it turns out, it would take something as drastic as facing a life or death situation for Aron to come to grips with his passive-aggressive abandonment of everyone he's ever cared for.

By allowing us into the mind of our lead we're able to experience how a dehydration-fueled delirium brought to light the things in Mr. Ralston's life that actually matter. So integral are these hallucinations that it's sometimes difficult to separate what Aron is really going through as opposed to what's taking place in his mind, but Boyle expertly balances his tale by bringing Aron (and the audience) back to reality when things seem to be utterly lost in a maze of all-too-tangible illusions.

Besides the thematic victories that are embodied in 127 Hours, it's also —quite simply—a movie that's very easy on the eyes. The rolling canyons and red plains make for a stunning backdrop, and the horror unfolding in the small crack Aron inhabits serves as an effective juxtaposition to the sprawling beauty that's just beyond his reach (figuratively, literally, etc.).

In short, Boyle strikes again. Pay the $10 for a ticket and catch this one before it leaves theaters.

Trust me. It's worth it.

Another classic from Boyle

Author: Rob Williams from Clevedon, UK
30 November 2012

Director Danny Boyle's no stranger to producing ground breaking movies, stylishly shot, pounding soundtracks, involving plots and great characters, and '127 Hours' adds to his great resume.

The incredible true story of climber Aron Ralston (James Franco) who whilst exploring the isolated canyons of Utah, slips and find's himself pinned to a canyon wall by a boulder.The hours go by, these turn to days, his water is running out, he come's to the realization that the only way to escape will be to cut his own arm off....with a blunt pocket knife.

There are similarity's to the excellent 'Buried' but this is a different kind of film as we experience flashbacks into Aron's past, how he became a selfish 'loner', he makes a video diary, expressing his regrets at not caring for others as much as he should have.Franco is excellent, the scene when he films an imaginary talk show with himself is brilliantly acted and also a great comedy moment.

Don't let the subject matter put you off (yes it will make you wince-the sound effect when he cuts through a nerve!!!!) this is a great film, finely acted and beautifully shot, and in some sort of sense, a feel good flick!

Should rely less on flashbacks and focus more on the present survival skills

Author: Kong Ho Meng
18 November 2012

I do not know how accurate this film is to the actual case, but it has done a good job to cover as much as possible portraying a realistic simulation of such incident. However the film could have done more to reveal certain things -- like how does he poop, how does he stay clean and, how does he not grow his facial hair etc... I am pretty sure the director or screenwriter should know the answers to these issues when they have done enough research and interview on the actual victim himself. It is not an excuse to avoid displaying these survival skills which could have been far more interesting than the too many flashbacks that were being used

Cinematography is unique and Franco did well to carry out probably one of his first main roles in a film.

People will certainly remember this film for a long time for its particularly outstanding climax scene.

Very good

Author: Chris L from France
9 October 2012

Before watching it, the question that obviously comes to mind is: "How is Boyle going to build a whole movie about this "static" story ?".

Well, he did more than well actually, juggling perfectly with the emotions that drive Aron, you really feel empathy for him throughout the film and that's what was captivating in my opinion, even though you already knew the story and the ending. Some of the flashbacks were meaningless though, it felt like padding to make it more dynamic and interesting.

James Franco's performance is outstanding, same goes for Boyle's cinematography, the soundtrack and the sound recording.

Another Danny Boyle film that you'll love!

Author: jimmy_james777 from Australia
25 August 2012

I liked it, wasn't one of my favourites but it was a unique film. I am a fan of Danny Boyle's work as he creates such colourful and eventful films, 127 Hours was no different. I really enjoyed how we as an audience felt like we were in the mind of the trapped mountain climber, Aron and it allowed the audience to be engaged greatly! However, this movie has the bloodiest scene I have ever seen! You've been warned.

My favourite character was Aron Ralston.(James Franco) Rven though he's in like 99% of the movie, you have to love him! He's crazy, bubbly, outgoing, fun, wild. He will be riding his bike at a crazy speed and then fall over and then laugh and take a picture of it. I loved the scenes where he met the girls as he is crazy around them, but kind. He's funny but doesn't make the girls uncomfortable. When he is going insane after being trapped for days, he starts pretending he is on a talk show as he speaks to the video camera. He was interesting regardless of the fact he was either dead or had to lose his arm

I would recommend it to young adults, not young teens or kids, as they most likely will get bored from it for they won't comprehend what is happening and also because of the bloody scene. But anyone else, it's a must watch!

These kind of movies are often the hardest one to create. Because you're writing about one situation at one place and you need to stretch it out into an hour and a half film while keeping the audience interested. Danny Boyle and James Franco succeeded while not straying away from what really happened. The movie had ups and downs, highs and lows and that added to the realism of the film. Feeling like we were in the mind of Aron, added to the film's tension!

Great Movie!

Author: mononinja from United States
21 July 2012

Well It would have had a higher rating if it he didn't cut off his hand. But he did. Ughh Spoiler alert spoiler alert. I'm such a jerk sometimes i guess. Anyway Danny did it right this time he is an awesome director anyway. It had good acting in it too. Amber Tamberlyn was great too, even though she was barely in the movie though. It had a lot of scenes where he wasn't trapped in the boulder. I mean I thought it would be bigger, that's what she said. anyway great movie I could watch it again. James Franco was awesome. he needs to be in another superhero movie, he was great in the Spiderman movies and Harry Osbourne. The Amazing Spiderman was awesome too go see that!

"I'm in pretty deep doo-doo here."

Author: classicsoncall from United States
14 July 2012

I knew the story well enough when it happened, but didn't commit to the film when it came out because of the subject matter. I'm not keen on self mutilation and frankly, I get queasy just thinking about cutting one of my own limbs off. But there was a larger story here that compelled me to pick up the film today and give it a shot. There had to be some inspirational take-away from a movie about a man who was forced to make a supreme sacrifice in order to survive, and in that respect, the picture is one of hope and triumph against all odds. I'm not going to be one of those bashers who condemn Aron Ralston (James Franco) for abandoning better judgment on that fateful day, even though I did find it odd that he had all that technical gadgetry and no cell phone. If I'm Aron Ralston, I'm kissing the ground I walk on every day for the rest of my life, content in the knowledge that there exists a Higher Power and a role we're given in life to be an inspiration to others.