IMDb > A Single Shot (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Dark and thrilling

Author: Awonderlich from United States
20 August 2013

I had never heard of this movie, but I found it on On Demand for purchase before the actual release date. I wasn't expecting much as I had never heard of it - but this movie was so good - it was almost hard to watch. I found myself getting up and having to walk out of the room because at times it was almost too painful (in a good way). Every actor was amazing from the accents, to demeanor, and wardrobe. I felt like the movie was actually happening before my eyes.

Sam Rockwell has always been a great actor - but in this movie - I kept forgetting it was even him. This was a great role for him and I hope to see more of him in future movies.

I recommend this dark, creepy and suspenseful movie. Be prepared to squirm!

I really enjoyed this movie..

Author: scottibailey-997-291611 from Vancouver, BC
3 October 2013

I love Sam Rockwell. He picks great projects and this no exception. This is not a fast paced feature but I story I really enjoyed. Maintained a great tension and foreboding throughout which I really enjoy in a film. This is a simple story with some great twists and turns. Starts out slow like a slow burn and then ramps up quickly. This story is believable and has no real holes in it. It's a story you can relate to in that it seems very plausible and believable. You feel the characters fear and tension with the situation he finds himself in. This is a slow paced thriller that is well filmed and the performances are excellent.

Slow atmospheric backwoods thriller worth a single shot.........

Author: stylegamer from malaysia
27 August 2013

Went into this movie expecting some sort of cat and mouse game or a "Vacancy" like thriller about persons being taken down one after another, but as pleasantly surprised to find its neither, Instead its feels like an backwoods thriller evoking a particular emotional or aesthetic quality through a combination of acting, visuals and realism shots . It feels as if one is there to experience the story as it happened to u personally of someone who had committed a crime covered it up and the mental trauma of going through blackmail only to realise that those around u cant be trusted. i would have to agree for most part i was engrossed guessing about whats happening on screen for most of the time. Of course there is ample drama revolving around relationships and characters caught up in their own world. pretty much half the show revolves around this and the main central character keeping his cool around a sticky situation he is caught up in

An atmospheric thriller that grips you in parts from the opening scene together with the bleak finale

The result will please some, others not, keeping their reservations about the movie . Tells a strange story of mystery and horror, which plays-mostly-in the majestic surroundings of a rural countryside during a dark winter or near spring season . Most of the film has dark or muted color tones of the backwoods and rural landscape

With some good visuals aesthetics and successful direction of actors, the movie creates from a tense opening of a woman being killed and into thriller that evolves into a mostly psychological movie. A movie mystery where the silences, inactivity of most part of the show and the images reflect the intuitions, intentions and sensations of persons through scenes depicting from a troubled guilty character huddled in the corner of the house's lone bathroom , the sole light of a single lamp or inviting illumination from the winter sun through the tree tops tells a story to the viewer

The film also seems to accurately depict what happens in mostly backwoods or rural countryside town where a few shady characters co exist with normal everyday people. Most of the movie revolves around this premise and examining the morality of both sets of characters

The show starts off a bleak and sorrowful scene t though halfway it seems to lose track to a family drama and a witch hunt only to regain back at the final minutes

Overall worth a watch, one of the movies u would like to see on a week off day or vacation.

A serious and dark movie

Author: scott1953 from United States
21 September 2013

This is a serious movie for serious viewers. Sam Rockwell gives a convincing performance as John Moon, a West Virginia cracker who stumbles into bad luck from the opening seen. All of the characters bring to life what it's probably like to live in a rural, poor area in flyover country. The accents of the characters are often thick, which can make it difficult to understand some of the dialog, but the plot nonetheless comes through clearly. Rockwell's character progresses from being a dumb cracker to someone you care about, as the tension builds towards a final resolution of his accidental and potentially deadly predicament. The acting and direction are first rate. The cinematography fits the story; the musical score does likewise. The story is dark, in a Jack London sort of way. You won't be inspired, but you might be brought closer in touch with the human condition.

An exquisitely dark, rural, all-American series noir.

Author: jdeureka from France
10 April 2014

This is an exquisitely dark, rural, all-American series noir. Plot line and moral being: a good man goes bad, because that's the way things can be, the way things are. Nature -- human or otherwise, isn't kind. Mistakes happen. And you often pay for them in the wilderness of this world we live in alone and altogether. Chance has its way of crushing you, burying you alive. Watch out. Plus, aside from a potent story line, the acting is downright first rate. Not a single one of the actors are off key. I don't know who did the casting for "A Single Shot", but they deserve an award for it. Also exquisite in this film is the ending -- one of the most original examples of "open ended" I've ever seen in a film. You've got to be in a dark, worried mood to like this film; its darkness is relentless. "A Single Shot" is not for everyone; in no way is it "G" or "GP". But for thoughtful adults it is very well worth the watching.

Dark Grimmy Psychological Thriller... a little too long

Author: SnoopyStyle
26 August 2013

Sam Rockwell is John Moon, a poacher living in poverty ridden backwoods. His father lost their family farm to the bank. His wife played by Kelly Reilly has left him taking their child with her. He is struggling to accept this.

Then one day on a hunt, he runs across a dead girl, an overturned truck, and a box full of money. He takes the money, and abandons the body. Except somebody comes looking for the money and knows John took it. It becomes psychological combat as the mysterious person try to force John to divulge where the money is.

The gritty grim of overwhelming poverty is well done. Everybody looks like they just did meth. However there are too many scenes of nothing happening as John Moon walks around hunting. It adds nothing that isn't already there. They are better off trimming those scenes to lessen the 2 hours running time and pick up the pace.

Digging Your Own Grave

Author: LeonLouisRicci from United States
4 April 2014

Grim and Gloomy, this Neo-Noir is a Cold Thriller that is Atmospheric and Character Driven. There are some Scary People and some Scary Moments in this Tale of Small Town, Backwoods Glum.

The Tone is a Titillating Grab the Money and Cover Up the Crime Film that Feels Alienated and Familiar, Interesting and Foreboding. Sam Rockwell Leads a Cast of Familiar Faces that are Buried in Deep Alcoholic Mumbles Punctuated with Low IQ's and High Energy.

It Twists and Turns in the way it is On Again Off Again as the Protagonist is Pulled Here and There by His Own Missteps and the Forces of Evil. It is an Intriguing Film, mostly, Hampered Somewhat by some Sloppy Plot Executions in the Middle.

There are some Ambiguous Motivations and Dialog along the way, but the Beginning and the Ending are Enough to make this a Fine, Modern, Desperate Exercise in Temptation, Fate, and a Revelation that Yes, it is a Scary World out there and can be all the more Terrifying if You take the Wrong Turn on that Rural Road.

Familiar moody premise, but mature execution that pays off in the end.

Author: Sergeant_Tibblash from Suffolk, England
8 September 2013

Although A Single Shot has a familiar moody premise, its mature execution makes it worth watching. Matthew F. Jones adapted the screenplay from his own novel and it does quite show that there's something novelistic about its structure. Our protagonist spends most of his time weaving between encounters with characters he knows well about business we see the half of. Jones has himself a rich world and we're only seeing a peek at it. It does mean that he gets wrapped up in a little too much and it feels like the first two thirds of the film feel slow and unfocused. But it's all worth it for the third act. Now, that part is new to me. Absolutely nail- biting climax, heart-breaking buildup and a great ambiguous ending. Shame they saved all the punches for the that last half an hour rather than the first ninety. Unfortunately, as characters mumble and grumble so much, I could only catch about a quarter of what people were saying until I needed subtitles and that severely affected my emotional investment and my knowledge of what was going on. I could figure out the broad strokes though. The performances all round were good, Jeffrey Wright is a tragic standout. Sam Rockwell dissolves into his role which is a good thing and a bad thing since I love it when he turns his charm on. Good solid thriller.

Beautiful and haunting render of modern times.

Author: shanyman from United Kingdom
29 August 2013

A superb film upon which our grasp of perception and reality has been exquisitely en-captured in a heart wrenchingly yet sober filled drama.

We are involved from the very start in the life of a blue collar worker who has a dark, yet ambiguous human option. The darker of this option he takes unfortunately. The final part of the film has some memento style cleaning of his history (without the time travel) whilst progressing successfully a personal and thrilling characterisation of our lead character.

I found this film a tribute and somewhat "ordinary" Sam Rockwell film. "Ordinary" in this review is built upon other films he has acted in and which can be construed as "OUTSTANDING". Great film, watch it.

Much better the second time around

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
22 September 2013

I saw this in the middle of covering the Tribeca FIlm Festival and a crushing slate of 75 films. My reaction to the film was to like it but not love it. However when I had a chance to sit down and see it on VOD I found that many of my earlier reservations fell away.

The plot of the film has a down on his luck guy living off in the woods by himself. One of the things he does is to poach the local wild stock. When he accidentally shoots a young woman his efforts to hide what happened brings him violently into contact with some very bad people.

A modern noir film the film works largely thanks to the performance of Rocwell who manages to make you feel sympathy for his character even though he's done some bone head stuff. It also doesn't hurt to have the supporting cast he does backing him up.

WHile not a perfect film it is much better than it's reputation or it's IMDb number suggests it is.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]