IMDb > Blair Witch (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Blair Witch

Blair Witch More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

One of the most over-hyped letdowns of 2016.

Author: kctx85 from Texas
15 September 2016

So much for months of hype starting with The Woods trailer months ago which was eventually revealed to be this film.

You want scary? You won't find it here unless you've never seen one of the Insiduous/Paranormal Activity/Conjuring clones to come out in the past 5 years. It uses the exact same scare tactics that made those films so successful, bringing nothing but a completely derivative experience to the table.

This completely failed to capture anything that made the original such a disturbing experience. They replaced subtlety and dread with loud sound effects, jump scares, and video game glimpses of cliché figures.

Did you see VHS? Did you handle it well? Congrats, you'll have zero problems sitting through Blair Witch. The first segment of VHS and the religious cult segment of part 2 are both scarier than the entirety of this film.

The worst part is Wingard and his crew don't even attempt to bring any original story elements to the table. This is literally a rehash of the original story with more characters and a flying drone with updated cameras. And don't expect to have the experience enhanced by any of these.

It's funny that even with the new expanses in technology they still couldn't make this thing more interesting than something that was filmed with 1999 equipment.

This isn't a spiritual successor to The Blair Witch Project, it's a found footage jump scare film for millennials who loved VHS and Paranormal Activity. I'm stumped as to who this was even made for. Certainly not people who saw the original in 1999 like me. We're a little too old to fall for this shtick.

just a bunch of people running around and screaming

Author: booyouwhoree from California
26 November 2016

This movie was absolute trash. the first hour is nothing but predictable crap. it doesn't even have any scary scenes! people die yeah, but they don't even show how they died they just scream and then their on the floor. its not scary at all. and there are only TWO scenes where the cameras capture some spooky stuff. only 2! and they turn out to be just 1 second views of the "witch". this movie was a major letdown and i am not impressed at all. i was literally doing commentary of some parts of the movie where i would have changed it and added WAY more scary stuff. if you're looking for a movie using home tapes and cameras, i suggest paranormal activity. it is way better than this movie. i question how this movie got out into theaters. should have gone straight to Netflix or Hulu. the production value was weak.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Author: Platypuschow
2 December 2016

I was surprised when the mysterious woods movie turned out to be a direct Blair Witch Project sequel and this excited me. After literally starting a genre with the original on no budget I figured they'd perform miracles with 5 million dollars! Trouble is, they really didn't. In fact I'd say they really really really REALLY didn't. Blair Witch follows the same formula as the original, in that the movie is 90 minutes of found footage, poor character development, thinly veiled storyline, shaky camera fleeing and lots and lots of screaming.

If you are expecting further additions to the Blair Witch mythology you will be sorely let down as this is essentially more like a higher budget remake of the original than a sequel and damn near nothing happens yet again.

I figured that regardless this could never be as bad as Blair Witch 2: Book Of Shadows but incredibly I was wrong as this is truly unconditionally dire.

Awful, abhorrent and wholly embarrassing for everyone involved

Author: manuelasaez from New York
26 December 2016

I am not a huge fan of the original, but I can still appreciate what it did for cinema when it was released. It brought back horror to horror films, and its influence can still be felt to this day. This film, however was so awful, it has completely tarnished its legacy, and ruined what could have been one of the most successful reboots inn horror movie history.

The worst offender was the cast; what a sorry collection of unlikable idiots. All three couples were awful and completely ruined whatever sympathy you might have had for them as a group. You have the clueless and simple-minded lead male character, his unnecessary and ANNOYING black friend, his useless and annoying girlfriend, and the even more useless fourth wheel female lead. Then they bring in two podunk Hicks from some state no one cares about, and the movie just gets worse from there (if that were even possible). I don't know if it was the fact that the film rarely showed anything that was truly scary, and was so tame compared to the original, but it was just so sophomoric, like it was aiming to entertain children aged 13-25. These are the worst types of films; movies made and aimed at the lowest hanging fruit of movie go'er.

Overall, this movie will be forgotten like the dreck it is, and no one will miss it. It is awful, embarrassing, and an insult to anyone who has a remotely passing interest in horror films. Avoid this completely, and do not let anyone trick you into seeing it. It is dreadful. What an awful crock of S#!t.

The Cheap Scare Project

Author: Dandy_Desmond from United Kingdom
1 November 2016

Found footage films are more often than not boring and irritating.

Some are good and try and give the audience something different. Sadly Blair Witch doesn't even attempt to offer anything new. At all.

All this movie offers is lots of shots of trees by flashlight and one of my particular irritations - the cheap jump scare. This is the jump scare that has no pay off, such as one character turning round and there is another character that appears out of nowhere and BOOM! - leading to the first character saying 'don't do that!'

Garbage.

If your idea of fun is watching a group of boring people running around in the dark for over an hour, screaming then this is the movie for you.

How I laughed at the skinny naked woman briefly seen now and then. Its like a computer game monster.

The Blair Witch seemingly has the ability to bend time at her will. Seemed to work on me too, I thought this turkey would never end.

Two Major Warnings

Author: agispir
2 January 2017

Guys, I saw that movie yesterday. I think that I have to warn you (people who have not seen that and are planning to watch it some time in the future) about two major things:

Warning 1: 95% of the movie is night close shots with a shaking camera to either persons or tree leaves and bushes, shots that will not make you understand anything.

Warning 2: 95% of the movie script is just calling out loud the names of the heroes: PETER! JAMES! LISA! etc.

I would like to write more but I think there is everything included in the two warnings above.

Conclusion: It seems that I eventually lost one and a half hour of my life... pointlessly... meaningless things... better be more cautious next time.

Ashley?... Ashley! .... Ashley!!!

Author: pazu7 from North Hollywood, Ca
6 January 2017

Shhh.... Did you hear that?... Peter?... Peter?!... Peter!... Peeeter!!... Ashley!...Ashley?... Ashley!....ASHLEY!... Aaaashleeey!!... Aaashleeey!....James?... Jaaames!...Lisa!... Liiisaaaa!... Peter?... Peter!!!.... Lane?... Laaane?.... Talia?... Talia!.... Ashley?... James???... Lisa? ... Liiisaaaa!... HEY! All of you just shut the f**k up! It's over! OK? Take it down a notch. It's finally done. What started in 1999 with a unique low-budget, cleverly executed and promoted, and genuinely creepy little indie film, finally ended in 2016 with a ridiculous corporate big-budget hackneyed piece of shhhh...did you hear that?... Ashley?... Ashley?.... ASHLEY!

Well I personally loved it.

Author: Necrotard from United States
20 September 2016

It's 16 years too late for most people, but this was EXACTLY what I wanted from a Blair Witch sequel.

I found it very effective and I loved the story. With the exception of the unethical marketing campaign, it has everything that made the first movie effective and then some. (Yes, I know the marketing is MOSTLY what people found effective about the first film, but that magic can never be captured again, so let it go.)

My only complaint is that there were too many false jump scares.

If you're not burnt out on found footage and you're open to the idea of a Blair Witch sequel, give it a shot.

There's not much else to say without spoilers. I just wanted to stop by and offset some of the hate.

You can't win either way, Blair Witch

Author: AdrenalinDragon from United Kingdom
16 September 2016

What were people expecting? The same movie as the original, or something extremely different? As for me, I thought Blair Witch was a pretty good modern take on the series. Is it perfect? No. Is it the same as the original? Well, they become quite tonally different halfway. In the second half, the new one tries something different at the cost of people moaning about it revealing too much now.

I personally am glad the new Blair Witch is not exactly the same. I thought it was logical for the sequel to build up from its simplicity to something more intense. The last 20 minutes in particular was quite nerve-wracking, and the ending is no worse than what the original Blair Witch Project did. I think the problem is that when The Blair Witch Project came out, it was a groundbreaking low budget film that made its scariness effective though simplicity.

The new Blair Witch didn't want to retread the "exact" same ground the entire time, so they tried to make the second half different to try and appease the people who found the first film boring as hell. The result is mixed on people saying it's too different from the original, or too similar to other found footage films. I think they got the balance just right here, and the characters for the majority of the time made reasonable decisions and had good equipment with them to justify all of the recording and situations they were in.

If there's a significant flaw I can point out with it, then the "jump scares" were maybe done too much to the point where a character says to stop doing that. However, make no mistake, this movie is pretty terrifying. I still prefer the original though, but of all the found footage movies I've seen, Blair Witch has quite a significant amount of effort put into it.

7.5/10

A Great And Decent R-Rated Movie.

Author: himes-38118
19 September 2016

James Donahue finds a recently-uploaded video, containing an image which he believes to be his sister Heather who disappeared in the woods near Burkittsville, Maryland while investigating the legend of the Blair Witch. Believing she is still alive, James makes plans to head into the woods, accompanied by friends Peter Jones, Ashley Bennett, and film student Lisa Arlington, who wants to make her own documentary based on James' search. Local residents Talia and Lane, who uploaded the footage from a video tape they found in the woods, join them on their search.

Upon entering the woods, Ashley cuts her foot while the group is crossing a shallow creek. Setting up camp for the night, Lane and Talia discuss the disappearance of Heather's film crew, as well as other mysterious occurrences in the region, all of which they ascribe to the Blair Witch. After hearing noises in the woods during the night, and after inexplicably oversleeping until 2.00pm, they find strange stick figures twined together hanging from the trees surrounding their camp. Unnerved, the four friends elect to head home, despite Lane and Talia's reluctance. Lisa notices a roll of twine in Lane's backpack and accuses him of crafting the stick figures as a prank. Lane and Talia are kicked out of the group, after admitting to the ruse. After several hours' walking, the four arrive back at their original campsite, their GPS information proving to be inaccurate. Lisa sends up a drone to obtain an aerial fix of their location, but it malfunctions and crashes into the trees. Ashley develops a fever and becomes bedridden. The team is forced to camp again as night falls and Peter goes to gather firewood. After hearing strange sounds, he is chased by an unseen force which causes a tree to collapse, gravely wounding him. James, hearing Peter's cries, searches for him but only finds his flashlight by the collapsed tree.

During the night, James and Lisa hear more sounds outside their tent. Moments later, Lane and Talia emerge looking haggard, claiming they have been wandering in the woods for five or more days without a single sunrise. Believing that he is hallucinating, Lane runs off while Talia begs for food and then sits by the fire and stares blankly. The following morning, James and Lisa are stunned to find that the sun indeed has not risen. Emerging from their tents, they discover many stick figures, much larger than those crafted by Lane, surrounding their camp. Talia recognizes clumps of her own hair tied to one of the stick figures. Ashley awakens and, devastated by the news of Peter's disappearance, blames Talia for their plight, spitefully snapping her stick figure in half. Talia then crumples to the ground, her body grossly mangled, twisted and broken, before an invisible presence attacks and causes them to flee in blind panic. Ashley gets separated and removes a strange object out of her leg, inexplicably embedded in her wound. She falls to her death trying to recover the drone, stuck high in a nearby tree. The camera shows her body being dragged out of the frame by an unseen force.

A rainstorm envelops the woods as Lisa and James stumble outside a house which matches the one seen in Lane's video. James looks up and believes he spots his sister in an upstairs window. Despite Lisa's pleas, he enters the house and becomes trapped in an upstairs room. Lisa is terrified by the brief sight of an emaciated entity and runs inside, ending up in the basement. She finds a crazed and now heavily-bearded Lane, who traps her in an underground tunnel. Lisa forces herself through the narrow and muddy crawlspace and emerges back in the basement and stabs Lane in self-defense. Chased by the entity she glimpsed outside, Lisa runs upstairs, seeing the same reflection in the mirror that James thought was his sister. She reunites with James and they flee to the attic and lock the door behind them. A bright white light passes through the cracks and windows of the attic before the door is forced open. James tells Lisa to face the corner of the room. He desperately apologizes to Lisa for their fate before the Blair Witch causes him to think that his sister is speaking to him. James turns around and dies. Lisa uses Lane's camcorder to indirectly view what is behind her and begins walking backwards in the hope she can escape. She hears the witch imitate James' words of apology again and, believing him to be alive, turns around before being attacked off-screen. The camera abruptly drops to the floor. The screen cuts to black.

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]