IMDb > The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
Page 10 of 47: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

My advice: Go see it!

Author: Nia Lara from Spain
12 September 2013

I saw the film and went surprised, much better than I was expecting. I really enjoyed the film.

The film is based in the books, not is an adaptation, but kept the same concept. Noteworthy that the actors did a great job, has been very good the selection of actors. I love the storyline of this film. Very good effects and setting.

The film is intended for a teenage audience and not so adolescent. They have eliminated certain things from the book that are childish, giving more maturity.

The film has had some very harsh critics and after seeing the movie, I don't understand it. Luckily I ignored the bad critics and went to see the movie and I liked it.

Great movie and waiting see the next part.

A surprisingly wonderful treat!!!

Author: Jennifer C from United States
26 August 2013

I actually didn't want to watch this movie. So i went in, expecting for it to be a total bore and to hate every minute of it. However, i ended up really really liking it! The acting was great, the cast was perfect and the effects were awesome.

it's sad to see so many bad reviews and i hope people don't let that stop them from watching this movie. i never write reviews but seeing all the bad reviews i was worried that it would harm the sequel's chances of coming to film - though it still seems to be good to go.

i haven't read this book nor have i even heard of it. i am an unbiased viewer and this movie totally blew me away! it pains me to read about people comparing this to twilight! give this movie a shot. all i know is i cant wait to get this DVD!

Professional critics need to get a reality check

Author: riddikulusoflondon from United States
25 August 2013

I rarely write reviews but i saw this movie without reading the books beforehand and found it to be a really good movie. Yes, the plot clearly borrowed from other franchises such as Star Wars ("Clary and Jace, I am your father.") and the aforementioned love triangle that screams YA novel drama. OK so my rebuke to the professional critics out there: This film is based on a book series. Let me clue you in to what that entails: 1.) It will not be original because the series would not have gotten published because publishers know what story lines sell in this genre. All stories can be hearkened back to pre-existing ones, even Romeo and Juliet had a predecessor (or 4) 2.) The story on screen is somewhat constrained to the story set forth by the novels.

Me, I loved this movie, graphics were fantastic (On Par with Marvel's and the Hobbit franchises), great cast, great characters, and a good start to a series i really want to see more of.

So if you are a realistic viewer of movies and are not expecting to see the next Oscar winner, please go see this movie and kick some dirt in the face of nut-bag reviewers like Bruce Ingram of the Chicago Sun-Times, Jeannette Catsoulis of the New York Times, and Scott Bowles of USA Today to name a few.

I had very high hopes for this movie and

Author: rodrilover17
21 August 2013

it was everything i had hoped for and more. there were changes from the book to the movie like the fact that Simon doesn't turn into a rat but all the changes i was perfectly OK with.

I cannot begin to tell you how much i loved the movie.i will definitely see it a couple more times.

I recommend it for fans of the books and everyone else my sister went and she had no idea what she was walking into and she ended up loving the movie.

I really hope it does well at the box office to see the second installment of this fascinating story in this wonderful world.

Go see it now whatever your doing stop and go to the theatres to see this movie.

p.s don't trust rotten tomatoes

A really fun and entertaining fantasy film go see it and enjoy!

Author: dhammond64 from London
24 August 2013

Went to see this film despite some not so good reviews and also after reading the books. Was so glad I did. Thoroughly enjoyed. I guess if I were to compare to any other fantasy type it would be along the lines of Harry Potter but a teen version. But don't write this film off as 'just for teens' just because it has teens in it. That would be like saying Harry Potter is 'just for kids' because it has a lot of kids in it. Overall the acting was good, casting of the characters accurate, except I was a bit worried about the character Valentine and Jonathan Rhys Myers who was cast in that role. I doubted he would work out. Happily I was proved wrong. Valentine's character has been cast well, as Jonathan Rhys Meyers brings to life the vile hostility and obsessional personality that the character Valentine has. So with that, just had to give Mortal Instruments 10/10. Went to see this with my husband who has never read the books and he enjoyed. Therefore would recommend this film to anyone who likes fantasy films that are action packed and also fun. Finally, I really wish people would stop comparing every fantasy film that is being made post Twilight with Twilight as the acting in this film is good, anything but wooden and it isn't a Vampire film so why are these comparisons being made? To compare this film to Twilight, is to compare Twilight to Pirates of the Caribbean, simply outrageous. Go see it for yourself but don't go in there with the view to review, just enjoy.

If only they didn't feel they had to push it so far

Author: Ayal Oren from Israel
22 August 2013

It's a nice film adaptation of a fairly nice teen fantasy. It follows the book fairly well at least in the spirit, until about two thirds of the film are done with. But then it goes too far, and even commits the unforgiven sin of adding a spoiler that the books kept as a secret for almost full three volumes. The rest is fairly well done. The acting is all right, the story as has been mentioned is not the most original but it's not all that derivative too. The look is true to this era of cinematic magic, in which CG can make everything look real enough. The whole thing would've been so much better if only the script showed a bit more respect to the original story. There are no real excuses for a few very significant changes from the original taking place in the last 30 minutes or so of the film. I've already complained about this Hollywood phenomenon, but it seems to me once again that the script writer's ego simply got in the way.

A great world which wasn't exploited

Author: Mihai Toma from Romania
30 August 2017

Clary is apparently an ordinary girl with a normal life, but when she starts drawing a strange sign and sees things and people ordinary humans cannot, she is introduced by Jace to a supernatural world in which werewolves and demons coexist. As a shadowhunter, Jace is in charge with maintaining peace by fighting against demons, and thus, he helps Clary find her missing mother which holds deep secrets regarding her origins, childhood and special gifts.

This movie features a great fictional world, full of monsters and magic places in which Clary and her friends must fight for survival and a for magical object. It looks great and the CGI is truly awesome but that is about it. Except some thrilling fights, there is nothing more to amaze you. I had the impression I was watching a soap opera much more times than I thought it was an action film. Too much romance, or things related to it, look there's father, look there isn't father and such nonsense instead of focusing on the interesting part of the plot. In addition, almost everything related to Clary in the action part seems too superficial and not very well thought, when I was expecting a bit more implication from her. Instead, she focuses of figuring out which boy she "loves" more, thus deriving from the main idea which could have provided a lot more than her sentimental interests.

It could have been a great movie if it had done what this movie is all about. It had potential, it had a good idea, it had a great SF world but as always, they didn't know what to do with them. Big shame…

i have mixed feelings about this movie

Author: the greek geek reviews from Greece
30 July 2017

OK just wow werewolves some vampire things that come at night, things "special" people can see,an academy about those things No i'm your father moments.The movie feels like what if twilight,Persona 3, Harry Potter and some parts from Star Wars had a child. They were some good fight scenes. the Romance was terrible especially at the end. The concept was good. and the list goes on when i will find something good i will find something bad

Very poor performance

Author: konobarlives from Croatia
6 January 2017

Can't really add anything not mentioned before.

But must say it's funny how most good reviews are made by profiles who ONLY ever commented on this movie...friends/family members much? :P Shame IMDb is corrupt with ratings based in this way any1 with enough fake account's/friends can rate up even worse of production's... Overall utter junk compiled from little of every series/movie u can think of from Dracula to Buffy the vampire slayer.

Sad attempt at scrounging some cash from fans...

Would recommend to watch only to producer's/director's who wanna learn how NOT to make movie.

I loved this movie!!!!

Author: ameliantrinity
2 January 2017

I thought this was a great movie it went along with the book. It did however leave some stuff out but what movie based on a book doesn't. I can overlook that its way better than the TV show. I want to know when are they gonna come out with the NEXT one?!?! The characters were well picked and they did a great job playing their parts. I am so serious about another movie I think the producer and everyone period done a great job. No movie is perfect so what it kept my attention the whole time. So I have to say I was entertained and have watched it several times and and it still catches my attention. I honestly can't stand the TV series. It goes way to far from the books and disappointed me this movie was awesome.